The American Way - Those Above and Those Below #3 Storytime

Really good book, I highly suggest reading it. Probably the best look at race via the lense of superheroes ive seen in a long, long time. Most of the time this subject matter is cringe-inducing in how its handled, but so far this book has done a good job.

Other urls found in this thread:

quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/laetrile.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>More liberal racebaiting by the (((comic book industry)))

And yet they wonder why Amerifat comics are dying

>Pretending to be non-American

Not fooling anyone

> laetrile
there's a name I haven't heard in a long time
yeah don't buy any green bananas lady

Have you read the original? This is super depressing if you have.

There is an original? No I haven't.

It's just called "The American Way" and takes place in the 1960s. This is a direct sequel, so you have already seen how awful everyone's lives have become in ten years.

allow me to speculate
the original series was New Frontier high optimism camelot Teen Titans and this is all Nixon/post-Nixon era naturalism

The story of the first issue was that the American Heroes were fighting a villain, and then "The Spirit of the USA" had a heart attack and dropped dead. The government hires a PR guy to fix the mess, and the PR guy learns that the heroes have been acting for a long time. All of the heroic fights and battles were choreographed to showcase american superiority during the Cold War.
The PR guy has an idea to replace the dead man with a black guy, but keep him hidden behind a mask until race relationships improve in the US.

The girl who is addicted to heroin and has been bombing things was an optimistic and idealistic young woman in the first series, and the book ended with her being carried to safety by her boyfriend. This series tells us that he withered from radiation poisoning right after that.

I'll be honest with you, this story wants to be more interesting than it is but is sludged by YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MAN bullshit dialogue at every turn and next to nothing happened in this issue.

The only thing worse than being depressing is being boring.

No I understand. Honestly, the original series started off great, but I felt that it squandering its setting. I wanted to see more of the 1960s, and I think it ended right before JFK was shot.
RFK was actually a character in it

Oh and for those who only dimly recognize the name:
quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/laetrile.html