Batman: White Knight

This was dumb, like I was surprised by how dumb. Batgate? SJWs? Gordon an incompetent moron? The Joker isnt a bad guy he's just crazy meme? Magic plot device pills that make the Joker completely normal?

The idea that Gotham would side with the joker after years of murder and terrorism just cause a video of Batman brutalizing out of the Joker leaked on the internet is pure unadulterated retard. If anything they would be cheering him on because theyre tired of him letting psychopaths like the Joker have free reign.

I dont know what I was expecting but I didnt think this would be so dumb. I can't decide which was dumber, this or the War of Jokes and Riddles, but then again this is just issue 1.

>The idea that Gotham would side with the joker after years of murder and terrorism
Alternate Universe. It's not the same Joker, it's not the same Batman.

I liked it, it was pretty.

Sean...

The Joker himself admits to terrorizing gotham during his prison monologue, and the GCPD points out he's been doing this for years as well. Pretending these are somehow meant to be drastically different characters is stupid.

Murphy himself admits that this whole world is inspired by the animated series.

Batman being seen as a representative of GCPD police brutality is pretty stupid too.

It was good, you're just looking for excuses to say it was bad because MUH POLITICS IN COMICS. Fuck off man, it's like you never read a comic book in your life other than fun and comfy shit.

I didnt say anything about politics dude, youre reaching. The writing was bad.

>it was pretty
And that's all it was. Sean Murphy is an artist, NOT a writer and it shows

There were barely any politics in it so far, the book just sucks

I agree with everything but the siding with Joker.
In the US all I see is retarded people bitching about the police. A suicidal dude wants to try suicide by police, video shows the police trying their best to talk him out of it, he runs with a fucking knife at an officer, is shot dead, americans go whining about police brutality, people say retarded things like "why didn't you shoot his leg?", "police need to be trained more!"

As for my country, the leftist subversion of culture has gone so far that leftist WILL side with the criminal 100% of the time, unless it's a rapist because feminist agenda comes before the humanitarian agenda.

That is the one point I could see happening in reality.

Murphy isn't a special great writer but he isn't so bad. We'll see in the next issue, we have to admit the background Joker has in canon makes impossible something like a reformed popular Joker. Although at least it could have been slower instead of Leslie just appearing saying Joker was cured but Snyder did many stupid things and wasn't so "genius" like DC or some fans like to think so i'll wait for development to judge if Murphy is "not so bad" or a little wit with his plot. He has the freedom to use all the characters of Batman so let's see what he can do.

Of course he's an artist you should watch his interview with J Lee and he thinks writers aren't so important since everybody could make up most comic plots but he has an opportunity to handle a whole new Gotham city. This will be interesting in one way or another.

>Sup Forums making sense for once
Well this is refreshing I would have thought Sup Forums would have made their hate boner for Batman blind them to the truth but i guess you guys hate Joker even more.

nope I love that clown and I think the problem Sup Forums has with Joker is that most people demand a murderous Joker, they like him that way.

It showed way back on Punk Rock Jesus.

There's an overwhelming evidence in comics that artists turned writers usually suck at writing. Sean Murphy isn't an exception, Punk Jesus shit the bed at the end.

>hate boner for Batman

LMAO, Sup Forums loves any and all Battrash that gets published. See: Metal.

I think people are worrying too much because he dove right into the whole batman is crazy, joker is reformed thing. Everything in this issue held the purpose of spitting that out real quick.

Issue two will probably fastforward into the joker being the new bruce/harvey and people will get pissed again. But I think he's laying the foundation for some kind of twist with Harley having swapped the pills with something the Joker didnt intend to take.

The pay off might be cool, so im gonna keep reading.

>Alternate Universe. It's not the same Joker, it's not the same Batman.
This was my problem with the story. If this is an AU where Joker is no worse than the Penguin or The Riddler, then Batman is a raging psycho all the time, not just against the worst terrorist Gotham has ever known. That means both he and Joker are written wildly ooc just so Murphy can use them as metaphors for police brutality in America.

Fuck off, Mr. "I don't enjoy anything that's different from my canon"

Joker read like a bad fanfic.
You know the ones. Where the author writes from the villain's perspective and acknowledges all their past wrongdoings and points out everything wrong with the hero with metatextual clarity and they could make up for all this if you'd only give them a chance!!

I don't know all that couples bullshit sounds like Snyder, I think he's imitating Snyder's Joker

Snyder's Joker didn't desperately try to convince others that he just needed a chance to prove he's right.

I don't know.
Writers enjoy depicting Batman breaking bones of minor thugs all the time. Like he's a master martial artist and every superlative you want but he can't disarm and immobilize without doing severe damage?

For some reason Batgod doesn't cover arresting someone without sending him to the hospital, which is what most cops in developed countries do.

