What turned you into a fan of the DC universe and what do you love about it? For me...

What turned you into a fan of the DC universe and what do you love about it? For me, it's always been the history of the universe plus the weird and off-beat characters.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salu_Digby
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Where's that image from?
But to answer your question, I've kind of always been a fan since I was a kid. The characters seemed more varied and interesting, and there was this real sense of progression and history.

Used to watch the cartoons when I was a kid, then later on I figured out how to aquire real comics my backwater home country.

I like that many stories are a little "larger than life" and that the whole universe is so varied. Like, you've got straight up fantasy stuff mixed with aliens and somewhat noir detective stories all in the same universe.

I'm a fan of good comic books. DC has a few, so I read them.

Became a DC fan when I first watched BTAS. Been a batman fan ever since. Became a diehard DC fan when I started noticing all the autists and numales who enjoyed marvel and wanted to distance myself from those freaks

the batman arkham video games got me interested back when they first came out, so i got into new52 stuff and then started reading older better stories

I like their C/D-Listers. Animal Man, Question, Vigilante, Aztek, Etrigan, etc, etc.

Contrarianism.

Marvel gets the normie love, so when I decided to read comics I started with DC.

I've been a fan of both since youth, but cancer of S.J.W's on marvel's end is making me lean towards d.c now.

It's a saying that DC had in their books during the early 80's with new DC logo shopped in.

>Where's that image from?
A Legion cover from the 5YL era, given what Vi is wearing.

Actually, no wait. Just before the 5YL era. I think that's her post-Yera look.

Oddball and arcane Vertigo stuff, particularly Gaiman's.
Still don't care for their cap stories aside from a few select writers, usually on one-shots/Elseworlds.
Read a lot of their classic superhero stuff as a kid decades ago, never went back to it after reading Marvel. Can still appreciate homage stuff like Kingdom Come, zero interest in current Justice League.

I was going through a rough spot.

Immigrating to America (before Sup Forums freaks out I did so legally), I didn't really understand American values, everything was hard and I was getting really depressed. I started watching a lot of movies, lots of MCU stuff, then the DCEU (not a big fan of the DCEU). Saw Man of Steel, hated it, saw people get really mad and telling people that isn't the real superman. Asked what is, got recommended comics. I bought them. American Alien, All-Star-Superman, DC Rebirth Superman. I fell in love with it, I fell in love with the values of Superman, and I finally understood what it was like to be "American" I stood with Superman on the "American way". In many ways Superman was my gateway into assimilating to American culture. I've been reading DC Rebirth superman and Super-Sons ever since.

I grew up in a culture where heroes does heroic things and go on grand adventures, so I was doomed to be a Superfag from the get-go

>this dude

> TFW Under the Red Hood was your first dip back into DC outside of mainstream Nolan Batman movies.

I did watch the DCAU shows, but none of them made mention of Jason Todd except for an easter egg on Teen Titans i didn't notice. Learning about him just dragged me way deep into the comic lore of alot of the characters i watched as a kid.

The larger than life nature of the characters
The mythology
The history

New 52 scrapped most of the last two, so I don't really love ithe DCU as much as I used to.

When I was a lad, my dad had a decent Spider-Man collection from the 60's to late 70's(Amazing #28 - #187). I was hooked on them for well over 6 years, reading those and other Marvel comics I had cover to cover. Never bothered with DC stuff save for loose copies of Neal Adams Batman and some Deadman tie-ins

When I turned Twelve my Uncle had given me his entire bin of Action Comics (late 300's to #566). I was hooked instantly. For years I thought he was some sort of overpowered Mary Sue, but when he couldn't punch his problems away he used ingenuity and words as a workaround and always came out on top. Old Spider-Man is still the best, but getting into Detective Comics was a lot more alluring, moreso because their capes looked a lot more fun past the 90's.

Picked up some Alan Scott issues, more Neal Adams Batman, and JSA and it's all been uphill since.

>New 52 scrapped most of the last two, so I don't really love ithe DCU as much as I used to.
Rebirth fixed most of that and almost every problem people had with New 52, save for Harley Quinn still having two fucking ongoings and specials out the ass.

