Why didn't she get a boyfriend?

4 of the 5 girls did, and she made it very obvious she wanted one. Doesn't seem fair.

Other urls found in this thread:

s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=11042
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=11126
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=9927
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you're talking the show exclusively, according to the season two showrunner, she's a lesbian deep in the closet and in denial.

In the comics, pretty sure she gets a boyfriend or two.

wasn't the guy who's into her not in her league?

That's Martin, but there's also her massive crush on Andrew Hornby that becomes a ridiculous running gag towards the end of season 2.

>according to the season two showrunner, she's a lesbian deep in the closet and in denial.

Greg Weisman?

I wouldn't take that seriously. One of his gimmicks is that every time a show of his gets cancelled or ends, he retroactively announces that "X character was gay all along". Then he gets heaped with praise for being daring or progressive, even though the character was never portrayed as gay within the show-itself and Weisman never actually took any risks when the show was on the air.

He's kind of a hack like that.

She also goes crazy for an entire episode ("O Is for Obedience"), basically treating her friends as slaves, all for this Vance Michael Justin guy.

I thought it was either her or the Asian girl were lesbian.

Because according to fan canon, she already had a different boyfriend every night.

GL:TAS will never return. It's time to accept it.

Eeh, Nerissa and Cassidy's relationship had some subtext.

Plus he's acted on the gay stuff when he's allowed to, like Beast Boy's mother in Young Justice or having actual gay or bisexual characters in Starbrand & Nightmask. Even Lexington met his love interest in the Gargoyles comic.

Speaking of Greg Weisman on W.I.T.C.H., here's the most details I've read yet about season 3:
>I have to admit that my memory on WITCH's never-happened third season are a bit vague now. But Sylla and Riddle were very important, and Taranee and I think Martin and Cornelia would transfer to Riddle's school. The Guardians would take on a temporary new member, as in the comics. There were other elements from the comic, including characters I can now picture in my head -- but whose names I can't immediately call to mind. But Irma's mom would have been very important.
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=11042
Really puts things in perspective, and makes me wonder if it was a good thing the show ended when it did, or at least that he wasn't involved starting from season 1.

Should I watch this show when ever it would come on I turned it off cause I thought it was a winx club knockoff.

What's so bad about any of that? Even if the comics after Nerissa were weak, there's a strong chance an adaptation could fix the stuff that didn't work. Also, was Irma's mom important in the comics?

That being said, I'm fine with the show ending after the second season, if mostly because the ending was actually satisfying. All of the major arcs are resolved, the stuff with the agents was more of a light tease, and the girls are in a good spot by the end.

The first season is okay, if a bit formulaic. Second season is genuinely good.

I enjoyed both more than Winx, though Winx had the hotter girls.

It has nothing in common with magical girl shows except a few superficial elements. It's really more like ATLA with the main characters being girls.

Though IMO it's better than ATLA. Significantly better in season 2.

More like the first season is great, while the second season is brilliant. (Though there were a few things I liked more in the first season too; it's a "two steps forward, one step back" kind of situation.)

The W.I.T.C.H. girls are the hottest cartoon girls. Only some anime might be able to compete.

I'm mostly referring to the part about characters changing schools. That seems like a recipe for disaster considering that the school scenes were a major part of the appeal of the show, and in fact I cannot think of a cartoon that did them nearly as well. They were integrated into the main plots of the series virtually flawlessly.

And then there's this tidbit:
>If Disney had told me it was a comedy show for the Disney Channel set in a high school with a little magic thrown in and then halfway through production changed their collective mind to make it a fantasy action show with a little comedy for Jetix instead (which is what happened to the Season One producers).
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=11126
Really? Unless they completely changed the scripts in the little time they presumably had to do such a thing, this makes no sense at all. The main storyline was very obviously in motion even in the earliest episodes.

(In fact, what struck me the most when I just started watching this show was just how fast they threw the setup of the show at the viewer in the very first few episodes. It was quite weird and I was actually concerned the series would suffer for it, but it turned out that made it better, because it helped it avoid falling into exactly the type of trap that Greg seems to be referring to there.)

>That being said, I'm fine with the show ending after the second season, if mostly because the ending was actually satisfying. All of the major arcs are resolved, the stuff with the agents was more of a light tease, and the girls are in a good spot by the end.
It's like the one Greg Weisman show that didn't get cancelled on a cliffhanger or anything close to one.

