Marvel Legacy DOA

F

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/10/05/marvel-legacy-issues-week-one-sold/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hahaha wow

Guess those retailer grumblings that nobody was buying Legacy was correct.

JUST

>meanwhile
bleedingcool.com/2017/10/05/marvel-legacy-issues-week-one-sold/
>Marvel Legacy issues from the first week of October have sold out from Marvel and Diamond Comic Distributors and all are going back to second printing.
Why marvel is lying?

Digitalfags all have Marvel unlimited and wait 6 months

top kek

Those are digital while actual floppy a outselling DC.

>injustice keeps getting into top 10s
talk about striking gold
DC should thank NetherRealm every month

I don't think it's really a lie. I'm sure they managed to ship all the Legacy issues they printed out of the warehouse through whatever means they can. It's just that nobody is actually buying them from the LCSs.

Freaking Marvel. They make it very hard to even feel sorry for them.

nostalgia shit is beaten by Bat shit
everybody loses

How long will this go until we get legitimate consideration to fire Brevoort, Alonso, etc. along with a massive creative team shakeup across the board? Marvel's already pulled the Rebirth card and there's no fucking place they can go from here as far as a promotional standpoint. Most long term readers trust NOBODY at Marvel right now so I can't see them possibly turning this around any time soon.

It turns out that making an AU with everyone's worst traits amplified while also making everyone incredibly dumb can be a monetary success.
It is very stupid, and that makes it great

Well is probably a bunch of baseless rumors but a "insider" posted that if Legacy fails Marvel is going to be moving to Cali to be closer to disney.

Supposedly they just ship to retailers even if they drop the orders.

The real question is who are they lying to? All the shops will see through this. Is it just a hatred of telling the hard truth? The dumbest buyers who might fall for this probably do not read comic book news.

Digitalfag here checking in. You're right, that's what I do

Makes sense though. Disney can keep them close and there is going to be alot of cheap talent around trying to get into movies animation whatever.

Plus gives them an excuse to clean house and above all change the course of the ship.

Still nothing is real until it is.

>the fucking state of Slott

At my store (big one in Boston) there was still a big pile of lenticular Legacy copies from last week. I also noticed how the new Ghost Rider comic looked like X-men because of the shit 3d effect. The new Legacy books were mostly unsold while Batman the Dawnbreaker was down to 2 copies after like an hour of the store being open.

No fucking way it did this bad.

The fucking irony of Slott not seeing what he's saying to people who sell his shit book

Anyone got more Ryan higgins tweets? This is gold.

First non-Star Wars title from Marvel is last week's Legacy at #12. First actual standard issue from this week isn't until #15. It's bad, it's really bad.

>Muties
>Muties
>Bendis-Man
"""Relaunch"""

>Murder Machine still selling

nice

That's a massive embarrassment

This.

Darkest timeline.

It's not even nostalgia shit. Rebirth was nostalgia shit, they really tried to play up people's feelings with that one and wanted to make it feel dramatic and shit. Legacy is "hey, look, all of your favs (most well known but dead) characters are not dead anymore or maybe cavemen for some reason. aren't you happy now".

Marvel antics aside I haven't really been keeping up with ongoing stuff in general. Is Superman good?

Medium to good. Nothing out of the parks, nothing too bad. It's a dad book, about Superman being a dad

It’s Superman being Superman. If you love the character, you’ll love the book.

Nah, its just Marvel can't nostalgia right. They'd rather push shitty self inserts than their actual characters.

The murder machine first, and now the dawnbreaker.
Could we say that dark nights are the NIGHTMARE of Marvel?

Dawnbreaker wasn't even that good, at least not as good as Murder Machine

I agree but the art was ok. It's just an edgy batman.
However i'm really upset about the pattern followed by these issues : New batman vilain appears in earth 0 > immediatly confront his justice league equivalent > btfo him in 1 panel > Fate arrives and saves his ass.

I wanted some big 1v1 so much.

