Nova thread

I wonder what happen to Sam Alexander.

Is he getting his own book again?

aw come on.

Very unlikely. I like Sam, but he sells like ass. He sells like America.
The Sam/Rich Nova book was great and it sold like dogshit from the first comic

Sam is poison for sales. The "NINO" hatedom is too strong and any book featuring him is destined to fail.

NINO?

Are you kidding?
Sam's final issue, "Nova" #7, sold at 13k.
"America" #6 sold at 9k.

Just barely over nine thousand books. And yet "America" is the one that's being hoisted as Marvel's flagship teen Latino book.

Nova In Name Only

NINO == "Nova In Name Only".
People were assblasted about Sam coming in to replace Rich, so they boycotted any Nova book to feature Sam. This included the recent series in which Rich returned to the Marvel Universe.

Now you can only find Sam in "Champions", which is probably a fate worse than death or Limbo.

>absolute dogshit sales is better than absolute dogshit sales
Anything less than 20k is utterly awful

There's a particular comic forum, I can't remember which one, where you aren't allowed to refer to Sam as Nova. You'd get banned. You have to refer to him as NINO "Nova In Name Only"

"Nova in Name Only." Some forum, I can't remember which, would straight up ban you if you ever called Sam "Nova." People hate him THAT much.

Jeez man, we have shit memory. I remember it wasn't CBR, but the name was similar.

>Anything less than 20k is utterly awful
So, more than 65% of Marvel's ongoings?

It doesn't help that Bendis brought back Star Lord and Thanos too.
In a way, Sam was probably a prototypical version of the whole legacy character kerfuffle that's permeated Marvel today. The original died, the new one was carted in with little explanation, and it's only become recently that Sam has become his own person rather than a straight replacement. Too bad the rest of Marvel didn't learn that lesson.

>So, more than 65% of Marvel's ongoings?
Yeah, that's why Marvel is looking really shaky despite comic books actually growing as an industry.

So, Sam is the Kyle Rayner of nova?

desu I don't know enough about Kyle to make that comparison, but if people hate Kyle solely because "he is not the real green lantern", then yeah.

You just proved his point lad

Wasn't he another creator's pet that they forced into readers who either wanted the other guy or never cared?

They should put him in a book with Evan Sabahnur and become boyfriends.

Not sure how. Sam's problem isn't being unknown, it's being despised just because he isn't Rich. Me not knowing Kyle is not equal to me hating him.

I viewed him as Marvel's Kyle Rayner.

They had this big interesting space group that had fun cosmic stories until a writer wanted to "return to basics" and killed them all off and gave the last remaining ring/helmet to some totally random kid and had him stick around on Earth only. But then they got to work baiting a return of the corps every other month only to bait and switch every last time.

Instead of cosmic stories we got stories og how much the new guy sucks at being a superhero, he keeps screwing up, and constantly pisses off other heroes.

In the 90s, DC had a story where Hal Jordan went crazy and became a villain.

They then introduced Kyle as the new GL.

This made a lot of people unhappy, to the point that there were organized write-in campaigns and boycotts of DC and GL books by Hal fans

He's pretty obviously meant to represent Loeb's Dead Son.

but just like with Sam, the Kyle situation was handled by multiple writers and editors.

you can't blame just one.

everyone loves DnA, but they killed Rich off, yet no one blames them for Sam's existence.

One of the main reasons I didn't like him is because they rushed into using him as a replacement without ever explaining what happened to the original.
I think everyone can agree that bringing back Quill and Thanos but excluding Rich for the sole purpose of replacing him was a bad thing. On top of that, there was no reason for Rich to stay dead.
Also, whenever Marvel was met with complaints about this, there response was basically "Well fuck you you don't like it". That's their response for everything, but still.

I Blame Marvel's love of killing off most or all of the Novas each and every event.

DNA aren't the ones who decided to create a new Nova to replace Sam. They may have left the hole, but it was a hole they assumed would remain empty.

These, pretty much. Not only was Sam's introduction a rush job to usher in Avengers vs. X-Men, but people (myself included) only saw him as another expy of Jeph Loeb's Dead Son.

Thankfully, Loeb took himself off of Nova's ongoing after a few months, and under the hand of other writers Sam's become a more fleshed out character. If only somebody would tell Bendis to do the same for Miles.

You all should've bought Nova Rebirth, I know a few hundred sales wouldn't have saved the book, but gosh it would've meant something at least

Rich is dead?