I'm just glad eastern Europe enjoyed it enough for it to get an DVD release with English audio, because I highly doubt it will be released in any other form any time soon.

>Also, was Irma's mom important in the comics?
This Q&A seems highly relevant:
>we learn that Cornelia's little sister is the heart of earth and that it was because of this that Cornelia was made a guardian. We also learn that each of the guardians have a reason for being picked to be a guardian, though we only find out why Hay-Lin and Cornelia are guardians, and we are left in the dark about the other three. What I am wondering is, since I've never read the comics, did you come up with this idea or was this an idea that came from the comic books? If it was from the comic books, do you know if they ever mention why the other three guardians were chosen to be guardians? If it was you, did you plan out why the other three guardians were chosen? If so, would you enlighten me on the subject, seeing as there will not be any more seasons of the show?
>I think it was me. I had a notion for Irma, involving her birth mother and brothers -- an idea inspired by the comics, but not from them per se.
>I had not yet worked out reasons for Taranee or Will, but figured they'd come to me eventually -- had the show continued.
s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=9927
Which is rather concerning in terms of a hypothetical season 3, because isn't Irma's mom her birth mother in the animated series (unlike in the comics)?

>I'm mostly referring to the part about characters changing schools. That seems like a recipe for disaster considering that the school scenes were a major part of the appeal of the show, and in fact I cannot think of a cartoon that did them nearly as well. They were integrated into the main plots of the series virtually flawlessly.

There's nothing wrong with shaking things up. It's preferable to letting things stagnate, and it opens up new storytelling opportunities.

It's why it's unfair to judge ideas without execution.

But again, I don't have a significant issue (in principle) with the other ideas, just that one, and only because it seems so fundamentally opposed to a very major part of the series.

Irma is supercute tho
Any art?

>tho
You're not implying something else is bad about W.I.T.C.H., are you?

Why she cant get a boyfriend in first place?

That is the OP question...

>Even if the comics after Nerissa were weak
The second half of the first arc was dreadful, and the Nerissa Arc was not as good as the three arcs that followed it.
Only with the Ragorlang Arc did the comic actually start making worse arcs than the second half of Arc 1(Phobos) and Arc 2(Nerissa)

I just want you guys to know I'm enjoying all this WITCH talk. It truly is an underrated show.

Didn't the animated series adapt some material from the later arcs? Is that why it was better?

>It truly is an underrated show.
It is also a shining example of a truly international cartoon, possibly the only good one.

The source material is Italian, the animation is French, the writing and setting are American, and the show was by far most popular in eastern Europe (especially Russia), which was the only region to get full DVD releases, so far the only high quality releases of the series in general.

The comics were pretty popular in Scandinavia too, I think there were some official supplementary novels written by a Danish YA fantasy author that got released here.

I'm talking about the cartoon only. I'm not familiar with the popularity of the comics by country.

I'm curious if there's any country where the show was popular but the comic wasn't.

Pretty sure the show was much more popular than the comic in the US, though that's not saying much.

Might also be the case in eastern Europe, because I haven't found nearly as many fans of the comics from there as of the show.

Speaking of the show going international... I'm still pissed that everyone online seems to only know about the vastly inferior US theme song.
As for the season 2 international remix? Forget it.

I am so disappointed that this show is relatively unpopular compared to the likes of PPG, or even Kim Possible, on the one hand, and Winx Club - or even worse, Trollz - on the other. W.I.T.C.H. should be treated as a template for how to write female characters.

All of the main girls (including Elyon) are at the same time Action Girls and relatively boy-crazy, which means they avoid both of the pitfalls of being either too feminist or too girly. On top of that, they all have very rounded and highly distinct personalities that still manage to utterly shatter superficial initial stereotyping. Will is not a Tomboy, Irma is not a Spicy Latina, Cornelia is not an Alpha Bitch, Hay Lin is not an Asian Airhead, Taranee is not Black and Nerdy, and Elyon is not a Princess Classic.

Anybody play any of the games? I heard there was a pc one but only played the gba version

>the show was by far most popular in eastern Europe (especially Russia)
It's the same with Winx and LoliRock. What is it with Slavs and magical girls?

Their country is shit, they have a total 5 hours of daylight, and war breaks out over there every 10 years.
I think they just want a break cause it's either magical girls or suicide for them.