Retailers Become Heated Over MARVEL Variants, Diversity In Closed-Doors NYCC Panel

IT'S HAPPENING

Retailers Become Heated Over MARVEL Variants, Diversity In Closed-Doors NYCC Panel - Newsarama
apple.news/AWrVKw3daMESCJA5IM-xB-Q

Btw guys, has anyone else noticed that the marvel legacy lenticular covers are really shitty compared to the Batman/Flash ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2017/10/05/heated-scenes-marvel-retailer-nycc/
archive.is/CpTvj
newsarama.com/36750-retailers-become-heated-over-marvel-variants-diversity-in-closed-doors-nycc-panel.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Better article.

bleedingcool.com/2017/10/05/heated-scenes-marvel-retailer-nycc/

Honestly, it's enough already. They need to fire Alonzo and Gabriel. This shit can't keep going on.

>bleeding cuck
>better

So hw many characters replaced?

Ironman
Hulk
Thor(male one still around)
Wolverine
Ghost rider

About it. I'm not counting miles, he stands below Peter. Richard Ryder is back. Cap is back and Sam is falcon again.

Comic book nerds are racists and sexists. Wow, how is this news again?

yeah but apparently not all of them were shitty according to my LCS, i'm this guy btw

me and the other regulars only saw the spirits of vengeance one which was very bad. we were literally doing pic related to the LCS owner because he ordered a shitton of regular covers because the variants were gated and he's having a hard time selling

i'm surprised it took rich the rat 2 days after us seeing the covers breaking the news about the bad quality of the covers.

Wolverines back too. If they complained about this months ago yeah but it's already being undone.

There is plenty to criticize Marvel, but stop hitting on the diversity nail. It makes it too easy for them to just dismiss it as "bigoted comments" and come up on top by saying they are better than that.

Marvel is fucking up and you are giving them the perfect cover to continue doing so.

Outside of the bankruptcy years, has their even been a worse time at Marvel, creatively and financially.

I just hope they also change Laura back to something interesting instead of some confident cocksleeve for the author's self inserts.

None of that shit matters. Marvel has no writers left. They scared off or mistreated anyone of talent.

They are left with this pool of shit writers who only know how to write about politics and bs identity stories.

Not surprising. Have you guys seen the digital sales? Absolutely no Legacy in the top 10. No wonder retailers are angry

Hey wouldn't it be hilarious if we took away ad revenue from them by archiving the link? Yeah, it would be.
>archive.is/CpTvj

This is really the best damage control Marvel shills can muster?

It's only Thursday and Marvel's already been irreparably and publicly blown the fuck out at one of the largest comic conventions in the world.

Taste is relative. Marvel had politics since its inception.

You just have to brush off the politics. I used to roll my eyes at Howard the duck politics and enjoy the villians vs the duck.

I wish the end was nigh.

Its not.

Oh amaaaaaazing bait, how sweeeet thou art.

Good writing is not relative. Who does Marvel even have left except Waid?

No, you just have to stop financially supporting Marvel's comic division.

This "comics were always radical leftist hamfisted garbage" is neither an excuse, nor even true.

>except Waid

So they have nobody?

Ant-Man is a gay muslim
Ice Man is now gay and is a 100% different character with a different personality
Wasp has been replaced
Ms. Marvel is a muslim
Carol Danvers is now basically a transgendered FTM
Moon Boy was killed off and replaced with a black girl

I'm sure there are more...

newsarama.com/36750-retailers-become-heated-over-marvel-variants-diversity-in-closed-doors-nycc-panel.html

>I just hope they also change Laura back to something interesting instead of some confident cocksleeve for the author's self inserts.
Problem is, the book is currently selling and Taylor doesn't seem to be going anywhere for the time being.
Also there's a high chance of her just getting ditched with an even worse writer before it gets better again.

*Giant-Man is the gay muslim

Making your little niche communities even more niche by turning people away with vitriolic bigotry is not how you get more comic sales, it's how you lose them.

>Carol Danvers is now basically a transgendered FTM

If you're making an actual list adding memes doesn't help.

saladin ahmed and donny cates are the only ones I can think of who are remotely competent

Marvel always been leftist. Stan Lee attacked racists in his blog. One panel mocks segregation.

What you seeing marvel do is go from classical leftist to progressive leftism. Even then Ironman was replaced by a negro twice.

John Walker was a Christian conserative and threaten as insane. Cap had black and gay friends since the 70s.

Hulk had a gay freind who died of AIDS.

It's the feminism stuff that is new. Even Stan Lee constantly wrote sexist portrayals of women.

>An exchange between direct market retailers and Marvel Comics editors became heated in the closing minutes of Marvel’s Retailer-Only panel at New York Comic Con 2017, starting after a unidentified retailer expressed concern about Marvel’s lenticular variants not selling well in his store.
>Marvel executive editors Tom Brevoort and Nick Lowe fielded the question, thanking the obviously upset retailer for his feedback. However, the retailer cut Lowe short to express his distaste for Marvel’s recent trend of replacing or altering its existing characters.
>The retailer speficially cited examples such as characters that don’t reflect the ethnicity, gender, or sexuality of their predecessors – specifically expressing his distaste for Iceman “kissing other men,” and Thor “becoming a woman.” The retailer’s complaints sparked an outcry among the other retailers present in the room, some echoing his frustration, with multiple attendees raising their voices to speak over each other.

