About one million of Marvel characters are as smart as Lex Luthor

>About one million of Marvel characters are as smart as Lex Luthor
>No one actually cures a disease
>No one actually comes up with a better government system
>No one actually comes up with a better educational system
>No one actually comes up with a better economic system
>No one actually comes up with a better health system
>The life of your average Marvel citizen isn't better than ours.
How is that? They don't want to actually make the world a better place?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_Subpluvial
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_rainforest#Sahara_Desert_dust_windblown_to_the_Amazon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Smart characters, dumb writers.

Well to make a story about that the author would have to come up with those better systems. Since they can't, due to being dumbasses more often than not they just go THIS IS PROFESSOR SUPERSMARTS THE SMARTEST MAN IN ALL THE EVERYTHING :))))))))) HE IS WAY SMARTER THAN ALL THOSE DUMB POOPY POLITICIANS AND PEOPLE I DON'T AGREE WITH.

Fuck Marvel, fuck capeshit.

When was the last time you saw anyone with pneumonia in a Marvel book?

>the marvel universe must be as close as possible to the current state of affairs or new readers will be turned off

See, this is why I don't read much of the big 2. Status Quo is God ruins so much good worldbuilding.

Why would Reed feel any need to help the people who constantly ostracize his best friend? And he's got better things to do.

Cancer will never be cured.

There is no better educational system unkess mind download memories come.

There is no better economical system.

DC is lucky because not many are super science guys.

If they tried to unfuck things then another character equally as smart would re-fuck them up out of spite, ensuring that the intelligent characters keep each other in check by keeping the status quo intact

>Cancer will never be cured.
Luthor can cure cancer.

>There is no better educational system unkess mind download memories come.
Luthor can create one (and did it in Red Son)

>There is no better economical system.
Luthor can create one (and did it in Red Son)

Red sun shit isn't canon. Cancer will never be cured in the real world.

Capitalism is perfect.

Why don't superheroes ever fight the rothschilds?

>Capitalism is perfect.
Wew lad.

Because superheroes are conservative. Their job is to preserve the status quo.

>Red sun shit isn't canon.
No comic book world is canon, user.

>Cancer will never be cured in the real world.
We are not talking about the real world, user. Wakanda cured cancer, why Reed or any other Marvel super-genius can't do the same?

Despite the stigma around the discussion, hasn't it been stated Wakanda has "cured" cancer?

A lot of those things have been done, they've just been declined or degrade with time. The worlds of Marvel generally don't want to be a better place.

>A lot of those things have been done
What has been done? When did Reed Richards, or Bruce Banner, or Hank Pym do any of those things?

The very first issue of Mark Waid's FF run revealed that the FF is financed by Reed being an amoral shit who takes kickbacks from big pharma and other big name tech companies, to do jack shit so they can keep exclusive control over the pharmacutical/tech market and stifle innovation so that they can stay in business with their inferior products/force people to spend thousands on AIDS/Cancer medication rather than curing them.

Tony builds weapons mainly and every time he tries to do something for the good of mankind, his enemies fuck it up for him. And that's not counting what happened in Superior Iron Man, where he marketed Extremis to the ultra wealthy like a drug to steal all of their wealth, and forced the poor and middle class to grovel like worms for a temporary dose of the stuff.

Doom may or may not have cures for cancer and shit but he's such a liar that it's impossible to know if he did or not.

Black Panther is a shit of the highest order who has the cures for AIDS/Cancer but won't give it to anyone because he's a full-tilt Nazi type who thinks Wakanda is the master race.

Hank Pym created Pym particles, which are too dangerous to be sold to the public and his method of creating artificial intelligence (creating duplicates of one's mind and imprinting it into a robot body) gave us mass murderers Ultron and War Toy and Vision's robot wife from his book, who killed a bunch of people.

What the fuck is a physicist specializing in gamma radiation supposed to do? Though Banner does hypothetically posses the cures to HIV/AIDS.

So, 616 F4 do the same? They let people die of cancer so they can go on adventures?

>Adventure
I think saving the world and the universe ranks a bit higher than an "adventure".

Every hero saves the world.

The majority of them don't willingly let people die of cancer to finance themselves.

