Over the garden wall may very well be the greatest show cartoon network has ever aired and they only made 10 episodes...

Over the garden wall may very well be the greatest show cartoon network has ever aired and they only made 10 episodes of it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X-0vZeaIrFg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are Pat Mchale and Thurop Van Orman doing these days?

Those facts are connected, user.

A challenger appears.

>only

It's a miniseries. It was exactly as long as it was suppose to be.

Actually it was originally 18 episodes, and when it was cut down some became intensely rushed (particularly the frog lullaby one).

literally just watched 4mins of the first episode, so is it worth watching the rest of the series?

That's part of why it's great. It had a story from beginning to end. It didn't have to say "Lets find ways to keep this story going" and then for a finale say "Ok, we got cancelled, make the last 2 episode sum up the entire thing!"

It's pretty great if you're looking for a simple clean beginning to end fairy tale like adventure. Perfect autumn atmosphere do you're pretty much at an ideal season to watch them.

Especially since the second the last episode involves Halloween.

Definitely recommend you watch the entire series. It's only 10 episodes and each one is 11 minutes long.

>It didn't have to say "Lets find ways to keep this story going" and then for a finale say "Ok, we got cancelled, make the last 2 episode sum up the entire thing!"
And yet that is EXACTLY what it did... unless you were being sarcastic?

No its not.
>villain sucked
>bird girlie sucked
>kid was either funny or annoying
>main protagonist had tard moments
Its a fine show but its not a 10/10. Not even fucking close.

No? Minus a couple episodes that mostly just established characters, it mostly all tied in to their journey pretty well. The only episode I think you could cut was the ringing of the bells, but with that cut it woulda been a bit more jarring of a jump from beatrice betraying them and Wirt being absolutely miserable in episode 8.

THIS
H
I
S

>bird girlie sucked
N-not completely!

But yeah it had it's flaws. It's still a wonderful little series that got more things right than it did wrong.

Pat is making a movie about Pinocchio (probably a sequel or a OTGW prototype) and I don't know who is the other guy.

Megas the greatest show?...

Oh men I would pay for these episodes.

I like this fandom, just cool guys with a great taste and almost zero fighting, why can't others fandom be like OTGW fandom?

OTGW a shit.

Unironically.

It's the greatest cartoon made by CN, without a doubt. Teen Titans is better but CN only aired it, they didn't make it (though I guess it still counts for purposes of this thread).

user... they were never made. The series was cut down before those ideas went into production.

Dude why are you so triggered?

Oh it's you again... The same faggot

You can buy the comics or read it online, they are supposed to be episodes of the original show and they were wrote for the author and they are completely canon, but remember, just the 2016 edition is canon.

>Teen Titans is better
When will this meme end? Just because the original Teen Titans was leagues above TTG doesn't mean it was actually good, it just means TTG set the bar abysmally low.

I need to get famous so that I can pitch my spiritual sequel to OTGW. It's a Western.

Tell us more about it.

Elaborate. Does it take its themes inspired by The Divine Comedy as well?

The other guy is the dude who made Flapjack.
There won't be more OTGW, but the comics are hit and miss and are still coming out.

Both worlds (the real one and the fantasy one) remind me so much of my home. Almost makes me homesick.

>TT
>Better than Johnny Bravo, much less OTGW
The delusion of capefags is unreal.

I'm not a capefag, in fact I hate most capeshit.

Where you from, user?

I don't have much since I don't actually have much beyond the basic concept.

But it follows a young boy in the Unknown, here a pastiche of the Wild West, as he traverses the landscape en route to a larger town deeper in the West. His animal companions are his talking horse and a desert lizard who tags along for reasons I haven't developed. The boy carries a gun that he doesn't use. He says he's saving his ammunition.

The primary twist comes in the boy's motivations, rather than the reveal that the Unknown is like a purgatory, which we already know from OTGW. Currently, I have it that the boy intends to use the gun against his mother's abusive boyfriend; in the real world, he comes from a large inner-city kind of place. He gets his hand on a gun from outside of
the city and makes the walk back home, stopping to nap in a graveyard with trees and shade. It's here that he ends up in the Unknown.

Like I said, I'd need more clout before getting anywhere with this concept. And even if I did have the clout, I'd definitely need to flesh out all of this more.