Old continuity didn't came back though. And there are a lot of characters that are still missing. What I loved was the Pre-Flashpoint universe. I still enjoy DC but I don't love it as I used to do back then.

My big brother only bought DC books so i've kind of never read a Marvel book.

I started with Marvel because I liked the characters. I searched through all their stories to find something well written or just something that was fun and I didn't find much.

Went over to DC and I was home.

We're still missing many events and the kind of outdrawn sense of history that the JSA and the Legion created.

If you could read only one superman book, what would it be?

t. batperson who's never read a supes comic

I mainly like the fact DC still knows how to do a super hero book work like a super hero book should work. Story focus, not treating diversity as Christ's second comming and mainly heroes being heroes.

What turned off my Marvel boner was the whole "we're a people's book, look how our characters are human like you and me" pushing the things. It's unbearable for a good amount of years now.

Basically, DC make me enjoy heroes being heroes, while Marvel abuses of their "imperfect hero" routine.

I'm new to comics. I've been reading them and learning about them over the last year or so. Since basically all of Marvel's book are aimed at woke tweens, and are obsessed with surface traits like race and gender instead of telling good stories... and since DC is publishing some excellent books right now with complex characters in carefully-crafted stories, like Mister Miracle and White Knight... I barely even visit the Marvel side of the comics store anymore. There's nothing there for me -- and, judging by the massive stacks of unsold books on the Marvel shelves, there doesn't seem to be a lot there other people as well.

Probably All-star.

But if you want to get into Superman there are plenty of other good Superman books that would probably be a better introduction to Superman.

Justice League the animated series.

the cartoons when I was a kid.

Same with Marvel.

I've always liked DC heroes since I was a kid, but I never actually read any of the comics, I was the kid that would only watch the cartoons and buy merchandise.
I didn't really start reading comics at all until 4 years ago, and it also helped a fucking bunch that my best friend during High School was a humongous DC nerd, he helped me quite a bit to get to speed on most stories.
But what really drove me over the edge, what finally got me to start getting into the comics was The Flash TV show, the first season to be exact. And now I'm a huge fucking Flash and Batmanfag.
Currently I'm buying little by little trades of golden and silver age stories.
And what is it that I love so much about DC? Well, it may sound cynical, but I love DC because Marvel just let me down tremendously after a while of reading their shit and I just needed something to pick me up and DC had the right kind of books I was into when that happened.

It might yet. I suspect that Doomsday Clock will result in (most) missing characters coming back (perhaps as they were) and everyone's memories of events/their past lives returning, while everyone stays a decade younger. After all it's been revealed that these are the same, physical, people, they just don't remember it and have taken a sip from the fountain of youth.

Pretty much this

Media hype, basically, although it paid off. I got sucked into the hype around Batman Returns/TAS at 9, then started reading those comics, when at the same time Superman died, and those books were great even without (especially without?) the title character, so I picked up some more DC tie-ins, including Mark Waid's Flash during the incredible arc The Return of Barry Allen (had no sweet clue who Barry Allen was, but I got the jist).

Boom, here I am 25 years later, with a room full of DC trades. The richness and depth of universe, and the actual evolution of many of the characters has kept me locked in, despite Identity Crisis and the New 52, although both of those had me considering packing it all in. There's always been at least 2-3 books that make me want to stick it out. Right now, New Super-Man, RHATO and Deathstroke (the latter two being characters I never thought I'd like) just goes to show that there are never-ending depths to that fictional universe. Anywhere that Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and Morrison's JLA and G/D/M's JLI and Robinsin's Starman and O'Neil's The Question can all co-exist is a world I want to keep coming back to.

My first DC comic was the New Teen Titans. I was reading a couple books from Marvel, X-Men and I think She-Hulk of all things, and NTT just jumped out at me. From there I think I started reading Green Lantern next, the sci-fi aspect was cool to me. And they published a comic called Arak which was really cool, I don't think it was DCU though. I don't know if I really knew the difference between Marvel and DC at that point, I was pretty young, but in the coming years I started getting more and more from both of them. I'm not much into the DCU anymore although I got into Johns' Green Lantern and the Red Lanterns and all that.

