September 2017 Comic Book Sales Report - Top 10's

TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS
> 1. MARVEL LEGACY #1 (MAR)
> 2. DARK NIGHTS: METAL #2 (DC)
> 3. VENOMVERSE #1 (MAR)
> 4. BATMAN #30 (DC)
> 5. BATMAN #31 (DC)
> 6. HARLEY QUINN 25TH-ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1 (DC)
> 7. THE WALKING DEAD #171 (MR) (IMA)
> 8. BATMAN: THE RED DEATH #1 (DC)
> 9. BATMAN: THE MURDER MACHINE #1 (DC)
> 10. ACTION COMICS #987 LENTICULAR EDITION (DC)

TOP 10 GRAPHIC NOVELS & TRADE PAPERBACKS
> 1. THE WALKING DEAD VOLUME 28 TP (MR) (IMA)
> 2. BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT III: MASTER RACE HC (DC)
> 3. STAR WARS: DARTH MAUL TP (MAR)
> 4. EAST OF WEST VOLUME 7 TP (MR) (IMA)
> 5. DC SUPER HERO GIRLS VOL. 4: PAST TIMES AT SUPER HERO HIGH TP (DC)
> 6. SEX CRIMINALS VOLUME 4: FOURGY TP (MR) (IMA)
> 7. ALL-STAR BATMAN VOL. 1: MY OWN WORST ENEMY TP (DC)
> 8. ROYAL CITY VOL. 1: NEXT OF KIN TP (IMA)
> 9. HARLEY QUINN VOL. 3: RED MEAT TP (DC)
> 10. WOLVERINE: OLD MAN LOGAN VOL. 5: PAST LIVES TP (MAR)

>Among the premier publishers, Star Wars Adventures #1 was IDW Publishing's top book at #33, while Neil Gaiman's American Gods: Shadows #7 was Dark Horse Comics' top-ranked book at #115.

TOP COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS
>>RETAIL MARKET SHARE
> 1. MARVEL COMICS (37.97%)
> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (30.21%)
> 3. IMAGE COMICS (9.55%)
> 4. IDW PUBLISHING (4.30%)
> 5. DARK HORSE COMICS (2.44%)
> 6. BOOM! STUDIOS (1.99%)
> 7. DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT (1.94%)
> 8. VIZ MEDIA (1.40%)
> 9. TITAN COMICS (1.16%)
> 10. ONI PRESS (1.10%)
> OTHER NON-TOP 20 (7.94%)

>>UNIT MARKET SHARE
> 1. MARVEL COMICS (38.13%)
> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (36.68%)
> 3. IMAGE COMICS (8.81%)
> 4. IDW PUBLISHING (3.67%)
> 5. DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT (1.91%)
> 6. BOOM! STUDIOS (1.77%)
> 7. DARK HORSE COMICS (1.70%)
> 8. VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT LLC (0.93%)
> 9. TITAN COMICS (0.85%)
> 10. AFTERSHOCK COMICS (0.75%)
> OTHER NON-TOP 10 (4.80%)

Sauce: diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/3/597?articleID=102212

Other urls found in this thread:

mcuexchange.com/abc-cancel-agents-shield-disney/
businessinsider.com/most-popular-tv-shows-2016-12/#4-hbos-westworld-with-35-million-demand-expressions-per-day-just-what-the-network-needs-as-game-of-thrones-approaches-its-end-note-that-this-average-might-be-inflated-since-the-show-has-only-been-around-for-a-few-months-4
twitter.com/AmyZiegfeld/status/915981323226955776
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

DC literally flooded the market with events and Batman #1s and still got BTFO

Will DC ever win?

>> 10. ACTION COMICS #987 LENTICULAR EDITION (DC)
What was this? Oz revelation?

Does the list reflect top sales or shipped to retailers?

