IDW Sonic News

Welp, we got some news on the Sonic IDW comic. It'll be arriving around Spring 2018 and Tyson Hesse is involved. What are your thoughts and hopes Sup Forums? Do you think it'll much more fun to read than Archie Sonic? Will Ken try and sue if they give Knuckles a hat?

twitter.com/AbelMunizJr/status/916016241470464000

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DNteN_qlHp0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I never read the old stuff but I'll probably give it a shot. It has to be good for at least the first few issues, right?

Glad to hear Tyson will continue on art.

Shame we'll never get a conclusion to Megadrive, but at least we have consolation.

Never cared about Sonic. The only purpose that comic has is provide Females for fap bait. That's it.

Sounds neat

>Tyson Hesse involved

Hopeful. I don't think IDW is gonna stray too far from the games though; Sega's gonna keep a Sonic comic on a tight leash now after the Pendering.

If its good that is

>new characters confirmed

get fucked gamesonlyfags

any word if they are gonna keep the original numbering going, like OG GI Joe comics did?

Huh. Well I expected IDW to require the rights to make OCs. Otherwise why even hire them? All their licensed stuff relies very heavily on donut steels.

It likely means IDW gets to make up their own characters as needed, but all charactes from past comics and cartoons are not showing up.

>Tyson Hesse

Already confirmed 10/10

So long as Ian isn't writing, I will give it a shot. If Ian IS writing, then I won't bother. If you're going to have a fresh start, then go with a fresh writer to introduce fresh ideas. I have absolutely no interest in "just the Archie comic but with a new label".

>new
So, Sticks will be there.

>Tyson Hesse
Has this guy been racking on Sonic pussy all of 2017?
>Made art for the Classic Sonic comics.
>Got to animate the Sonic Mania intro.
>Now making art for main Sonic comics

Hoping the Freedom Fighters don't make the jump over, or at least don't get to be main characters like they were in Archie Sonic. I was pretty sick of them and the book in general towards the end.

I wouldn't worry about it.

When Sonic the Comic was cancelled in the UK and Fleetway lost the license, that book's original characters were all retired. They weren't folded into the Archie comic or appear in anything else. That licensee was done and so were all of its original ideas.

Archie's gone and so are the Freedom Fighters.

I dunno. There's a large amount of demand from the existing comic fanbase to see them again. I could see SEGA giving into the feedback and let them in again.

SEGA had been trying to get rid of the Freedom Fighters according to Ian. I think at this point, they're done for good and are never coming back.

The Archie comic was ok but it felt a little soulless to me after the Pendering. The Fighters arc was good but nothing else really grabbed my attention. What I really want is more Mega Drive comics.

Oh and Diana Skelly > Tyson Hesse

SEGA wanted them gone at the reboot, but still gave in at the end of the day. It's possible they could do the same now.

>tfw no Mega Drive TPB

I love em both but your wrong

Only because Ian had to fight and remind them of the contract saying the FF had to be in.

>but it felt a little soulless to me after the Pendering.
I kinda got that feeling too. Perhaps it would've gotten better with more time, though.

Pretty sure the conversations between Archie and SEGA over them had little to do with Ian and more to do with editors and higherups. Also, SEGA has control over the book, user. If they wanted them out, they could've pulled them out at any time during Archie's run. Ian has said as much.

>but it felt a little soulless to me after the Pendering
No shit, Flynn had to remove a good 50% of the setting he had just so laboriously set up after they sacked Penders for good. So much of his worldbuilding was just gone, with no chance of any recovery. And he had to quickly assemble something to replace it, which made the story feel very wooden and desolate compared to before.

Dare to dream, Chris Chan.

>The Archie comic was ok but it felt a little soulless

Sonic in general is soul-less. Sonic was created by committee. His purpose is to be cool depending on the era so he can cash out. That's how you get stuff like Classic Sonic to milk the current nostalgia faggots or the Story Book games or Saturday Morning Style Sonic Games with the unfunny puns and shit like that after the Edgy Era from the Adventures and 06 stopped being popular. Sonic is trash with no identity.

>No shit, Flynn had to remove a good 50% of the setting he had just so laboriously set up after they sacked Penders for good.

Oh no. The comic was so much poorer without access to such nuanced characters as Evil Sonic, Monkey Khan, Geoffrey St. John, Girl Knuckles, Old Knuckles, Cyborg Knuckles and Old Girl Cyborg Knuckles.

The book was simply never able to recover without them.

>Sonic was created by committee.
Close, but no cig, you're referring to the post-creation Westernization when bringing him over from Japan.

Outside of being a fast platformer to compete with the rest, particularly Mario, there were no larger planned intentions for Sonic.

The first game has themes of environmentalism, freeing the animals and anti-industry, tree hugger hippie shit that wasn't very cool in the 90s at a time people were very keen to embrace the advances technology could bring whatever the cost. And also a little hypocritical from a corporation like SEGA, but hey.

