Remember when Peter told protestors to fuck off?

Remember when Peter told protestors to fuck off?

this is actually Ditko's last Spider-man issue, funnily enough

Do they have to retcon everything?

can you honestly say you never did anything you regret in college

Wow, fucking Marvel forcing politics in their comics

This seems more in-character for Spidey honestly.

that's not a retcon, that's an adult expressing regret over something he did in college

Peter was 100% in the right here. If you're protesting you're taking time out of /your/ day to stand up for something /you/ care about. Don't get pissed off when people don't want to do the same.

I'm with Pete I hate when people try to rope me into shit

>Protesting a protest meeting for the group of people you are already protesting with.
It seems out of character for him not to think they're retards.

He doesn't even yell at them; he just asks to be left alone.

damn look at that last panel

pete doesn't get that pissed at norman he must really hate hippies

Hey, I've heard Lawrence Welk, I understand how bad an insult that was.

does pete even have a cousin?

clones don't count.

He also was all for the civil rights marches in the 70 during superior spider-man so fuck off Sup Forums

Bad form. Basically shitting on Ditko.

>in the 70 during superior spider-man
I think it's you who needs to fuck off.

did I get the year wrong? Whatever my point remains that he was cool with it and later was even pro anti-gun laws so fuck off

people can be talented and have dumb ideologies, they're not mutually exclusive

>told protestors to fuck off?

>N...No thank you. I have to get to class!

Ditko is an amazing artist. Ditko is also a Randroid loon whose beliefs deserve to be shat on.

>In the 70 during superior spider-man.
Not even the same century, bro. Also, of course he's anti-gun he's had traumatic experiences. What I /assume/ you're referring to is the incident with Randy Robertson, but I can't be sure because you called it Superior . In which case, he wasn't necessarily for them. He was just upset that he caused a public freak out, yelled at them, and essentially called them retards.

I'm assuming that panel where Spidey is talking about Ayn Rand is from an actual Marvel comic where a writer is taking the piss out of that Ditko story. If it's not and it's just an edit then I retract my complaint.

The actual page in OP doesn't show Parker doing anything wrong, even if you're a liberal. It clearly shows that the protesters Parker blows off are just causing trouble to get their pictures in magazines and skip classes. You can say that's a strawman Ditko set up and you might have a point, but still Parker's actions as shown are fine, and nothing he did that he should comically regret later as groanworthy. That panel is just taking a dig at Ditko's personal political ideas which he wasn't even directly pushing on people in Spidey anyway.

whatever he supported black protesters looking to be treated better during his college years. \

My point still stand

If this is the case I yell at protesters all the time at my campus. By the way, fuck those asshole. They always stand in the hall between the parking lot and the classrooms and ask me if I have a voters registration. Bitch, I don't know, do you have a permit to be peddling your shit at this university?

He didn't support them though, he just said he was sorry for yelling at them and listened to their point. That was the end of that storyline on Peter's end. And they weren't even protesting Civil Rights shit if that's what you think, if I remember correctly they were upset that the college wasn't making more dorm rooms.

The best are the ones where it's drawn by a guy who hates protesters but written by a guy who likes them, creating scenes where spider-man angrily screams niceties.

it's just a joke about how Peter was kind of a jerk in college

No, the Rand reference and the reference to this specific incident is clearly a dig at Ditko.

light-hearted ribbing with an off-handed reference to a 50 year old story, it's not he's calling Ditko a hack

I mean shoot, Ditko literally left Spider-man and Marvel after that issue because Stan was getting too liberal for him

Why bring up Ayn Rand though? Just to mock Ditko. And you can think that objectivist stuff is a bad ideology, that's fine, I do too. But Ditko wasn't forcing it on Spider-man readers. Having Spidey go "Oh I'm so embarassed of my Ayn Rand days" reads as saying Ditko and his work was embarassing.

>why was Peter a jerk in college?
>oh he was an objectivist for a bit
>ha ha Ditko is also an objectivist
you're reading too much into it

You think it was a coincidence that they referenced Ditko's last issue's story while also namedropping his ideology? Whatever. I think it was kind of nasty but there's not much else to say about it.

