So I was getting ready to go on stage at U of Illinois yesterday when I started getting a stream of tweets, DMs...

>So I was getting ready to go on stage at U of Illinois yesterday when I started getting a stream of tweets, DMs, and press requests for comment about a “Marvel announcement.” Having been on the road and out of the loop, it took me a minute to figure out what I was even being asked. I finally deduced it was this. Needless to say, I’d never heard of this project, and was as baffled as the rest of the internet.

>I would have left. I’m not naive; I know all collaborations involve compromise, ideological or otherwise. But everybody has their own red lines, and bespoke recruitment paraphernalia for combat drone manufacturers–under the fantastically cynical guise of encouraging kids to get into STEM careers–is my red line and then some.

>So I stayed up until about 2:30am last night looking at my schedule and trying to figure out a timeline to extricate myself without screwing over the incredible editors and co-creators I work with.

>Thankfully, I haven’t needed to run with it, as it seems as though sanity has prevailed and the project has been canned, at least for now.

>It ain’t worth your immortal soul, kids. No matter how cool it is, no matter how hard you worked for it, it ain’t worth your immortal soul.

Other urls found in this thread:

gwillowwilson.com/post/166159537168/yeah-no
archive.is/eoc0z
youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>The terrible irony about the perception that Ms Marvel is “political” is that I spend a not insubstantial amount of my time keeping Ms Marvel out of politics. There’s been a great deal of interest in the character from various governmental and non-governmental organizations over the years, and as one of her creative spokespeople, I have turned down awards, speaking money, advisory positions, appearances and gigs that by now must amount to many thousands of dollars in lost potential income, all in the name of preserving the political and ideological independence of a fictional character. I’ve even, in certain circumstances, distanced myself from organizations within my own faith community in order to avoid giving Kamala’s detractors any reason to link her, through me, to any perceived real-world agendas.

>So to be dragged into shit like this makes me somewhat apoplectic.

>I should also say, however, that I would not have thought any less of creators who would have stayed if the Grumman project had moved forward. None of us are getting rich off of comics and having to walk away from projects takes literal food out of our mouths. Nor am I a huge fan of publisher-wide boycotts, for that same reason. The people who are hurt are inevitably the ones who least deserve it and have zero say in the matter.

>That’s all I got for now.

gwillowwilson.com/post/166159537168/yeah-no

I was wondering what her take on this would be...

The fact that she was unaware and ready to walk when she did learn speaks volumes of the incompetence permeating the higher-up positions at Marvel

Mickey is going to have somebody's head after this weekend

>We could have had drone-manufacturer comics from Marvel.
>We could have had an end to Ms Marvel.

Now we have don't have either of them.

If only this had gone ahead, and enough of the right people had ragequit.

>recruitment paraphernalia for combat drone manufacturers–under the fantastically cynical guise of encouraging kids to get into STEM careers–is my red line and then some
Someone bitching about combat drones is pretty much a 100% confirmation that they're a brainlet.

>>The terrible irony about the perception that Ms Marvel is “political” is that I spend a not insubstantial amount of my time keeping Ms Marvel out of politics. There’s been a great deal of interest in the character from various governmental and non-governmental organizations over the years, and as one of her creative spokespeople, I have turned down awards, speaking money, advisory positions, appearances and gigs that by now must amount to many thousands of dollars in lost potential income, all in the name of preserving the political and ideological independence of a fictional character. I’ve even, in certain circumstances, distanced myself from organizations within my own faith community in order to avoid giving Kamala’s detractors any reason to link her, through me, to any perceived real-world agendas.

goddamn it Wilson still believes in a stupid cult but she's doing a pretty bang-up job of it

>The people who are hurt are inevitably the ones who least deserve it and have zero say in the matter.
It seems like this entire Grumman project was only a higher up marvel thing. I am still scratching my head why they though it was a good idea.
I wonder how the people who had to make the comic felt about this.

all I know is that Feige vs. Permutter round 2 is gonna be coming soon, and it's gonna be the fight of the century.

I don't follow Marvel corporate stuff that much, what was feige vs perlmutter round 1?

Ayy I go to UIUC too and I was just gonna to that just to have a big sign asking if Xmen or Fantastic 4 will be in it or if she'll be in mahvel but someone would of taken it the wrong way so nah.

>The terrible irony about the perception that Ms Marvel is “political” is that I spend a not insubstantial amount of my time keeping Ms Marvel out of politics.
*Kamala fights Inhuman supremacists as a thinly-veiled comparison to Muslim terrorists.
*Entire arc about gentrification being evil.
*Issue literally dedicated to telling people to vote and not let tyrants into office through complacency.

