Roiland can't possibly be serious about this. What happened to the evil Morty saga...

Roiland can't possibly be serious about this. What happened to the evil Morty saga? what happened to Rick's backstory and the one true Morty?

I blame Harmon. I blame Harmon for everything. It's always Harmon who does the stupid boring slice of life episodes focused more on Jerry and Morty.
Fuck you Harmon, screw your father for ever conceiving you, you whiny walking turd.

This is Futurama all over again. I did not ask for yet another lame ending episode like R&M's season 1.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZfG6-GL0y58)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shouldn't have watched that retarded show in the first place, huh?

>actually expecting evil morty saga

this is why critics long ago believed tragedy and comedy should be kept separate. They invalidate each other when they're not balanced, and the show is more of a comedy. Cool is more about gotch-your-ass quips and some clever gore/violent animation then building something intelligently cool.

>this is why critics long ago believed tragedy and comedy should be kept separate
Pretty sure back them comedy meant any story with a happy ending and not with fart jokes.

>this is why critics long ago believed tragedy and comedy should be kept separate

What? No. Comedy and Tragedy are essentially the same story just with the characters dealing with it differently.

My drama teacher explained it like this: Drama is when the hero stumbles over a rock and falls. Comedy is when he gets back up, Tragedy is when he keeps lying on the ground.

It was never meant to be a drama, fans simply wanted it to be and have nagged Justin and Dan over for years so they're only doing it so every teenager across America won't kill themselves over an preconceived assumption they made.

Evil Morty is going to go somewhere, not because they want it to but because you won't stop bitching about it.

Personally I see it as another 4th wall poke by the creators taking the piss out of fans, critics, and curators who were making all this speculation and analysis of what is ultimately a show founded on absurdism. The show explicitly tells you, 'God isn't real and nothing matters', and then shows you increasingly bizzare and laughable scenarios. The whole point is cunts are taking it too seriously when it's a goddamn cartoon

Ah yes it's the next Spongebob
>Quality doesn't matter, it's just a cartoon! It's supposed to be bad!

>quality is somehow directly related to how "deep" it's lore is

Overanalysis is the retreat of those who lack the courage to not be ashamed of liking simple or childish things

A story doesn't need to be deep to be good. It just needs to follow some basic rules to not be shit. Like Chekhov's gun for example

first episode of the season made a huge point of the fact that they're not doing a big dramatic backstory for Rick and the episode with evil Morty started with a scene explicitly stating that anything to do with the council of Ricks has nothing to do with C137 Rick and Morty

Too many cooks. Season felt like the middle two episodes of five different writer's seasons. Nothing got followed through to its end because they wanted to spend time making sure everyone's voices got heard, and they didn't cap it off with anything special. Citadel ep should have been the finale. Also they must hate their lives or something if they feel the need to tell the audience to go Rick themselves.

But R&M prides itself on this at this point. It's developed a cannabalizing cult following. It's a game of cat and mouse, poking each other. I noticed it even in last week's episode, where they skipped all the exposition of that guy fucking the imaginary beings and just went straight to them getting captured. Took the wind out of my sails. Critical rule in story telling for visual media is show, don't tell and they just really shove it up your ass. That's what I find disappointing, sort of going through the motions.

it's purposeful subversion. I'm not making a qualitative call to say whether or not it's good (tropes exist for a reason), but the absurdism and deflated expectation is the point

In other words
>bad writing is good if it's supposed to be bad

that's meta humor for you. Breaking the 4th wall was a mistake.

And yes, this is the writing equivalent of "I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED!"

Right, except for the part where they keep writing in interesting high-concept plot setups and they know they beg a follow up but they don't want to do it so they attack the audience for expecting a story to follow up on itself. It's awesome if you want to write something subversive and free from expectations, but it's a bit indulgent to put a scene insulting the audience for it at in place of a conclusive finale.

Rick and Morty is not consistent enough to to claim to be simple.

How does a whore string along a beta and get his money, user?