Remember when Ditko was broomed off the title and suddenly Peter wasn't an insufferable asshole any more?

Remember when OP stopped sucking cock obsessively?

it obviously wasn't a coincidence, but to think it was a fuck you to Ditko's art instead of his ideology is childish

>Remember when OP stopped sucking cock obsessively?

No? OP has always been, and will always be, a fag.

Those were dumbass protesters protesting over nothing. Peter has nothing to regret. Screw Ewing for contributing to the Bendis/Slott/Zdarsky cucking of Peter Parker's character.

baka leftie. back to tumblr, you know nothing about comics and belong with them

Peter Parker hasn't been himself for around ten to fifteen years. He used to be competent and clever with good quips he'd use to throw off his opponents. Now he's a betamale effeminate loser known for making bad jokes.

>BUT MUH PARKER LUCK
>BUT READERS CAN'T RELATE TO A GROWN MARRIED MAN LIVING AN ADULT LIFE

pretty sure Ewing was actively apologizing for Superior

Basically everything I fucking hate about post-OMD Spider-Man.

The strange thing is that even though I really don't agree with Ditko's beliefs, I find scenes like that and that Spider-Gwen issue where she makes fun of Vulture for reading terrible comics (which were based on Mr. A) to be really cringy for some reason.

Ditko was just as bad as current SJWs.

This Hawk and Dove cover is every bit as cringe inducing as the worst SJW Marvel.

I kinda liked them in Justice League Unlimited and Brave and the Bold. How far removed are those depictions from the original?

I'm not seeing the problem. Explain.

Ah, back when Pete embodied the "school shooter" archetype.

Was original Dove as much of a faggot as the pose in that cover suggests?

I think Peter is regretting that he is actually considering beating the shit out of those protesters in the last panel. Dude used to have a ton of anger, back when Flash Thompson could do more than call him "Penis Parker".

user didn't really use a good image to show the problem with the original Hawk and Dove. The big problem with the original comics is that Dove is such a whiny wimp that the concept does not work because all he ever really does is whine at the problem. It's why whenever they bring the concept back it's Hawk with Dawn as Dove because both are more active and she did a better job at proving her points.

Remember when Peter was right.

>and suddenly Peter wasn't an insufferable asshole any more?
this just prove you only read the earliest issues, actually Peter is a character we feel empathy for him, most of his anger is justified because he is confronted to injustices, even when he did the right thing.
also why so many butthurt? the shit OP posted just shown a bunch of retards protesting to stop going to classes and insisting.

Yeah, I also remember that was due to Ditko, while Stan Lee was more sympathetic towards the protestors.

Oh boy, can't wait for when the entire fucking Marvel universe will have that moment about today's retarded liberal bullshit!

>Hey Patsy! Remember when you were all "Respect muh pronouns"? What the fuck was that all about.
>Oh gosh don't remind me! I was acting so stupid in my 40s! No husband and all, you know...

>for some reason.
Throwing stones in a glass house. The people who make comics about feminism have no right to make fun of objectivism.

>Gender equality is just as dumb as a philosophy promoting asshole tier selfishness.

Kill all right-wingers, also fuck you OP.

Yeah and hippies got pissed at marvel when they were done spitting on soldiers

Ditko is a talented artist, but also a fucking asshole, he deserves to be shit on sometimes.

Good luck doing it without any guns, pinko :^)

have you 12 years old?
you are no better than far-right extremists.
what the fuck are all those buttblasted fags because of that thread?

>Peter wasn't an insufferable asshole any more?
Because his character arc was complete ya dense retard. After If This Be My Destiny he became a man.

>Spider-Gwen issue where she makes fun of Vulture for reading terrible comics (which were based on Mr. A)
Bullshit. Post pics.

>Stan was sympathetic towards protesters protesting a meeting for protesting with a group they themselves protest with.
Is he a fucking retard?

This isn't meant to directly reference
but is a more generalized reflection on how young Peter was very different from who Peter became (even before OMD retconned and cannibalize his character).