Don't BS us, Wilson. We know you get political with Kamala quite often.

user, it could be far, far worse

>what was feige vs perlmutter round 1?

Perlmutter didn't think a solo movie with a female lead could sell, and wanted his precious Inhumans movie to replace the X-men. Feige managed to coordinate with the top execs at Disney and overrulled Ike. Now we have a shit Inhumans tv show and a Captain Marvel movie coming up.

Perlmutter didn't want Robert Downey Jr. to be in Civil War because he demanded a huge paycheck to be in the movie. This caused a huge back-and-forth between Feige and Perlmutter that ground the production of the film to a halt. It got so bad that Disney had to step in and make Marvel Studios autonomous from Marvel Entertainment, meaning Feige could do whatever he wanted with the movies without Perlmutter's approval.

This incidentally also lead Feige to cancel the planned Inhumans movie, since he never wanted to make it in the first place and only put it in production so Perlmutter would approve the production of a Black Panther and Captain Marvel movie (Perlmutter was convinced that Marvel needed to 'devalue' the X-Men brand by pushing the Inhumans as the new Marvel equivalent, which also resulted in the long period where Inhumans got a ton of shilling and books, while The X-Men were more-or-less pushed to the background in the comics).

>*Entire arc about gentrification being evil.
This is complete horseshit by the way, economists are pretty much universally of the opinion that gentrification objectively improves the lot of the people originally living there. Seems that disregarding experts and making stances based solely on fee-fees and ideology is not limited to one side of the spectrum.

>It seems like this entire Grumman project was only a higher up marvel thing. I am still scratching my head why they though it was a good idea.
Ike Perlmutter.

They should fire her

>Now we have a shit Inhumans tv show and a Captain Marvel movie coming up.

And if Ike had won, we could have had a big-budget Inhumans movie, no Captain Marvel movie, and the comics would have no excuse to keep pushing Carl Manvers.

We all lost this battle, anons.

Which would have been a fair argument had Wilson not tied it to HYDRA using gentrification as a giant and literal brainwashing scheme.

You're not wrong, those are political, but as thinly veiled as they were, they never directly connected to a real group or cause.
The moment you make your fictional character stand not for a fictional group (no matter how thinly veiled it is) but for a real group, you change the nature of your message to something very political.

>we could have had a big-budget Inhumans movie

user, Ike ran the show with the Inhumans. We know how much of a cheapskate he is. That movie would have been fucking terrible.

honestly this company infighting is more interesting than any of the comics stuff, give me a Perlmutter vs Feige movie

*objectively improves the lot of the people originally living there WHO CAN AFFORD TO CONTINUE TO LIVE THERE.

That's where the actual controversy is and of course the comic didn't touch it at all in lieu of There's a discussion to be had, but no one can have a discussion in media, just spout one-sided strawmen

I love that in this year, Wonder Woman did so well and Inhumans is talked with disgust.

>*objectively improves the lot of the people originally living there WHO CAN AFFORD TO CONTINUE TO LIVE THERE.
Nope, all of them.
>That's where the actual controversy is
There's only a "controversy" in the sense that one side is clearly 100% wrong and just refuse to admit it. Economists agree on this pretty much universally. Anti-gentrists are equivalent to anti-vaxxers.

You recall Age of Ultron, right?

>u of i

>honestly this company infighting is more interesting than any of the comics stuff, give me a Perlmutter vs Feige movie
This
Give Perlmutter the boot and make a Kevin Fiege film.

Man. I really like Wilson.

She's talking about literally selling out the character to real world political groups, user, you really can't see the difference between that and encouraging people to vote? Fucking for real?

Gentrification is often used/causes the pushing out of poorer minorities, of course the community improves when the poor people are gone

I don't give a fuck about the Inhumans at all, Feige has done well enough in the past for me to give him the benefit of the doubt re: Captain Marvel movie, and the only comics I read these days come from DC.

So, no. As far as I'm concerned this battle was won on all three fronts.

>DC fan

Well of course you like things that make marvel suck a chode

The two had disagreements over budget spending for a while but it started coming to a head around the production of Iron Man 3

The script initially planned Maya Hansen to be revealed as the true mastermind behind the Ten Rings but Perlmutter, being an old toy executive, insisted that it be changed as, according to him, boys don't action figures of villains if they're girls. So the script was hastily rewritten to include the role of Killian

The grand irony of this being that they never actually made a Killian action figure

By the time Captain America: Civil War was in production, Fiege finally had enough of Perlmutter's meddling and went directly to Bob Iger of Disney and threatened to quit if Ike didn't get out of his way.