IMO, even with Loeb gone, Sam never had any meaningful improvement.
I also remember that Loeb said he promised to return to writing for Sam one day. He's probably trying to sneak him into a show.

I wouldn't mind if he teams up with Rich from time to time, they had a good dynamic, and after all this time I'd be sad if he just became a background character in champions, since thats basically miles and kamala's show

Sam was already in the Ultimate Spider-Man show

>they expected a semi-popular character/role would stay gone
>In capecomics

They are dumbasses then

He was then he got better

He was gone for 5 years, assumed to be dead
After the recent installment for Nova ended, he was in limbo

I think Rich should have some time to do a couple things on his own.
The recent comic was about them working together, with more of a focus on Sam .

The NINO people are utterly retarded. They'd cut off their nose to spite their face.

They were completely against the Sam/Rich crossover even though it was great simply because Sam was in it.
Many of their complaints about Sam are legitimate, but they go waaaay too far.

No one loved Richard for three decades

I said time to time. Obviously he needs solo time too

I hope so. Maybe I should have supported Nova Vol 6 but that run enjoyable.

Just autistic nerds doing what they do best

Sam is not the worst of the forced insert legacy characters running around 616 right now anyway.

He's Kyle in the fact that he's the new character a lot of people hate but he has the Silver Age Hal Jordan endearing dumbass thing going on.

Rich is Hal in the impulsive maverick department, but like Kyle he also was the rookie last of his corps who had to learn the ropes by himself.

I can't find the quote but Sana Amanat once said that if you treat a beloved character with disrespect and replace him with a new character without any explanation and just expect people to take it you essentially doom the new character.

It's what happened with Hal and Kyle, as well as Rich and Sam.

DnA still had plans for Rich and Star-Lord but couldn't get to them because Marvel was at that point in the beginning stages of planning the GotG movie so they wanted them to wrap up their cosmic saga.

Annihilators was given to them as consolation but that didn't turn out that great.

Vol 6 was the extremely forgettable one by Sean Ryan.
Vol 7 was the recent one.

It was Cosmic Book News. Those guys were insane about it.

Bought every single issue. Encouraged my friends to buy it. I tried, user. I tried so God damned hard.

I bought the TP user i'm sorry I didn't support it while it was going on

Seeing as the thread's dying, any hopes for this story?

Personally, no. I don't like the new Novas at all. I think the Corps should always be limited to Rich and a select few others.
Duggan not reading Thanos Imperative either is a bummer

Is that antman?

Yes.

Do they all shoot lasers?

They aren't seriously doing more "pairing popular characters with the guardians" are they?

I'm pretty sure that was what G. Willow Wilson said.

Some do. Some don't.
They haven't said where the new guys get their power. They haven't demonstrated any either, but Duggan says a few have them

That Loveness/Perez book was excellent.

Can't they just send him to space to have adventures again, maybe in another cosmic book? While I did enjoy some of his stories on Earth the fact that he's stuck with the Chamipons is the saddest thing.
He can take Viv too, she's in the same position.

I don't like how they dropped everyone that was not in the movie from the team in the new book.

I liked Warlock, Phyla, Vance, Cosmo and Jack Flagg

Who the hell wants to read about totally nonpowered Novas?

They were already barely usable mooks that died by the hundred in events back when they were all mid tier flying bricks.

Warlock's coming back in issue 150.

"Champions" is like if somebody told Waid to write a teen book and his first instinct was to lurk Tumblr and use their speech patterns and vernacular.

I kinda dont wanna read about another plucky young whosits learning the ropes about being an established character, its getting boring.

>buying comics

He's also coming in gotg 3.

>synergy
Sometimes I'm thankful for it.

Not all Novas are depowered and the comic is still about the Guardians. Last issue we sae a Nova with the force that wasn't Rich.

That said the Nova corps always consisted of powered Novas and Novas who didn't have the Nova force, read Annihilation Prologue (and the comics before it) and you'll see they had desk jockeys and security people who obviously weren't soldiers.

Warlock is comong back and Duggan teases that he wasn't the only one coming back.

It's obvious it's Phyla, Duggan teased her being trapped with Adam and he ser up the nega bands and specifically mentioned they were Mar-Vell's negabands.