Didn't Doc Ock try to cure Aids but Spider-man beat him up for it?

>Every hero
Then maybe they should go ask them instead to solve all their problems.

Humanity can't be given a better way of life, or a better government. It has to be sacrificed for and earned, one tiny step at a time.
Eventually the cycle of the rise of nations only to fall into decline due to corruption and greed.
Eventually, Earth will choose Doom.

Cancer cure = infinite longevity

Cancer is a solvable problem in the real world, there are hundreds of proposed solutions. The issue is we don't have the technology to actually implement it.

Friend, you are the one saying that Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny willingly let people die of cancer, aids and starvation just to gain money.

If they do, they are shit people.

If every Marvel super-genius do that, they are just as terrible.

I'm saying it's not their responsibility. And I'm not saying that they're good or bad. They have their own priorities.

Waid's FF is 616 FF

>They have their own priorities.
What is above "making the world a better place"?

Reed has time to do wacky science shit, but can't cure aids?

Wakanda's concern is that the west will turn their cancer cure into a weapon. Which is precisely what Norman Osborn did with HIS cure, though whether or not it would be weaponized against anyone against Deadpool is anyone's guess.

For what it's worth, Waid made a point to say that Sue and the rest of the family don't know about the deals Reed made. The reveal happened between Reed and a still infantile minded Val in terms of him telling her all about the corrupt deal he made, at the end of the first issue he wrote of FF.

Your idea of who should do what based on the most popular names is somewhat limited thinking, though I shouldn't be surprised as it explains why you're not aware of certain things.

Chief sources of these endeavors aren't by those acclaimed to be intelligent yet often ineffectual but often the truly exceptional though feared and hated.

For example during the Cable and Deadpool run, Nathan Summers, who as a powerful telepathic-telekinetic mutant has a degree of intelligence beyond human comprehension and can manipulate matter with a mere thought, began engineering a perfect world on an island. The authorities did not take kindly to it and sent Cap and Deadpool to look into and later sabotage it, eventually the Silver Surfer showed up for some reason I can't quite recall and started beating Cable's ass up and down until he turned into a baby I think. It's all a little fuzzy but in the end status quo thanks him for keeping its seat warm and takes its rightful place.

There was also that time Prodigy ran a simulation where he used the collective mental capacity of himself and several other geniuses to re-engineer society to near perfection, but in order to facilitate the changes necessary he'd have to make sure certain individuals were no longer around and since it cost him his moral integrity he decided not to go through with it.

Someone offers to herald a dystopian ideal tomorrow almost every other day in Marvel, the majority usually just says Thanks but, no thanks and beats them down.

Okay.

So Reed can't cure cancer because somehow this would actually be bad. The educational system has to be shit because a good educational system would actually be bad somehow.

A hell of an answer.

>Silver Surfer showed up for some reason I can't quite recall
Cable's Utopia was causing the collapse and a shit ton of international tension becuase he constantly interfered with humanitarian efforts and would allow anyone to immigrate so countries were afraid that everyone woulf essentially fuck off to his Paradise. Silver Surfer stepped in to prevent the conflict from possibly going nuclear iirc.

>What is above "making the world a better place"?
His family and ensuring that there's still a world to better.

Man, it all sounds so terrible.

The Fantastic Four are actually assholes that are more interested in money than saving people.

Wakanda is terrible.

Apparently, all of the "Marvel's biggest minds" willingly let the world be the shit it is because making it better isn't a priority (but fighting against other heroes for dumbs reasons is).

And someone who actually tries to do something has to be stopped for reasons that might sound intelligent in the head on a dumb writer.

In which ways would his family be harmed if he cured cancer or created a better educational system?

This comes to mind.

>And someone who actually tries to do something has to be stopped for reasons that might sound intelligent in the head on a dumb writer.
Are you implying that the international community would allow a sovereign nation to exist that threatens their entire future by making them entirely antiquated? The reason they attacked Cable was completely sound and justified (from their perspective)but it completely fucked over humanity in the long run.

marvel characters aren't heroes and havent been for an extremely long time

Shit writing mostly I suppose, like Whor pretending she's fighting cancer.