>1. MARVEL LEGACY #1 (MAR)

RETAIL MARKET SHARE
> 1. MARVEL COMICS (37.97%)
> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (30.21%)

UNIT MARKET SHARE
> 1. MARVEL COMICS (38.13%)
> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (36.68%)

Jeez DC just give up this is almost as embarrassing as how bad we beat you at movies, TV shows, cartoons, video games, music, toys, and everything else under the sun

>it's "another comic book sales are down again" episode but with a twist this time: only units were up if only by a little from last August

Yes

Shipped to retailers

Shipped.

I know that because a week before Legacy was available to customers, Marvel was already congratulating themselves for the 350,000 issues sold.

SJW Marvel strikes again!

>RETAIL MARKET SHARE
>> 1. MARVEL COMICS (37.97%)
>> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (30.21%)
>UNIT MARKET SHARE
>> 1. MARVEL COMICS (38.13%)
>> 2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (36.68%)

I literally find this very difficult to believe / understand, given the state of Marvel Comics. So there IS a market for them?

>we
You almost had me. 6/10

They publish more books and their books are 33% more expensive than DC's.

As long as people are willing to pay 5 books on Venomverse, Marvel will dominate the market share.

>movies
>TV shows, cartoons, video games, music, toys, and everything else under the sun

>> 1. THE WALKING DEAD VOLUME 28 TP (MR) (IMA)
>> 4. EAST OF WEST VOLUME 7 TP (MR) (IMA)
>> 6. SEX CRIMINALS VOLUME 4: FOURGY TP (MR) (IMA)
>> 8. ROYAL CITY VOL. 1: NEXT OF KIN TP (IMA)

Every time

rich bastards.

>1. Event
>2. Event
>3. Event
>6. Special #1 1-shot
>8. Event
>9. Event
>10. Variant cover

Gee, and people wonder why they keep doing this shit
>8. #1
>9. #1

>They publish more books and their books are 33% more expensive than DC's.

> 2. DARK NIGHTS: METAL #2 (DC) $3.99
> 6. HARLEY QUINN 25TH-ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1 (DC) $4.99
>8. BATMAN: THE RED DEATH #1 (DC) $3.99
> 9. BATMAN: THE MURDER MACHINE #1 (DC) $3.99
> 10. ACTION COMICS #987 LENTICULAR EDITION (DC) $3.99

How many DC books are still $2.99?

All of them.

Liefeld looks like a fucking child there. Crazy that he's only 3 years younger than Jim Lee.

Hard to believe DC weren't #1 last month with all the Batman #1's

Maybe if you have your DKEK Special Internet Defense Force membership card they all are

Name ONE successful DC show not on CW

Name ONE DC cartoon other than TTG

Name ONE other DC video game coming out this year

Untrue. Monthlies are 3.99.

DC hasn't been number one ANY MONTH

Why would they start now

Anyone posting 3 year old information is a fucking retard. Anyone doing it to defend sales of a company is a shill or just sadly, painfully pathetic.

Name ONE successful Marvel show not on Netflix (even on Netflix they are all still behind fucking "Arrow")

Name ONE current Marvel cartoon that isn't trash.

Name ONE well-received Marvel game that came this year (you know you can't)

It’s Marvel’s dirty, underhanded business tactics as usual.
>overship product so that retailers are forced to buy more than they can sell
>no returns allowed on surplus product. Retailers are stuck with stacks of unsellable books.
>charge twice as much as your main competitor for a lesser product, often having less pages of actual reading material
>fire a majority of Marvel staff members, mostly editors, and have the remainder pick up the slack despite exhaustion
>focus on quantity of books produced rather than any sort of quality. Who cares? Idiots will buy it anyway
>idiots buy it anyway

>Video games
Kek good one

No one reads the monthly DC series

Marvel vs Capcom

>They publish more books and their books are 33% more expensive than DC's
Can't speak for September, but in August Marvel had 29 books in the top 50, DC had 19. 54 in the top 100 vs 42 for DC.

