Revealing Power Level in Uni

Did I fuck up?

> Philosophy class, getting our midterms back
> 92%
> Top 10% of class, not_bad.jpg
> "Would anyone like to read out their essay from the midterm? Preferably someone who got 9/10 or better"
> Raise hand
> "Go ahead user"
> Clear throat

Do you agree with Plato that an "aristocracy" is the best form of government? Why or why not?
> Absolutely, a moral aristocracy aligned with the interest of the governed would be superior to our current democracy.

> As it currently stands, everyone is permitted to vote, and have their say in how a country ought to be governed. This is a mistake for numerous reasons, including the unequal distribution of intelligence in nature, the ease with which the public may be manipulated, political deadlock preventing effective change from taking place, and the general tendency of voters to vote for politicians who will give them bread and circuses.

> Nature is inherently hierarchical. God, or nature, has seen fit to love some and hate others, blessing some with charm, intelligence, beauty and cunning, while others she has made slow, ugly, uncouth and gullible. In the struggle for life, the weak fear the strong, and to the victors go the spoils. The luxury of thinking humans to be exempt from such laws is foolish, foolish, foolish, and as it stands, we currently face existential and political threats from those who are willing to resort to the rule of violence in order to secure their ends (such as ISIS).

> In a democratic society the minority of intelligent, informed voters will drastically be overwhelmed by the majority of stupid, uninformed voters who do not understand international geopolitics, or the inner machinations of the financial markets, yet nonetheless will be asked for their opinion on how they should operate.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_Federation_(Starship_Troopers)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> On that note, the ease with which an uninformed electorate may be swayed should send a shiver of fear through your heart- that there exist persons who will imbibe state and corporate propaganda with a smile, happily vomiting another person's opinion into the ears of everyone who will listen. The trend is only accelerated by the technology of social media, such that any idiot may declare him or herself a genius, to rapturous applause.

> Another difficulty of democracy is that it prevents anything from being done (which some may well argue is the point), yet nonetheless, the existence of a parasitic bureaucratic class is facilitated by endless commissions, boards and studies, a self-congratulating orgy of political backroom bickering at the taxpayer's expense. And when clear sighted, decisive action must be taken, democracy is abolished, such as the freezing of British parliament during WW2. Democracy is a sham, a pleasant story we tell ourselves to keep the masses happy, and the colossal failure of democracy can only be attributed to nature's cruel justice, that the strong shall lead the weak, and the exposure of the oligarchy running the United States via the Bilderberg group, the Trilateral commission, and other think tanks only shows how much of a mockery of democracy the United States lives in.

> Another reason for the inferiority of democracy may be attributed to all animals' (including humans') tendency to be ruled by their appetite. "Feed me! Clothe me! Entertain me!" scream the masses; "Bread! Circuses! Facebook!" As it currently stands in the United States and Europe, the flood of individuals on welfare remains one of the greatest strains on our society, with young men from Syria travelling to Sweden, Norway, Germany, and Britain to attempt to claim citizenship and voting privileges so they may vote themselves more handouts. In the United States, the birthrates of the poor are artificially propped up on a mixture of section 8 housing, EBT cards and government services, an exploding political underclass which forms an immovable voting black whose only interest is to ensure their next welfare cheque continues coming. Voting ought to be restricted to those who pay more taxes into the system than they receive in pay, welfare, or tax cuts, lest our leaders find themselves in a position where they need to curry the favour of disaffected citizens whose only concern is not to work.

> The central argument against an aristocracy has always been that of corruption and nepotism. While Plato argued for a class of orgy-having-philosopher-kings, I believe we would be far better served by castrated philosopher kings. In exchange for access to the seats of power, our rulers would be forced to sever their ties to their genetic lines so they may focu all their attentions on ruling according to reason. To curb the possibility of corruption in their own lifetime, they would be forced to surrender their property and rights to earthly pleasures.

> Whatever course we take; democracy is failing.