That's not what I mean. Why should Reed care about that more than devoting his time to his children and being a good husband. Why does he have to be the one to fix the world's problems when he already has enough of his own?

>A good country cannot exist because it would make the bad countries bad
>Therefore, good countries have to be destroyed when the heroes will do so
Really makes you think.

Didn't the real Thor offer to give her some asgardian cure? Why the fuck didn't she take it?

Reasons.

Yes user the countries that are threatened by the other soverign nation's existence had it annihilated. I'm understanding what's so hard to get here. Why would a country not remove something that threatens it's existence especially when said nation had just been founded. And what the fuck are you on about with the heroes? Cap loved Cable's Utopia.

>Why should Reed care about that more than devoting his time to his children and being a good husband.
Because this is what heroes do?

Why would Spider-Man put on a costume and fight people?

Why do the Avengers exist?

Look, this is Luthor curing cancer. It took him FIVE minutes! In all those decades, Reed simply couldn't do that? All while he does wacky shit that has no relevance to anyone all the time?

Becuase curing cancer isn't his job.Once again. Why does Reed have to make the cure. Why can't someone else do it? Why does Reed have to solve everything?

I know, right? Tony Stark should make fucking nano-bots to break apart the cancer.

Why did you post a character that fixed all those things though?

user, there are people nowadays that are trying to cure cancer.

Why do they do that? Why did people cure any disease?

Why do the Avengers save people? Why do doctors are part of Médecins sans Frontières?

Holy fuck! You sound as smart as Marvel writers.

oh its this thread again.

fuck it why not.
Why marvel isn't a post-scarcity communist utopia or whatever the fuck you people want.
1: We're not telling that story.
Cape books are mostly set in next sunday AD. You have weird locations, characters, and all sorts of strangeness but there's a home base to return to, a normalcy that allows for lower paced stories. The ability to go from a dark alley to the rainbow bridge and back again is a definitive feature of big two cape stuff, turning the setting into star trek fucks that up.

2: It's fucking rude.
Twofold here: first, fucking up the setting in a continuing story told by multiple people is generally not cool. Most of the big fuck ups in comics come when writers are like "fuck you this is mine." and try to burn bridges after a run instead of leaving some shit for the next guy.

Furthermore, traditionally people have had, say, cancer be incurable while virus x gets fixed in an issue because real people have real cancer and might get upset by a wizard fixing it. See how everyone's still pissed off about Hudlin having Wakanda fix it and not tell anyone.

3: Cherry picking.
Super-scientist characters work to make the world better all the fucking time in both books. It's just not the focus of the story often because cape books are wrestling and melodrama, not speculative sci-fi. Same goes for rich heroes; almost ALL of them have charity and community improvement projects that get mentioned and used as setting dressing, but people just magically forget that shit and think Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark could poop the cure to crime out with a few well placed investments.

4: Science does not work that way.
Super-science is quick, flashy, and usually only works once. It's a crapshot, a desperate measure to resolve a deadly situation.

Actual science is slow, plodding even, careful, and focused around not giving anyone spider-powers or bat wigs by accident.

When does curing cancer become his responsibility user? At which point does saving lives from disasters and world ending events just don't cut it anymore? Why is curing cancer somehow more fucking important than literally everything else Reed is doing?

Something something muh dignity

One of my friends is a cancer survivor and she hates Whor because I guess they write Jane's cancer in a really contrived way. So, good job, Aaron fucks up everything he touches.

4 cont'd:
Reed isn't a biologist. His closest dabbling in biology is trying to cure Ben, which works with his specialty, the effects of space shit on people and things. What he IS, is a rocket scientist (and, yeah, heroic polymath, blame Doc Savage.). It'd be more relevant to ask why famed geneticist Professor X hasn't found the gene that leads to cancer and gone, "Hey, Henry, fix THAT one."

Being smart, even super-smart, doesn't mean you know everything about every field. Marvel isn't great about that but it's a bit better than DC, who tends to have all their super-scientists be insane polymaths who can do everything. But a lot of DC's super-scientists are villains, where it's more forgivable.

5: Cynicism.
Marvel's always been a bit more cynical than DC, even in FF, often their most hopeful, forward looking book. A story where a hero fails to create a utopia is, traditionally, way more in marvel's wheelhouse than one where it works and then fucking what. And frankly, sadly, that's what's selling nowadays; even Trek's gotten bleak.

