Hunchback of Notre Dame

>Hunchback of Notre Dame
>on-screen death, blood, attempted murder of an infant, attempted sexual assault, discussion of exterminating a race of people, song about lusting after a woman and killing her if she doesn't return sexual favors
>rated G

>Frozen
>no on-screen deaths, no blood, a guy threatens to kill a girl but no actual on-screen violence is shown
>rated PG

Explain.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lKZbtLxxPfg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dude, just let it go.

The only rating that matters is R.

The MPAA makes no lick of sense. News at 11.

>tfw Hunchback would be a perfect movie if not for the gargoyles scenes.

Ratings have evolved, did you just wake up from a 15 year nap?

I agree. I wish they just doubled down and made it an animated movie for adults (or at least a PG-13 audience) rather than going "WE NEED SOME SILLY GARGOYLES AND A GOAT FOR THE KIDDIES"

And Esmeralda living at the end.

PG doesn't matter anymore. All you gotta do is say enough light swear words that most kids know anyways and the MPAA will rate it PG.

>There is a sequel where they gave Quasimodo a girlfriend

Just watch the broadway musical version, no gargoyles and Esmeralda dies

The best moment of cartoon.

Hugo pls.

>she's blind

I think Esmeralda living at the end was fine, it was never going to be a faithful retelling of the original and I think it helps the Disney movie that she survived and didn't fall for the protagonist. The way the hero (Quasimodo) didn't get the girl at the end, but more importantly got to come out into the light and be accepted by the people, was well done.

No, the only thing I'd want changed is to make it clear that the gargoyles were figments of Quasimodo's imagination. A fantasy made up in his deep loneliness, that disappears at the end as he leaves the tower and it's no longer needed.

"I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the children, too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I HATE THEM."

>Hunchback of Notre Dame
>A strong, independent woman of color is the hero
>A straight, old, white, christian man is the villain
>Not as controversial

>Frozen
>A homogeneously white European country is shown as being a great place to live, even though there are no people of color to be seen anywhere
>More controversial

Really butters my toast.

Shitposting aside, the rating system has changed a lot over the years, and movies that would normally have been seen as G is bumped up to PG, and older PG movie are bumped up to PG-13, because it apparently attracts more viewers.

And he was a good friend.

The gargoyles would have been fine if they had been properly played up as being part of Quasi's imagination

I really don't think they ruin it. Hell, I like them a lot and think it would've been awesome if they were just in Qusimodo's head. The only thing I object to is them actually aiding in the final scenes. Otherwise I think they're pretty ok.

Don't you mean devolved?

PG makes more money, and the big studios have the pull to get whatever rating they want.

This is simple.

Before the mid 80's, PG-13 wasn't a rating. The scale went G, PG, R, and X. G meant everyone could reasonably go without having to worry too much about trauma. PG was treated more like PG-13, with movies like Indiana Jones, Poltergeist, and Gremlins being rated PG. Parents taking their 7 year olds to see these films ended up complaining when their kids subsequently had nightmares and light PTSD side effects from seeing these films. The MPAA decided that the best thing to do was make a bridge between PG and R by adding in the PG-13 rating.

Disney, not wanting to seem like they were suddenly a non-family friendly production company, decided this rating system was shit and that any movie they produced had to be rated G to fill more seats and not scare of parents, who were still getting used to the idea that PG was a kid friendly rating and PG-13 was now the beginning of an older audience appeal. So the censors at Disney, not wanting to be shut own by a technical fallacy, said fuck it and slapped a G rating on to all of the animated movies of the 90's era to ensure that all audiences would attend. Eventually, the MPAA shut that shit down and made them abide by the rules.

Kek

Watch the La Jolla stage production. It's basically exactly what the movie should have been

youtube.com/watch?v=lKZbtLxxPfg