There's a Hal +GLC tie-in to Metal, so I'm guessing that's where the big showdown against Dawnbreaker happens

Hopefully it's coming up later, but I won't hold my breath about it

The next four regular book tie-ins seem to be "JL vs. The Batmen" so the fight might be in there

Its cheap and entertaining. Kind of like yellow press.

You haven't been paying attention to Marvel lately, have you?

>How long will this go until we get legitimate consideration to fire Brevoort, Alonso, etc. along with a massive creative team shakeup across the board? Marvel's already pulled the Rebirth card and there's no fucking place they can go from here as far as a promotional standpoint. Most long term readers trust NOBODY at Marvel right now so I can't see them possibly turning this around any time soon.
Marvel has burned a lot of bridges with fans at this point, I don't see them recovering those audiences. Ironically, their only hope is to double down on attempting to appeal to new ones, but that's been going laughably badly so far, as demonstrated by OP

The only thing they have left going for them at this point is Star Wars, and Star Wars is going to be heavily bleeding fans the next several years as Kathleen Kennedy makes the same stubborn mistakes over at Lucasfilm that Sana Amarat's been making at Marvel

Best case is they branch off their own Young Animal imprint equivalent and let decent writers do their own thing away from the butchered continuity they've left themselves with on their main line

Marvel seems to be overpriced while DC's prices have a wider range and still cheaper. I can see why Marvel thinks they're breaking even.

All is right with the world.

Lets be honest, its not Marvel's agenda that is killing them. It's their mistreatment of writers and their inability to scout and keep talent.

>Ironically, their only hope is to double down on attempting to appeal to new ones

What if that was the plan? abandon old readers and change their market. New markets take time. I'm not with them but I'm thinking.

>Marvel seems to be overpriced while DC's prices have a wider range and still cheaper. I can see why Marvel thinks they're breaking even.
If they can't attract more customers then why not gouge your existing ones to cover your mistakes. That's the thing I respect the most about Rebirth. DC made comics affordable so more people can get more comics. They made the initial half dozen issues returnable so if fans didn't like it then it was them, not retailers who would take the hit. That's fucking balls and absolute confidence they were listening to the fans and making things they wanted. Marvel did none of that and Legacy was another bullshit cashgrab. The fact that many retailers were selling it for huge discounts or just giving it away for free in the hopes of pulling back readers at the cost of their pocket was sad.

The actual comic sales are basically loss leaders at this point, the money is insignificant compared to literally every other division and the far more important purpose is to promote the brand and characters

The number of comics getting read matters a lot more than sales dollars when each new lego set they license brings in more money than most of their books do in a year combined

Too bad all their comic division is managing to do is alienating fans of their most lucrative characters and creating fatigue and distaste for their ongoing universe (while also tanking sales, to add insult to injury)

By that same token, something like SpiderGwen is more lucrative than pretty much anything they've introduced in the last decade regardless of if it sells at all because that character can (and will) merit adaptations for the masses

DC could easily drop every non-Bat book and still get at least 4 in top 10 every week.

>Lets be honest, its not Marvel's agenda that is killing them
I disagree

As does Marvel's VP of Sales

Disney's been smart to not let it infect their film division, but it's soured a lot of long-time readers in a way that will be difficult to fully undo

Fucking embarrassing. This is what Marvel gets for giving an overpriced insencere Rebirth followed by the exact same shit that was already being rejected but with a shitty misprinted variant cover. Let them burn.

Why does Dan Slott constantly whine like a bitch on Twitter? Marvel should shut him down, it's just embarassing

This

Too bad you will learn to like it.

Say it with me now

OVERSHIPPING

It's why retailers are starting to push back hard against Marvel.

Marvel can ship them. But the stores can't sell them.

It's decent. As a guy who likes Superman, I think the stories are a bit safe, but some people enjoy it

All the good DC books are 3.99 though

I'm not caught up but I don't really like Jon.

Fate didn't save Cyborg.

And with Wonder Woman and Superman currently being sent somewhere else by Barbatos I imagine their counterparts are going to fight other heroes.

