Was he in the right?

Was he in the right?

About what, exactly? He showed a clear inability/disinterest in learning anything not directly related to work and had no empathy whatsoever that lead directly to how mishandling of his wife's mental instability and his daughter's emotional state.

so Sup Forums?

I'm sure if we got a glimpse into his past, we'd see an excuse for why he's such a dick. A big theme of this season was the idea of the cycle of abuse, Bojack's mom got shit on by her dad, so she shit on Bojack. Bojack is trying to escape this cycle by doing right by Hollyhock.

>Bojack's mom got shit on by her dad
This isn't true at all. Joseph was a decent father. He even gave a god-like job to her daughter shit husband. Beatrice was an abusive piece of shit since day one.

Remember that time Mathew Broderick killed someone?

one of the best cartoon villains i've seen

except that regardless of how much this person is probably the worst person on the show he's not an obese jobless bassament dweller.

Yes. His wife was going to get their daughter killed.

>villains
>Implying he did anything wrong
⢀⣀⣀⣀
⠰⡿⠿⠛⠛⠻⠿⣷
⣀⣄⡀⢀⣀⣀⣤⣄⣀⡀
⢸⣿⣿⣷⠛⠛⣿⣿⣿⡛⠿⠷
⠘⠿⠿⠋⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠈⠉⠁

⣿⣷⣄⢶⣶⣷⣶⣶⣤⣀
⣿⣿⣿⠈⠙⠻⠗
⣰⣿⣿⣿⢀⣀⣠⣤⣴⣶⡄
⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿⣥⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠿⠛⠃
⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄
⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡁
⠈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠁
⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟
⠉⠉⠉

>Joseph was a decent father

>didn't spend time with his wife and daughter to grieve the loss of his son
>got his wife a lobotomy and was excited to introduce his daughter to his now retarded wife
>burned all of his daughter's belongings in front of her and instead of comforting her he tells her to stop crying or she'll be next for a lobotomy

I really want this meme to be dead because there might be some people who are pressured to agree with it.

>got his wife a lobotomy
He was trying to help. Blame the doctors that shilled the shit out of the lobotomy

>burned all of his daughter's belongings in front
Bea was asleep

>instead of comforting her
But he did that. He explained why it was necessary.

>she'll be next for a lobotomy
He wasn't talking about lobotomy

What does that have to do with anything?

Burning her stuff kinda had to be done, she had scarlet fever or something so they had to get rid of anything that could be contaminated. Joseph didn't know how to parent so he did what he thought was best.
Lobotomies where popular at the time and they genuinely thought it is help. Now we can look back and realize how horrific a Lobotomy is.
Joseph was a product of wealth and of the time. If anyone is to blame its the Jews.

He is a classical example of the old adage "you are right but you're still an asshole".
Like points out, he did what he thought was best, it just turned out that the best thing to do was pretty asshole-ish.

He was absolutely wrong. He didn't get his wife a lobotomy because he was well-read about it or it was his only option. He got her a lobotomy because it was the easiest solution he could buy. He basically threw money at his wife's instability then got mad when he ended up with a retarded husk.

>it was the easiest solution
It was the only solution. Mental hospitals were worse

No, he was neither right or wrong, he was just a product of his time and social class. It's kind of pathetic seeing all these oblivious dumbasses thinking he was some sort of evil sociopath.

That's the average Sup Forumslack. People who want actual change become politically active instead of bitching about irrelevant shit online. I'll bet you the first and last time anyone on that board even voted in any sort of election was for the Trump memes. And I'm saying this as a centrist.

She wasn't mad, just a mess psychologically. Modern therapy would clear that right up. But believe it or not, lobotomies were actually in vogue those days, the retard who invented them got a Nobel Prize.

He was a big horse

what is this? help me out here

4 me and (You)

>he tells her to stop crying or she'll be next for a lobotomy
That was clearly a very poor choice of words on his part. He was just warning her not to end up like her mother, not realizing how she'd interpret it.

Well for one thing, why didn't he take notice of Beatrice's sickness earlier and just shrug it off?

Modern therapy in he forties? Mental care wasn't really a thing, most everything was still at the pseudoscience stage

>the retard who invented them got a Nobel Prize.
This comes up in every thread, but the lobotomy is a legitimate medical procedure that's still (rarely) performed today. It does help symptoms of certain mental illnesses without turning them into a retarded vegetable when performed correctly. It just fell victim to the "it works, so prescribe it to everyone" mentality that a lot of medicines do. It was the quick and easy icepick method, which is so imprecise that it almost never works, that was the problem in the 40s.

Don't blame the guy who created them just because improper use gave them a bad name.

I heard the guy behind it was desperate to have some kind of legacy which led him to discover it.

thats a pretty damning thing to say if this was /pol first time being politically active and they got the person they wanted into the white house. Then they can make politcal change whenever they want.

I think that's just people trying to demonize him. He was a very, very accomplished neurologist decades before that, having invented the cerebral angiography.

Just because he thought he was doing the right thing doesnt make him in the right

So he listened to experts' advice and presented a fait acompli to his daughter because he didn't want to argue about something that needed to be done.

Not a monster.

I didn't say they got Trump elected, I said that them voting for him was the only political thing they ever did, and even that was for memes. But I bet those faggots think that their couple of hundred of votes totally sealed the deal.

oy vey

>they got the person they wanted into the white house.

Keep thinking that

wew lad

He's an asshole but not a monster like Bojack's mom would later become. Yes he gave his wife a lobotomy but this was an ignorant crime when people genuinely didn't understand how to deal with unhinged people and was recommended to him by doctors. Right after he did the surgery you see that he immediately regrets doing so.

Then you have him wanting his daughter to be nothing but a stay at home wife who'd he could wed off to get connections. Again total dick move but the fact that he gave Butterscotch, some unexperienced nobody a job at his corporation to make sure his daughter continued to live a life of luxury even when at that point their relationship has become heavily strained.

He was a close-minded prick but he genuinely loved his daughter and tried to care and love for her in his own misguided way. He's no saint but that's still better the Beatrice.

Exactly this. He did bad things with good intentions, while Beatrice did bad things just to make Bojack as miserable as she was.