>humbrag into blog post

I sincerely hope you die

> Whatever course we take; democracy is failing.

> Sit down
> Class is dead quiet
> Professor tries to make a joke, hurriedly moves on

How'd I do lads?

>muh bagged milk
>muh took

Last bump

Tl;dr, gave fashy speech in philosophy class. teacher is butthurt.

Of course, to my ears I see the points and they are well enough laid out, but yes you are a racist biggot and a nasty person boohoo I'm telling on you

who gives a shit. make yourself the fashy cunt. what are they gonna do about it? tell you how you hurt their feelings? say you're espousing hate speech?
big fucking deal. let them be mad. enjoy the entertainment

Nice OP best poetry.

U should do one on anarcho capitalism

I do believe everyone is intelligent, some more than others... The majority are ill informed =bad memes= not stupid. I'm very 4chan8 to have found all.(you) it's wonderful sharing this election.

>The formal argument lies that the majority of the people don't have acces to Sup Forums, making them vulnerable to ethical propaganda hosted by the greatest hoaxer, the oligarchs.

>I do believe everyone is intelligent
Relative to the ground everyone is intelligent. Relative to the "Average" intelligent human, I believe more than 50% of them are not that intuitive.

There are many aspects of intelligence.

Fairly accurate. Democracy is nice in theory, but it is completely unrealistic, inefficient, and unlikely to lead to steady progress. Why should the word of a PhD be equal to the word of a completely ignorant person? That is nonsensical and clearly destructive.

It sucks being on the bottom and having no political influence (like me), but honestly I'd much rather have decisions be made by elites than by morons who have no intelligence or knowledge.

Elites?
What? I'd rather have an Anarchy than Oligarchy/Aristocracy than not having the Master Race of all Government system - Meritocracy.

well said but ultimately a failed point, because we're never going back from democracy to aristocracy or any such system

which is inherently flawed eitherway. cut leaders who abandon all ties to wealth? nigga have you read an history book?
"abandonning all ties to wealth" has never, ever, ever been done or worked and is also the reason for communism's utter failure
also obviously uncut > cut

they were probably twittering that they were '''LITERALLY SHAKING WHILE THIS NAZI READS HIS RACIST SCREED''

>Did I fuck up?
>Philosophy class

yes

The cringe is real. One day very soon when you get into bed, flash backs to this moment and how you felt about them will haunt your sleepless mind.

Had some decent lines and arguments but you really need to work on your debate skills. The comments about welfare, EBT, Syrian refugees, etc. were all completely unnecessary and detrimental to your case. Keep the ideas abstract and allow people to fill in the blanks themselves.

I like that someone is standing up to the circlejerk of modern democracy and proposes some alternatives especialy in a liberal college

Am I trash for accepting financial aid

that is absolutely correct every thing you said is 100% truth democracy is a form of mob rule allowing any fool of the street to be able to shoes a world leader swayed by some talking point or nice smile or for the fact they are half black or a woman like they are doing in the usa right now is madness

>The comments about welfare, EBT, Syrian refugees, etc. were all completely unnecessary and detrimental to your case.
this

and directly mentioning blacks is just asking for people to throw your whole argument into the trash, it adds nothing to your argument and serves only to push people away from your idea.

>Philosophy

It should be required by law, that to vote you need to A) know a trade or B) have served in a force (police, firefighters, paramedics included ) or C) have a degree in law, medicine or Engineering

Everyone else can fuck right off

Are you at UBC?

>immovable voting blacks

Only professionals can vote... I like that idea. I think you could sell it, too, if you did it right.

>Meritocracy
>Having succession wars every time someone inherits a cup

KYS unironically

Not bad for a snow nigger

You are now aware that the oligarchs and the aristocracy are one and the same.

Oligarch or aristocrat they will view the poor and uneducated the same, as chattle.

Aristocracy of the wealth is the one I don't like. Other than that full force of meritocracy.