No no no no no no

I want an "in-universe" explanation.

Pre-Flashpoint Luthor could do that. He didn't because he was a fucking villain.

Marvel has 20 "heroes" that, according to them, are at least as smart as Luthor. Why don't they do that, since they should be able to do?

Reed Richards can create an Ultimate Nullifier using pieces of shit he picked from his own asshole. Why can't he cure cancer? And if not Reed, how about the other 99 super-genius heroes?

Because Lex gets wanked harder than Reed.

>Why do they do that? Why did people cure any disease?

$$$$$

She stole Thor's name and identity without shame, and is NOTHING without the hammer. She has no dignity.

So he doesn't help people because he simply doesn't care?

ALL of Marvel super-genius simply do not care at all? Is that your explanation?

>Because Lex gets wanked harder than Reed.
Not at all.

Reed is as much wanked as Doom, who is the king of wankery in comics.

it is funny as fuck at how its always Luthor and Doom that have to deal with this kind of shit.

Because that's not the story we're telling, it's fucking rude, you're cherry picking, science doesn't work that way, and Marvel's default position of mild cynicism when it comes to society. (Classic Marvel is very pro-PEOPLE being good and assuming any gathering larger than ten people is a mob or a conspiracy.)

You don't NEED an in universe reason because Reed isn't the best person in the world to be curing cancer, he's the best person in the world to keep Goom, the hate that walks, from eating Staten Island. You could tell a Fantastic Four story about cancer, but it'll probably suck because it's a very real problem that a lot of people, even now, don't entirely understand and the Fantastic Four tend to deal with fantastic problems that reflect their more down to earth issues.

Or maybe I'm wrong and it'd be great. But it wouldn't involve curing cancer because that'd be a bad fucking story.

Where in the fuck did I ever say they didn't care? And I'm saying they do not under any circumstances have any need or are required to provide a cure to cancer. They save thousands if not millions daily by their own volition. And there is zero reason to ask anymore from them. The fucker who constantly puts their life on the line for others doesn't owe anyone a damn thing.

Why would you want to cure cancer? Then the old age dementia rate would spike! Much better for humanity that the elderly die of cancer.

Didn't Reed cure his mailman's cancer?

No need to get offended over a make believe person

>But it wouldn't involve curing cancer because that'd be a bad fucking story.
And a good fucking story is about Ultimate Nullifiers pulled from assholes or Beyonders getting destroyed by bombs? Is that what classics are made of?

>and Marvel's default position of mild cynicism when it comes to society
I can't agree. It sounds more like retardism.

"The world is shit because none of the heroes actually want to cure its problems. It is not their priority"

What?

mmm...lex luthor cured cancer so a DC villain is a better hero that all those super intelligent marvel heroes?

To be fair it wasn't cancer he cured and it was only temporary.
Because he's a dick.

Quaint.

Whatever man, if you hate it don't read it. I've wasted enough words on you.

Miles Morales Cured the end of the Multiverse with a cheese burger. What're you on about?

Every now and again the make an excuse about the tech they develop being to easy to exploit.
I remember Reed mentioning he had tech that could transform deserts into fertile land but could also just as easily do the reverse.
It's still a pretty poor excuse but it's something i guess.

>so a DC villain is a better hero that all those super intelligent marvel heroes?
Apparently.

Few villains would kill thousands of people per day for money. Meanwhile the F4 and all of Marvel's super-genius are doing just that casually.

look at this nigger saying we and getting all buttpissed

That wasn't cancer, it was some kind of Parkinson's allusion, he takes back his "cure" in short order.
Also I find it amusing OP's using a very strained effort of focusing on Marvel heroes when there's a certain other universe where cases of people coming back from the dead or surviving paralysis are known and the means and methods not distributed to the public because the superheroes like to keep their best toys locked up up in their space clubhouse.

There are very few superhero settings where the needs of the few don't outweigh those of the many. Those that attempt to even produce the illusion don't hold it for long. This is a low hanging fruit example because Kirkman's honestly not great, but Invincible is a good example of how a lot of sound and fury is made about the need for change and the coming of change, but inevitably things change very little or some disaster conveniently comes a long and resets things. Cases of people making permanent change are always going to be in self-contained things, not serialized stories.

