I just finished Gravity Falls last night, and I'd like to hear Sup Forums's opinion of it

I just finished Gravity Falls last night, and I'd like to hear Sup Forums's opinion of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

gravity-falls-shippings.wikia.com/wiki/Gravity_falls_Shippings_Wiki
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mabel is shit

Soos was my favorite

i liked it

Dipper should've taken the chance to get with Mabel's asian friend.

Dipper should have fucked Bill or Pacifica

this

The show is a look into Hirsch's troubled mind full of self-hatred and repressed lust for his siter.

Wasted potential

how so?

Dipper and Robbie should've became bros.

Such a great show from start to finish.
Fuck Mabel, but we pretty much all feel this way. Also I thought it was just a damn shame that dipper went back to high school instead of monster hunting with his uncles.. that was the worst mistake of his life.

Left some things unsolved that makes me a bit salty when folks say it wrapped up "perfectly."

Why's the town weird, what's Dipper's birth name, and why did Bill's guys job so hard in the finale?

I feel the same, it got abridged from 3 to 2 seasons because Alex couldn't handle the pressure and it shows with several dropped or condensed plot threads.

Amazing cartoon and one of the best in the past years but Sup Forums throws autistic fits on it because they didn't like the finale (which i agree wasn't perfect but doesn't deserve the hatred it gets), treats Mabel like the worst character created in the past 20 years and Pacifica as the second coming of Jesus.
You won't be able to discuss much about the show here unless you talk about pinecest but then your thread will get insta-pruned

I know we've got like 3 to 4 years left of this decade and you never know what might come out of the remainder of the 2010s but, as things stand right now I feel confident that I will look back upon Gravity Falls as the best cartoon of this decade.

The problem wasn't just the ending though, it was Season 2b as a whole.

Pacifica.

It's good, other than Disney censoring the trans symbol in the love god episode. Inb4 conservative pedophiles accuse it of "gay propaganda" while ignoring the fact that Russia is the world's pedo capital.

Otherwise, I feel Mabel should have gotten one or two moments where she shows solidarity towards Dipper. It's clear she loves him very much, but it's also easy to see why people claim she's selfish.

>censoring the trans symbol in the love god episode.
Good. Mental Illness is not something to be celebrated, and certainly not something to be turned into a special little unique club. You people ought to be ashamed of your selves.

>It's clear she loves him very much,
Hey remember that part in Weirdmageddon where she not only replaced her brother with a magical Clone, but with an Idealized one that acted nothing like Dipper and only superficially resembled him in appearance. That makes what you said very hard to believe.

Was it really Disney? I mean, Star vs has a gay kiss between two background characters and that was apparently fine. That's way bigger than a symbol a good chunk of the audience won't even know. Though I don't know how many years after GF that was, maybe the execs just had a change of mind.

Coincedence, I finished it like 2 days ago and it was great

All the other girls on that roadtrip were way cuter

Dipper's real name is Mason

>mason
>as in, free masons
This fucking show is just filled with all sorts of propaganda shit huh

>Mason
>Son of May
>Mabel
>Belle of May

really makes you think

Because they were jobbers, how is that unsolved? They aren't omnipotent beings, dumbass

The town was weird because of its weirdness

That was a joke get over it. Still can't be how serially people take this show. I agree that the ending was definitely rushed though and they should have written the stuff with Mabel differently.

I think part of the reason it was popular because people read too much into it and made it deeper/darker than it actually was.

Heh, like when people thought Soos was hiding a secret because the beaver means revenge on the totem and that false herring about the "handyman knows more than it seems"

>make statement
>Example is brought up that disproves your statement
>Instead of refuting it through a shit fit and say that it doesn’t count.
You are doing a very poor job as Gravity Falls’ defender.

In terms of book smarts, which current characters in different shows are most similar to some of the characters in GF (I.e. Dipper, Ford, etc.)?

dipper is 13
The smartest guy was the hillbilly whose name escapes me

>Dipper should've taken the chance to get with Mabel's asian friend.

CanDip was the least popular ship.

This is more a measure of “which ship’s fanbase is the most autisticly obsessed” rather than “which ship’s fanbase is the largest”.

But I do agree Candip is shit.

Pacifica Northwest and as few articles of clothing as possible.

Really, it wouldn't have been that hard to include a scene or two of Mabel apologizing for her apocalyptic mistake and trying to make up for it, and I'm pretty sure most of the people here would've forgiven her for her bullshit had it happened

But when the show ends without resolving it, she just comes off as a cunt

Retroactively ruined by a disappointing ending and awfully long hiatuses.

Waiting more than two months for Weirmaggedon part 3 was bullshit.