They may publish more books, but they also dominate the top of the charts.

>Name ONE successful DC show not on CW
Pretty sure Gotham is successful.

Have you seen the ratings? It would take a miracle to get another season

>They may publish more books, but they also dominate the top of the charts.
Maybe that’s because they publish more books.

>that top ten

Why are comic book readers professional trash eaters? Every comic on there sucks dick

Good to know that Venomfags are even more whipped than xfags

I pull two copies of Super Sons, Aquaman and Future Quest Presents. Please, though, continue speaking directly from the stinky bowels of your gut.

>Name ONE successful Marvel show not on Netflix (even on Netflix they are all still behind fucking "Arrow")
Agents of SHIELD

>Name ONE current Marvel cartoon that isn't trash.
most of them just because you have shit taste doesn't mean they're trash

>Name ONE well-received Marvel game that came this year (you know you can't)
We still have Spiderman and Lego marvel super heroes 2 coming out

>I only read Zines and newsprint drawings from my art college roommates
Look at this scholar of taste right here.

Meanwhile Disney is FORCING ABC to keep producing Marvel's shows, since the series get no audience.

>Agents of Kek
It’s turned into a spinoff of Inhumans

The most recent season of Gotham had more average viewers than the most recent Agents of Shield.

More books doesn't automatically mean more success. Their books, on average, are doing better.

And yet Agents of Shield got a fifth season something Gotham won't

Oh, ok. This makes sense in a vomit-in-my-mouth kind of way.

You don't need to be an indiefag to think that list is trash, bro. There are way better capecomics on the market that have shit sales compared to this mediocrity

he still looks like a child cause he is a child. His early autism onset prevented him from aging past 15

>Agents of MEDIOCRE
Not an answer.

>most of them
NOT an answer.

>We still have Spiderman and Lego marvel super heroes 2 coming out
Notice how this isn’t an answer either. Learn to read questions.

>Agents of SHIELD
Fewer viewers than Gotham, barely more viewers than Flash.

Legacy was pure trash, Batman (in particular Kingbats) is boring and basic as fuck, Harley Quinn is a meme without substance and The Walking Dead is overdone and has overstayed its welcome for the longest time now. There are much better comics out there, both cape and indie, but the average comic reader is a stupid manchild who sucks Batman and Spiderman's dicks every day so they wouldn't know that.

>Agents of SHIELD
>Successful

mcuexchange.com/abc-cancel-agents-shield-disney/

>sales figure threads are always filled with Sup Forumsirgins

Must be hard to pretend you're a fan in actual comic threads.

Arrow got a sixth season. What's your point?

If you throw enough shit on the wall, enough of it is bound to stick. “Doing better” is meaningless when most of Marvel’s books are selling indie numbers.

>Name ONE successful Marvel show not on Netflix (even on Netflix they are all still behind fucking "Arrow")
>behind Arrow
kek, AoS, Legion and The Gifted are so far past Arrow in every regard
>Name ONE current Marvel cartoon that isn't trash.
....the new Spider-Man isn't too bad...not trash at least

(different user)

To be fair, Agents of SHIELD is at least an answer, even if you disagree with it.

>> 1. MARVEL LEGACY #1 (MAR)
Sup Forums on suicide watch

Arrow's on the CW they're used to having shot ratings

Agentsof Shield is on ABC aka one of the big 3 networks

Everyone knew this was coming because this only shows how much Marvel shipped not how much they sold. They were bragging about 335k shipped but did they sell out like DC Rebirth did? That's more uncertain.

>kek, AoS, Legion and The Gifted are so far past Arrow in every regard
Except in success.

businessinsider.com/most-popular-tv-shows-2016-12/#4-hbos-westworld-with-35-million-demand-expressions-per-day-just-what-the-network-needs-as-game-of-thrones-approaches-its-end-note-that-this-average-might-be-inflated-since-the-show-has-only-been-around-for-a-few-months-4

No, it means that's what stores are ordering/what Marvel is shipping to stores. Marvel does all kinds of scammy shit to make sure their books get into stores (shipping cancelled orders, shipping books if you order other books, etc.) and thus have their stuff show up nicely on the rankings and so they can crow about having to go into second printings.