She teases his cock and then gets mad at him for trying to ruin their friendship

It's basic psychology, the viewers are being played

more often than not, smart is just something mundane but clever, something that just makes the mind click "damn I should of thought of that." The average person's ego doesn't resort to feeling dumb, and will filter convoluted nonsense into being smart just because of a plot twist or something. It takes not really a smart person, but an experienced/travelled person to appreciate the charm of subtley.

Does no one remember Evil Morty was introduced in S1 and not seen again until S3? Birdperson only shows up ~2 episodes/season. Having the President come back and send Rick on a bunch of bullshit bug-hunts was a specific thing they talked about wanting to bring back in the S2 commentary. Why would they blow their load by throwing 2 major plot-centric characters in for the last episode of the season when their previous advancement was also in this season?

This is just how they work, lads. As they say in the intro:
>Rick and Morty just blew off America

It is very self evident that they pushed all the plot crap to the front end of S4, tied up the main loose end from S3 (Beth and Jerry’s divorce), and are planning on whatever comes from S4 to be less shit.

People were memeing for Evil Morty for like 1.5 seasons, they can wait a “little” longer for the conclusion.

But the thing is you can actually pull it off if it's done well. Bojack Horseman for example loves to do fake exposition or introducing plot points to discard them. It's always funny because there the writers actually know what they are doing and know with what expectations they play and subvert.
In R&M there was no subversion. What was the audience supposed to expect? It just comes off as sloppy writing.

> evil Morty saga
are people really that retarded?

So did they consider the the ending of close Rick counters to actually be a gag or what? I could see them thinking of it as a parody of a "wham" ending but they were way too subtle about making it clear that it was supposed to be a joke

Oh wow so cool. Thanks nihilism, I always like when something begs for its own nonexistence instead of being something worthwhile. Especially when it insults the audience for noticing it's a shitshow.

People are so retarded that they don't understand the show doesn't have real continuity.
I don't see people complaining about Rick looking directly into the camera and saying "we're doing this instead of interdimensional cable" but they still argue about shit like "is beth really a clone" or "what about evil morty".

It is pretty clear that she was a clone from her reaction.

Holy fuck, calm down lorefags, not everything is about the overarching universe.

The episode was funny and best of all Jerry was right and Rick got fucked.

of course not. But the season introduced some interesting plot points that they never concluded. This would've been a fine intermediary episode, but it's a horrible finale.

Maybe the joke is "Haha look at how stupid the audience is for wanting conclusions of all the cool plotlines we set up" but it's a pretty shitty joke nobody except the writers would laugh over.

Which is why plenty of people realize that Rick and Morty is a schizophrenic mess that tells people that people who don't think it's smart are stupid. There's nothing smart about it, it's just a science fiction cartoon that's able to fuck around because it doesn't doesn't care not to.

Good because Evil Morty isnt even that interesting, Ricklantis Mixup was the worst episode for me since it was only made to make the le ebil morty faggots shut up

Evil Morty was there. He took original Morty's place when the president fight happened and he's also the one that gave the president the fucked up weak ass portal tech. His goal was to make Rick lose and go to the bottom of the totem pole in the family. There's a third grave in the backyard towards the end of this episode, and I'm pretty sure that's OG morty.

>Third grave
Post it

R&M's fanbase is one of the more annoying ones to have come along in years.

>what's there to expect?
Right, which is why only the first season was the only time subversion was funny, when Rick goes into a manic episode repeating that the show is great and will go on a hundred episodes, like a crazed guy pitching his crazy idea. At this point we know very clearly that the show is plotless, it's not subversive to bug out at the end anymore. The most subversive thing they could do now is follow through completely with a plot. Imagine how fresh that would be for this show.

You're taking me more seriously than you need to aswell. The show tells me as an audience member to fuck myself for wanting anything out of a show? I tel them to fuck themselves for being writers obsessed with audiences. I'm sorry if the show is too precious to be called schizophrenic, that must be hard for them.

The show is going to continue? Why do they need to wrap the season in a bow?