>season 1
Funny, very enjoyable and fun. Entertaining.
>season 2
Where did this half asses 2deep4u plot come in? Oh Bill is Big bad? Wait what’s happened to Mabel, why is she such a selfish bitch? She’s just going to get away with that? Make that those.. them? Idk I stopped counting now.

I hope you're talkin at least 80% cleavage up there.
Which by itself is a LOT of skin. On her, at least.

The amount of shit GF gets exclusively on Sup Forums seems astounding but I haven't watched anything past season 1 yet so I can't tell if it's as blown out of proportion as it appears.
Season 1 was very solid though, and even if Mabel acts like a bitch and gets away with it in 2 I find it hard to believe it got that bad.

She beat up a Unicorn for not saying she was pure and perfect.

Just enjoy season 1 and forget about season 2.

nice lack of context, but the unicorn had it coming

Mabel was being an arrogant little shit, thinking so was automatically worthy of the unicorn. And then, Instead of actually confronting herself and her flaws, she just tries to buy her way over with Brownie points from acts of false Altruism. The Unicorn being a dick doesn’t make it wrong.

2A was by far the strongest stretch of the series.

2B wasn't bad and had a lot of great episodes, but it was very rushed. It feels obvious that the show was originally planned to have 3 seasons, 1 for each month of summer. 2A was a condensed season 2 and 2B was a condensed season 3. As a result some things were rushed and quickly zipped through and dissapointing. In fact the creator almost quit the show after season 1 because working for Disney tv animation is really horrible but Jon Stewart and other big celebrities and Hollywood directors like Guillermo del Toro convinced him to wrap up the show.

It's still not bad though Sup Forums just likes to bitch about everything, the hiatuses and lore made certain members of the fan base hype it so high nothing would ever have satisfied them. However it is true that with a little extra time to flesh a few things out just a little bit more the show could have been truly amazing instead of just pretty great.

Here have some Titsfica.

>that spike in Pinecrest in 2014
Thankyou Mike Inel?

>Jon Stewart and other big celebrities and Hollywood directors like Guillermo del Toro convinced him to wrap up the show
Really?

I still cannot comprehend how Billdip is so huge
Fucking foreigners and their shit taste

It was a good show, but not great. In general my complaints are that it was too episodic and too silly. The rushed ending certainly didn't help it. But a perfectly serviceable show regardless.

Well yes I doubt that many kids watching wanted the twin siblings to get it on. It depends on what you mean by "fanbase." It roughly matches up with fanworks when we talked about the number here before so people who are "active" fans who make and look at things and join clubs for the ships. But I'm sure for normies and casual types it was mostly Wendip if anything.

Probably. I am curious about the spikes and dips. I'm pretty sure the Pinecest dip was right when Doublepines got harassed by angry tumblrinas until she threw up her hands and stopped making stuff for a while.

The creator said so in and interview and I remember he specifically mentioned Jon Stewarts whose kids were big fans of the show.

I don't know but there's that Russian Billdip club with 30,000 members (part of Putin's plan to destroy the US?) and you can't even blame tumblr for Billdip since they had a massive angry crude against it for being "offensive." Something really weird happened there.

Rural and suburban retards wanted ships like Wendip/Padippica/Pinecest.

High IQ city folk preferred Candip.

Pretty great series overall, easily one of the best of this decade. It's biggest weaknesses were not being able to live up to the post-Ford hype and not having a third season so it could better pace and develop shit.

/ss/, poor!guy/rich!girl, and incest are all better than WMAF, though

The first act of most episodes was more entertaining than the latter parts.

Lots of potential not executed to the fullest of it's ability because Alex is a hack.

How so?

What the fuck is his problem?

We ended up with a decent cartoon, but with its setting and premise we could have had something so much better.

Yeah, I've noticed that most episodes seem to get progressively worse the further along they are

Star Vs. is a better show.

>/ss/
Maybe, but honestly, Wendy and Dipper were like 2 years apart. It's oft compared to Vicky/Timmy (six years apart) or Mac/Frankie (10? years apart) which is a little ridiculous.
>poor!guy/rich!girl
For some reason the fans of pairings like these always come off as seeming like they have the most to prove.
>incest
Literally for rural and suburban retards.

That wasn't the real Gabe Newell he got into an argument with, right?

I dunno, a lot of the hanging out in the mystery shack was funnier than when the spooky part of the episode shows up.

I agree with all of those point, but they're still better than WMAF

>unverified account that has like 50 followers and mostly tweets about cartoons
Call it a hunch... but... I don't think it is.

>or

Dipper isn't white he's a jew.