SEGA of JP later took the aggressive business ideas SEGA of America whipped up and ran with it where it worked elsewhere, but in Japan he's just a cartoon character.

>Sonic was created by committee

I didn't realize Yuji Naka was a committee

Yuji Naka didn't do shit. Naoto Oshima designed his appearance and Hirokazu Yasuhara made the game fun.

>Evil Sonic
Man fuk u. Scourge was great.

Worthy of note is that SoJ held an internal open solicitation for an idea for their new platformer, and Sonic was the winning submission. The character that was eventually developed into Dr Eggman was another of the submission, and IIRC one of the others was made into the protag for another Sega game.

Wasn't Mighty one of them?

who frankly gives a shit about ken penders anymore?

Truly an inspiration.

>Babby's First Palette Swap Villain

Literally DA-tier

Possibly. I know there's a character that people think got turned into Ristar in that list of characters too.

Still waiting for someone to Story Time all the Archie Comics

Shouldn't happen until after Forces.

They'll have him on for a few months consecutively at most.

It actually doesn't say that.
It can be interpreted to mean new game characters.
The phrasing itself actually lends credence to the idea that it'll be gamesonly.

I can wait another month I guess. Only Sonic comics I've read were the Mega Man crossover issues. Felt like I was missing a lot of stories

Penders is already suing IDW over reprints of the Star Trek comics he wrote back in the 90s.

You better believe he's going to use anything Sonic they do as an opportunity to reinforce his existing suit. This comic is fucked right out the gate.

The difference is that the Freedom Fighters did not originate from that book and England's legalities on all this shit is very different from the US's.

I have no clue if anyone is actually planning to do it, but it shouldn't happen until after the game drops, since I would assume people are gonna want to play it rather than read the storytime.

>Penders is already suing IDW over reprints
Does this guy plan to get through retirement by living in court?

>getting me hyped for nothing

Wait till about 150. You'll get the tail-end of the Penders Dark Age, and get to see the comic get pulled out of a pile of shit.

His wife can afford to foot his legal fees, and if he wins anything he can try to get some money out of it. It's the only way he can make money now since no one wants to hire him after what he did.

Really though, what was the last new game character of significance to debut? Sticks and the heavies?

Sega spent their "Good idea wish" on him for the year.

>Has a wife with a lot of money to pay for your bullshit.
He shouldn't be allowed to be that lucky.

He hasn't started a suit yet, he just made a rumble about it.

Infinite, in like a month from now.

All Penders ever talks about on Twitter is how he deserves royalties from such-and-such reprint, or how Sega is a fool for thinking they could ever make a successful Sonic movie without his characters and concepts.

Meanwhile, why isn't his stupid Lara-Su book out yet? How long does it take to draw one fucking comic?

(as a bonus, watch Pender's movie pitch and think about how laughable it is that he acts like he knows SHIT about how to make a good Sonic movie youtube.com/watch?v=DNteN_qlHp0

The reality is that Penders is a bad penny and he is going to turn up wherever Sonic goes for... however longer Penders lives.

If Dark Horse had gotten the license, he'd be suing them. If Boom had gotten it, he'd be suing them. He's going to continue to go over every new game that comes out with a microscope, looking for any tenuous similarity with something he wrote or drew. He's going to do the same thing with any new comic and any new cartoon.

Every creator on every piece of Sonic media is going to have to think twice before they do anything and make sure their ideas are Penders Proofed beforehand. And that's just the way it's going to be from now on.

So you guys think that IDW will at least re-publish archie stuff? at least like their hardcover collections?

>Meanwhile, why isn't his stupid Lara-Su book out yet? How long does it take to draw one fucking comic?

He was hoping to live the rest of his life off Archie reprint royalties.

Having to actually CREATE things is like HARD, man.

Honestly, considering the pillars of autism that are Sonic fans, I'm surprised no one has tried to track Penders down and assault him, yet.

Chris Chan started attacking people at Game Stop all because Sonic's arms were blue. Sonic autists aren't above resorting to violence of trivial bullshit. Why can't they aim some of it at him?

Because he's been talking shit since it got announced that IDW was doing Sonic

I like how that entire movie pitch is just pointless setup that any competent director would cut from a film immediately. The important part it Sonic getting shot off the hoverboard. We don't need him wandering the house finding the hoverboard, or the bizarre narration about how this is all taking place on another planet Earth was monitoring

>So you guys think that IDW will at least re-publish archie stuff? at least like their hardcover collections?

Dude, the reprints are the MAIN REASON all the lawsuits happened at Archie. Both Penders and Fulop sued because they wanted royalties for each reprint and their original contracts with Archie were lost in a fire.

Reprints are the biggest legal minefield when it comes to the Archie stuff. No one is going to ever touch that shit again, at least in terms of reprinting the pre-Reboot/Pendering era.

user, Chris Chan is an extreme case and you know it. Don't use him as an example

Why can't he just fuck off.

well, I meant post reboot, since I didn't get to finish off the trades.

