September Comic Sales Breakdown

Other urls found in this thread:

community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?102125-Retailer-Fury-At-Marvel-NYCC-Panel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sup' Ferg? Prepare for Prof.Warren, Tiamatty, MOSAIC'S SUPERSTAR CREATOR and all the Snowflakes to tear you a new one.

The worst part is that I didn't even make any claims. They're just gonna look at the stats and assume I have an agenda.

community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?102125-Retailer-Fury-At-Marvel-NYCC-Panel/

I was looking at this and Username Taken was saying this:

> Gillen's run that preceded Tom Taylor's Superior Iron Man was selling less than Riri Williams as Iron Heart (a fact that some people have tried hard to ignore). .

Well here's Gillen's run:

11/12 Iron Man v6 #1 - 116,529 (+215.1%)
11/12 Iron Man v6 #2 - 72,902 ( -37.4%)
12/12 Iron Man v6 #3 - 59,041 ( -19.0%)
12/12 Iron Man v6 #4 - 56,708 ( -4.0%)
01/13 Iron Man v6 #5 - 50,899 ( -10.2%)
02/13 Iron Man v6 #6 - 46,206 ( -9.2%)
03/13 Iron Man v6 #7 - 44,040 ( -4.7%)
04/13 Iron Man v6 #8 - 43,974 ( -0.1%)
05/13 Iron Man v6 #9 - 78,006 ( +77.4%) (Secret Origin of Tony Stark, multiple variants)
05/13 Iron Man v6 #10 - 45,424 ( -41.8%)
06/13 Iron Man v6 #11 - 44,409 ( -2.2%)

And here's the Ironheart run:

11/16 Invincible Iron Man # 1- 97,713
12/16 Invincible Iron Man # 2- 81,271 (-16.8%)
01/17 Invincible Iron Man # 3- 44,184 (-45.7%)
02/17 Invincible Iron Man #4- 36,600 (-17.2%)
03/17 Invincible Iron Man #5- 38,746 (+ 5.9%) (Venomized Iron Man variant)
04/17 Invincible Iron Man #6- 31,561 (-18.5%)
05/17 Invincible Iron Man #7- 28,266 (-10.4%)
06/17 Invincible Iron Man #8- 33,428 (+18.3%) (Mary Jane variant)
07/17 Invincible Iron Man #9- 30,128 (- 9.9%)
08/17 Invincible Iron Man #10- 27,675
08/17 Invincible Iron Man #11- 34,015 (Venomized Doom variant)

I suppose he might be trying to compare Gillen's final issues with Bendis' opening issues which is kind of meaningless.

They're acomin'. Aaaaaany second now. Warren's just jacking off to his own genius while writting his thesis on "ACKTUALHY, yer wrong".

Top Kek. It's as if they think people can't go to ComiChron and check for themselves. They really are delluded little buggers, aren't they?

CBR usernames?

For the hell of it, here's the rest of Gillen's run.

07/13 Iron Man v6 #12 - 40,405 ( -9.0%)
07/13 Iron Man v6 #13 - 39,534 ( -2.2%)
08/13 Iron Man v6 #14 - 38,137 ( -3.5%)
09/13 Iron Man v6 #15 - 36,346 ( -4.7%)
10/13 Iron Man v6 #16 - 35,924 ( -1.2%)
10/13 Iron Man v6 #17 - 39,047 ( +8.7%)
11/13 Iron Man v6 #18 - 36,135 ( -7.5%)
12/13 Iron Man v6 #19 - 32,537 ( -10.0%)
01/14 Iron Man v6 #20 - 30,533 ( -6.2%)
01/14 Iron #20.INH - 30,512 ( -0.1%)
02/14 Iron Man v6 #21 – 29,546 ( -3.2%)
03/14 Iron Man v6 #22 - 29,017 ( -1.8%)
03/14 Ir. Man #23.NOW - 43,912 ( 51.3%)
04/14 Iron Man v6 #24 - 31,257 ( -28.8%)
05/14 Iron Man v6 #25 - 29,558 ( -5.4%)
05/14 Iron Man v6 #26 - 28,654 ( -3.1%)
06/14 Iron Man v6 #27 - 28,290 ( -1.3%)
06/14 Iron Man v6 #28 - 28,027 ( -0.9%)

Note that it took until after #20.INH for Gillen's book to go below 30,000. Looking at Bendis' run so far it took until #7 to go below 30,000.