>RHATO

Where do I start? With the new 52 or Rebirth? I heard pretty bad things about new 52.

I lived in the UK till I was 10. At the time, there were two major TV providers, sky and NTL. NTL was cheaper, but didn't have Fox Kids, it had Cartoon Network and Boomerang. So, where I had been watching X-Men and Spider-Man TAS, I now had Teen Titans and JLU. I watched them occasionally, but I was sore that I couldn't watch my Marvel cartoons any more, so kind of didn't watch TT or JLU out of spite.
Didn't start to read DC until Marvel had become genuinely cancerous and so I switched to DC when Rebirth started, basically out of spite for Marvel.
I'm a spiteful kind of guy. But I ended up getting so much more invested in the DCU than I ever did for the MU, purely because of how much more resonant and enjoyable the characters are. Guess I missed that when I was a kid.

Start with the end of the New 52.

Rebirth.

N52 had it's moments, but they're in a swamp of shit. Rebirth has been pretty solid from issue #1. I'd say the annual with Nightwing is probably the weakest one produced. Also Bizzaro will quickly become your favourite character in it.

Johns teased they'd be coming back during the Doomsday Clock panel at NYCC

I enjoy world building, so I decided I would fall into the world of Marvel, DC or Starwars.

I was leaning towards star wars but TFA was a train wreck and I loved Flash season 1. I started pulling the comics and it went from there.

For me, there's always been a level of quality that Marvel can never match.

I'm also a much bigger fan of the characters and the world. The Universe, more than the cities but you get what I mean.

Reign of the Supermen. The four imposters got me curious and I loved the design of the Cyborg Superman and liked Superboy. So I followed both. Then the former turned heel, and blew up Green Lantern's city. Bought a few issues of Hal, and got bored. Then came back when I heard Hal snapped and it was just more interesting reading of Hal as the fallen hero who just wanted to use his great powers to undo the tragedy at any cost. From that I found out more of the new GL, Kyle Rayner and then I had two comics. But by the late 90s I was about done with Superman comics when No Man's Land hit. That was my entry into the world of Batman comics. After reading about the mysterious Batgirl, then Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake, and Two-Face's arc throughout it. I was hooked.

Supergirl premiers in 15 min.

DC line up for the rest of the week too. Hyped.

#TeamDC

Picked up some tpbs from the library when I was a wee lad, never looked back. Mixed in with the spider-man and x-men, I got to experience Morrison/kelly jla (for some reason my library never had waids run), war games/red hood/early Morrison batman, the original young Justice, and loeb/pre infinite crisis superman. Was it all “good”? No, but it’s what I grew up with and what made me fans of the characters, so I’ll always love those stories.

Fuck up, Callum.

I grew up with it, same as Marvel. I still read comics from both companies, but I lean more towards DC these days for obvious reasons.

Any recommendations for a good dc book running right now?

To continue, once I could distinguish between the two universes I think I liked how DC's universe was so broad, it had all these corners and facets to it. I liked Marvel's universe because it was relatively pretty concise, 80% of their stuff tied back to the X-Men, Fantastic Four or Spider-Man in some way. And since I loved X-Men and Spider-Man that was awesome. But DC's universe was so complex and all over the place, I liked that they had sci-fi books like Green Lantern, Legion and Omega Men and horror books like Swamp Thing. Both of which by the mid 80s Marvel was pretty much done with, Epic aside.

Deathstroke.

wow, I didn't know Kate Bishop jumped ship

I was reading alot of different stuff. Marvel, Invincible, various manga, and DC. I was pretty new to reading comics regularaly and before long I just saw what exactly I wanted in hero titles and DC had it.

Honestly, back before I knew much about pirating and how to find different sources, there was way more seeded DC stuff (complete collections) than Marvel books, and I read from there. Before that, I dipped my toes into Vertigo, and that's when I started reading comics.

