Never read Sandman, should I grab the newer releases with the recoloring?

Never read Sandman, should I grab the newer releases with the recoloring?

Ive been reading the recoloring and i constantly feel like im missing out on the original version

god that looks like shit

this is silent hill remastered tier

Where can I buy or dl the old version?

You can't. The remaster has replaced the original. I believe it was even remastered in the Absolutes. this was only done for the first 4 or 5 volumes I think.

>Comic gets recoloured
>It's worse every single time

Seriously, who thinks this looks better?

No one with taste, which is why it's such a pain when the original versions are next to impossible to find.

The recolor looks good what the fuck is everyone talking about?

It feels like their missing the point whenever they take a colorful page like this and give it as bland a recolor as they could. Whatever idea the original colorist is trying to convey is lost in the new version and that kind of sucks.
Also the 5th panel is just objectively worse, that gradient looks like shit.

I like how the limitations of old coloring techniques gave us some pages with a fantastic sense of mood

Like the recolor of Thor is "fine" but some pages are definitely for the worse

>shitty gradients
>muh "realistic colour palette" that's bland as fuck
>no flare or style that takes advantage of the medium
It's shit. I bet you're one of those faggots that prefers the right over the left here, too.

See, this is galling because they could have included all that blue in the original colours, but the actively chose not to because the washed out red and yellow palette gave a sense of like, Nostalgic Doomsday that's totally lost in the new version.

Don't just say "wow, pretty colors" -- actually look at how the colors work with each other. In OP, the colors are all over the place in the original, with very little sense of theme. The recoloring is objectively better.

At , the case can be made for either coloring. But the recoloring clarifies a nice symbol. In any case, Bolland is a weak colorist, and I don't think Moore gave any input, so it's no surprise that it's weaker overall. That doesn't mean that it couldn't have been colored differently to better effect.

By comparison, Gaiman and his pencillers was 100% involved with the Sandman recolors, which is why they're almost always acceptable quality.

left is new

Recolors are always dogshit. I can't imagine what issue 50 must look like with colors like this.

Killing joke got better and worse at the same time.

I like this one, even if the colors are a bit cold.

The original was a complete clusterfuck. The 70's Fantastic Four reprints also are way better than the original coloring.

Libgen.io is your friend.

obviously

as always limitations produce better art direction.

You can find the scans, but they are sadly lower resolution than for the recolors.

>The recoloring is objectively better.
It would be, if not for the gradients. Those were overused for a fairly brief period, which unfortunately was when the recoloring was done. Clean, linear, noiseless digital gradients didn't look good with classic comic linework in the first place.

DESU, on the right, the colors themselves aren't really the problem, it's the tones(toning?). There's more contrast going on in the left, and it legit looks more striking, intense, and dramatic.

(OP)
The recolor here makes the entire thing way more coherent, but oh boy, it's also really boring. And even though it isn't that apparent in this image, the light hits their heads way too hard.

>should I grab the newer releases with the recoloring
If you're willing to pay the price you better get the old ones. A Poorfag like me will have to get the recolors sadly.

>The recoloring is objectively better.
Nigga what?Yo taste is garbage.

>"""Realistic""" coloring no shit

Flex Mentallo Recolors are Okay.
I think it's a scheme to jew colorists out of money though. The people they pay to do recolors likely work hourly or at a low salary and won't get royalties while the original colorists probably have deals for the residuals. I dint believe the meme of "t-the original coloring was designed for newsprint, it won't look good on glossy paper!" How the fuck is bright colors gonna look bad on glossy paper?

Why didn't they use the same exact colors

Believe or not normies love this shit, check the amazon reviews of the sandman recolors, they are overwhelmingly positive.

The right actually gets the atmosphere and makes it look like a mystical scene. Maybe that circular panel in the middle should be a more neutral color but that's as far as I'd go calling it "all over the place". Left looks like a poorly color corrected modern film.
>Gaiman and his pencilers were 100% involved with the Sandman recolors
Why are you making shit up? Work for hire pencillers are never involved in the coloring process and if you actually think Gaiman took time out of his schedule to review thousands of recolored pages for DC you're retarded. I bet you think Gaiman owns the Sandman characters too.

jesus that recolor is awful. the mood is completely gone

Same with OP. If you see who is doing these recolors and their workload you will understand why. At least at Marvel it was 20-40 year old women with graphic design degrees and likely little passion for the comics judging by the shit they bought at the company overstock sales

both look like shit

I want to buy the old versions of The Sandman. Any kind user that tells me which is the cheapest way to do so? There is a lot of different editions and it gets confusing.

