After the brutal murder of Phil Hartman, The Simpsons retired his character, Troy McClure

After the brutal murder of Phil Hartman, The Simpsons retired his character, Troy McClure.

Zombie Simpsons brought him back in their seasons premiere, with his severed head impaled on a stick.

Stay classy, writers.

Unless phils head was also impaled there is nothing wrong with this.

>Andy Dick is somehow still walking the Earth

Disgusting.

Before the brutal murder of Phil Hartman, The Simpsons did an episode about how he needed to marry a beard so he could keep on fucking fish.

I didn't take this as an affront to Phil Hartman, as Troy McClure is a cartoon character.

Just a good example of why this shitty show needs to end. They originally retired his characters out of respect, but they don't give a fuck anymore.

this

It's going on 20 years after his death I think using a cartoon character he voiced a couple of times in a Halloween themed episode of the longest running sitcom in American history is fair game

It wasn't actually a halloween episode. The show doesn't give a fuck anymore lol.

There's no shortage of characters you can use as a sight gag. You don't murder the murder victim as a joke

Phil Hartman wasn't decapitated, he was just shot in the head. Get it right, writers.

>They originally retired his characters out of respect, but they don't give a fuck anymore.
No, they didn't recast his characters out of respect. Lionel Hutz is in the background in a bunch of episodes, and the movie.

how do you know this was the writers fault and not the animation director's?

Yeah could've been the animation director's. I know in the old days the writers would write all the background gags themselves into the script, but who knows now.

Technically it's Matt Selman's fault anyway, since he showran the episode.

Spongebob Squarepants and South Park proved they could make a great/good episodes again. Hell, even Family Guy for awhile was putting out episodes that rivaled the quality of it's original pre-cancellation seasons.

It almost blows the mind how bad Zombie Simpsons is. I want to believe that they can pull one more great episode (haven't had one of those since fucking The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson for godsakes) out of their asses before FOX finally puts their doggy to sleep but I don't know.

Sometimes the answer is the most obvious one: Stephen Hillenburg came back to Spongebob and it rekindled much of it's previously lost greatness. Get Groening and Brooks as showrunners for the final season, FOX!!!

anyone notice how good the animation on this episode was?

like, the movements were still at times quite stiff, but there were moments of extreme fluidity of character movements that seemed to remind me of mid-late 90's and early 2000's character movement.

is this a episode special thing or is this going to be the standard?

No they still do that. Mrs. Krabapple was recently retired for the same reason.
I feel people are unnecessarily hard on the new Simpsons. They're still good, just not absolutely amazing like before.

Grimes is dead, Maude, and Krusty's father. They're all on that pic as well.

>the brutal murder of Phil Hartman
???

>>Andy Dick is somehow still walking the Earth

Not only that, but he got to appear on the Simpsons not so long ago.

You don't want to know.

He was murdered by his wife.

Reminder that Andy Dick has had a guest spot on the Simpsons since Phil Hartman's death

They also brought Edna back as a ghost for a quick gag in one episode last season.

>Simpsons was consistently good for about 9 years
>Had been unwatchable shit for 17 years

The series has been terrible for twice the amount of time than it was good. This keeps up it can only really be remembered as a fucking awful show with "some" good episodes

Ok tumblr

Honestly, it was probably just a disconnect in the interests; the people who put this sight gag in thought it would be a funny nod to their older fans, but people wound up seeing it as disrespectful instead because of course they would.

Also, can someone give me the Andy Dick rundown real quick? I don't remember the story as well as I used to and I want to continue to be mad at him.

In "Holidays of Future Passed" Ned offhandedly mentions Edna was accidentally killed by Homer just like Maude was.

You sure that isn't Freddy Quimby?

Anyone have the much more respectful and heartwarming comic where Bart runs into Edna in Heaven?