What would save the comic industry?

What would save the comic industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pspna5GZwBk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sales

WRITERS AND ARTISTS WHO GIVE A FUCK!

Give me artwork that's stunning! Give me stories to care about! Don't give me the rushed art of Squirrel Girl and the pointless stories of Bendis!

AND FOR GOD'S SAKES, LOWER THE PRICE!!!

That would make you happy, but would it really bring in customers? Would a better quality product actually lead to ?

Because there are loads of great comics put out by companies other than Marvel and DC... and nobody's reading them either.

For starters, let old unpopular IPs fucking fade away and die and make up some new ones.

Let the new IPs be handled by one or two people.
No more of this bs of allowing several writers do whatever the fuck they want to a character and their stories.

print only in black and white to save money and time.

At this point, they've have to fire everyone, do a complete restructuring and 180 on their market views and the way they handle comics.

Mass summary executions

Good art would equal good sales

Diamond must be kill. Probably this alone wouldn't solve everything, but it needs to happen.

Full nudity

DC runs both comic book divisions and Marvel makes the movies. TV shows canceled forever

Failure is the only thing that will promote reforms or improvements.

Lootboxes and microtransactions

I think cape comics need to dominate less for comics to grow. I recommended my sister read Clean Room by Gail Simone, and she said "Comics are a bit juvenile."
>she's a dumb normalfag
Yes, she is, but we need dumb normalfags to read comics if we want to save the industry. Most women don't like capeshit, but if that's 90% if what they see when they go to a comic store, they'll dismiss the medium entirely. Manga is much better in this regard when it comes to diversity of genres

This, I like cape comics but it hurts growth among normies because they see it as kiddy shit

>Neil Gaiman
>American

>Good art would equal good sales

I mean just looking at the comixology top sellers shows this is wrong, what sells is brands.

No one is buying Walking Dead because Charlie Adlard is their favorite artist

Batman will always sell, even if it's drawn by a walking joke like Mikel Janin

Art is my #1 factor in supporting a comic, if I think it looks like shit I pass, end of story. But comic sales are driven by fans more than readers, they just want what they already know.

stop taking legacy characters and changing their race/gender/whatever for the sake of "diversity" create new original characters if you want to represent some minority

Make all comics about Batman.

Nothing really, it has little to no growth among younger groups and the old groups will die out.

more feminism, more SJW, more virtual signalling, let's push it to the limits and see what it happens!

Nothing. Fuck the comic industry.

Literally can't be any worse than the last sixty years of different flavors of the same old shit.

Unironically, this is the answer.
Let it crash and burn and die, eventually new artists and audiences will rise up from the ashes.
Comics, for better or for worse, will end up having to go thru a rebirth.

Just let it fucking die.

People don't want to buy 12-page issues once a month, they want an entire fucking novel in drawn form.

"The comic industry" can go to hell. Focus on graphic novels instead. That's what people give a shit about. If someone wants to incrementally watch a story unfold they'd just read a free webcomic, at least it'll occasionally update twice a week.

That's honestly why webcomics and other web based media exploded when they did- not that there wasn't a demand for those kinds of comics, but because that was the only way for people to read them.

Holy menstruation man, hope you are trolling!

The death of infinite capeshit and the rise of shorter, more self-contained stories.

Crashing this industry.... WITH NO SURVIVAHS

All of the non-American creators featured in that picture, and that's the only one you point out? ffs, Tank Girl is in that image and it's not even an American comic, whereas those Gaiman comics were published by DC.

Neh, I said let it die!

youtube.com/watch?v=pspna5GZwBk

Do you actually have any idea how much fucking garbage has come out in comics in that time? Fucking Christ time to give someone else a chance.

Crash it with no survivors

just copy manga

how hard can it be to make western cute girls doing cute things cutely?

A reasonably priced digital distribution service that can provide high-quality, same-day as release scans. Piracy has it, no reason they shouldn't.

It's 2017, people are miserable and broke as fuck, it doesn't matter how nice they are people aren't going to bother trying to keep up when to get the whole story you're going to have to be spending 10s of dollars a week on stuff you'll read in 10 minutes and probably never touch again. Start rapidly scaling down the production of ink and paper comics, they're a dying medium. The collectors will still get it and their shit will be more collectable so they'll be happy, and the reduced money can be pumped into the digital format most people would actually read.

A good start would be to pick those floppies up and clean them off. Who left those comics on a beach and who carelessly walked over them?

ditch the multiverse continuity reboot nonsense.

just let writers and artists make stand alone stories over 12-24 issues.

should make it easier for new readers to get into comics. since they can just start with issue 1 of any title and not have to worry about shit that happened in other books.

Market research:

White adult males are no longer marvel's target demographic, but they are by far, the largest market demographic. Listen to their complaints and appease them.