>It is very self evident that they pushed all the plot crap to the front end of S4

what plot crap? The show's never gonna be plot centric because "nothing matters". It's been a part of the charm of the show since day one

Sure, but if it's just random events strung together and not actually a coherent story, why are you supposed to care?

it's funny

The quality of the comedy suffers too though.
Can't even think of a particular joke in the last EP that stood out as especially funny

>The quality of the comedy suffers too though.
not really

>Can't even think of a particular joke in the last EP that stood out as especially funny
OK

Sounds like a personal problem, that episode to me was the funniest finale so far.

This.

The thing I really liked about this episode is Rick losing, fuck the character of Rick and everyone who worhships him, the family makes it clear they don't need him anymore and that feels strongly satisfying.
Rick's "NUTHING MATTERS" speech is ignored, the family recongizes what they have is important personally for them and they don't care how many times it could be happening in other realities, because fuck off Rick.

>he wants to cum right away

Instant gratification faggots suck

I really hate how simultaneously over-analytical and dumb the writing has gotten. IT'S CALLED SHOW DON'T TELL YOU DAMN HACKS. You're not clever for spelling everything out. It's not deconstruction, just lazy.

Also the show is increasingly relying on silly action scenes to fill out an episode. Instead of having the action and story/characters be properly intertwined, they've become almost totally separate. The action could last five seconds or five minutes, it makes zero difference.

HERMIT CRABS

The entire season has been pretty great. Every episode has been about the individual members of the family recognizing and rejecting Rick's toxicity.

It's just a bummer that it's pretty much impossible to discuss here, since the vast bulk of posts are either whining about the show's structure -- which hasn't changed in three seasons -- or people unironically struggling with basic questions about human emotions (e.g. "why does Rick have feelings?")

Anyone who honestly expected Evil Morty again so soon is an idiot.

It took two seasons just for him to come up again, that's all we're getting until season 5 at the earliest. It's called the long game. Learn it.

more like the anemic game

There's nothing charming about teasing us with plot lines only to forget about them so they can do more "Le XD pickle rick wubba lubba dab dab" episodes that contribute nothing and actively hurt the credibility of the show

It's exactly how they handled Bird Person. They're clearly not trying to write arcs, just stories with the characters they've created.

Also, shut up.

It's called the spoon feeding game, constantly dripping little bits of plot into the retarded viewers mouth so he won't complain

sure there is

What plot? What is the connective thread between the two episodes beyond the same character being used?

I get it, really. They introduced something you like and you want to see more of it, but you can't just throw out vague structural criticism because you're sad that you're husbando is gone.

what?

It boggles my mind that people take Rick and Morty's plot seriously, even after the writers have shit all over it again and again and again. I bet all the dumb drama this season was a response to fans begging for a more serious plot.

This wasnt even C-137 Rick, since it followed on from last week's episode which was set in the mr poopybutthole universe

Right, that.

And yes sir...

In a story, the plot is the series of causal events that lead from the beginning to the resolution. There is absolutely no causal connection between the first Evil Morty episode and the second. There are no consequences of the first episode that we see in the second. They are related to each other only in that they use the same character with the same motivations.

There is no Evil Morty plot between episodes. There are two episodes where Evil Morty works to hurt Ricks.

This show has a terrible pacing. Every plot advancement is always so fucking rushed so that they can go back to having wacky adventures.
Things take literal seasons to pay off, and when they do it's always fast, rushed and almost off-screen.

i suspect there was a serious falling out between rick and mr. poopybutthole after he started dating morty. I think we're watching evil-morty's origin story as the main-story. some of the eps are the past, and some are the present. the time doesn't get fucked with but the narrative itself isn't chronological.

just a guess. i could be giving them too much benefit, but i'll be optimistic until they give me more reason to doubt.

The plot keeps the show grounded so it doesn't become LOL RANDUMB. It also keep the adventures from getting stale in a character driven show.

>he didn't like the best episode in the whole season

Episode 10 was pure fun, anyone who didn't love it should just qut rick and morty

I know, right? It was amazing.