Granted I guess no one would want the "collection" without from issue 1

>Why can't he just fuck off.

See There are lots of people out there who hold litigious grudges and will continue to sue, one claim after another, for the remainder of their lives. So long as they can afford to do it, they'll do it, regardless of whether there's any potential profits involved. They do it out of petty spite to inconvenience the people or company they don't like.

Kevin Eastman did an interview with the Comics Journal back in the 90s and he talked about this. He and Peter Laird, after creating the TMNT, ended up on the radar of several people who did this. They devoted their lives to suing Eastman and Laird over and over and over again and it was basically a shadow cast across everything they ever did creatively for decades.

Penders is going to be one of those guys.

This fuckhead will never be satisfied until he’s the only man left in comics publishing. And even then, he'll never release that fucking Lara-Sue shit he’s been hyping for years now.

The problem with starting a reprint collection at the reboot is that the opening arc of the reboot era is not just terrible in terms of story, but terrible as a jumping on point.

The characters spend the first 6 or more issues regaining their memories of the old universe, which makes it a very confusing starting point for anyone trying to get into the reboot era (especially since the pre-reboot stuff can't be reprinted due to legal issues).

Then as soon as they regain their memories after a half-dozen issues, those memories are erased and it was all pointless. It's a very, very bad place to try and start people at. The rebooted fucked up right out the gate.

But then even when you get past that awful opening arc, the reboot kept getting mired in those Mega Man crossovers. And you can't reprint those because that would require additional licensing, fees and permission from Capcom and that would cost a fortune for a simple reprint.

The reboot era just isn't worth it to try and put out new collected editions.

>he is going to turn up wherever Sonic goes for... however longer Penders lives.
So what you're saying is...we gotta kill Penders?

If you want to see another female echidna again, then yes.

you sond like it will be wrong something bad would happen to that guy...

>If you want to see another female echidna again, then yes

After all the echidna sperging that shat up the Archie comic for decades, I honestly never want to see another echidna character in any Sonic game, comic or cartoon ever again.

Is Tikal an exception?

Literally said old and new

By old they could just mean characters like Tails

On a scale from TMNT to Transformers how SJW will IDW go with this?

What IDW does is they keep their politics out of the book for a few good years and focus on telling good stories that draw people in. Then, after all that foundation is built, they flip a switch

>"Well, no more telling good stories. Time to drown the book in SJW politics and LGBTQ propaganda."

And then it's a rapid decline in sales from there.

Sega doesn't care what they want. They're not permitted to down that route.

Citation needed. Let me guess, your dad works at Sega, right?

>Tyson Hesse will be involved
Off to a good start, it means they're willing to bring in people from Archie who did good things for the property there.

Next name I wanna hear is Potto.

lol tails isn't old he's only 8 years old you stupid faggot LOL

Ian tried to keep real world issues out of the book for the most part. He sees Sonic as escapism literature. So if he's the head guy, then you won't need to really worry much.

user, if you think Sega isn't gonna be up their ass about what they can and can't do, especially after Penders, you're nuts

I read somewhere that they don't want the Sonic series to dive into politics or virtue signalling. Which is surprisingly one of the few wise things they've done.

>mfw nowadays Iizuka is the "veteran Sonic 3 & Knuckles designer" who gets credit for Hirokazu Yasuhara's work.
>mfw the only really good Sonic games released in the past decade had jackshit to do with Iizuka and were directed by guys like Hashimoto and Miyamoto.
>mfw he's still, some-fucking-how, the face of the team despite not having any major involvement in a good Sonic game in two decades.

>So if he's the head guy
He isn't.

So you have no source.

I bet you're that same fag from the other Sonic thread who makes up extensive headcanons about what Sega does and does not think.

Here's an idea. Start providing sources for the shit you say so we can all sit down and look over what Sega has said about it. Or admit that you're making shit up because it's what you want.

>B-but surely this must be the case because with Archie...

They never even officially released any of their mandates against Archie. We literally only know they existed because Flynn alluded to them in various FAQs. So I'd love to see who gave you the insight into all this private material, especially since some of it is involved with lawsuits.

I doubt a single person at SEGA has ever used the phrase "virtual signalling" in relation to Sonic

We don't know that

There is no reason for him to.

I was hoping that he was going to be involved in some way so this makes me happy. But we're not out of the woods yet.

The lead writer at Archie wasn't allowed to touch the gays. He's said as much.

>TFW probably no hardcover of Mega Drive with a bunch of extras and sketches.

sounds 2 good 2 be true in the age we are living...

>Tyson back

Well, I'm sold.

Wasn't there a very short-lived attempt to make Rotor gay?

Yes, by Penders.

No, Ken Penders just said that Rotor was gay and there were """signs""" after he left. Like two or three years after he left.

His signs were things like Eggman calling Rotor "darling" and him being good friends with an old guy.

He's talking about the Sonic movie now.