Elseworlds.
I've always been enamored by the idea of alternate realities and them occasionally crossing over.

That said, I need to read more What If? from Marvel.
I've got What If ? #22, What if Doctor Doom were a hero, and 1608: The New Age.
Only Marvel books I've actually bought.

I was a Marvel kid.

Then I grew up.

I like the New Gods. Otherwise I don't read DC much.

BTAS and STAS got me hooked
4chins actually got me to read comics

>he grew up
>still reads capeshit

But all he does is spends time with his wife and wife's son.

DC does have a considerably larger body of mildly intellectual and genuinely artistic work than Marvel does though.

I grew up watching BTAS, I'm still mostly a Batfag even though I've read lots of other stuff from DC and Marvel

Marvel was better in the last 60s and early 80s, but DC has kicked their asses every other era. (In the case of the late 80s, they just stole all of Marvel's big creators.)

She would be a better character if she was at DC.

You mean that Shooter scared them away to DC.

The Batman: Arkham games. I used to prefer Marvel until those.

Mr. Miracle
Supersons

This is the second time I've seen some faggot on Sup Forums try to equate White Knight with Mister Miracle, in the exact context of comparing it to Marvel, and I can't imagine it's a coincidence. Why is your taste so shit?

New Super-Man.

All-star is soo fucking good.

Their willingness to do oneshots or short run series.

getting into Marvel is basically fucking impossible because it's all shit runs that lasted decades. You don't get the quality of something like Red Son or Dark Knight Returns out of them.

No, it's not a coincidence -- they're both good books.

the chaotic nature of it. Made of multiple unrelated franchises. How mythological it is.

That would probably go for every Marvel character right now.

The only thing good about White Knight was the art. The writing was garbage.

Eh, I've always felt that DC had better female characters than Marvel.

>The writing was garbage.

Do you want to make an argument or is this just you sucking your own dick and asking us to watch?

When all of the characters are written OOC as fuck just to force the premise, the premise doesn't work, Sean. Stick to art.

I really like some of the Marvel female characters. I think they 'got it' before DC did. Characters like Emma, Jean, Kitty, Dani were what drew me to comics in the first place. I think DC has much more women who are recognizable and can function outside a team though.

>OOC as fuck
The characters are all plausible variations of themselves. And since we don't know yet what Joker is up to, it doesn't make sense to say he's out of character. But all you're really saying, anyway, is you don't like the way Murphy portrayed the characters. That's not the same thing as the writing being garbage -- that's just you being salty. If you want to argue that the writing is garbage, talk about how the story doesn't arc well or the dialogue is bad or there's no climax or... something about the writing as a craft. Not just, "Stop liking what I don't like!"

As for the premise, it isn't forced -- everything is plausibly explained. There's even quite a bit of debate about the claims Joker is making. Not everyone believes him -- Gordon doesn't, half of Gotham doesn't. It IS out of character -- that's the point. Meanwhile, of course, White Knight does arc well. It doesn't feel rushed. It's self-contained but sets up the next issue. The dialogue is great -- you feel it when Gordon and Bullock can barely watch Batman pound the shit out of Joker. In fact, you feel all of the beats in the story. They all work.

>Sean
You made this same joke twice yesterday.

So, anyway, go fuck yourself for being such a dick for literally no reason.

I agree but I do think that Marvel has become a bit too reliant on relying on the X-Men when it comes to interesting women which is even more apparent with the Carol push.

Well I always liked Superman yet I never read an issue until that issue where he lost most of his powers. What made me a fan of the DCU was I saw a bunch of cool characters in characters in JLU and Brave and the Bold and I wanted to read about them. I guess what I like about DC is how diverse it is, there's a comic for almost everything.

I became a DC fan when I was still borrowing all the classic stories in trades at the library and the more DC I read, the more I liked what I was seeing and the more X-Men I read, the more I decided I was only into the street level heroes at Marvel

Imagine being so weak minded that you actually believe basing your opinion on what is or isn't popular somehow makes you smart.

How you can be a fan of a whole company?
Is that Hawkeye?