Pretty much in the MU and the DCU the "fact" that everyone doesn't live in a utopia is because all the smart people are also selfish. Most of the geniuses utilize their ability to fight crime, or cause crime. You rarely, if ever, see a character who uses their intelligence for the sole benefit of another or just altruism.

If some guy has the ability to build a perfect panacea for all disease and death, he'd use it on himself and decide that it was too powerful to share that ability. Dr. Immortal would suddenly decide that his immortality could be used to get money or to stop people from harming others or that he could go places where normal people couldn't and that would be that. Like-wise, when you see a character make a duplicate power set to another established hero, that character seems to just replace the other hero (Iron-Riri for instance, or Chulk, or literal clone X-23). These great minds only tend to be looking out for themselves (and for that matter, Luthor isn't actually into altruism, even at his most selfless, he still promotes himself.)

Friend, no need to get pissed.

Reed can pull Ultimate Nullifiers out of his asshole, right? And Doom is just as intelligent. And so is Black Panther. And so is Beast. And os is Pym. And so is Banner. And so is Cho. and so is Moon Girl. And so is Stark. And os is Riri. And so on and so on.

All of those guys are more than happy to use their intellect to fight each other for the dumbest of reasons, right? So why can't they use their infinite intellect to do something useful, for once?

Reed Richards can create prisons to use against his friends, but he can't create a cure for cancer because "it is not my priority"? Really?

Why doesn't Superman just stop all crime everywhere and give people his super knowledge in his ship?

You only need to wait for our super science savior of the future.

>tech that could transform deserts into fertile land

Shit like this bothers me. There's a REASON those lands aren't fertile. If you terraform a desert, the local geography and the world's weather patterns still won't support it and it won't last.

It's the same "people don't even know why X exists in the first place" problem as that time one of the Phoenix Five thought they were doing a good thing by sealing the San Andreas fault to prevent Earthquakes, but if that really happened, it would fuck up the planet real bad because faultlines are necessary.

>Why doesn't Superman just stop all crime everywhere
Because he doesn't have this power. Different from Marvel's super-genius, who can cure cancer, but just won't do it because "it is not my priority, I'm too busy fighting other heroes".

>give people his super knowledge in his ship?
Because Earth doesn't have the raw materials that Krypton had, so not all technology from Krypton can be applied here.

But people do have access to that (STAR Labs, Steel, Atom, Mr Terrific), and they do use it. That's why DC Earth is more advanced than Marvel's Earth, as Busiek wrote in JLA/Avengers.

Why doesn't Reed cure cancer?

If Kryptonian knowledge was useful for anything other than a who's who of space criminals, they wouldn't be dead.

That reminds me I saw in a documentary somewhere that used to be the Sahara desert was actually quite fertile but somewhere along the way either continental drift or some such caused it to become arid.

Whatever the case that's not the important part, what's interesting is apparently loose sand in the dunes of the Sahara blow to Amazon and supposedly somehow that's why it's so lush over there. There's a lot of speculation here to begin with, but in theory of that hypothetical I suspect that would mean if someone turned the Sahara into a tropical paradise that retained its soil they'd have proper fucked the Rainforest as a consequence.

Then again I guess with their magic tech they could just go make that a paradise again too and play a game of musical chairs with the environment.

I thought it was kinda implied that Superman fixes the world's shit. Anytime he 'dies' or 'leaves' Earth he generally sets it on a course for Utopia. He can just only solve so many problems at once, even with his super intellect plus people kinda set him back from time or fuck him up so that he needs some time to recover.

Ah, here's the business
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_Subpluvial
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_rainforest#Sahara_Desert_dust_windblown_to_the_Amazon

Makes me wonder if Terraforming is even logical. At some point if more goes into trying to keep something stable it's sort of self-defeating. Might as well just go for efficient space stations, mining resources as necessary and drift however long until reaching already habitable planets.

He altered it so it's requires a regular lifetime use.

>Most of the geniuses utilize their ability to fight crime
That's the fucking problem.

