Why was it so good? How much King's upcoming Rorsach book's gonna rip it off?

Why was it so good? How much King's upcoming Rorsach book's gonna rip it off?

read the question shaman in metropolis, is quite different but is good too (not as O`neil but is a good read)

my. nigger.
I fucking love that one.
crazy urban shaman Question is best Question

Is this that series where he trains with Shiva? He dosen't act like Rorsach at all in those comics.

I think it's because it took a couple of seemingly disparate elements (noir crime fiction and zen mysticism) and merged not only the surface aspects of them but also the deeper themes and elements that run through them. So it wasn't just a cool guy in a trenchcoat throwing karate kicks, it was the story of a man fighting impossible odds and losing battles while also struggling to find his own inner peace via constant questioning of the world and his own perceptions.
And through it all, it has one of the strongest character-driven cores in all of comics. You can see how Vic, Myra, Izzy et al grow and evolve through the series, but their own hangups, insecurities and traumas are still there. They're not just obstacles to be overcome at certain points, but genuine character defects that they can, at best, push away for a while, but still eventually come back during extreme situations. It all adds up to a cast that feels extremely three-dimensional and human, and that makes their encounters with characters and situations that are more magical realist in nature that much memorable.
This extends to the setting itself, where Hub City is dark and cruel and foreboding but not in a glamorized, glitzy way. For anyone who's ever seen pictures of cities in the rust belt, Hub's problems are as identifiable as the characters' own personality issues. It's a very down to Earth, undramatized kind of urban decay and horror, and that makes it all the more dramatic.
It's just a really good fucking comic, man.

Dunno if "getting your shit kicked in three times" counts as training, but yeah, that one.

This is the book that I fell in love with Shiva. She nearly kills him a couple times but when she shows up you have an "OH SHIT" moment, and then it's a great twist when she decides to help

Oh yeah. It bothers me a LOT that the seven/eight issues of this is literally the best she's ever been and there's fucking nothing that comes even close. And it goes back to the surface/depth thing. Lady Shiva in Question is not there just to beat the shit out of Vic and be a cool walking action scene; she's there to contrast with Vic's own mindset in particular and with the setting in general. At the start of the series, Vic is a lot closer to Ditko's Question. He sees things in black and white and inhabits a similarly black and white noir crime world. And then Shiva shows up, effectively kills him, and later revives him. And he can't fucking figure that out. Shiva not only destroys Vic's body but also shatters his worldview, challenging him to think deeper about the world and through it, about himself. To Vic, she's a living koan, a question with no definitive answer but that can still reveal a lot about himself through the quest for that answer. And she manages to do all that without sacrificing her own characterization either. Things like the harm/heal convo or that fantastic scene with Hal Busby in issue 31 build upon her, not with needless backstory or awkward humanization but by showing you how she sees the world and what motivates her.
There's a reason why even after over forty goddamn years of mediocre to terrible appearances, Lady Shiva is still one of my favorite characters in comics. And it's this fucking run.

>tfw I still haven't read this or Starman.

that's a damned good analysis user. I haven't read all of The Question yet. But it's on my list

Because it led up to Mr. A.

You just need to start, user.

>King
>Rorschach

I'm still reading Golden Age stuff.

why?

>questioning dedication to lore in a new DC reader
isn't there a BvS thread you need to defend Snyder in

I've had this whole series sitting on my shelf and I still haven't dove deeper than the 2nd volume.

King isn't writing a book about Rorscach

most golden age stuff isn't cannon anymore, you can't use that arguement

Agreed that it's not as good as the O'Neil/Cowan run, but still pretty fantastic. Also, the art in that one is amazing.

Because some of it is really good?
Whiz Comics is a lot of fun, same with Police Comics.

How can you understand the modern Starman if you don't know his history?

What's a crazy urban shaman?

Yet

Rick Veitch and Tommy Lee Edward's Question miniseries has him "talk" to the cities he visits, listening to their unique voices and beats through the tiny elements that most don't focus on, and uses that to guide him through a criminal conspiracy. It's a decent, bit Vertigo-esque idea and Edwards draws it beautifully. Worth a look.

Exactly what it sounds like.

>Rick Veitch and Tommy Lee Edward's Question miniseries has him "talk" to the cities he visits, listening to their unique voices and beats through the tiny elements that most don't focus on
Like Jack Hawksmoor?

He takes psychedelics iirc, and he can communicate with "the spirit" of the city he's in. Just like a druid or shaman can talk to the spirits of nature.

Pretty much, but with Edwards on art. I'm actually not sure which one came first.

It seemed to be pitched as a wildstorm book about that urban shaman guy from Authority.

It really helps to read all the old Starman stuff first.

It is. It sounds pretty much to Jack Hawksmoor except from the aliens thing experimenting on him. I want a fucking mini written by Veitch and Edwards.

Didn't Veitch go crazy after 9/11 and wrote that truther comic?

Why the fuck hasn't DC released all of this digitally yet? I think they have the first ten issues or so done.

Because Denny O'Neil "gets" comics.

Noise

I'm still looking for the clean digital rips, myself.

>mfw found the entire main series minus the annuals at my local bookstore
Even though I haven't read many big runs, this will always remain my favorite run of all time. The characters were really well developed, and you couldn't help but feel for the characters as they struggled to save their city, and especially Vic as he struggled to come to terms with who he really was. The last page of issue 36, in my eyes, is one of the most powerful pages in comics.

I've been avoiding this because I know it won't live up to O'Neil's run, but I might have to check it out if it's good

I looked on lib.gen, and there are 8 issues that are clean/digitally ripped, but that's it

I'm not saying he does, only that King will fucking steal everything from the run

I really does remind me of Miller's Daredevil. In a good way.

In a way, I envy you. So much joy still left to consume for the very first time!

He's doing it, according to Rich Da Leech

Does it have anything to do with the classic run or is it a complete reboot?

O'Neil was also the editor on Miller's Daredevil.

It's neither. It's a six issue mini that came out before 52, and I'm not sure if it's was in continuity or not.

King is writing a Rorshach book?

Is Question's last name being a sort of flipflop of Zsasz intentional or coincidental?

100% coincidental, far as I know.

that's the Rumor.

Why?

Great comic but it's literally just Miler's Daredevil with zen shit replacing samurai shit.

Because comic fans are a superstitious and cowardly lot...

I, for one, impatiently await the day Batman punches me in the face.

Anything you really need to know about Ted Knight (or the other Starmen) is covered in Jack's run.

I actually have a golden age Starman archive in my reading pile but I imagine anything that Robinson used was embellished to hell and back.

>isnt canon
you poor fool

is that His shoulder i see?

Question deserves more love.