How come Image took all of Vertigo's thunder? Everybody releases their creator owned stuff on Image now...

How come Image took all of Vertigo's thunder? Everybody releases their creator owned stuff on Image now, even Vertigo darlings like Morrison do.

What happened?

What's everyone's favorite Image Title thus far?

God Country ended.

It's probably easier and I'd image DC would take more money from you

The Vertigo contract got changed in the 00's. I think the payment ended up being different and WB gets first crack and turning the book into a film or TV show, which means the creators can't shop the book around to get option money elsewhere for like five years or something.

I guess because Image is seen as neutral ground and it won't affect your chances of being hired by either Marvel or DC.

this

Also The Walking Dead exploded not too long after the contract change and sold like crazy, which led to a lot of blatant movie/tv pitches in comic form
Then Saga did as well which is one reason why there were soooo fucking many sci fi comics out within 1-2 years of Saga coming out
Creators realized they could get more money/opportunities if they took a gamble with Image than if they played safe with Vertigo

Very appealing to writers who already have fanbases which is why as time went on Vertigo could really only get writers who weren't that big or were from other mediums

Wew, no wonder.

Did Marvel ever have a Vertigo equivalent?

If you're already a popular writer your profits will be a lot higher at image since vertigo gives a steady page rate.

That and also it was at the same time Before Watchmen happened and creators took it as a sign that the Big 2 don't exactly have creators' interests at heart.

Also Millar having success with Kick-Ass happened a little before it, too.

Max would be somewhat analogous, but it ended up less arty.

>He doesn't know about Epic
Educate yourself.

In the 80's they did, with Epic, but that died out by the early 90's (and only briefly revived to complete reprinting the rest of Akira).

Currently there's Icon, which is reserved for their top creators. But even then creators are forced to prioritize their Marvel work before they can do their Icon work because the Marvel work actually pays in advance.

Current vertigo is basically icon. A place for exclusives to publish their stuff.

You don't fully own your Vertigo work and you get paid page rate + royalties
You own fully your Image work and earn what you sell

Savage Dragon

Everyone wants them Millar/Kirkman bucks.

Make sure to buy Imaginary Fiends by Tim Seeley to support Vertigo. Six issue miniseries

I like Autumnlands, but it's been on hiatus for a long time.

East of West is pretty good.

i wish hickman would fucking finish something

It's on its final arc though, isn't it?

rumble

Prophet, easily.

>not knowing about Epic
I don't blame user... nothing out of Epic comes to the level of Vertigo's Preacher, Swamp Thing, VfV, Y:TLM...

Because people began making tv shows and movies based on comics. You can do a book at Vertigo and if a movie/tv show gets made DC gets most of the money. Or you can do a book at image and keep 100% of the rights and make more money.

People want to own their stuff. The only reason you would practically do a Vertigo book is if you wanted to write a preexisting character they already own. Young Animal is probably going to replace Vertigo.