Point of sale, most of those just shit on shelves collecting dust in the shops and taking up space. Retailers have been pretty universal in saying that there's mediocre interest in Legacy at their stores.

And ABC wanted to cancel it, but was forced by Disney to keep it going.

They also had Agent Carter cancelled after 2 seasons, and Inhumans is off to a shit start.

Okey, but seriously, can anyone tell me why someone would feel compelled to buy Legacy? I used to be a huge marvelfag before the cancelled every book I liked, but there was literally nothing compelling in that comic (which I did not buy and only read because people said it was so awful).

>most are selling indie numbers
Most are doing just as well, if not better, than DC. What are you talking about?

>charge twice as much as your main competitor for a lesser product, often having less pages of actual reading material
Remember when Marvel used that as an excuse for why DC was abusing the retailers and got promptly told to fuck off?

People say this in every thread, but comic shops wouldn't stay open by continually buying shit that doesn't sell.

>I literally find this very difficult to believe / understand, given the state of Marvel Comics.
Not that hard to believe. This month had Legacy, Venomverse and lots of Generations issues. That's a lot of expensive issues while DC has largely maintained $2.99 for basic issues and $3.99 for monthlies and even specials. So that accounts for the retail gap.

If you want to talk about falling Marvel sales, look at the unit gap. Last month Marvel came in at 39.5% and DC at 30%. Now they're neck and neck. That's crazy considering the above books from Marvel and even crazier if Marvel's 350k figure is true, because that's an EXTREME figure. If Marvel shipped that much Legacy and DC is neck and neck with them, then there's some combination of massive Marvel sales drop and massive DC sales increase.

>Name ONE successful DC show not on CW

Lucifer, Gotham and that should be added to this year but it's not fair to say since there is no way of knowing if they will be successful. The Adam West Batman and Linda Carter are still very popular in syndication and the only Marvel based show that even comes close (and not really) is the Bixby Hulk. WB Animation collects plenty of money from streams of things like Young Justice and the JL/JLU episodes from Netflix and Amazon Prime, and WB Television still continues to make money from, for example, Smallville via Hulu and Amazon Prime. That's not say that Disney XD isn't transferring money to Marvel or that Marvel isn't collecting a decent licensing fee from Netflix for their line up there, but the only reason AoS is saying on ABC this year is that Disney refused to let the network cancel it which is what they network wanted to do. And do you really want to talk in defense of Inhumans?

And Disney forced them to keep airing the show.

To be fair, I thought everyone expected it to be on the number one spot.

>The Adam West Batman and Linda Carter are still very popular in syndication and the only Marvel based show that even comes close (and not really) is the Bixby Hulk
>bringing up 40 year old shows to talk about the current state of these companies
fucking kek

You're one to talk seeing as you couldn't even answer the original questions

That's why they are closing.

Of course Marvel has more books in the Top 100, they have more books than DC, this is to be expected.

Marvel also has way more books selling under 20k.

I vaguely remember this. Please remind me.

>Generations
Those books came out? I remember the Hulk, Wolverine, and Phoenix issues, but that's all.

they didn't know they could pirate it and read it before buying it. These kind of books are traps cause readers think they need to buy it in order to know what's going on

I honestly can't believe people buy Harley Quinn comics, they're pretty bad.
Aquaman is monthly now? Since when?

but they also have more books performing below 30-20K don't they?

Its DC’s Deadpool

issue 26 they went monthly

>350k figure is true

It's not a measure of sales. Not at all.

And retainability isn't an actual issue because Marvel literally shipped multiple numbers of those 350K to Diamond retailers that don't have to pay for them, or literally pay for most of them, beyond what they order.