Actually take a look at the SJW and see if they're buying the books. If they aren't stop trying to appease them. If they are, move characters like Moon Girl, Ms. Marvel, and Squirrel Girl, into their own imprint, so that the comics make it clear who they're targeting.

Lower price. Even if that means printing on cheaper paper and ink, get comics back down to $2 an issue.

Less comics. Marvel is eating itself with so many new comic titles every month, it's impossible to follow them all.

Bring back anthology comics. Give new writers and artists a chance to write new or less popular characters in stories that are 10 pages a month. Have 4 stories in each title, that's $4 a month for a 40 page issue.

Promote smaller titles and characters. Give more ads to them, have more giveaways for shops.

Each writer for Marvel or DC, has to pitch several storyarcs for a character before taking on a title. Once those stories are done, they are off the title. (The exception to this rule is if the writer helped create a new character.)

Make older comics more available. Kirby's work at Marvel, everything Stan Lee wrote, Chris Claremont's X-Men, all need to be easily available for new readers, since so much of Marvel was build on the foundation of their works.

>loads of great comics
Lol

Kill Marvel and DC, make all of those IPs free to use by all. That's all you need.

Just because DC/Marvel fanboys aren't reading them, doesn't mean others are not.

The problem ultimately is that the big two poisoned the well by catering and doubling down to the worst, most toxic parts of thier own fanbases for nearly thirty years and have only fairly recently realized that those sales lose when those readers die or drift off aren't being replaced. Comics as a whole from the Big two are not for new readers, and outreaches to get more are hilariously ineffective. So fuck them- they did this to themselves, and honestly it trickled out to the rest of the comics market in the US.

That would hold true only if the rest of publishers wouldn't be publishing just as bland products.

If it burns I doubt there will be a resurgence of new physical comics. We will enter the age of shitty indie webcomics for the foreseeable future.

Me. put me in charge of the comic industry.

Are you Jim Shooter?

Comics will always be around, just not in it's present form (dominated by capes, 2 real publishers and indies, Diamond, etc). Internet comics will take their place, maybe as pure passion projects because no one has figured out how to make webcomics work financially unless they're gag-a-day, fetish pandering, or backed by a gimmicky patreon. But as long as there are artists out there who want to tell a story, they'll put out comics.

If you want to save the comics industry, as it is, then quite frankly the answer is easy: comics have to be made cool again. Pandering and virtue signaling and such obviously isn't working, but even if it did it would only appeal to millenials. You need to make new fans from young children, and to do that you need to compete with iPads, shitty Youtube LPers, and so forth. It always astounds me how Marvel (read: Disney) and DC (read: WB) have the means and the potential to start marketing initiatives to save comics but they just don't care to. They're so short sighted in their vision of "MOVIES/FRANCHISES/MONEY NOW!" as opposed to keeping comics to farm from in the future. Maybe they know the Franchise Universes are fads and are only riding the wave as long as they can, but I doubt they're that self aware.

In any event, it's really not hard to make comics cool again. Bundle a free comic with every movie ticket sale (make it a download code people can view on their phone if they don't want to print copies) that they can read while they wait for the movie. FORCE actors to pretend to read the comic book source material in their tweets, like they're contractually obligated to make media appearances. Have them mention comic books and how much they love them (even if it isn't true) when they go on normie talk shows. Come on, you know Disney/movie studios owns everything they say when celebrities go on those shows. Begin the corporate indoctrination of comics.

Or just let it fucking die. Cape books suck anyway.

great post

all of these are good ideas

Well then by definition they wouldn't be indie anymore so...good?

>Alias
>BPRD
>Atomic Robo
>Doktor Sleepless
>Hellblazer
>Hellboy
>TMNT
>Swamp Thing
>The Shadow
>Sandman

>Non-superhero

Are you fuckin' kidding me?

I mean you might have them with Swamp Thing and Hellblazer, but most of those in your list aren't capes in the slightest. I mean and they are actually good...unlike cape comics.

Fuck comics, actually.

Let go of capeshit, embrace other genres. Same with western animation, really. Most things shouldn't have to be sitcoms

Well, since the Big Two essentially own the industry...

* Embracing genres other than capeshit
* Embracing standalone stories with set beginnings and endings rather than long-ass continuity-snarled comics with arcs that last for years/require encyclopedic knowledge of continuity to follow
* Hiring a creative team and keeping them on their given books until the end
* Better distribution, physical and digital
* BETTER. FUCKING. ADVERTISING.

Get a brand popular with children, put a great creative team behind it, put the comics in a place the kids or their parents will see it without having to enter comic book store filled with weirdos, advertise less known properties in the more popular ones.

Death.

Drop the capeshit, people are burnt out on it

How exactly do you define "save"?

Does it mean keep print comics alive? Keep comic shops alive? Keep legacy fans? Create new fans?

The only thing I am sure of is that keeping the status quo is wishful thinking at best.

>virtual signal
Nani