How would a cartoon series based on universal monsters work...

How would a cartoon series based on universal monsters work? Would it be on [as] for its seriousness and horror elements, or would it be more of a kids show?

Could work either way.
You could make a comedy show about all the monsters living in the same house (it could be for kids or raunchy adult humor).
Or you could try and make an action show for kids with the universal monsters as some Avengers/Justice League-esque team.

Or you could go for a serious animated show about all the universal monsters. Though the only way for that to survive would probably be Netflix.

If it were on [as] it'd have to be a comedy. It would work best as a dark comedy, like Frankenhole. But, since they also had a movie monster motif, it'd have differentiate from it somehow.

If it were a kids show the same should be true, but of course toned down.

Incidentally, Universal is going to lose their license for Frankenstein in about ten years. So, if they want a cartoon, they're going to have to act soon.

>Incidentally, Universal is going to lose their license for Frankenstein in about ten years.

What do you mean? As in their film version?

I thought they only licensced the bolts on his neck. They couldnt have licsenced that general apperance because everyone uses it. Are you referring to the movies?

Well, there is the dark universe. And even hough bride of frankenstein may not happen i really doubt theyll abandon the whole idea after all they put into it. I really want to see that johnny depp invisible man movie too.

>As in their film version?
>Are you referring to the movies?

I think so. I heard about it from one of those local horror movie hosts talk about it when running the movie.

They can handle frankenstein i think, as basically anyone has the right to use his general apperance. What will really suck is when they loose the copyright to the brides apperance, as thats so iconic that only universal can use that right now.

Arent monsters like Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy public domain?

They are, but the movies are owned by universal. That, and the apperance(which for most of them is so generic it doesnt much matter) is owned by universal to sell that mad merch money

Thinking about it I recall that the host was speaking of the look. So, the trademark look of Frankenstein's creation.

Shit, then literally anybody can use the flat head and bolts. Sucks to be them i guess.

I'd base it entirely on the Monster Bash pinball table

Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School spinoff series.

But everyone is already using the flat head and bolts.

Well i know for one thing they can get sued for using the bolts

Fuck off waifufag. Literally only good thing about that was the pun title.

I'd base it on this.

Go for a vibe like a 70s horror comic. No violence worse than PG. The kinda thing that's not gonna traumatize a kid, but will make them feel cool for watching it.

pfft

Make it TTG but spooky

What's that child killer so smug about?

Both can work, depends on the approach.

Anybody remember Groovie Ghoulies?

He didnt mean to kill her, user

t. Village Peasant

Harem comedy with Karloff's Imhotep and Bela's Dracula as the "Betty and Veronica" to some red-haired female OC, who happens to be the living reincarnation of BOTH of their mortal wives in different points in history. It begins as a slice-of-(after?)life the first few episodes, with the two monsters rivaling for her affection (since she wouldn't actually remember either of them from her past lives unless she was either turned into a living mummy or a vampire bride, which gives her a little incentive to drag her feet with this romantic decision) but then the show branches out with other monsters who'll either join the harem as less likely end games, or become reoccurring side-characters/antagonists.

Some other miscellaneous ideas I've got for this;
>Larry Talbot's introduced as the least-lethal candidate in the harem - and therefore gets a HUGE advantage over the other monsters... Until of course that whole "full moon" gets in the way, and he's outed as a lycanthrope who couldn't be with her unless she shares the burden of his curse with him, so at least she'd have a safety net if he does shred her to ribbons as a werewolf
>Frankenstein's Monster starts out as an inarticulate beast that the protag initially shows some compassion for after he's persecuted by the town's angry mob, but in later appearances begins learning speech, and bitterly demands his creator to butcher her into a suitable Monster Bride. Some OTHER red head character will end up dying in her place by accident, possibly an oversight on the Dwight Frye-assistant's part, and will gets revived as the Bride of Frankenstein

>Gill-Man shows up in the "beach episode" taking place in the Black Lagoon, and may possibly reoccur as a more sympathetic sideshow attraction a la "Revenge of the Creature"
>The "Invisible Man" character is an ex-boyfriend of the protag's who turned themselves invisible, and became hopelessly insane with megalomaniacal delusions of grandeur as a side-effect from the serum. He won't formally be added to the harem, but would still be more of a Newman-tier antagonist to the other monsters, while still remaining friendly with the protag
>The Phantom of the Opera's a reoccurring antagonist, that's always updating his appearance and musical styling to match his various incarnations from (Lon Chaney to Gerard Butler) to impress the protag, who's always at least mildly into it but still extremely pissed that she's getting kidnapped by this ugly french lunatic constantly

I never thought id say this, but DONT SEXUALIZE BORIS KARLOFF

Well, yeah, that's ridiculous. You can't have a Karloff as a sexualized Frankenstein Monster if he's ALSO The Mummy.

I guess Junior would just have to be an amalgamation of the book's "Adam" and Glenn Strange. He was okay in the Abbott and Costello crossover, at least.

Abbott and costello were never funny

wrong

>who happens to be the living reincarnation of BOTH of their mortal wives in different points in history.
I love this idea and now I hope they use it somehow in the Universal franchise.

All I know is that they've delayed pre-production of "Bride of Frankenstein" and the hot rumor is that the whole Dark Universe concept is dead in the proverbial water.

Alright user, explain to me how they were funny and didnt make a mockery out of universal monsters?

I really hope not, they had so mamy great ideas left to be explored. That, and i wanted to see another era of monster rally films, with frankenstein fighting the wolfman and what not.

If you make the cast young, attractive, and and various flavors of ambiguously foreign this would probably do pretty well.

All I wanted was a Creature movie done by James Cameron with state-of-the-art underwater cameras and shit to really rival the water cinematics from the original. There's no way that'll happen with him doing fifty Avatar movies, though.

>and the hot rumor is that the whole Dark Universe concept is dead in the proverbial water.
Yeah, people have been saying that since Dracula: Untold, which I guess isn't even going to be in that canon anymore. It's a shame, too, since the Universal Monsters basically invented the whole "cinematic universe" gimmick that's all the rage these days, yet can't seem to cash in on it themselves without looking like they're just copying Disney's MCU.

They really should just stick to doing movies like "Van Helsing" with multiple monsters crossing over in a self-contained flick, they've been pretty clumsy with handling the build-up those potential crossovers so far.

>Dracula: Untold
Yeah, at some point they chose to ignore that movie and begin their Dark Universe with "The Mummy".

And I feel like they should have set up the characters in their own separate movies before reeling everything into a cinematic universe. That is, they shouldn't spend a portion of the film setting up the universe's connections to future movies.