The Sandman recolour is still less horrible than the Miracle one so at least there's that.

>Miracle

I meant Miracleman and apparently had a fucking stroke.

Scouring LCS for the old trades is probably the best way honestly

First couple of editions of Sandman TPB are the ones with decent looking covers.

DC changed the covers to be god awful generic because they wanted it to appeal to anti comic book goths and shit

He's not making it up. Do you think honestly think Gaiman wouldn't spend time going through Sandman?

Jesus, the difference in this one is astounding.
>left
>light sources can be felt immediately without having to consciously look for it
>the tones and colors of the intense lights shower the characters like they would do realistically
>first panel has Batman closer to the background light source, properly showing him in a dim shadow
>last panel is Batman drawn in the pink light of the monitors, since they are the only source
>right
>"I learned illumination watching TV and I KNOW the characters must always be under a clear, white spotlight, no matter the scene"

>Believe or not normies love this shit
It doesn't surprise me, to be honest.
I know it's not Sup Forums but, people outside Sup Forums circles genuinely think the original One-punch man by ONE is shit, and believe only Murata (who is an amazing artist by all means) version is good. Normalfags literally can't understand what makes that series good, since it got already popular and acknowledged when it was only ONE creating it. They think it's all about Murata art and "lol, he's invincible and can beat all your favorite characters 1v1, so epic!!!!" It makes me fucking sick.
Most people can't understand why something is good or analyze what makes something click and function, so they just believe the current trend of what most people is saying "it's good" and use it as a guide to what to see.

Excuse my ignorance user. What is LCS?

local comic shop/store

Local comicbook Store, aka the place people buy floppy issues (singles)

>tfw that doesnt exist in your country

right and it's also less horrible then killing joke,which by defaults makes it like the best recolour.

>floppy issues

there's a pill for that.

He definitely made up the pencillers thing because pencillers get no input on colors even when the book is actually being produced.

A lot of online discussion happens because people cherry-pick cases like this, with the old color setting mood in a way modern recolor doesn't, just to sell a story (everything is shit now and they even shit on great old stuff!).
Haven't taken a big look on the recolor, but Sandman had generally abismally bad coloring.

Why do Gaimanfags hold Sandman as some sacred cow and assume he hinself jerks off over it as much as they do?

>I dint believe the meme of "t-the original coloring was designed for newsprint, it won't look good on glossy paper!" How the fuck is bright colors gonna look bad on glossy paper?
It does look different and not-quite-right, but it can be fixed with some simple adjustments as opposed to going full retard with gradients.

Holy shit is the one on the far right a real fucking thing?

The fact that these colorists can't get that different art nedds different colors is enraging

This shitty gradient shading ironically looks way more dated than either the one on the left or the one in the middle. Every comic colored/shaded this way looks like it comes from the mid to late 90s, no exceptions.

>there's "more information" so it's better.
That's the extent of their reasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if was on to something as well. The Star Wars Special editions were at least in part a book keeping loophole. Anything that's a "new production" has to recoup costs which allows the company to withhold royalties from people under "net royalty" contracts for longer. This is also why Lucas refused to release the old versions - he would have had to pay serious royalties off the revenue but as long as the new special edition was still "making its money back" he didn't owe David Prowse shit.

>Every comic colored/shaded this way looks like it comes from the mid to late 90s, no exceptions.
I think it was more late 90s to early 2000s, no? Mid 90s were grimier, dirtier lines and flat color.

Yes.

Digital coloring really took off with early Image in the mid 90's. Steve Oliff, who did the digital colors on Marvel's Akira, did a ton of work with Image on titles like The Maxx and Spawn that really helped make them look better than what Marvel/DC had.

The problem being that colorists across the industry were suddenly expected to change to digital and learn on the fly.

This is Steel #1 from '94 and it's one degree from being "awful 90's coloring." Gradients look sloppy, especially on skin, and especially when you're inconsistent in your rendering across multiple skin tones.

And Spawn #1 from '92. Also I love that Todd is still drawing spiderwebs.

usually its the writer, artist, and/or editor.

I have never been hired for a recolor. But, I do work on current mainstream titles. I can also say, every single time, I have tried to do emotive coloring, or surrealist, like the original example above, on the right. I have been shot down, by one of the above, and asked to redo the page using local colors.

Some colorists can get away with it. I don't 100% know the correct method. always work with the same editor, artists, writers? be famous enough, that you can overrule bad editorial second guessing?
A little of both. my work tends to jump around, working with many teams.

wtf.. that has to be a printing error.