It's good. Superman, Action Comics, and Hal and Pals are basically the only books I get.

>Superman, Batman, and the JLA stomping some Marvelcuck ass

All is right with the world.

Game over Marvel.

The only way out of this is to line up all the trash characters you've created to overshadow the old guard and gun them down.

Do to them what you did to the New Warriors. Humiliate them, then kill them, then sweep them into the dustbin to be forgotten.

This is checkmate Marvel. You've lost. The only thing left is your surrender.

Good job X-men books, still hanging in there

>X-men
>Supehero team treated like shit by the people they help

>X-men
>Superhero book treated like shit by the company it helps

Like fucking pottery.

>G14 is the size of building
>Kong is not even the size of some trees
>G14 choking Kong

When the SJWs tweet your name on twitter, don't pander to them.

The Legacy is dead. Bury it.

Consider this mercy.

Its a joke bro.

Question, do digital sales even matter? Or are they even an accurate gauge on comic sales

Between this and the new Pacific Rim my 'tism got trigger is all user

Shinji, Mirror Shinji, Kit, and Adam teaming up when?

Clearly Marvel needs a Star Wars/Marvel Universe crossover to save them.

>Thinking Dragon Knight is ever coming back
>Thinking RYUKI is ever coming back
What is it like to be so optimistic about life

It's alright bro. Have some more zilla humor.

They've always done that since Quesada came on board though. The difference this time is that they're angering the new fans just as much as the old.

Marvel would like you to believe they matter, but of course never gives any actual figures to support this. Chances are they're pretty inconsequential.

>Question, do digital sales even matter? Or are they even an accurate gauge on comic sales
It's about 8% of the market, which is a good sample size to see what comics are actually selling to readers without the various factors which complicate the direct market reports from Diamond (overshipping, etc.).

Not optimistic, just base everything on feelings instead of reason.

So how long until Marvel gets their own rebirth? Like are we at the DCYou stage or late Nu52 stage?

I don't know the specific costs of shipping and printing and storage and so on, but I have to imagine a lot more of the money from a digital sale ends up in the publisher's bank account, so that 8% might look a lot bigger from DC or Marvel's perspective.

That was Secret Wars. In a death spin from a failed rebirth.

Not even that. DCYou and All-New All-Different Marvel were out at the same time and had a lot of lowered sales that concerned retailers.

DC corrected course instantly with Rebirth right after DCYou wasn't doing well.

After ANAD Marvel just went ahead with HydraCap (which pissed off fans that didn't read comics) and Civil War II (which pissed off fans that did read comics). And then they announced Marvel Now 2 which.... didn't have a good reaction even to CBR, a site that has a heavy Marvel bias. People tried to claim that the poll was obviously being spammed by Anti-Marvel people but then Marvel Now came and retailers were still concerned about being able to sell Marvel stuff.

And then they went full speed ahead on Secret Invasion and then announced the Generations and Legacy one-shot, which drew comparisons to Rebirth. But now these are the reactions we're seeing.

Short version: Where Marvel is at is like if DC didn't course correct with Rebirth and went with something with less reception than DCYou twice.

Yeah, "new markets take time" but there's precious little evidence that there actually is a new market to create here. The best evidence was 3.5 years ago when Ms Marvel 2014 was a MINOR hit for like six months.

>new fans
No such thing. They're not "angering new fans just as much as the old". Potential new fans are just being alienated.
>Hey little girl! Would you like something called Squirrel Girl! Want to try an issue!? It's totally bizarre, is written by a nonfunny Canadian man who has a type of aspergers where he thinks he's very funny and makes everyone have the same "adult baby" personality, and the art is by a woman who hates the world and doesn't give a shit! Sound fun?

>Like are we at the DCYou stage or late Nu52 stage?
Neither. They're still #1 both in units sold and dollars generated every month.