I read the article. It was literally one dude.

>blaming your few remaining customers for all your own fuckups

Yep, definitely a Marvel employee.

>The original speaker called for “creating new characters and not messing with the old guys. The old guys are solid,” while a second said that Marvel has “never replaced its characters like this.”
>Lowe pointed out that the changing nature of the identities of characters was engrained in Marvel’s history, pointing out examples from James Rhodes to Frog Thor. The retailer responded that Marvel has “never replaced them all at once before,” going on to say that he has had Marvel Cinematic Universe fans come into his store to find Avengers comic books only to leave “when they see that Thor is a woman and Captain America is a black man.”
>Lowe reiterated that Marvel is bringing many of its recently-absent characters including Steve Rogers back to the forefront in its “Legacy” initiative, and that Marvel would continue to focus on creating characters and stories that reflect “the world outside your window,” a longtime Marvel adage. He also stated that Marvel will continue to publish characters that fans of all backgrounds can connect to, before closing the panel at the planned time
>This seemed to do little to calm down the increasingly heated retailers, who congregated around Marvel Senior Vice President of Marketing David Gabriel in the hall outside the panel, continuing to vociferously express their frustration and anger over these issues.

We don't want you here nigger. Fuck off back to tumblr. Did perfectly fine without you in the 90s. Suck a dick and shove sand up your hooha.

If they just fired one editor over this shit, just took one scalp, all the rest would fall in line.

This guy has it. Any character can be gay bi black etc etc if they have a good writer. The problem is Marvel is incredibly racist and thinks other races and sexual orientations are freaks in a circus to be touted around. They all need to watch Get Out. They are the chick pretending to be really into black guys.

And I thought their SDCC showing this year was fucking embarrassing. Jesus.

>It's only Thursday and Marvel's already been irreparably and publicly blown the fuck out at one of the largest comic conventions in the world.
And this is in New York. Marvel's fucking back yard.

One dude that caused the rest of the room to splinter into either agreeing or disagreeing with him.

None of these matter. We have two wastes and antman is still Lang. The gay guy replaced giant man gimmick.

Nobody cares abur moon girl. Ms marvel replaced a name no one cares about.

Honestly it comes off as you can't handle few replaced.

Daredevil, dr strange, punisher, Peter wasn't replaced. Most characters are still white males.

Sure just one angry dude. And I suppose Marvel's sales back up this lone wolf theory of yours. Everyone else is totally fine with Marvel's direction.

I guess Iceman isn't the only thing flaming when it comes to Marvel comics these days.

To be fair Marvel has been drawing many females with male bodies.

It is faggot. Some think watchmen is dreck and starman is better.

How is this a meme? They took an attractive, interesting female character, removed her breasts, have slowly been masculinizing her facial features and hair, and have removed any interest she has in dating men. The only thing left is for her to declare herself trans. I have FTM friends that look more feminine than this garbage character does now.

Got to love how Marvel's response is to paint the retailers in as negative a light as possible.

These are literally the people that sell their wares warning them that they are on a crash course.

But of course it gets framed as "you are a bigot if you don't agree with us and we will put more words in your mouth to discredit you."

>Ant-Man is a gay muslim

You talking about Giant-Man. He's hispanic.

>Wasp has been replaced

There are two Wasps actually.

Don't forget that they also turned She Hulk into a discount version of a Deviant art comic.

Valeria is back so Moon Girl will not be pushed so hard anymore.

Liberalism even as recently as 10 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with the SJW insanity of today, that we're seeing smeared across practically all Marvel titles.

I'm not buying the excuse that Marvel always used to be this terrible, and I'm not going to buy Marvel comics until it stops. If you want to throw your money away to feed that dumpster fire, go right ahead, but you're quickly becoming the only one willing to do so.

>One panel mocks segregation.
How curious. Because now it's leftists and liberals who want segregation back.

So the issue is not that Marvel is leftist, it's that leftism itself has gone insane.

They already have so few editors. Ike Pearlmutter fired most of them awhile ago. Then he fired MORE editors. I'm pretty sure there's like a handful left.

Bro answer my question. Name a talented writer left at Marvel except Waid. Or do you not even fucking know any names of writers cause you give a shit more about politics than the actual stories?

This is Marvel's "new reader base."

Also lets not forget the award winning squirrel girl.

>Got to love how Marvel's response is to paint the retailers in as negative a light as possible.

It honestly is bizarre.

Like, as much as I want to say it's calculated or even *might* work out for Marvel in the end, it just seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot. Retailers are the real buyers in the direct market, so antagonizing them (when regular customers are and will still be apathetic to comics) is just...inexplicable.

Marvel/Ike WANTS a crash. They want Marvel Comics to crash the comic book industry (again). They know Disney will bail them out of anything. And when all the other comic book companies crash, Ike/Marvel can push out a few comics and mostly reprints and not worry anymore about the division.