>villain sucked
Stopped reading right there. What a shit opinion.
Oh, it's this autist.

>Johnny Bravo
>not garbage
Fuck off, namefag.
You too fuck off and die.

Wait... what? Where is Wirt, Beatrice and Greg in this tale? We can't have a story about OTGW without them.

Fuck you, it's great.

Fuck you, it's sexist garbage.

Fuck off, faggot.
>terrible artstyle
>shitty humor and LE SAME GAG OVER AND OVER XD
You too fuck off.

Like I said before, it would be a spiritual sequel. Not a direct sequel, since that's McHale's story to tell, but it would essentially serve to expand the universe of OTGW and the Unknown.

Could Wirt/Beatrice/Greg show up? Certainly, though I wouldn't know how. I could see a descendant of Beatrice showing up in a saloon, perhaps, but I wouldn't know if she'd be anything more than a cameo. I would have had the desert lizard being the Beatrice of the story, so to speak.

Same gag that isn't funny in the first place, I might add.

Maine, lots of small towns, police who are bros and will mess with you for fun, weird small town fairs.

I have thinking in animate a...let's call it a fan-script about OTGW... I don't know anything about drawing or animation but I could try to learn if I recieve a good opinion about this huh... proyect.

Alright huh... We begins with Wirt and Greg hanging around with a human Beatrice in the forest. They are traveled to deliver a letter to her uncle but they have a week traveling because Wirt and Greg are trying to help anyone they meet in the path as part of a "campaing of cleaning to the Beast".

They found a village where the people are always scratching themselves, they have problems but when Wirt tries to talk with them they attack him and his group because they call him "The Beast". Later they found a Old Tower close to the village where is living a blond girl who is suffering because there is nothing to do in the tower and there is much fry chicken and she is tired of eat it.

Wirt and Greg are disposed to save her but they are attacked by Sir Johan a short blond guy who has practiced his intro twenty hours and his sword skills to defeat Wirt by 20 minutes. He thinks that Wirt is a monster who kipnad little children and seduce young ladies to take them to the forest.

Beatrice: "Do I look seduced?"

The main point of this story is that we don't know how all this happened and it seems like a comedy, but at the end of the huh... chapter? It's hinted that Wirt and Greg being again in the unknown is related with a "White Room" and an "Iron Angel".

So... what do you think?

But what is the point in a story based in OTGW if we don't have the main cast?

>I could see a descendant of Beatrice showing up in a saloon

user... no one wanna see it if this descendant is not Wirt descendant too. Truth be say that's how any fan of OTGW thinks, except maybe a little "progressive" few, it's... annoying? Is something that no one wanna see.

I'll put it like this: If you want to see Wirt, Greg, and Beatrice again, ask Pat McHale. Their story is his story to tell, and if I'm given ever given the chance to write a story in the Unknown then I'm going to respect that.

Ok. but you need to understand it, No one cares about Oc's. No one, trust in me I am the voice of the experience. If you are doing a story about this world but without the characters it feels like a leech story. Because it doesn't have anything to do with the original one.

Currently swamped with tourists in my small town because of fair, can confirm

Nice. I'm from the suburbs, so it's not exactly rustic, but the place I live still has a nice small-town feel

So I wouldn't advertise it as a direct sequel. Duh.

That's because it's a miniseries faggot.

I really like the idea, although it would be better as its own thing instead of a pseudo-sequel. Take the story and make it your own.

Also, how do so many people on here not know what a spiritual sequel is?

Because the show isn't airing anymore so isn't drawing in new people who talk about it too much then cause other people to get all buttmad about it and ruin the threads/community/whatever.

Most shows that have been off the air for a good couple of years have good communities because the only people left in them are the ones who actually cared about the thing in the first place.

It wouldn't be impossible to make it my own. As it is right now, it fits better as a spiritual sequel.

But thank you.

Or a story related with the Unknown, duh. Because it doesn't have nothing to do with OTGW or the unknown. But if you announce it how a story based in the same world everyone is gonna judge your story based in what they have seen in OTGW.

It could be like Digimon Adventure 02, the sequel that no one likes because it doesn't have the original cast like the center of the story but a bunch of new characters who no one cares about because they are all Oc's and people don't care about Oc's.

When someone is reading a fanfic no one want read about the self-insert of the writter, they just wanna see more adventures of their favorite characters.