Another thing to remember is that Iron Man was $3.99 during Gillen's run, too, so there was no price change between Gillen and Bendis.

Heh, that's golden. Why are you not posting it as a response to UT? Take him/her down a peg or two.

And for completion's sake, here's Superior Iron Man by Tom Taylor:

11/14 Sup. Iron Man #1 - 83,994 ( 199.7%)
11/14 Sup. Iron Man #2 - 42,621 ( -49.3%)
12/14 Sup. Iron Man #3 - 38,806 ( -9.0%)
01/15 Sup. Iron Man #4 – 38,515 ( -0,7%)
02/15 Sup. Iron Man #5 – 35,094 ( -8.9%)
03/15 Sup. Iron Man #6 – 37,113 ( +5.8%)
04/15 Sup. Iron Man #7 – 34,440 ( -7.2%)
05/15 Sup. Iron Man #8 – 32,006 ( -7.3%)
06/15 Sup. Iron Man #9 – 33,989 ( +6.2%)

and when Bendis first took over Iron Man for the All-New All-Different launch:

10/15 Invincible Iron Man #1 - 279,514
10/15 Invincible Iron Man #2 - 66,664 (-76.2%)
11/15 Invincible Iron Man #3 - 59,069 (-11.4%)
12/15 Invincible Iron Man #4 - 57,639 (- 2.4%)
01/16 Invincible Iron Man #5 - 49,225 (-14.6%)
02/16 Invincible Iron Man #6 - 63,234 (+28.5%) (War Machines) (I think this was also Riri's first appearance so there were reorders)
03/16 Invincible Iron Man #7 - 57,972 (War Machines) [+6,224]
04/16 Invincible Iron Man #8 - 46,520 (War Machines)
05/16 Invincible Iron Man #9 - 49,334 (+6.0%) (CV2)
06/16 Invincible Iron Man #10- 49,141 (- 0.4%) (CV2)
07/16 Invincible Iron Man #11- 49,439 (+0.6%) (CV2)
08/16 Invincible Iron Man #12- 50,571 (+2.3%) (CV2)

CV2 is supposed to be Civil War 2 tie-in. I don't know why Xavier Lancel used CV2 but whatever.

I don't post on CBR. I don't even remember if I ever made an account long before the board purge. Went there years ago and found the Marvel boards kind of unbearable because people were willing to defend stupid things like OMD and whatever. I do sometimes browse it, but it's maybe a few times a year.

I know some people on Sup Forums post there so that's why I'm posting info here.

And of course, if you need sources, it's Comichron, and the Sales Analysis pages on Comicsbeat.

I've seen some example of those extreme fall in sells between issue 1 and 2 like here with Invincible Iron man. Peter Parker Spider-man for example.

Is that some kind overshipping shenanigans or is it that the readers hate the story?

>I don't post on CBR.
Ah,okay. I thought you were Ferg, because he posted the OP Image on CBR.

>Is that some kind overshipping shenanigans or is it that the readers hate the story?
It's #1. That's it. People think it'll become a collectors item.

He's not OP. I'm Ferg.

Who are you?

Pffft, like I'm gonna spill it. Your mistake was posting the CBR thread and starting one here at the same time. You should've left a time-window between the two.

>It's #1. That's it. People think it'll become a collectors item.

Maybe. But compare to others it seem to normal with a fall of almost 50% after issue 1. A crash down to a forth must mean something else.

The numbers for number one in those cases are extremely high.

compare

God damn it.

>CBR transfers to Sup Forums

>it took shithumans to taint Gillen
of course

What did I tell you? Bor's already there disregarding the list. Why do you have an agenda Ferg?!

To be fair, Gillen's run wasn't that good to begin with, but it was miles better than Bendis'. Funny how a more "high-profile" writer with 2 relaunches managed to make Iron Man sell less than an indie darling.

Aaaaaaaaand like clockwork, Warren's there to defend his Companyfu's HONOR!

Here comes Prof. Warren!

It's okay, Kintor and I will take them down.

Funko included Invincible Iron Man #1 and Peter Parker #1 in their subscription boxes.

>It's okay, Kintor and I will take them down.
You'll never take them down, because they'll never admit defeat. I just hope they're shills, rather than simple fans, because I dread the idea that there are people so braindead.

despite dragging CBR gayness into here, this is oen of the better sales charts ive seen. nice work.