People getting upset about this have not read enough ASM and don't understand Peter Parker.

Even back then the extent of Flash's bullying was occasionally tripping or shittalking Peter.

Mary Jane

That's not a retcon. In any way. That's him clearly referring to the past as true.

Pete hasn't been that character for a long time.

He did break his glasses that one time in Untold Tales. Also, in the minus issues Flash was beating the ever loving shut out of some other kid he played baseball against.

That cover isn't bad compared to the cover for the first issue of Hawk and Dove's ongoing, where Dove is hiding behind a curtain while goons are beating Hawk to the brink of death

Ditko's version of Dove was a full on pacifist who would NEVER EVER fight and who was a full 100% pussy boy who just hung around in a corner praying his brother would beat up the bad guys so he wouldn't have to get involved. It was one of the main reasons why Ditko was fired from the original incarnation: editorial wanted Dove to be less of a pussy

Most media versions of Hawk and Dove V1.0 wholesale rip off Dove 2 (the female version)'s personality for Dove 1.0 by making him super smart yet willing to beat people up to stop evil and having him be more or less a realist when it came to knowing that pacifism can only go so far before you have to say fuck it and use force.

Also, the JLU version was gimmicky as fuck in that they got Ben Savage and Jason Harvey (the stars of Wonder Years) to play Hawk and Dove, though with the twist that Harvey (who played the thuggish asshole brother) as Dove and Ben Savage (the noble goody-two shoes brother) as Hawk

Can someone post/storytime Charlton Blue Beetle #6? That had Ditko throwing massive shade on SJW types, which is especially relevant to today's rape of comics and art by SJW types, given that Ditko had them shitting all over traditional heroic images of heroes and demanding all artwork be ugly and vulgar and obscenely disfigured/deformed because the shitheads protesting were fat, ugly, possibly mutilated transgender types who were jealous they weren't handsome like Ted Kord and Vic Sage.

>Pete hasn't been that character for a long time.
And that’s the problem.

Hawk and Dove are the only superheroes I think have zero fans.

he stopped being a jerk well before OMD

actually pretty much as soon as Ditko left

Telling people to act against everybody's interest including themselves is worse than telling people to act out of self-interest.

>Telling people to act against everybody's interest including themselves
that's objectivism though

>Todays rape of comics

Oh fuck off. Are we seeing a lot of "SJW" heroes at the moment? Yes. Why? Same reason why in the 90's we got a fuck ton of gim and edgy characters motivated by revenge called fucking BLOODBANE or DEATHEDGE or whatever. Since the 80's comics have been desperately trying to be more "adult" because pic related is genuinely how some people, perhaps some subconsciously, view comic books as a medium. In the 90's that was taken as being gratuitous with sex, blood and violence. We've matured a bit since then, not much mind, but we have. Since the 90's writers have been going back to the Stan Lee well of character creation: Give them troubles. What's the easiest way of giving someone troubles without actually having to write any in? By making them some form of social minority. That's it.

SJW's aren't "raping comics" at all. They're just doing what has been going on with comics for the past 30 years. Now, I'm not saying that's a good thing, but grow the fuck up, user.

"Todays rape of comics". Jesus.

I mean, Mr. A is a fucking terrible comic, but it seems kind of mean to call him out on it. Jack Kirby did some crap in his time, but Marvel wouldn't dare insult the great "King Kirby" so why Ditko?

They actually do have fans.

Kevin Smith is a huge fan of the Ditko era H&D and constantly makes a big deal, nerd-cred wise, about when he sold off his Silver Age comic collection to fund the making of Clerks, that the only books he wished that he had kept and not sold, was the first appearance of Hawk and Dove and their original series.

Also, DC made a huge point about promoting the famous non-canon "finale" to the original Hawk and Dove as the selling point for one of their expensive Batman HC collections recently, as well as used them to shill the first Ditko best of HC, along with using the promise of collecting ALL of the original H&D series (of which only the Ditko issues had been reprinted) to get people to buy the most recent Teen Titan omnibus.