T'Challa is a genius, one of Marvel's biggest minds, and blablabla, and yet he thinks that punching people is a more effective way to make the world a better place than, let's say, CURE CANCER!

Can he really be considered intelligent at all, if even a non-genius guy like me can see the failures of his approach?

Why do you make every character a super-genius if every single one of them behaves like a retard?

LUTHOR IS A VILLAIN THOUGH.

Is Reed a villain? T'Challa? Stark? McCoy? Pym? Cho?

Because it sounds like they are.

>McCoy
I really hate what they did with Beast

possibly the best answer

That's pretty much how lefties think

T'Challa seeks to elevate Wakanda and that's it. If he cured all disease, he'd just lord that over everyone else like that's how advanced his people are compared to the rest of the world. He might be smarter than the average person, because he's not allowed to be fallible, but he's still kind of racist and hateful and selfish when he doesn't share the science that makes Wakanda so advanced.

How do we even know the cancers in the marvel universe is like the one in our world? Shit supposed to kill you end up giving you super powers. in real life not all cancers are the same and have the same effective treatment. Treating cancer is complex as hell but none of you faggots know that. Hell one of the marvel characters got some form of super cancer that gave him god like powers but also killed him in a month. Marvel heroes were genuinely lost on how they could help the guy IN TIME before he died because they had never seen this form of weird cancer shit before.

I am sure there are various cures for diseases out there, its just boring to talk about them. Hell does anyone remember all the cool shit Peter invented for horizon labs that is used for public safety and in hospitals? No, no one does. These examples are out there in comic but none of you faggots read them.

Hell Capeshit is about punching bad guys.

You guys are like Rick and Morty fags and just overthink simple stuff.

Fuck you and fuck this thread.

>How is that? They don't want to actually make the world a better place?
Uh, no.
Reed Richards? Evil.
Tony Stark? Dead + Evil.
Steve Rogers? Nazi.
Cyclops? Evil.
Beast? Evil.

The only "good" guys left are the fucking idiots Hawkeye, Dr. Strange and She-Hulk.

>T'Challa seeks to elevate Wakanda and that's it
Then why he joins the Avengers or the Fantastic Four or the Ultimates or protects Hell's Kitchen?

He cares only about Wakanda, except when he also cares about New York? But he doesn't care enough to actually do something useful?

Is that an intelligent character? Is that intelligent writing?

>T'Challa is a genius, one of Marvel's biggest minds, and blablabla, and yet he thinks that punching people is a more effective way to make the world a better place than, let's say, CURE CANCER!
I don't mean to validate the negligence, but in a way to be fair T'Challa and Wakanda, Doom and Latveria and several (tried and failed) Mutant settlements and their leaderships have the justification(?) that they've done their due by virtue of sustaining utopia where they are, it's everyone else in the world that needs to get on their level.

See unlike the cases of Stark, Richards and Pym who enjoy the use of resources disproportionately to the rest of their society, the ruling powers in these sort of settings like T'Challa, Namor, etc or their peers and predecessors have in fact done their part for their community, it just stops at their borders because that's as far as the reach of their rule goes.

The only real way they could be held accountable would be if they were put in charge of the rest of the world and did nothing, but that's seldom a thing.

>but he's still kind of racist and hateful and selfish when he doesn't share the science that makes Wakanda so advanced.

Except he isn't. T'Challa's entire shtick is trying to open up Wakanda and be part of the world and destroy their conservative crazy traditions.

This leads to mixed results where different tribes try to over throw him or ally with outsiders to depose the guy in return of being isolationists.

He always has to tread the line of making Wanda a more welcoming country while at the same time trying not to offend anyone or their traditions.

So I can imagine if he had the cure for cancer, releasing it may actually destabilize the country into an autistic civil war.

Of course I swear most readers agreed the cure for cancer thing was not canon due to how badly written the entire thing was. Kinda like the Stacy twins Gwen had.

>Dr. Strange
Didn't he sell his soul?

it's literaly demons, think anti-life, complete order of the existence.
So, some life form is on it's way to stop entropy? poof, Galactus attack.
Cancer cure? Death makes a contract with Thanos on your ass
Extremis for $99/day? cool. for free? Lucifer steals ur mother soul