Is Grant Morrison the greatest Superman AND greatest Batman writer of all-time?

Is Grant Morrison the greatest Superman AND greatest Batman writer of all-time?

O'Neil is the greatest Batman writer of all-time

bump

Grant Morrison isn't a better Superman writer than Bryne.

>John "Luthor can't be a scientist because this isn't relatable" Byrne
Morrison sure as hell is better than that.

no you dumb morrisonfag

>Moorefags SEETHING that his best Batman work is a story he regrets, and his best Superman story was overshadowed by Morrison's utter genius

Great argument user.

I know.

I think this is the argument for him being one of the best. You could make solid arguments for All-Star being the best Superman, the Bat-Epic being the definitive Batman, and JLA being the best league book ever.

> the Bat-Epic being the definitive Batman
O'Neil pretty much defined the modern interpretations of Batman, affecting the movies, BTAS, and what's come since. He's the definitive Bat writer, not Morrison. Easily.

There's a lot of good Superman interpretations out there, but something about Ennis' stands out to me the most.
The guy just gets him, and I'd honestly love to see him tackle the character on his own and not as a side character in one of his own books.

And Morrison incorporated every era into his seven year run and brought the character back closer to the O'Neil days than he's been for a long time before or since

>Best Superman writer of all time
Mark Millar

>Best Batman writer of all time
Tom King

Fuck off, Morrisonfag.

>King
That's fucking wrong though

No, Snyder.

So he aped the definitive Batman writer.

I wouldn't say he's the greatest but he has a knack for cutting through all the fluff and getting right at what makes a character.

Byrne can write the character better but his version of the Superman mythos was shit that writers had to spend the next 20 years rebuilding.

>Snyder

Nope, he honored the legacy while doing his own thing.

No, his Action Comics run has a few standout parts but otherwise isn't really special; I'd say Sholly Fisch was the real star of the show with his backups. While a great CliffsNotes version of Superman, ASS is targeted to a specific kind of reader that knows a bit about Superman but otherwise isn't particularly well-read in his comics. It's also primarily Silver Age focused.

His Batman run suffers heavily from being largely taken from prior material - O'Neil in particular, and his additions to the Batman canon are largely lackluster and derivative. Despite stating he was trying to encapsulate all of Batman's history into a single, unified crime fighting career he wound up relegating a good portion of Batman's Silver Age adventures to being hallucinations and underplaying the Golden Age. It's also pretty obvious that he had no idea what to do with either Tim Drake or Jason Todd and quickly wrote out the former while making the latter a villain then having him show up a hero later with a completely different motivation and characterization.

While his stories are rightly considered to be something of a must-read for both characters, calling him the greatest writer of either characters is hyperbole.

too be fair Morrison not wanting to use Tim gave us Nicieza's Red Robin series which was genuinely good and a nice progression for the character

Spoiler that shit, user, unless you want to summon the Damianfags.

It's kind of a shame what happened to Tim after that series.

>what happened to Tim after that series.
You mean Lobdell?

(You)

>Best Superman writer of all time

Peter Tomasi

>Best Batman writer of all time

Paul Dini

This.

These criticisms are a joke. All Star Superman is for people not well versed in the character? His Batman didn't focus enough on the Golden Age? The additions to the canon were lackluster? Try focusing on not picking nits and being fundamentally incorrect when you're talking out of your ass.

>Peter Tomasi
The current run of Superman is a solid 7/10, nothing more

How is that not a good argument? It's a good criticism of Byrne. Also the "Clark is the real Superman" thing is shit too. At best he should be a fusion, Superman being a merge of Kal-El and Clark

A treatise on the character doesn't define it, just pays homage to it. Morrison's only actual defining element of Batman is his paternal relationship with Damian.

No, Scott Lobdell is.

Starlin writes a better bat than king

A successful seven year one does. But you're right about Damien. Except for the whole death of Batman thing. And him traveling through time. And Dick taking up the cowl. And a whole world of international Batmen. Oh yeah, and canonizing his entire 70 year history.

Loeb is

You seem mad

Not really making a point, just mad

>Except for the whole death of Batman thing.
Been done, especially because he just came back almost immediately.

>And him traveling through time.
Been done

>And Dick taking up the cowl.
What is Prodigal, fuck off casual.

>And a whole world of international Batmen.
Literally in the Black Glove they directly reference the original comic this is from. Also it is a derivation of the Global Guardians and JLI in the way Morrison did it. Inc could have been influential in modern Batman canon, I agree but DC squashed it

>Oh yeah, and canonizing his entire 70 year history.
Again this is not innovation or impact, it's just a love letter. I love Morrison's Batman btw. You're clearly just a faggot who never read O'Neil nor understands much about the development of DC through the Bronze Age and wants to feel like a big boy for actually reading a long run.

Oh fuck off the Wingman reveal was awesome

>Morrison

It's spelled M-o-o-r-e

Moore doesn't have enough of a body of work with either to be considered the GOAT. He has like 3 Superman stories (if you count the Swamp Thing annual) and even fewer Batman ones.
>inb4 Supreme counts

Loeb then

Loeb is not a better Batman writer than Denny O'Neil. (Neither is Moore, mind you)

I love Grant, but the only thing he's the best writer of at the big 2 is Justice League.

He's also the best Doom Patrol and best Animal Man writer

I mean, can we really not count Supreme? All-Star Superman isn't canon to Superman either, the only difference is it uses official names/designs.

I don't think Moore has really ever cared much for Batman. He did Mortal Clay, Killing Joke, and that's really it. And one of those stories he doesn't even like.

Those are multiple defining elements of his run. They absolutely impacted the character over the span of seven years, and the Batman we had at the end of the run was entirely different from the one we had at the beginning. Obviously those things have been done before, but not in the context of exploring what the character means. You're obviously just a sad sack who doesn't know his ass from his elbow and thinks that reading basic stuff like Prodigal and Denny O'Neil qualifies for a superiority complex.

no

I didn't read any of his Batman work, but Superman 52 kinda sucked.

Obvious shout out goes to All-star.

Nope, that title belongs to Brad Meltzer.

Long Halloween is the best though