>the sequel that no one likes
I beg to differ.

>a fanfic [...] about the self-insert of the writter
I strongly beg to differ.

If you want a fanfiction about the continuing adventures of OTGW, make your own.

And the story WOULD be based in the Unknown. It would just be in a separate slice, whether time- or space-displaced, of the Unknown that we know from OTGW.

>Take the story and make it your own.

If he do that then he would have that change the base of the story and he probably built it assuming that the audience knows beforehand how work one or more elements in the original story.

He would need change some things in the beginning but it's the best choice, after all this work has nothing to do with OTGW.

I'm not asking you to do it, but you published your idea in this thread and I have the right to analyse it or express my opinion about it. And that's because I am explained you why it doesn't work how a product related to OTGW.

>And the story WOULD be based in the Unknown. It would just be in a separate slice, whether time- or space-displaced, of the Unknown that we know from OTGW.

The point is that you don't need to do that, because your Unknown don't have anything to do with The Unknown of OTGW, and you aren't going to use the characters. Then... you are just using the idea that it is the Limbo and you don't need it to keep the continuity of your story, but if you keep it more than a spirit sequel it would feel more like... a plagiarism.

You need be more mature about the critics because if you become famous with this attitude in your head you could become in the new "Lauren Zuke".

The same guy... Oh I understand now, you are this guy too: You want the idea but you don't want the characters or the context because you "dislike the show" and you dislike the main cast, That's all.

>your Unknown don't have anything to do with The Unknown of OTGW, and you aren't going to use the characters.
You're acting as if nobody would understand that the show takes place in the Unknown because it doesn't feature the same characters. It's like saying that "10 Cloverfield Lane" doesn't work because nobody from the original "Cloverfield" movie appears.

>if you become famous with this attitude in your head you could become in [sic] the new "Lauren Zuke".
First of all,
>your
Secondly, now you're just trying to make yourself the straight man in a strawman fallacy.
Third, you haven't even offered any criticism other than "It doesn't have the OTGW characters and it's not in a Victorial picture book," or more succinctly "It's different; now it sucks."

I'm only the first guy in the four posts you quoted. Sorry, brah.
Good choice in gems, though. There's a reason "Lapis" almost rhymes with "best" if you say "best" like "bes" and "Lapis" like "Lap-pes".

>Victorial picture book

Confirmed, you are same fag.

Confirmed for not having been #blessed to live under a Victatorship.

You poor sap.

That concept is solid enough to guarantee a decent story. I really like the blend of childish situations with "I'm planning to kill my mother's abusive father" situations.

Didn't pretty much every character in fiction barring those based on real people start off as OCs, though?

The length was perfect. Any longer and it would have overstayed its welcome.
And my personal opinion is that:
If not for the revelation and twist ending, the series would have had been fairly mediocre. And the revelation/twist isn't a small thing either, it pretty much WAS the series. It's what tied all the seemingly disparate stories and characters together. It turned something that would've been a lolsorandum Adventure Time offshoot into a legitimate Halloween adventure.
Writing is important. And yes I also consider it to be the GOAT CN show.

Great show that captures the essence of fall perfectly. Voice acting is terrific on a few different levels. The story had great over arching themes with bits of comedy to break up the realistic emotional parts. The best part is that it did not overstay it's welcome. I usually watch it every October.

This guy gets it. This show only needed one season. It could have been a longer season with more filler but no more than that.

>villain sucked

That's one of the best things about the show you peasant

>His Singing
>His Voice
>His Deception
>His Motives
>His Appearance
>His Origin

na senpai this is the sorta thing you would hear in a early colonist's folklore, and on top of that, is actually a euphemism for deep shit in life

I could've taken a least a couple more episodes to experience a couple more adventures and world building. Like that one episode with the Vegetable-Man on his quest for love. It was pretty much another episode that they aired to hype up the show. it's on youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=X-0vZeaIrFg

This, I would have loved just a couple more nonsense episodes along the way to Adelaide or even after. I think one season is sufficient, the writing is great and ties everything up. But the world was so charming that I don't think it would have done a nosedive if you had another few episodes strung along here and there, just to portray more of the Unknown.

I'd had a story idea that I later realized was probably too similar to OTGW after seeing it, but didn't mind because the show is better than I'd have been able to do.