youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y
youtu.be/IX-ybJUz-rk
youtu.be/wZpmZyTK2dI
loscomicsdemachete.blogspot.mx/search?q=el señor de los anillos
youtu.be/_oBvNFMt9Ic
youtu.be/r65hX22Fyuc
youtu.be/pJLPih2gUgA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

COME NOT BETWEEN A NAZGUL AND HIS PREY, OR HE WILL SLAY THEEEEEEE IN TURN!

Shitty voice
But I like the design

>shits all over canon to shove in then-contemporary politics by having canonically eager, bloodthirsty orcs break into an anti-war song
If you hate social justice posturing being shoved into the shit you like, you should hate this, because it's just as obnoxious and disrespectful to the original work.

WHEN THERE'S A WHIP

Ralph Bakshi made the better animated LOTR movie.

Iliked the orcs and nazgul of animated version better than the peter jackson

Voice of Gollum was great, but he looked like a frog..

>awful rotoscoping
>butterfly balrog
>american indian aragorn
they're both shit desu

To be fair, John Hurt did a good job with his character.

the one chick was hot.

I've had this bookmarked for over a decade I think and stuck in my head for over 30 years.

youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Gollum was described as frog like in the Hobbit book.

Orcs didn't like serving Sauron in the book either.

He wasn't their original boss.

Honestly, the narration combined with the lack of background music leading up to the Witch King makes that scene tense as fuck. The the Witch King starts talking and it goes to shit.

youtu.be/IX-ybJUz-rk

Here's the scene in question. I think its still pretty solid.

Either way, he's a freaky-looking little critter.

Despite disliking certain aspects of it, I still think Bakshi did much better than Jackson in some parts. I prefer how understated his scene with Boromir is in comparison to Jackson's.

youtu.be/wZpmZyTK2dI

So who did the best orcs: R/B, Bakshi, or Jackson?

To promote the moviein Europe, Spanish publisher Toutain Ediciones commisioned Lui s Bermejo to adapt the novels intoa series of graphic novels.

Bermejo worked on Creepy and Vampirella and already adapted Raymond chandler's the Big Sleep as well as Isaac Asimov's I, Robot for them.

Due copyright issues, these comics were never translated into English but were available on Italian, Finnish, Swedish, German, Dutch, Icelandic and Spanish.

Here's a page that contaisn the three adaptations in Spanish if someone is interested

loscomicsdemachete.blogspot.mx/search?q=el señor de los anillos

The Rankin/Bass ones are perfect combo of cute and scary for a 10 year old being introduced to Hobbit/Lord of the Rings.

Jackson's are great for the more serious and adult adaptation that he did.

Then you enjoy them both again +nostalgia as you watch them with your kids.

Bakshi's are just rubbish, I wouldn't suggest that movie to anyone.

Couldn't agree more

Patrician taste, my friend. Now what about the goblins? Though I found the Jackson song quite good, I think they went a bit overboard with his design.

That's a tough one.

Bakshi's might be the weakest just because he didn't even have the budget to animate them. They stand out in almost every scene and its distracting. But I also enjoy scenes where they just get to be by themselves like these two clips.

youtu.be/_oBvNFMt9Ic

youtu.be/r65hX22Fyuc

With the Rankin/Bass movie the orcs aren't as scary looking or intimidating, they do have character and good designs, and the 'Where There's a Whip' song shows that they're more than just minions for Sauron, which is accurate to the books.

That's what I feel is the Jackson's versions weakness. His Orcs feel like just a bunch of mooks without a lot of personality, and they lack a bit of the implied nuance from the books.

So, final score would maybe be Rankin/Bass>Jackson>Bakshi. But this is also from someone who hasnt watched these movies in years, and isn't overly fond of the Jackson movies.

Honestly all the songs in the Rankin/Bass were amazing, not only that the songs just seemed to work better in a movie that is both animated and for a younger audience. They just fit better I think.

The Jackson goblin king guy seemed too different from the other goblins.

Really, the Rankin/Bass Hobbit was just superior in every way to Jackson's, except for the added material story I guess... though honestly, I remember almost nothing of them they left so little impression... I'm not even sure I saw them all.

I agree with that. He was obviously trying, but I think the designs for Jackson's goblins were a bit too distracting to be effective. I think he was trying too hard to make goblins different from orcs and didn't take into account if they worked as their own thing.

Reading LOTR for the first time, it's pretty fun. Strider just joined the group and they're navigating cliffs and shit, Frodo got a booboo and is riding a horse.

After I finish the books I'm totally gonna watch the movies, and I'm wondering if the animated movies are also recommended. They don't look very attractive in stills but I'd be willing to give them a shot.