I quit giving Marvel any money when this crap started getting really heavy. Looks like I wasn't alone.

>le HAPPENING meme
Fuck off retard.

Waid isn't talented. Ewing is.

>ewing is [talented]

canonwank isn't talent

Sure seems to make more money than faggot pandering.

They're not getting another penny from me until they issue a formal, written apology for publishing whatever Gabby Riviera shots out.

That comic represents so many different flaws and failings at every level of their comics division that it's inexcusable for it to even exist.

he's a lot more than canonwank, friendo

Nah Ghost Rider is still there, its just a younger vengeful spirit inside someone else. Poor Robbie, getting shafted due to being created in a shit time.

I want Disney to say "Nah fuck you guys, we are closing the comic division."

I'm pretty sure that new giant man is a gay hindu, not a muslim.

T H I S
H
I
S

To be fair it's still Carol no matter who draws her.

Yeah, that'll do Marvel alot of good. Having the moral high ground but no money means...well, not much at the end of the day, does it.

It's still Doreen even if you don't like it.

There's a difference in replacing a character and writing a shitty book about said character.

Carl Manvers

But if they do that they are out of the job, the Mouse doesn’t want you messing with it’s money

Robbie wasn’t even the star of his own book

>Waid
Oh shit, it's over.

Oh cool so a valid point expressed in an awkward way that'll get ignored because "SEE THE FANS ARE JUST BIGOTS" nonsense. Marvel will never be made to truly answer for their creative crimes.

No, not "this", you dumb nigger.

People don't owe Marvel anything.

If they want to do their usual "blame the customer instead of fixing the problem" that they always do, their comics division can have fun going bankrupt.

This isn't politics, this is business. It doesn't matter how many people they call racist sexist shitlords if nobody is buying their product.

Jan is still around.

I think people dont get the subtle but important difference. Marvel comics always had political commentary sprinkled into their stories, some heavier then others since the begenning. What the writers are doing now is pandering and its obvoious. If more people complained about how disingenuously theyre pushing their diversity instead of at diversity itself, the argument wouldnt be as easily shut down.

Ahh, when white males want to read comics about white males they are racists and sexists.

But it's perfectly ok when Marvel target women and poc with their comics by creating main characters with those attributes, that's not racist and sexist.

>Better articleink to bleeding Cuck. Nice try leech.

Further calling everyone bigots or whatnot gives credence to the idea that comic fandom is a safe space for bigots, which attracts... Wait for it... bigots. So im the end we have two groups who don't give a fuck about comics arguing about comics none of them are ever going to buy

They used to care. In the nineties, when the writing was decent.

Instead of crying about the replacements, people should use the fact that they removed almost all of the original minority and female heroes in favor of legacy characters so they can't use the bigoted argument.

The mouse gets it's marvel money from the movies, as long as those are still profitable then the comics can rot.

Howard the Duck was actually good tho.

Well, in that case, fuck marvel. Let them rot

s

Buddy, you been drinkin?

Yes, unless Disney feel that the IP value is lowered by sales going down the pits, they probably don't give a shit, comic book money means nothing to them.

Oh, sorry, just comparing the sales figures from the late nineties to right now. *sips tea*

>Further calling everyone bigots or whatnot gives credence to the idea that comic fandom is a safe space for bigots, which attracts... Wait for it... bigots.

No, it doesn't, because comics are a hobby.

Being "a bigot" is not a hobby, it's just a term that hypocrites love to throw around.

If Marvel comics wants to not only alienate the retailers who are in charge of selling their comics, as well as the people who buy comic books, then those niggers deserve everything tbats happening to them.

The higher-ups at Marvel may want to crash but no way in hell will Disney either let them or let them stay on once they shutter the comic division.

Disney does not play games when it comes to their money. All the editorial and writing staff at Marvel right now think they have great job security when all it will take is one Disney executive saying that's enough.

We're basically at ComicsGate here people. Legitimate criticism is seen as bigotry and attacks. People calling out political editorializing are now labeled as problems.

Raz Malhotra isn't a hispanic name

Also, there are two wasps in name only. The fake wasp is the one that is basically in the costume, while a fucked up version of Janet rarely does anything as the wasp.

Again poor Robbie, he is not a bad character and hell he has flaws and loved ones. I actually love that he does not have a Spirit of Vengeance inside of him and is fighting it from taking him over.

Sure he is, Ewing is a racist prick.
The only reason he's still working at Marvel is because of his former relantionship with Gillen

So your an actual bigot who ruins things for everyone. Try and not do that.

White people rule the world. Get over it.

boy, this is going to be a lot of fun.

Lee Price is white and I'm really fucking mad that they're ditching Mania so that faggot can have her suit.

>We're basically at ComicsGate here people.

*MarvelGate.

Other comic companies may have their individuals problems, but Marvel is leagues worse worse when it comes to this stuff.

I'm pretty sure Dark Horse doesn't habitually blame their fans if one of their comics doesn't sell well.

And you appear to be a simpleton that can't make a real argument, so you just name-call instead.

I'm fine with being a bigot. I'm enjoying ruining your sales figures.

If you want to find "bigots who ruin things for everyone", maybe you should start looking at Marvel employees.