Don't forget that A LOT of that digital number is based on blow-out sales. Plenty of people only buy digital comics when they go on sale. So that's all well and good, but if you're Marvel and you're debating whether any title from Thanos or Gwenpool should be canceled or not due to low monthly sales, the very notion of "well maybe like a year from now we can have a sale and sell a few dozen digital TPB collections for $1.19 each" doesn't really enter into it.

You'd think so, but the difference in profit margin between print and digital isn't all that big. Digital middlemen like Comixology, Apple, and especially Amazon take just as large a chunk as Diamond (in Amazon's case, they demand a higher % than Diamond) and you also have to factor in costs in formatting the comics in various ways, for various devices and operating systems, for guided panel views, etc. The profit margin's bigger on digital on full price comics but not really for discounted offerings. They make fucking pennies on those.

>Taking into account overship numbers as if they were actual sales.
>Guiding the entire culture and industry into total destruction
You're right, user, Marvel is doing swell! Anyone who says otherwise is a NAZI!

I remember when Marvel literally did 7 printings for Kamala Ms Marvel #1. Just to fucking do it.
I remember the dozens of times they did second printings of things like All-New Ghost Rider #1 and Original Sin #1.

Marvel does multiple prints all the time. They do it for two reasons:

1) For propaganda purposes of making it seem like they've got a hit on their hands. Outlets like BC and CBR reliably report on these "sold out" hits.

2) Because as other guy said, Marvel actually IS out of 1st print copies. They took every copy of #1 and shipped them whether the stores wanted them or not. I went to two small shops this past weekend, shops that barely order 1-2 shelf copies of ANYTHING, and they both had 30+ shelf copies of Legacy #1. They didn't order them. They ordered like five copies, total, mostly for subscribers who wanted it. Marvel overshipped everything they had and now claim to be "sold out".

It's not just units sold though, it's dollars generated too. And they're definitely trying to crash the industry but everyone seems to be okay with it so whatever. This shitty industry does deserve to die.

Nice try, Sup Forums poster

Here's a general rule, if it's second printing, then chances are it's just sold out at the distributor level but not neccesarily at comic shops. In this particular case, it could be a case of making things look like they "sell out".

If it's on its third printing, then maybe it's also selling out at a lot of comic shops.

Ms. Marvel going into seven printings meant people were out looking for the book and people were paying high prices for the first printing. Doing multiple printings isn't like the overshipping thing because in overshipping's case, it meant they printed a lot but didn't get any orders. To have more than two printings means they see a demand then go back and do some more printings.

Those are good points that I hadn't considered. Thanks, user.

>Overshipping
I get that this is supposed to make it look like things are selling better than they really are, but who is the deception aimed at? Who does Marvel care about fooling? Readers? Comic book stores? People higher up the hierarchy at Marvel?

Overshipping could occur for a variety of reasons. Everything from end-of-year reports to tout how much product they moved to just plain getting rid of excess stock that they overestimated the demand for.

>who is the deception aimed at?
Diamond, Comichron, various “journalism” websites. Basically any platform that can make Marvel look good. That’s why they reached out to MTV, The View, and other bullshit channels to promote their books. They’re desperate to find any new audience that isn’t their traditional audience. Marvel is basically in “fake it until you make it” mode and refuse to change course for any reason.

>end-of-year reports
to whom? Who is important enough to bother fooling but doesn't have more detailed data about sales vs freebies?
>getting rid of excess stock
I guess it's better than just throwing it out since it raises brand awareness on the shelves?

But how could "we shipped a lot of these" translate into finding a new audience? Do people buy something just because they've heard it sells well?

Nothing meaningful is going to change until Ike is no longer the CEO.

>Do people buy something just because they've heard it sells well?

Sure. Remember that there's still a collectors' market even in spite of what happened in the 90's.

Legacy #1 actually drove away a lot more customers, and pretty much only die-hard Wolverine fanboys came back into the fold.

What's Paper Girls?

Who's Kathleen Kennedy?

Producer of the Star Wars movies

Investors, all the overshipping is so they can give those higher numbers to investors