Disney sided with Fiege and cut Perlmutter out of creative control in Marvel Studios productions

Perlmutter still retained control of Marvel Entertainment, which supervises the comic, game and television divisions

And that's why we ended up with stuff like Iron Fist, Inhumans, MVCI and most recently... THIS WHOLE DEBACLE... They all reek of his stinginess

Having so many flops/snafus in a row is sure to have the Mouse ready to clean house

This is one of the most perplexing shitshows I've ever seen in comics.

Who thought this was a good idea? At all? It's damned strange.

You forgot to mention that Age of Ultron was the camel that broke the straw, as it didn't gross more than the first film, and was a constant mess of "Look! Ragnarok! Look! Infinity Stones! Look! We mentioned Wakanda!" Don't forget when they were announcing Phase 3, Fiege had to plug Agents of SHIELD cause they would introduce Inhumans.

Perlmutter was making these films like actual comics. Where you buy an issue/see a film, and it's advertising future films instead of presenting a quality story right then and there!

What DC book do you think she'll be on once Marvel runs her off? Would she want Vixen again?

>>DC fan

Oddly enough, as much as I prefer DC comics I have not enjoyed a single DC movie in fucking forever. So take from that what you will.

>Who thought this was a good idea? At all? It's damned strange.
Ike Pelrmutter, the guy who is stingy to all his workers, gives millions to Trump, and rearranges stories to sell more toys. The guy probably doesn't even watch the movies his company makes.

>I have not enjoyed a single DC movie in fucking forever
thats because except for wonderwoman they've been aweful

What I don't understand is what it was meant to sell. Why is is important that marvel readers understand the brand of Northrup Grumman? Who the hell reads marvel comics and can afford to buy something from them?

they should fire you from reality

Lego Batman was fucking great though

I think its more for recruiting purposes but even that only makes slightly more sense. Why comics? Just stick to job fairs at MIT.

I wouldn't mind that. Vixen's kind of languishing in JLA ATM. Most likely, they would either give her Wonder Woman or give her Batgirl

It's probably the other way around, the brand wanted new blood and tried to target it this way. Marvel is probably just greedy and wanted the money not thinking it would be drama.

Even Wonder Woman was pretty average at best. Only reason why everyone's blowing smoke up its ass is because it had a female lead and is the only DC movie in nearly a decade that wasn't a dumpster fire.

>counting lego movies

> let's bring a war profiteer into Marvel, that'll go over well

>the only DC movie in nearly a decade that wasn't a dumpster fire
well they couldn't have Diana do her signature move when Clark had used it already

I didn't see Lego Batman.

Yeah, seems like a really shitty way to recruit people. And are you really hitting your right demographic?
I would usually attribute this to Marvel wanting to make drama, but this seems way too stupid for that.

Never underestimate stupidity

I was thinking it was a sort of "all those stupid rednecks stopped buying our comics. what do stupid rednecks like? guns and masculinity? well, nothing's more gun or masculine than flying murder robots. we'll partner with a drone manufacturer, that's get all those fat retards back on our side."

And then it didn't work.

I suppose they think they're reaching children but how many kids even read comics nowadays and of them how many would want this specific comic? And of those how many would grow up to study the requisite field that would allow them to work for this company?

Seems like an idea that sounded really clever to the dinosaurs in the boardroom of this company.

I'm thinking it was more like "fuck fuck fuck inhumans is crashing and burning I need to suck some military cock to stay in Donald's good graces"

>vote for MY candidate

There was a very clear message here, and if you read the same comic the rest of it is, then we all know that this pretense is fucking horseshit and you can stop feigning ignorance.

Considering that the opponent was hydra and the other was a person who seemed like an angel in comparison, I don't see how she is saying you should vote for one political party or another.

>We could have had an issue of Ms Marvel where a Northrop Grumman drone takes out Ms Marvel and her entire family as collateral damage because Hydra planted false evidence she was a terrorist

Oh for what could have been. But it's lost now, like tears in rain.

Considering Hydra has functioned as a dumb strawman for the right since a few months before the election cycle ended, you are just being stubborn about admitting this very basic, on-display fact that Wilson is just as guilty as anyone else on writing staff at Marvel of dogwhistling to progressive left. You do see, you just don't want to admit it.

OKay, what is this all about?
What is happening?
What does Ike have to do with this?

The HYDRA candidate was pushed as being as close to an expy of Trump as Wilson could imply without actually admitting it.

Nah, don't be dumb. It may have still triggered you but it's not the same.

Best thing Marvel's done in years. Cry more mudshit

Got any more buzzwords to toss out as you attempt some pretty lousy damage control? Or are you finished? What's the point in lying about how obvious Wilson - through Kamala - has been about inserting strawmannish and dumbassed political invective into his comics?