>Plato argued for a class of orgy-having-philosopher-kings
did you even READ the republic? plato said that the aristocracy should live communally with no property of their own so as to diminish the appeal of material wants.

/lit/ here, your essay is pompous shit

>"abandonning all ties to wealth" has never, ever, ever been done or worked

It can work. If say that leader where to be completely inhuman and thereby be above such earthly desires. Like a machine.

Great, now quanitify the desirable type of intelligence objectively.

You're making the mistake of quantifying the distribution of natural traits according to a ranking of current or past abstract societal human values.

It's like claiming you know the unknowable nature of God.

Although I like your solution for the forced sacrifice that rulers will have to take. A practical human psychological/social solution.

>I believe we would be far better served by castrated philosopher kings
So you want to live in Ancient China? Could be pretty neat in a way.

user here, I wrote the "essay" during a midterm, hence why it was sloppier than I would have liked.

I'm in class atm, but if this thread is still alive in an hour I wouldn't mind some feedback.

Does nobody know that the more intelligent people aka people with degrees vote liberal? Does nobody know that women vote overwhelmingly liberal? Only letting rich, college people vote will lead us even faster into abyss. Most people are just brainwashed. If you control the media and the state for the greater good and not for few kikes you will get what you want op.

Pretty good overall, weak ending.

I feel the same way. Whether or not OP's essay was sufficiently eloquent it's still nice to see people not suck the long dick of the mobocracy

Some more valuable than others.

>Having a degree means you're more intelligent

No having a degree means you're stupid enough to get fooled into paying for another 6 years of high school without even a job at the end of the tunnel.

Also having a degree means you went through even more brainwashing than everyone else.

Degree =/= intelligence

>A prudent student of philosophy
Reminder university used to be a power level increaser until it got hijacked by communists.

this. good writing though.

I think instead of cutting off our leaders dicks we should go full Starship Trooper and only let people have political power who proved to be worthy by some sort of Trial or service

I would like to know more.

Great job.

Voting black instead of voting block? Intentional or Freudian slip?

Tinfoil hat tier shit.

Democracy is an engine. We have neglected to properly clean that engine of pollutants and now it isn't working properly.

Democracy has been working fine in the United States on a massive scale for a hundred years. We just need to get the corprate systems greedy slimy hands out of it and return the system back to a pure state where legislators don't hear jobs not for handouts from their under the table corprate sponsors but because they have a vested interest in improving the country.

This will never happen though because with a two party political system both sides are neck deep in this shit and cannot be salvaged. Even Mr. Trump is running for president purely for monetary reasons. If he wins he can take bribes aka lobbiest money to make Washington a bastion of corprate deregulation and fuck the economy even harder. If he loses he can start his own right wing television network or fox news program and make hundreds of millions of dollars every year off of uninformed voters who hate people who look different from them.

Hillary will do the exact same except to the opposite side of the electorate

Get the money out of politics and the community could slowly start to heal

CTR are incredibly boring.

You can't even argue about democracy itself without bringing in Trump.

Hooray, the thread is still alive :)

For reference, I'm doing a double major in math and philosophy.

Appreciated. The degeneracy is sickening.
It's what the prof said in class, I didn't bother hauling out a copy of the Republic mid-way through the test. Take your pretentious bullshit elsewhere.

Kek, hence the idea to limit the power to vote to those who aren't still sucking at the government teat through student loans.

>foolish, foolish, foolish
dumb
>Democracy is a sham, a pleasant story we tell ourselves to keep the masses happy, and the colossal failure of democracy can only be attributed to nature's cruel justice, that the strong shall lead the weak, and the exposure of the oligarchy running the United States via the Bilderberg group, the Trilateral commission, and other think tanks only shows how much of a mockery of democracy the United States lives in.
Does your professor not count off for grammar?

Kek, I wrote voting block in my essay, must have been a Freudian slip while typing it up for you all.