It's true that some of those LCSs, to be fair, might sell some of that over shipment, but it's not like they are going to turn around and send that money to Diamond or Marvel. There is no reason for them to do so, since they didn't order nor have ANY legal requirement to pay for them. They could toss them in the dumpster next month and not suffer any financial loss, except if their sanitation company wants to charge them for hauling away more garbage than usual.

Marvel Legacy Week One BTFO On Day One comiXology Sales

Source: twitter.com/AmyZiegfeld/status/915981323226955776

>Aquaman is monthly now? Since when?
Last July

Prove it.

>Marvel has more books on the market!
It's not just about having more books on the market, it's about literally requiring LCS to over-order books in order to participate in advertised promotions like variant covers.
>Advertise Hip Hop variants because black liquidity matters
>You order of Avengers #1 must exceed 150% of your Old Man Logan #1 order
Ever wonder why variant covers are $50? You're paying for all the A-covers the LCS had to order just to stock the variant.

>1. MARVEL LEGACY #1 (MAR)
I don't understand. It had fuck all digital sales.

And yet marvel will still win the month

You are stupid if you don't think that syndication matters.

You are even more pathetic if you don't think that libraries, residuals and catalogue sales matter to companies like DC and Marvel, Warner Brothers and Disney, or their shareholders.

DO you think that if anyone were interested in watching those POS Captain America serials or other shitty old Marvel films before Marvel was forced to sell all those IPs off, that Marvel wouldn't be making money from them?

Do you even have a concept of how businesses operate?

>Marvel has way more books selling under 20k
Under 20k:
Marvel - 42
DC - 28

Which sounds like a lot, until you do some actual thinking and notice that nine of those Marvel books are $1 "True Believer" reprints.

So the real 20k total:
Marvel - 33
DC - 28

Is that really "way more"?

Diamond is what gets shipped to retailers, not what gets bought by customers. And according to retailers they're having a hard time selling what they got.

Ah, haven't been into Aquaman lately since they're doing him losing the crown shit again.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Shipped to retailers.
A lot of marvels strategy is to have schemes that force shops to order more comics then they need to shore up there rankings. You can't trust that number one spot for legacy at all.

in terms of sell-through to Diamond accounts

>1. MARVEL COMICS (37.97%)
>2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (30.21%)
>1. MARVEL COMICS (38.13%)
>2. DC ENTERTAINMENT (36.68%)
Really jogs my noggin

With that page, you barely even have to single out the Hip Hop variant. Just look at the incentive barriers for every other variant cover.

Is a single Alex Ross variant cover worth upwards of $1,000 in ANAL Avengers?

>Everyone BTFW by Walking Dead
Why is everyone so focused on more Marvel vs DC company wars bullshit when this shitty comic is the most popular comic book in America?

They were for several months when New 52 started, and the first two months of Rebirth, and whenever they did gimmick months like Villain's Month and even years back they had the odd month they'd be on top like when Brightest Day ended. Time to face facts, Rebirth is just cancer, all this Batman and they have nothing to show for it.

SJW Marvel Strikes Back!

This is a discussion of the current states of both companies.

If you're really concerned about the business as a whole, why are we even talking about comics and TV when we could just look at the box office?

>that jump between Retail Market Share and Unit Market Share for DC
Wait... what? I'm having trouble understanding why this would be the case. Unit being significantly higher than Retail is usually a result of overshipping (as was the case for Marvel for the past year) but as far as I'm aware, DC doesn't overship.

Is it just because Marvel Legacy was a $6 book? That's really the only reason I can think of that would explain it.

Yes, because to DC you are counting "digital first" books like Injustice and DC Comics Bombshell.

Man, is Legacy really selling well? Just went to my LCS and a lot of the lenticular covers (which normally run out fast) are still on the shelves.
It's pretty popular because of the show user, my ex used to only buy that.