Other countries liked to imagine the theoretical love lives of geometric shapes, perhaps it is simply too esoteric for you to comprehend.

>pairing Bill with anybody other than Pyronica

shit taste indeed

that would of been cool

>fall in love with him "because you were nice to me"
>get mad because he talked to other girls as if he had some sort of obligation towards her
>fell out of love because he showed fear towards the giant spider people
Dipper dodged a bullet there

We needed more Pyronica. Only one ass shot? Fuck that shit.

>Alex Hirsch on writing season 2b of Gravity Falls

Too bad she barely had any screentime

Appreciated user.

It was a great show. It's just that the finale and anything that had to do with love issues sucked

Roadside attraction honestly just felt like Mabel was egging both of them on just to be a little fucking instigator.

You're right on the last one though. That came out of nowhere, especially when she's witnessed acts of bravery by Dipper, and has also fled or been afraid of monsters before. Alex became such an unbelievably shitty writer towards the latter stages of season 2.

>For some reason the fans of pairings like these always come off as seeming like they have the most to prove
I missed the discussion when the show was airing, but I get the feeling this is because of how NWMN showed a glimpse of what could have been only to never touch on it again.

>incest
>Literally for rural and suburban retards.

I think you mean for true patricians.

Liked it. The characters were fun, the mystery was creative, and the humor had a good blend between charming and dark.

Lamented the lack of a third season though. Wished that a few of the characters got more of a chance to flesh out their development, like Ford and Pacifica. And give the zodiac wheel more relevance than none at all.

Also thought the main villains were kind of weak until the end. Bill was a fun idea, but didn't get the chance to be properly intimidating until the finale.

In retrospect, doesn't Alex look like the dumbest fucking person in the business?

He had a hit cartoon on one of the big three channels. Despite all the belly aching he did over the censors being too much, Disney actually gave him tons of leeway (Do you think Phineas and Ferb or Kim Possible would've gotten away with some of the blood and body horror Gravity Falls had?). He was getting lots of attention from animation journalists and media in general.

And for what? He fucked it all up, took his ball and went home, so he could play second fiddle to the production of a fucking Detective Pikachu movie that appears to be in development hell? Or a Fox cartoon which we've heard nothing about and will probably be required to follow the "Dumb father/Bitchy mother/Snarky older sister/Nerdy younger brother" MacFarlane format like everything else or maybe even some shitty overly liberal Drumpf bitchfest political cartoon?

I've never seen a bigger waste of talent or piece of shit in the industry, but looking back, one may consider that Alex never really possessed the talent to begin with. Once the Brothers Chaps fucked off, you were left with Alex and his dated Nintendo humor like that squashed Navi fairy. Sad!

gravity-falls-shippings.wikia.com/wiki/Gravity_falls_Shippings_Wiki

Find your strange and probably badly defaced and inaccurate and inactive ship pages here. Roll for random and see what monstrosities and horrors you reveal.

I'm rewatching and is crazy to think how few episodes they have after the author's reveal and backstory episodes and the finale. We could have had a full season of Not What He Seems-type tension building up to a three-part season 2 finale of reveal and back story. And then we could have had a real payoff for Dipper and then a whole season of Dungeons Dungeons and Dungeons-type hijinks, with Ford balancing out the dynamic for the remainder of the series and then unleash Bill for the finale.
But no we only got 2 seasons.

>other than Disney censoring the trans symbol in the love god episode

Wtf I love Disney and hate Gravity Falls now

>go to Pinecest
>scroll down to comments
>nearly 400 comments of people either saying incest is wrong, wishing they weren't related, or otherwise arguing back and forth

Charming.

Wasn't it more like 4 years?

Yeah, god if you think this board lost its collective shit after NWHS, just imagine if it'd been the fucking season finale - the board would have imploded on itself like a neutron star

I didn't browse co back then. What happened? did people predict the twin thing?

>conservative pedophiles

>I didn't browse co back then. What happened?
Sup Forums went completely fucking nuts for the next two weeks

>did people predict the twin thing?
oh yeah

Makes sense to me
You think pedos are champions of human rights?

Pretty good. Mabel could have been better, Dipper could have been better.

Bump

Agreed

>what are catholics

Indeed
>Be afraid that your third season will be an mess and not live up to the quality of the others
>Compress it into an second half of an season
>It turns into an mess anyway

Great show, very beautiful art.

Hirsch wanted Gravity Falls to be "Twin Peaks for kids" so bad he even made the show shit after the big reveal halfway through the second season, just so it matches up

Webby from the DuckTales reboot is pretty similar to Dipper, but her focus is more on the socially awkward aspect and not the conspiracy aspect, but they are both very prevalent in her character