How does it change if you do it by "money made" though? all of Marvel books are 3.99 if not more while DC still has a ton of 2.99 books no?

You have to sell a shit ton more 2.99 books than 3.99

When whill Marvel finally go bankrupt at this rate?

Man, this was and AMAZING job. I finally understand why Marvel keep on winning month to month despite having anemic sales!

Seriously , thanks for posting this

Why is GOTG selling so low?

Because DnA aren't writing it anymore.

Relaunch fatique and double shipping.

Marvel banked on Bendis making it into a franchise, and then haphazardly threw mini-series after mini-series at us, expecting it to become something huge, like the movies, but in the process eroded the fandom.

>DC is outselling Marvel while putting out less content
>Marvel is shipping shovelware to retailers that they never ordered to boost their numbers

Jesus Christ.

#1 sales are artificially inflated due to variant cover schemes as well as loot boxes and "order 150% of the #1 of X to get variant cover or a discount on popular title Y".

It's a great question actually, which I'd like to figure out, but I really don't have another hour on my hands right now. However, I did figure out the top 25 DC/Marvel comics, by "money made," excluding Star Wars and events.

1 Batman 30 $2.99* DC
2 Batman 31 $2.99* DC
3 Action Comics 987 Lenticular Ed. $3.99* DC
4 Action Comics 988 Lenticular Ed. $3.99* DC
5 Amazing Spider-Man 32 $3.99* Marvel
6 Teen Titans 12 $3.99* DC
7 Astonishing X-Men 3 $3.99* Marvel
8 X-Men Gold 11 $3.99* Marvel
9 Old Man Logan 28 $3.99* Marvel
10 Mighty Thor 23 $3.99* Marvel
11 Detective Comics 965 $2.99* DC
12 Runaways 1 $3.99* Marvel
13 Weapon X 8 $3.99* Marvel
14 Mister Miracle 2 $3.99* DC
15 X-Men Gold 12 $3.99* Marvel
16 Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man 4 $3.99* Marvel
17 X-Men Blue 11 $3.99* Marvel
18 Detective Comics 964 $2.99* DC
19 Spider-Gwen 24 $3.99* Marvel
20 Flash 30 $2.99* DC
21 Flash 31 $2.99* DC
22 Nightwing 29 $2.99* DC
23 Suicide Squad 26 $2.99* DC
24 Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows 11 $3.99* Marvel
25 Justice League 28 $2.99* DC

Bendis/Marvel also pissed off the older fans of the franchise while failing to grab noobs.

The xmen aren't selling great but they ate better off than the rest of Marvel as far as ongoings go. Why do Avengers books sell like trash?

Prof. Warren is either a paid shill or the most pathetic Marvel zombie on earth. There is being a fan of a company and fellating that company so hard it shut off the air circulation of your brain. It's hilarious when he shits on other Marvel fans' wishes, yet you just know he'll slobber all over Marvel's cock if they did anything people suggested.

>Mark Waid
>legacy heroes
>politics

I really hope he's not just a fan. He makes me lose hope in humanity.

Forgot to mention
>Shitty arcs (outside Pymtron) making the books even more boring than you'd expect.

The Avengers are the most casual brand of superheroes outside Batman right now and have been since the first movie in 2012.

Embarrassing to not be able to capitalize on that in comic form.

Because the roster and scope of the book is utter shit.

An hour? Dude, that information is on comicron . Just click the button and search for dollars share instead of.units

They don't list everything out in order of dollar share though. I would have to multiply ever issue's units by their price in order to see how much each issue made.

>Mighty Captain Marvel 13,724
>America 9,137

>Marlel has 25 ongoings selling below 20k
>DC has only six
That's some market share Marvel has.

but online numbers we're never going to give you and stuff

Marvel seem to be living of special events and higher prices. They have hardly no continuity that are holding up.

I guess their higher prices is the reason why they can have so many comics with under 20k and still keep going. In combination with their schemes against the stores that force them to buy shitty stuff.

cutting out events is like cutting Marvels balls off lol

thye are trying to "win" by simply flooding the market

Yeah your comparison stats are great but the real thing to remember is that the recent stuff is written by Bendis a/k/a Marvel's biggest writer who gets all the press and promo.

There were tons of people who picked up Iron Man for the first time on a regular basis because "Oh now Bendis is on it, so it must be important." I'm one of them. I bought it. And I've barely liked anything Bendis did in the last decade. But it was Bendis, so I bought it for a good year and a half. Compare that to a previous series that didn't have a top-shelf marketable creative team?