I really don't get your guy's argument. Yes, the left likes to portray the right as nazis, but hydra is such a fantasy version of nazis, that the connection is tangential.
The guy they had running for major had a hipster haircut and was all about gentrification.

You cannot be this deluded. I refuse to believe the allegory sailed right over your head.

The push was for third party

The not!Democrat was ineffectual and worthless
The not!Republican was literally hydra

Kamala got everyone to vote third party.

Mickey isn't going to have anyone's head, if you think that wasn't Ike "I fought in the Six-Day War" Perlmutter's call, you're a fool.

You don't seriously think they would have stopped pushing her, do you?

I'll never understand how Disney can "own" Marvel yet seems to have no fucking control over what they do

anyone else find it ironic actual drones are now causing fights between Marveldrones?

If this couldn't get any dumber/weirder, Joe Quesada (Chief Creative Officer) is now pretending that he never heard of the thing before it was announced at NYCC

archive.is/eoc0z

Think of it more like parent and child. Some parents are strict, others are overly enabling

Disney typically go with a "benign neglect" attitude. They just let shit happen and the kids can grow at their own pace. It's only when the kid fucks up REALLY badly that Disney brings out the belt

That gave me a chuckle

>Kamala got everyone to vote third party.
Wilson: Go ahead! Throw your vote away!

>tfw Hydra takes over
Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos

I guess he would rather look incompetent than guilty.

Because Ike Perlmutter, the CEO of Marvel, is the third-largest stakeholder in the Disney corporation, and gets to do whatever he wants.

For the people that get to keep living their once cost of living skyrockets, never mind the damage it does to the culture of a place. God, I fucking hate living in Austin.

Except Inhumans would have sucked either way, and Captain Marvel stars Brie Larsen, who's a talented actress and a FUCKING DIME. Plus it's set over twenty years ago, so it's not really like they can insert her into all the other franchises.

The joke would have worked even better in Marvel's case had Kang won.

So the only way for Big Daddy Disney to take notice would be to say, make Peter Parker into a transracial black Jew, born again, atheist, pro-pedophilia, LGBTQABCEFGHIJKLMOPQRSTUVWXYZ that cuts shelf; which after watching their sales figures drop faster than bowling ball from the empire state building, would we see Disney say "Ya'll are fired"?

I mean a PR disaster large enough that it could fuck up the movie franchise.
If something were to happen to the comics, Disney would be vaguely annoyed at the loss of the Star Wars comics, but wouldn't actually care otherwise.

No because

But I thought Ike the Kike was all about getting that sweet dosh, This would actually DRAIN his bank account just to keep the company from going under. Is he that spiteful that he would actually finish himself off in the process, before he ever says i'm sorry?

Marvel makes plenty of money from merch, losing comic sales would not be the death of the company.

So you're saying that all of the characters, that were all written by someone else, who dedicated their entire life to build, mold, nurture, would become nothing more than soulless husks of zombie people, going through the motions, just so that tumblrina can take a selfie with a Captain Marvel figurine with a caption "lol so nerdy :)" just for them to throw it in the trash the next minute. Just as long as Marvel gets that sweet doll money?

Yes. That is 100% correct.
To push that point further - Perlmutter literally comes from the toy industry. Toys are his thing. Everything is about merch.

I've been thinking, maybe the thinking was, now that they had established Marvel as "with it" to all the radical SJWs, they could get them to side with N-G? Maybe?

You know, it's funny. We all say how Marvel is trash, how their comics are the end, and yet we still support them and Perlmutter by indirectly buying all of their figurines which now decorate our shelves, tvs, desks, and showing them off on this page, while at the same time abashing them. We're nothing but a bunch of hypocrites, aren't we?

I don't think Donald gives a single shit how Inhumans is doing.

Hey speak for yourself. I don't buy toys any more. I got over that phase when I bought like a dozen katanas as a young adult.

I am a man of many regrets

If everyone voted third party it wouldn't be throwing away your vote. People like you are exactly the reason third-party candidates never get anywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=rAT_BuJAI70

cmon man

>we all

Mmmm, no, no, that's just you. I don't buy anything from them anymore.

Well, I feel foolish.

You have to be 18 to post here

Pah! You capitalist sellout!
I never bought a floppy in my life, let alone a figurine.
And I cannot say I feel any particular need to adorn my room with ugly plastic or overpriced comics.

>Gentrification is often used/causes the pushing out of poorer minorities,
>poorer
>minorities
user, he said the *people* living there.

I hope you choke

>economists are pretty much universally of the opinion that gentrification objectively improves the lot of the people originally living there

what absolute fucking load. Heres a fucking hot tip, economists are lazy shits who never account for all factors.