What happened in season 3 that caused the fanbase to get so giant (and toxic)?

What happened in season 3 that caused the fanbase to get so giant (and toxic)?

Of all the seasons, it was probably the weakest, yet the fanbase soared in numbers during its run.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/results?search_query=rick and morty fenton allen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The wait time + women writers + meme sauce

Fans of Samurai Jack combined with the Rick and Morty fandom during that whole April Fools fiasco.

Better marketing. An increased juvenile audience. Word of mouth. Dickheads focusing their identity around it. Meme explosion.

precisely because it was the weakest. It sold out and made itself more palatable to normies after setting up a modicum of a following from having an identity. A lot of things do that, differentiate themselves strongly to hook a niche audience they use more as free advertising and prestige before they move into the phase where it gets heavily commercialized. Notice how much merchandise they churned out during this season compared to the last two as well.

>women writers

>muh pol
How about you go there

I don't think any part of the normie fanbase gave a shit about the women's writer thing. That only seemed a factor that enthralled fake blogger journalists and enraged some 4channers.

It's not like SU where people watch it/praise it specifically because it has diversity.

Are we talking about Sentient Pickle show or Magic Horse show here?

memes and reddit

Pretty much this. If Harmon and Roiland had gone "Moral Orel" Season 3 dark with "Rick & Morty" Season 3, the show would have alienated a good chunk of the mass audience it had gained. They had to hold back at least a little, and this is what cost them.

the fanbase started building up in season 1 and 2, then they started getting more people into it by the time season 3 started. the memes like pickle rick also got much bigger now.

i miss the days of season 1

It was like this towards the middle/end of Season 2 as well iirc, just not to the current scale. My guess is because the large break allowed the fanbase to grow

plus there were only 3 woman writer eps (though all but the one who wrote pickle rick were the story editors on the season)

Well what makes it appeal to normies/such a large group of people in the first place? That's probably the answer right there.

Ignoring the whole "pseudointellectual" thing that's been shiposted to death, it has the Pulp Fiction bug. People watch it and think the fast pace and all of its hypothetical scenario dialogue means it's smartly written.

>A lot of things do that
Interesting. Can you give further examples?

You guys are so edgy for watching this show. My grandparents DVR it. Do you guys wear diapers like they do?

Real nice counter argument you dumb bitch.

>What happened in season 3
the fans turned to shit in season 2 you dumb twink

Season 1 was full of direct references and pastiches of popular sci-fi films and the character dynamics were simple and almost stereotypical. S1 was the "normie" season; if anything S3 is closer to what Harmon and Roiland actually wanted.

>Dickheads focusing their identity around it
sad

Your grandparents are edgy?

The show is popular.

this. it was the highest watched season to date. Nobody cared enough to tune into the others. Firing the misogynists boosted the ratings

I just fucking love Rick and Morty, in the way that I fucking love
science. It's so random and cool - it's like the show was designed for
us Redditors, see? My mom says I have an unhealthy obsession with the
show, but she just doesn't understand how funny it. I wish I could live
in the Rick and Morty world and be their friends. Everything would be
really and cool and funny if I did. Rick and Morty are so funny and I'm
so awesome that it would make perfect sense, but it'd be even better if
Bernie Sanders appeared. It'd be so awesome I'd turn up the TV in the
common room of my dorm up all the way so everyone could hear the
greatness of Bernie Sanders, Ron Paul, bacon, weed, atheism, The
Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Sweden, Bill Nye, 90s cartoons, cats,
and fucking loving science.

I run the Rick and Morty Club at my school - we come together, browse
Reddit, make some Deadpool memes and watch Rick and Morty. We don't
talk to each other but there's a cute girl there I'm gonna try and ask
out. I'm a nice guy and I dress well (fedora + trench coat +
brown-stained underwear + well-trimmed beard lightly seasoned with dust
and corn syrup) so I just know I've got a good chance with her. I've
already messaged her on Facebook, I just haven't got a response yet.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: Rick and Morty! My favorite
character is Rick because his style of humor perfectly reflects that of
Reddit. I bet if I asked him "When does the narwhal bacon?", he'd know
EXACTLY what I was talking about. Also, did you notice he looks like
Bernie Sanders if you squint a bit and use your imagination? This can't
be a coincidence; MLG Illuminati confirmed. Yeah, that's right, I look
at montage parodies too. What good Redditor doesn't? Lenny face,
Illuminati, and Doge are so funny. If I met Rick and Morty I'd be sure
to show them all those funny and awesome memes and more!

Yours baconly, Atheist92

youtube.com/results?search_query=rick and morty fenton allen

the first 3 videos were trending for a good while, then szechuan sauce or whatever happened and here we are

Makes me glad I stuck with the pony fandom. Not giving these bandwagon shits the time of day.

I fucking hate memes. I really genuinely do. Rick screaming at a traumatized morty over a mcdonalds sauce was funny when it was a joke. And now that it's a meme that's shoved in my face every ten seconds I can't fucking watch it again without cringing. Why do people have to latch onto this shit? Why can't people just let a joke be a fucking joke and leave it?

You know it's gotten bad when the first thing I thought of when I heard "Stone Cold Steve Austin" wasn't "ha" but "this is going to be so annoying when people keep repeating in my face"

>direct references and pastiches of popular sci-fi films
Normies don't care about sci-fi, however.

No, Star Wars is not sci-fi.

globalisation = replace any cultural aspect of your life by a corporation brand. you don't "watch a show" anymore, you submit to the brand and enroll in its defense milicia. Same with where you eat, what music you listen too, and of course the most famous, what electronic toys you buy.
Internet safe spaces and controlled speech makes it extremely easy to achieve these days.

That's not even an original joke, tons of people already made it before.

The wait mostly, that it getting so popular that contrarians came out of the woodwork (like yours truly) to talk down to people liking it. What didn't help is the fans constantly young bathing the whole thing as a response to any criticism which in turn caused the contrarians to go harder analyzing the show far more than it needs to be (in most cases looking far deeper into it than any fan of the series).

Foe what it's worth I think the series is good, it has moments of depth but it's afraid to allow itself room to breath with the ideas so any moment of character growth has to either be undercut through bad joke or meta commentary. It would also help if the writers room can decide if it wants to do a more continuity based series or serialized week to week comedy because the half n half stuff isn't really working for me. But I'm just a fat guy in his underwear bitching about things that don't matter, let's let the professional fat people do their job