>In the US all I see is retarded people bitching about the police. A suicidal dude wants to try suicide by police, video shows the police trying their best to talk him out of it, he runs with a fucking knife at an officer, is shot dead, americans go whining about police brutality, people say retarded things like "why didn't you shoot his leg?", "police need to be trained more!"
You do realize this wouldn't happen if there haven't been many videos of cops using excessive or lethal force for no reason up till now?

Haha. This comic is not
>dumb.
It's great. And I don't think you read it very carefully. Gotham doesn't side with Joker. Gotham is split. And they aren't siding with Joker, they're concerned about vigilantism and police deception. Joker himself brings a lawsuit. Both of these things are completely plausible -- the book makes a good argument for why it's harmful to have vigilantes running around doing the job of the police.

The storytelling is methodical and well-paced -- it doesn't go for too much and ignore important story/character beats. And the art is fan-fucking-tastic. This and Mister Miracle are the two best books right now in capeland.

OK, Sean.

The book's great. Deal with it.

Whatever you say, Sean.

HOW DARE YOU! I'M THE BEST WRITER IN THE WHOLE GODDAMN-- I mean, Sean's book is great.

I know it's hard to accept how great it is. To people who are used to bad writing, reading White Knight can be like looking directly into the sun. Yes, it gives life to everything, but it will blind you with its intensity.

Were you not in the storytime the day this dropped? A lot of people pointed out that the only good thing about this book was is the art.

>Joker is called a White Night
How many layers of Irony are we on?

>People siding with Joker
Literally anyone else, any villian could have worked better than the worst villian on Gotham

It's not awful but the characters are acting very out of character. Batman doesn't act the way he did in the Joker chase scene, even in Miller's edgiest stuff. He's not reckless like that. I could MAYBE see Christian Bale Batman acting like this, but I can't think of any other version of the character that would do this.

The Joker also seemed way too lucid and harmless throughout that whole sequence. He's acting like he's just some hoodlum on skates.

It's not a terrible comic; it's workable as an Elseworlds story and I'm sure it's an interesting idea for people who aren't put off by the characters acting out of character, but for me, I just can't buy into the premises of the story, and a story doesn't really work if you don't accept its premises.

yeah, but still all that shitty desperate "love" for batman is an imitation of Snyder, I always hated that shit and obviously here it's again.

Now that I think about it, you know what would have made this work a lot better?

A reformed Two-Face. Dude's a lawyer, he'd be able to find some loophole to get himself off for his crimes and be more believable in criticizing Batman's methods.

The only real concern is that might be seen as a ripoff of The Dark Knight Returns, and Two-Face is the kind of villain where you just know he's eventually going to go back to crime.

>I'M THE BEST WRITER IN THE WHOLE GODDAMN --

What is it? his twitter? It sounds like his tweets.

Murphy doesn't know what a good writer is but he's allowed to explore situations nobody can touch in the continuity so it's still interesting.

Not my case, I want to read WK though this writer is a beginner and has troubles, at least the guy is trying, but he needs to mature as a writer, his first matter is that he underestimate how important is the writing. I don't need his stupid art, I would read it with the simplest art ever if the book had a good writing, even 3D models.

The guy is trying so I'm gonna read the book anyway.

If something I'm very exigent, most comics are a guilty pleasure for me

This. Murphy just wanted his police brutality story

So Joker isn't actually the Joker for the story. He's just some guy who's running around essentially trolling Gotham and Bruce.

He doesn't kill, doesn't kidnap, doesn't even hurt anybody, wears clown make up.

Like he literally just stole a scooter, rode it through town, and slipped into that warehouse.

And Bruce is super ultra violent for absolutely no reason.

>It's not awful but the characters are acting very out of character. Batman doesn't act the way he did in the Joker chase scene, even in Miller's edgiest stuff. He's not reckless like that. I could MAYBE see Christian Bale Batman acting like this, but I can't think of any other version of the character that would do this.
>
>The Joker also seemed way too lucid and harmless throughout that whole sequence. He's acting like he's just some hoodlum on skates.

I'd be fine with either one of these. Maybe Batman is violent and crazy because The Joker is his arch nemesis, an even more violent and crazy psychopath with a history of personal attacks against Bruce.

Or maybe Joker is just a run of the mill bad guy who pulls clown related robberies because he's not well in the head, so Batman has to bring him in.

But if it's both, then Batman's violent and crazy and nearly beats a sick man to death for stealing a scooter.

>reformed Two-Face

It wouldn't sell in the same way and It doesn't feel so elseworld

It's more interesting than the last decade or so of bat books.

>he thinks this is better than Deathstroke, Doom Patrol, Astro City, and Black Hammer

How wrong can you be? This is a mediocre Batman elseworlds