Also it's not all synergy since when asked about Yondu and Nebula Duggan said he didn't have plans for them at all.
I am OK with that because I like Adam and if it gets more people interested in him and him having more of a presence in the comic, I am all for it.

Yeah, those were the Novas who had the force.

Well they are a subset of teens and college aged kids, so thats one demographic

Have they acknowledged yet that the current GotG emblem looks a lot like the nova corp emblem?

Doubtful. He is a d-list legacy with no notable story arcs and a toxic hatedom. They are better off promoting Robbie Reyes as their new token spic.

Also these guys.

But, robbie is fucking boring.

I always felt like someone just looked at the end of Thanos Imperative, saw the combined Star-Lord and Nova memorial logo and just went with it.

That said that logo mostly appeared in bendis' run, I think Duggan dropped it and Star-Lord only has his flame logo.

The movies dind't even used it, they gave the flame logo to the Ravagers and the Guardians had it but theirs had like a cutout in it.

If someone cared they could no-prize it as Star-Lord doing it in honor of Rich but nahh.

I like where they are going if they can get Darkhawk and Rich on the team for good. Then they can be a moderately powered team again.

Someone should get those nega bands too,

Will Phylla-Vell come back?

So far she's the only guardian who is still dead right?

I'm honestly looking forward to Rich learning about Talonar being Robbie and shit hitting the fan there.

Duggan said Rich and Peter were going to have a space adventure together so I'm also looking forward to that.

Better to have boring Robbie Reyes than Sam or America with their uncompromising hatedoms.

Robbie isn't looking so hot

Mark waid got a chance to explore relationship between the young heroes but he wasted on politic BS. The best champions book is about cyclops going fucking crazy.

I hope the champions comic get better.

Looks like Rich is going to be in the title for the foreseeable future but he won't be officially joining.

Makes sense since Rich, despite helping found Star-Lord's team, never had any intention of joining Star-Lord's team and he made it clear to Peter and Phyla from the beginning (although I'm sure Peter would love having him there).

Even in the last story Adsit calls him to help him with his corps as a favor and acknowledged Rich had his own things, meaning Rich isn't with Adsit's Nova corps either.

Rich likes going solo.

He got tortured, brainwashed, and fucked up pretty badly.

He might also be pissed that Rich never came to save him like he always does.

No, Jack Flagg is also dead.

But phyla might come back, she was already teased.

see >It's obvious it's Phyla, Duggan teased her being trapped with Adam and he ser up the nega bands and specifically mentioned they were Mar-Vell's negabands.

Also if they are Mar-Vell's negabands did Robbie go and desecrated his corpse?

>I hope the champions comic get better.
Only if they take Waid off the book.

Well Flagg died outside of the guardians, so that doesn't count.

The question was
>So far she's the only guardian who is still dead right?
And I answered it and Jack Flagg, who is also a Guardian, is dead.

Not at the time that he died he wasn't.

He was never really cut out for guardian work, he always hated cosmic stuff, bless his heart

All right, new question
Who remembers pic related? Or maybe a better question: did anyone read the series that introduced pic related?

So I didn't really read Bendis's run much, but it sounds like whatever happened to Groot happened between Bendis and the new guy.

Have we actually seen what happened yet or is that a mystery?

That NINO shit is HEAT tier, and both are stupid as fuck. This is from someone that doesn't like Kyle and didn't care for Sam when he was Loeb's son. Sam's gotten a lot better since then and it sucks that his book was cancelled before it could really get going and build an audience.

Champions is dogshit. I was hoping for something similar to PAD's YJ and we ended up with #wokeWaid doing his best "hey there, fellow kids!" impression. What a fucking disappointment.

I still got hopes that the book going to be good.

Oh hey, so Bendis had the main character of his series get engaged to his waifu

And then conveniently had them break up in a way that is not his waifu's by the end of his run?

What a surprise

I pulled every issue, but I'm used to the comics I like getting cancelled for low sales.

G Willow Wilson said that. Sana Amanat does the exact opposite and has gone on the record that she's totally down with replacing characters with new minority legacies just because.

Yeah, Loki made the Gardner (an elder of the universe) angry at the "meat" creatures, so he torn Groot apart and made clones out of him.

The Gardener hacked Groot to pieces and planted all the pieces to make an army. Hence, the one splinter Rocket recovered can't grow properly.

Wait, so I'm reading Duggan's GotG

Why are the guardians running heists and talking about going separate ways?
What happened to them, well, guarding the galaxy?