The bearer of the ring The wearer of the ring

He hears a voice compelling him, filling him with thoughts that echo in his mind, it should be telling him.

Beware the power is a power never known, beware the power was simple now has grown

I almost prefer the cartoons in a lot of ways. They certainly not without fault or flaw but there's a simplicity and heart to them that I feel is lacking in a lot of the bigger budget movies.

Peter Jackson, I feel may be a real fan of the series but I have to wonder what parts of the series he's a fan of. He seems to prefer the bigger battles and war side of things, which is fine but a lot of the characterization and for want of a better word, charm is lost. Plus there's a lot of stupid video gamey shit in there that is just eye rolling. I haven't read the books in ages but In pretty sure Legolas isn't Ryu fucking Hayabusa

What is it about Sup Forums that attracts so much crossposting frpm Sup Forums

youtu.be/pJLPih2gUgA
I'm conflicted. Smaug is meant to be an ancient creature (emphasis on ancient) who has faced many, but is still a mighty force to be reckoned with. Both seem to portray one aspect quite nicely, but leaves the other out.

We both watch the idiot box, or the boob tube if you'd prefer.

I could be satisfied with that, lots of the set pieces and shit from the movies seem very well done. I can get down with it losing subtly if it gets the scale done right. I'm reading the books before the movie specifically to get the nuance and way things should be first off, then see the big smash battles as a little treat.

I fear that the cartoons will be too dated for me to enjoy, but I'll probably try them out. They both seem to be quite interesting takes on the look of everything at least, which is always nifty.

I like Cat Smaug better. I like that he sounds tired and just pretty much done with shit. And he speaks more organically.

Smaugerbatch just sounds like he's hamming it up. There's no subtlety. He sounds like someone who's pretending to be a dragon, which is a weird complaint I realize but the point of good acting is not to sound like you're acting.

tolkein's orcs have always been cowards that have to be driven into military service. the only person they fear more than their enemies is their boss.

"eager, bloodthirsty orcs" are a product of warcraft.

I wish the hobbit movies where better. Martin Freeman was a really good Bilbo

My point exactly. The R/B version exemplifies his personality, while the Jackson one his power.

I would say yes, but with the knowledge that they are both flawed.

I think that in certain regards Bakshi 'gets' the books more than Jackson does, but he had almost no budget and had to adapt the first one and a half books. As it goes along it starts to become a bit like a fever dream, and its very obvious when the budget ran out. However, it is a lot more grounded than Jackson's films are, and doesn't rely as much on big set pieces.

With Rankin/Bass it only covers the last book, but its a lot more solid all the way through the Bakshi's is, which goes up and down the scale of quality as it goes along. The design are all solid, and the music is entertaining, but the voice acting is a bit flat and the animation is very stiff, which is common for Rankin/Bass. It does use the narration from the books, however, and its used well. This version also 'gets' the books pretty well.

Again, I think it was a bit "too much" in the Jackson films. Smaugh does come off as powerful but it's almost too powerful. The kind of damage he does to Laketwon is insane, there shouldn't be anyone left alive. Smaug shouldn't be Godzilla. He's the last of the great dragons but while he's greater than any mortal creature he's old and past his prime. His part of a race of creatures that don't belong in Middlearth anymore.

There's a certain quiet warmth to the books and cartoon films that Jackson just didn't seem to understand. Fantasy adventure can be grand but it's almost like something you'd tell by a warm fire looking back.

The giant battles and set pieces may seem exciting but that fades and quite nostalgia is what lingers

Only realized his age after listening to "The Hoarde."

That was mother fucking John Hurt?

I need to check that up again.

I think this is a bit wrong. Smaug is still every bit as powerful as he's portrayed. Remember that in LOTR Tolkien goes over how Gandalf got involved with the Hobbit adventure in the first place, he was becoming concerned with their being this super powerful being in play as Sauron is increasing in power. He mentions at the end that if they hadn't gotten rid of Smaug, everything north of Gondor where they would return to would be nothing but smoke and ash.

That being said, I think the Rankin&Bass version of Smaug is MUCH better because it more accurately captures his character. I think Jackson almost entirely misses the point with their conversation. Smaug is supposed to be very charismatic, leading Bilbo almost into a weird sense of security, this is something that Thorin even warns him about before he goes down. Also, now that I've seen that scene from Jacksons, I think he really fucked up how Bilbo acts during that scene as well. He's getting this surge of confidence that is an effect of the ring and the power it has. Obviously this isn't directly discussed in the book, but it's an element that exists in their interaction.

Yeah that's something I noticed on rewatch too. Cartoon Bilbo came across as a lot ballsier in their exchange. I stand by how great I think Freeman was but his Bilbo seemed generally more neurotic whereas cartoon Bilbo was more put upon