They marketed Riri like crazy when she came on. And look at the sales. This was supposed to be Marvel's big new thing and the focal project of their #1 writer.

That's like asking when a welfare bum will go bankrupt. He gets his living money from Disney every month.

I guess so but jesus christ imagine being a '90s kid and seeing that Wonder Woman (relaunched a year ago) is outselling X-titles released 6 months ago. And WW didn't even get a big bump from the movie or anything. We're just living in a world where X-titles fell that far due to Marvel fucking around with the brand for so long.

Jesus. CBR. Its a fucking cesspool. The endless stream of that redjack asshole calling everyone who didn't like his shitty mosaic book bigots. so fucking laughable.
Deadman + Basketball black guy fantasy + inhumans. Who the fuck is your audience for that?

Tried to read a CBR thread earlier ... how do people become so delusional

What really strikes me again is how Marvel is just ruining their brands again and again every month. Brand confusion and salting the earth and they don't really seem to understand what they're doing.

>Totally Awesome Hulk
>Hulk

Both titles sell terribly and neither one is anything resembling a normal Hulk book. They're both gimmicks. From now on you won't be able to release a "Hulk" book without there being apprehension on the part of all prospective customers. "Okay, is it a real Hulk book, or is it """"Hulk""""?" I know this is nothing new but just seeing both books down there under 20k kills me.

They've fucking ruined it so bad, man. The GotG sales are absolutely pathetic, and yet they're still trying to run that brand like it's a franchise with a half-dozen spin-offs. They're treating GotG like it's X-Men comics in 1990.

How can you fuck up brands this bad? It's like they've never learned anything. I can't think of any mistakes they're not making.

Was Disney buying Marvel the start of all of this or is it the SJW who took over

I'm going to laugh when the new sonic comic starts outselling Marvel

Neither. Marvel is controlled by the marketing department since Ike took over and they used all of their tricks like variants so much that they stopped working.

>New Super-Man

IT'S NOT FAIR

One of their biggest fuck-ups is giving books like GOTG or Black Panther dozens of spin-offs which just leads to the books cannibalizing eachothers sales.

Marvel crashing the industry might be a good thing in the long run

Politics overriding business sense at Marvel. The only books consistently selling are based on nostalgia and little else. Then some of the nostalgia is tainted in other franchises due to confusion.

When Sam was Cap, it at least had his name in the title so you would know him from Steve but Hulk is She-Hulk, Thor is Jane Foster, Iron Man is Riri Williams, and that shit creates confusion. Wolverine is Laura McKinney, Hawkeye is Kate Bishop on and on.

If you're a casual, how are you supposed to know the difference? That's a problem even before you start talking about the creative for the book.

Their marketing politics and insisting on smudging the brand names is will make it difficult to regain traction for those brands.

If a book/character fails, it's better to fail on it's own than to drag the brand with it.

Marvel is obsessed with creating "families" like DC has without noticing that no one really cares about those family books outside Batfollowers.

So one of DC's worst ideas is something Marvel wants to steal for Spidey, BP, Iron Man etc.

Thanks for doing the work on the breakdown, man. Can I ask a favor? If you do this next time, can you also provide the average of each line (Star Wars, Imprints, etc.) on the side. It'd be nice to be able to quickly see the overall health of each line quickly.

Yea, that's a good idea. I don't think I'm going to mess with September's again, unless I'm real bored one of these nights, but I'll keep that in mind for October's.

>can't wait to see how the shills try to defend the legacy relaunch.

Marvel will have an uptick in October due to the lenticular scam. November might be funny cause they don't have events to inflate sales.

I'm sure they'll come up with some excuse
When are the shareholders going to see through Marvels schemes

Good job. If you're going to do another breakdown you should move Star Wars down to the imprint section and the Marvel minis down to the DC minis section. That way you can quickly compare things that are largely equivalent. Sorry, I do scientific research and have to present spreadsheets of data constantly so it's a force of habit.

I also want to compare Legacy's first month with Rebirth's. That will be very... enlightening.

The problem is also that they replaced all these characters at the same time. Rhodey as Ironman, or John Walker as Cap or Frog Thor happened years apart from eachother. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with Sam!Cap, Jen doing a Banner-style Hulk story or X-23 as Wolverine in concept but doing them all at the same time (or even worse doing both Jen!Hulk and Cho!Hulk while keeping them similar in tone) leads to brand dilution.