What would you like to know? I have to write another paper soon about human nature; I'm going to see if I can write about the challenges to our conception of human nature posed by the growing body of evidence for human biodiversity. If we define humans as the most rational animal, and there exist persons or groups who are more or less average than others, how does that stress our ideas about what constitutes human nature?

(Going to argue that human nature is a poorly defined term, and that we need to expand to cross-species ethical considerations.. because by FST metrics in biology, the Bantus in Africa ought to be considered a different species than British Europeans)

Fuck off cunt, I already said that I wrote this during a midterm, it wasn't meant to be a perfect speech to the Reichstag.

A word of advice.

Don't start wars with liberal professors. Regurgitate the pablum the spew back at them, get your grades, your degrees, and move on.

>we need strong and wise philosopher kings to rule us
>but 1st lets remove them of all testosterone

An aristocracy would not have elections, so govt would arbitrarily select its new leaders. Castrating all those of good stock to lead without corruption depletes the gene pool's positive factors

That's only true for the cunts with useless lib art degrees. Engineers tend to be pretty based. Most scientists just adopt whatever the safe political stance is, so they can get back to science and stop being pestered with politics. Basically, if your degree is in something real, your politics probably aren't total shite, whereas the remainder basically have degrees in political indoctrination.

Well written, also autism speaks I guess

Why not a technocracy?

>because by FST metrics in biology, the Bantus in Africa ought to be considered a different species than British Europeans
Ballsy. That could maybe get you brought up on hate speech charges. Does your campus have a code of conduct?

Mmm, Denouncing the democracy Jew isn't really revealing your power level. There are plenty of liberals and libertarians who would agree with you on that. Just don't question the Holocaust, gay rights or feminism and you'll be fine.

Did gud

I didn't know Hilary came to Sup Forums

If you can't recognize the number of grammatical errors you made in that one sentence, you have some serious deficiencies that need to be remedied before pursuing philosophy. Please, respond with more angst. It's in your nature, Mr. Canada.

>God, or nature, has seen fit to love some and hate others, blessing some with charm, intelligence, beauty and cunning, while others (((SHE))) has made slow, ugly, uncouth and gullible.

Nice try reddit.

>Whatever course we take; democracy is failing.
t. someone who never learned what semicolons are for

I respect it

What Uni? Montreal? BC? UL? Sherbrooke?

I was referring to this

Your entire essay reeks of self-righteousness. I mean whoa, it's genuinely painful; you fucking adore yourself to the point where your narcissism manifests itself in your writing.

Also: Good points, ruined by excessively flowery language. Confucius say, "Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Hoyo ching chong!"

i liked it.
if you were at my uni, i'd look you up after class to invite you to discuss related topics at a local bar

>this got a 9/10
You're underage get out.

Blocks.

Human beings may not be perfect, but a computer program with language synthesis is hardly the answer to the world's problems.
>mfw Deus Ex has become more relevant than ever before

2 years of voluntary military service in exchange for the right to vote. Higher ranking officials must serve longer to qualify.

Only those who have been proven willing to die for the group may dictate what it does.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terran_Federation_(Starship_Troopers)

You got a 92 for this in a philosophy class? I find that hard to believe as you failed to defend your argument or your support for aristocracy but instead chose to bag on one form of government.

You failed to bring up any pros or cons of aristocracy or why it is better than other forms. Either your professor is retarded or he shares your viewpoint that democracy is bad mmk.

One in Alberta. I'd rather not say, RCMP :^)

> Pic related

Yeah, but I was only arguing with my prof in private about that.

Gotta start somewhere.

Or a vasectomy perhaps?

It's not uncommon for philosophy departments to just grade straight from a rubric rather than take points off. That kind of grading reflects that.

Best thing I've read all day.

It seems like you just ignored the prompt after the first paragraph in your eagerness to be a contrarian.

You even forgot that you were supposed to advocating aristocracy, not monarchism.

Well written though.