The Evil Morty saga is a scapegoat for sci-fi references just like everything else in the show. If you think anything is going to happen in the plot concerning Evil Morty, wake up, you sheep. Nothing's gonna happen until Roiland and Harmon are told their shit is fucking canned.

The goal of the Rick & Morty show is to get you to stop watching.
Rick's ultimate goal is to get you to stop watching.
Is it possible for the human population to tune out something in it's entirety in the year 2017?

>being this mad about cartoons
chill out duder

That's because Evil Morty didn't even meet Rick in that episode. He literally got revealed in the last minute. It was a setup for a plot they then didn't proceed to go through

>Season 10
>Rick is just berating the audience for a whole 22 minutes

So what happened to that plotline with Birdperson and that bitch who was the bug aliens? Did they forgot about that?

I'm happy that the season is over and it's going to take three years for the next
I don't want more episodes for a while after this season, when they make the new one I won't be so mad anymore, hopefully next time it isn't shit

>The show explicitly tells you, 'God isn't real and nothing matters'
For fuck's sake, what is with you idiots? The whole point of that aspect of the show is that it isn't fucking true. Rick prays when shit gets bad, some alien species has a literal hell, the devil is real, etc. etc.

No, they'll get back to it when they feel like it.

>There is no plot.
>That's because there is no plot.

Astute observation.

There is no plot because they dropped the plot. It was a set up episode with no follow up. Are you retarded?

Are you? You appear to be angrily repeating the thesis of my post.

this

the show isn't about plot advancement. It's an episodic jokes machine that plays up to epic world building every so often for laffs

I think it's fine having silly action scenes in an over-the-top sci-fi show. The scenes in this episode were good, I particularly liked the psycho girls. They can be really bad like in Pickle Rick, but this time they were good.

>The plot keeps the show grounded
It doesn't need to be grounded

Those psycho girls were the best part, simple for how out of nowhere they were.

What was wrong with Pickle Rick?

Red herrings.
Nothing retarded about making fun of faux-intellectuals, that said, I agree that the show has nothing special going for it.

Not that user, but keeping it grounded helps a lot in my opinion.

How and why?

I mean, simply put, a lot of comedy comes from drama. Having at least a light undercurrent of genuine character arcs keeps things in perspective. If it really were just a series of random events, as that user said... It would still be funny, but the punch behind a lot of those jokes would be lessened IMO. Only through the balance of the two do you get a show as good as Rick and Morty.

Hope this helps user. You may already be familiar with it, but if not I'd recommend checking out a video like this (youtu.be/ZfG6-GL0y58) on Dan Harmon's story circle.

"Rick vs America" was a pretty cool premise, I wish they focused on that.

You can't expect people to care about your shitty drama when you repeatedly tell them that nothing matters and your MC is literally untouchable.

Good episode imo. I'd rather not let the show end a cliff hanger.

I thought there'd be more circumstance leading up to Jerry and Beth getting back together, but it was still pretty good.

Okay but that doesn't mean drama is necessary for comedy to be good, or that drama can only be achieved through serialized plot. I mean look at Aqua Teen or pretty much any AS show for example

Boo-hoo

Season 2 was worse than Season 1 but it definitely ended on a stronger note. This episode is just evidence that the show is far too self-aware for its own good. I think it hit me around the time Rick went on a four-minute rant about how powerful/godlike he is. 1/4 of the episode had actual stuff happening and the other 3/4 was discussing the implications of it and deconstructing everything.

Anyone else feel like they're going way far with the "God Rick" shit?
It sure didn't feel like Rick was in control during Season 1, he was always running away on the verge of getting caught and what-not.

That's because the citadel and the council actually posed a threat until Rick decided to end them both in an afternoon.

>resolutely refusing to provide the viewer what they really, really want

That's the opposite of spoonfeeding, dipshit.

Stop with this digital black face please.

>You can't expect people to care about your shitty drama when you repeatedly tell them that nothing matters and your MC is literally untouchable.

He is not untouchable, it is just that Earth is pretty low tier, he got into real trouble with other species and planets a few times already,