I grew up like any other kid in the late 90s to 2000s, watching saturday morning cartoons. Never had my dad around so it was hard for me and my mom a lot of the time. No money, no role model father, no stern look when mom was too tired to give one.

It was with the DCAU that made me realize I could have gotten a shittier hand at life, but regardless of the strife--they rose. And through that they rose by doing the right thing. That was much of a stern look I needed for my bratty life to change around. They didn't become a public enemy number 1, they didn't become hardened and gritty figures of "people with powers", they were people trying to save others. Not themselves. They wanted to save the world, against all odds they tried it--and better yet, they had succeeded. I had no father, so I found it in Superman. Clark Kent. Both the personas he had and the boundless desire to help. That was all I needed to see. That someone knew the world could be unfair, but it didn't have to be. You had hope. Hope to go forward.

Never believed in a god much, but when I see stuff like Superman trying to save the planet from a meteor to just taking a roadtrip with the family...it makes feel like I dont have to look up to find a collective good will. Just in a comic, we all want to do good--and Superman would be the greatest example of that good. I just need hope, kindness, sincerity, and the willingness to progress. We all do, that's how we deal with all this shit in the world. I can't see myself even being alive without that man with the big
He taught me a lot, but most of all....Truth, Justice, and The American Way. And sometimes a great big ol' Kansas farm helping of Hope

I think that's Shrinking Violet from the Legion of Superheroes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salu_Digby

Read DC hear and there as a kid loved Da Bat, but was a huge Marvelfag growing up. Get out of comics for 20 years. Come back, Marvel is meh, Ne 52 starts. I jump on, New 52 Bombs, Marvel gets worse SJW BS. DC Rebirth starts, I never looked back.

They go through some weird experimental phases, but they are super consistent, have some top tier characters and the best one off books.

Ollie talking to Hal about flying with his ring on and the responsibilities he has will always resonate with me.

>What turned you into a fan of the DC universe
The old cartoons. Batman, Superman, Justice League, that was what got me hooked on comics in the first place.

>what do you love about it
The history. All of the big characters have stories spanning back decades, and even the reboots haven't really changed most of them. Also, they haven't been as replacement happy as Marvel lately, so I can be reasonably sure that Batman isn't going to be replaced by Batwoman anytime soon; DC's happy having both of them for now.

Silver Age comic books. My parents were both big readers and they liked a wide variety of things, from pulp westerns to actual history books. They would get a variety of comic books from other parents and essentially do a barter/trade thing, and it had been going on even before we lived in the neighborhood, so the collection that rotated and got passed around including many older comics, Greatest Stories trades, 80 page giants, etc.
>turned

That was my introduction to comic books, and it's still a lot (comic book science, mad science, comic book logic, heroism/valor, evil people are evil, etc.) - the stack didn't have anything that wasn't silver age to about the late 1960s early 1970s, depending on the title.

I stopped reading comic books when I was in HS, and only started back up in college with things like Maus. However, the WB Animation (and I've always been a fan of all sorts of animation, from Looney Tunes to Anime) and a collection of modern trades got me back into it for the past six years, although I was reading more catalogue trades than on-going stuff up until Rebirth.

>love
I agree the history, the legacy characters, etc., all of that is a strong part of the appeal

Pic related.

Also The Batman

All-Star stopped me from killing myself.

I'd liked DC cartoons for awhile was especially fond of Teen Titans because I watched it as it came out. Read info on websites about the comics, ultimately took the plunge and bought Crisis and been a big DC fan ever since

Seconded. I never cared much about comics until I was introduced to this guy which resulted in introducing me to the DC universe.

Third. Coolest character ever

>implying contrary=smart

one story.

"What's so funny about truth, justice, and the American way."

it made me rethink my views of DC and optimism in general.

does it rhyme with rason rodd??

>DC makes good cartoons and comics
>rocky film line up

>Marvel makes terrible cartoons and comics
>successful film line up

Is Marvel Sup Forums more than Sup Forums these days? What causes this disparity?

I like that you said successful, which doesn't mean good.