Weak ending. I expected a better reaction from the class/professor. You're just telling Sup Forums what we already know and believe.
but here, have what you want, a 'pat on the back', or maybe a cheer or high five?

Congratulations for having a formed mind and knowing how to speak.

You didn't even reference the Federalist Papers or the tyranny of the majority.

>browses Sup Forums
>not autistic enough to remain silent in class and never volunteer for anything
I don't buy it OP.

what's the pic from? looks cool.

The essay itself reads like undergrad tier try hard shit. B+, the + being for having the testicular fortitude to troll the prof this hard.

Rule by castrata sounds like an awful idea. Men who won't fuck, won't fight, and heads of state need to have the hearts of warriors.

Democracy is actually pretty decent so long as the franchise isn't extended to every hominid. I'd suggest tiered citizenship:
>Tier 1 (1 vote): minimum 20 years old, must have served 2 years in the armed forces with honourable discharge, or in a federal labour service (for the wimminz).
>Tier 2 (2 votes): minimum 30 years old, and satisfying at least 2 of the following: 3 children; net tax producer for minimum 5 years; 5 years in armed forces or federal labour force.
>Tier 3 (3 votes): minimum 40 years old; must have achieved professional notability and demonstrated commitment to society, as judged by 3 nominating and a jury of deciding Tier 3 voters.
>Tier 4: minimum 50 years old: as Tier 3, but can hold public office.

Such a system would preserve the best parts of democracy, while ensuring that only worthy citizens would get to vote at all (i.e., students and welfare leaches could shut the fuck up), and that will of the worthiest carries the most weight.

Too easily rigged.

The only real problem with the castrated leader idea is the limits of sanity.
I don't trust any ordinary human to cope with losing earthly pleasure and being put in charge of a country. It would probably take a year at most for them to go nuts and burn down everything.
Of those unordinary enough for the job, it's a crapshoot. You could get someone willing to let go of everything for their country, or you could get a truly inhuman psycho who only cares about having power over people.

Whatever. MTL University is gonna win the Vanier cup this year again.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Pretty typical first year paper. Not rigorous in the least but it has the general outline of an argument. For first year: 7/10. For graduate and above: 0.5/10. It's been a long time since I was in University, but in my day Philosophy was a lot more demanding than this. If your school is anything like mine you should find that the standards ratchet up very quickly in subsequent years. But who knows what school is like these days. I look at the ideologic retards polluting social media these days and I can only presume that it has gone to shit.

I like this

The point is to help me refine the arguments for normies. Most people outside of your basement think democracy is okay, and don't reflect at all on the fact that democracy is easily exploitable. So pointing out the weaknesses of the dominant political philosophy, and arguing that we choose for power to be concentrated in the hands of the few during wartime anyways, and offering a possible solution to (what seems to me) the main argument levelled against more authoritarian forms of government, which is corruption.

Most people just didn't know how to react. Some were nodding, others were looking around uneasily, and it opens the door for further conversations about why alternative modes of government would be preferable.

>The essay itself reads like undergrad tier try hard shit. B+, the + being for having the testicular fortitude to troll the prof this hard.

This.

9/10, breddy gud

How can I tighten it up? I know it's a shit-tier paper, and I got one of the best marks in the class.

Pretty much this. The only place I can even imagine this getting a 9/10 is a crap tier community college with a shitty professor teaching. Any university would easily fail it for going completely off topic.

As for philosophy I've never really been a fan but I've read some of the modern stuff in bits and pieces.

democracy is flawed of course, but all systems are flawed because our own human nature. all systems eventually will have various leaders that will exploit the system for personal gain. the principal flaw in democracy and in all the systems are humans because we're not perfect

How is contrasting the weak points of our current system against an alternative mode of government a poor argument?

It's a middle school essay to me desu

>repeating same points several times
>insanely short essay for fucking midterm requirements
>that forced and improperly used semicolon at the end
>92%

You're either lying or just go to a terrible terrible university.

It's a loan, not free money.

Heartily kekd