And that doesn't even TOUCH the cult popularity of the post-Crisis Hawk and Dove by the Kessels and Rob Liefeld. There is a reason WHY DC kept getting shitted on for turning Hawk evil and killing Dawn Granger off. The Kessels Hawk and Dove was absurdly successful and loved by fangirls due to the "will they or won't they" romance angle between Hawk and the second Dove.

That's my point earlier, I don't agree with Ditko's views but I feel these jabs come off a bit smug.

>I mean, Mr. A is a fucking terrible comic
Get better taste.

Back to the cold embrace of the grave with you, Ayn.

As much as I love Busiek's Untold Tales, the character writing was really off in places and there were some really unnecessary, dumb retcons. And I think we can both agree the other example is waaaaaay out of character.

The idea that Flash was a bully rather than a "bully" is the same kind of pop cultural osmosis that lead to "the symbiote makes Peter/Eddie more irritable and violent."

Mr A is a shit comic, in that it contains none of the things (character design, set-up, supporting cast) that made the Question (who Ditko has stated over the years was a dry run/beta version of Mr A) such an enduring character.

If Marvel's trash output is rape, I wonder what the CCA's complete destruction of horror and thriller comics counts as to these people. Genocide? Nuclear Armageddon? Faggotry?

Flash was always a bully; they just couldn't have him beat the shit out of Peter in the old days due to the comic code demanding all bad guys be punished so they had to resort to mean spirited pranks and Flash being verbally abusive to Peter.

Liz Allen was the character who you are thinking about who had more shades of grey, since they implied that she kind of wanted to latch her wagon to Peter in terms of husband material. But that she decided she'd rather be popular and used as a pump and dump for Chads like Flash, so that by the time they all graduated, she ended up outright telling Peter that she might have gone out with him/married him, but she chose the life of a shallow minded town slut and wasn't about to change lanes now that the dye was cast.

What was Ditkos problem anyways?

I'm a leftie, but calling Mr. A terrible is just wrong. You don't have to agree with Ditkos views to appreciate the passion and talent in his own comics.

objectivism

Dude there are plenty of times people make jokes about how goofy Kirbyisms are or take the piss on how stiff his old works were. The man himself took the piss many times. Please get the fuck over yourselves, it's not disrespectful to make a joke about people you admire.

>Flash was always a bully; they just couldn't have him beat the shit out of Peter in the old days due to the comic code demanding all bad guys be punished

This always amuses me, if only because over here in Britain where we had no such restrictions, one of our most beloved children's comic book characters, Dennis the Menace was himself a straight up bully, who used to terrorise the local gay kid Walter the Softy.

I'm pretty sure Priest did a whole arc about how goofy Kirby could be in his Black Panther

Isn't there a difference between razzing on some of the more weird or esoteric stuff in Kirby's work, and literally saying in writing that Ditkos comic was terrible?

Oh, so THAT'S why Flash was often shown being an ass in reaction to Peter being a douche, idolizing Spider-Man, clearly characterized as barely holding on to his popularity and having other, good qualities!

Seriously, you have to be as socially retarded as 18 year old Peter to think he was that flat of a character.

Him barely holding onto his popularity was his comeuppance for being a bully as per CCA though. Him idolising Spider-Man was ALWAYS supposed to be an ironic thing, because he shits on Peter all the time. It wasn't supposed to be a positive quality of his.

Not really. It's acknowledging that not everything someone you admired made is great. That doesn't make it a hitpiece.

Seriously, why are you kids so fucking sensitive?

Also, it wasn't until the 90s that writers tried to give Flash Freudian Excuses to explain away why he was a bully and general cunt to Peter, ranging from Flash's dad was a worthless drunk who did unspeakably sadistic things to Flash while liquored up, to Flash's dad being a full on sadist who physically and emotionally abused Flash because his dad was a smart guy who was deathly ashamed that his son was a dirty, lowbrow jock.

He became a full-on Randian in the late 50s and eventually left Marvel because he got tired of Stan Lee telling him to stop interjecting his politics into his work.