Well the problem is that those three mini-series' don't fit anywhere else... they're not ongoings, events, specials, Star Wars, or children's books.

Whereas DC's books can be easily split into just a couple categories.

>DC raping Marvel

It feels so good.

Man, I remember back in the 90's with the X-men and Spider-Man cartoons I was a died in the wool Marelite. I never would have thought I'd be happy to see Marvel fall.

But here I am.

Maybe Spider-Man and Captain America just weren't meant to last more than a few decades. Maybe they just don't have that spark Batman and Superman have.

The Fantastic Four were the heart of Marvel and they're dead. They've been dead for a long time.

I really think we're nearing the end guys. Obviously Marvel won't go away but it's going to change. It's going to downsize. It's going to be a broken shell. Especially once the movie bubble breaks.

This is it guys. The end of Marvel. Who would have thought it would have ended like this?

>Marvel will have an uptick in October due to the lenticular scam. November might be funny cause they don't have events to inflate sales.
I was looking at Higgin's twitter awhile back and he basically said the same. October should be dominated by Marvel due to lenticular sales but his orders should be back to pre-Legacy numbers because he and other retailers aren't seeing any linewide boost of interest like with Rebirth. He was also surprised that DC had basically even sales volume with Marvel in September since he was expecting Marvel to be a good bit ahead that month.

The Lenticulars are so bad tho, like they don't transition properly since there's so much going on in both images.

They still sold since a lot of the lenticulars were part of pulls. You're just going to have a lot of buyers remorse.

Yeah I know, it's so bad tho. Been checking the Legacy lenticulars in my LCS and they really don't transition well like the ones DC has released since both covers are vastly different, even the cover title is different. So when you try to transition they're both clashing so you can't see any of the one covers clearly. It's a mess.

Went to my lcs and there were marvel comics everywhere
I didn't see much DC metal

Gillen was never good

Journey into Mystery and his x-books were good.

I don't even get what legacy is. "Every series is an event" What?

It's an attempt to match DC's "The next epic starts here." Every individual title is supposed to be so exciting that fans respond to it like an event. (As opposed to the other meaning of event - cheap stunt that doesn't change anything or improve anything, which is more likely).

Aha. Like rebirth was. A bit of a restart then.

See, that's where I'm confused about Legacy. With a few exceptions, Rebirth actually did seem to be new directions for most of the series, either with a new team, or new storylines. Legacy...doesn't seem to really be doing ANYTHING new (except trade dress. Woot woot.)

When a bad product is failing, changing the name is a quick and easy way of providing triage. So we go from All New All Different to Now to Legacy without anything actually changing.

Right, but it seems like they have already done that to no improvement. At least three times.

Also, I don't truly love Ennis's "The Boys," but I'm so tempted to quote the evil nameless lawyer who is the real villain in the end:

"Bad product."

I certainly don't want to interrupt the Marvel "bashing" of this thread, but I just want to point out something on the blue side.

Cyborg is the lowest-selling book DC has that's not Hanna-Barbera or Vertigo/Wild Storm/ Young Animal. Do they regret making him one of the Original 7 yet, you think?

Martian Manhunter was comparably unpopular so it's no loss and Johns still gets to indulge in his Galactic Guardians cartoon nostalgia.

That's why affirmative action is a bad idea
Cyborg isn't on the same level as these other heroes in terms of popularity but you need to have a black guy on the team
They should have used icon or some other milstone character

I wonder if their whole idea is to get a reason to publish something with a "1" on the cover, since first issue is selling so much better.

Except this time they're going for the big numbers.

Those characters didn't appear in Geoff's precious cartoons. And while Samurai was created with good intentions, he hasn't aged well, though Johns managed to sneak him into Brightest Day.

It should have been Vixen.

They should have just used Black Lightning. I mean, that still seems like the most obvious choice to me.
Then again he's a street level-type character usually.

That should give us something like this

I just realized how tiny these companies must be. How big chunk of the money do the company get? I they sell for 10 million dollar a month both diamond and the stores will have a big part of that, plus the production costs.

Nice. I just might have to do the whole chart again tonight, just to see what it ends up looking like.

I'm not sure how things work in the US, but where I'm from there are websites where you can look up different companies see stuff like their profit and revenue. It might be possible to find something like that for either of them?