The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Holy shit what a terrible film.

People speak and act like fucking robots. No emotion at all until the last third of the movie. Autismo clearly had issues judging by the trailer, but fuck me EVERYBODY is like him. They bring up shit that doesn't need to be brought up. Mentioning your daughter's periods like if it was some interesting anecdote. Every now and then they just kept bringing up periods, body hair, and so on in really really weird situations. The music was supremely bad. Terrible, awful noise vomit ruining scenes, not that they weren't bad in the first place.

When I looked up reviews, apparently people found it really engaging and suspenseful and loved the music. But for me it was horribly odd and inhuman like if a robot wrote the script and didn't take into consideration that humans have emotions and personalities. There was no suspense, though I didn't know I was supposed to feel any. It was awkward.

I guess I don't "get it" but with a film this fucking terrible I'm glad I don't. Please tell me you incredible faggots don't think this piece of shit is good.

Attached: WCPO_Killing_Of_Sacred_Deer_Poster_1496232688089_60441931_ver1.0_640_480.jpg (640x480, 68K)

>Please tell me you incredible faggots don't think this piece of shit is good.
I didn't think it was just good, I thought it was great

Nope, I agree with pretty much all of that. I think Yorgos is interesting as a visual stylist, but progressively less and less interesting as a storyteller with each film.

If you watch interviews with him, he refers to his movies as dark comedies, so I think the bizarre stilted dialogue is his idea of humor. It doesn't work for me either. I think only his first film Dogtooth is genuinely good, because it provides a context where that kind of speech actually fits the characters and makes sense. But in the following films, when that becomes a self-consciously imposed "style" rather than a character trait, I find it off-putting and pretentious and actively distracting from anything that could've been engaging or interesting about the narrative. If his next film is more of the same, I'm done

You are judging the film like it should be completely realistic and as close to "real life" as possible for some reason, which is obviously not even the intention of the director and would make no sense for the story.
You are complaining on how everything was "like a robot" like everyone should be over expressive for some reason, like they should behave like a "normal" human being for some reason, even though the film is clearly not portaying a "realistic" narrative.

What you are doing is like complaining how Salvador Dali didn't paint realist pieces, no shit, that's no argument at all, it's LITERALLY missing the point of the work. The Killing of a Sacred Deer is portraying a nightmare like "off" scenario, like something from an alternate reality, You can see all of that with the camerawork also, the idea was to create this almost otherworldly presence that the camera emanated from that is detached from the world and is always creeping up on the characters in private moments which you as a viewer shouldn't be there, and further pushing the question of whether there is something otherworldly and supernatural within the story.
Essentially it's a dream-like modern portrayal of the Greek myth of Iphigenia, and you can criticize it within that ofcourse, but to say "ughhhh the characters didn't act normal and it was awkward" like that is an argument against the film is just ridiculous.

Attached: thekillingofasacreddeer.1080p.bluray.x264.mkv_snapshot_01.15.31_.jpg (1920x1040, 234K)

I haven't seen anything of his before, so I didn't know this was his "style". I can safely say that I won't ever be seeing anything else from him.

Absolute kino just like Lobster

Pleb filtered

>You are judging the film like it should be completely realistic and as close to "real life" as possible for some reason
What the fuck do you mean "for some reason". It's not ridiculous to expect people to act like people.
>the idea was to create this almost otherworldly presence that the camera emanated from that is detached from the world and is always creeping up on the characters in private moments which you as a viewer shouldn't be there, and further pushing the question of whether there is something otherworldly and supernatural within the story
Then it failed spectacularly.

The fact you compare this to art really shows your bias. This about as artistic as the guy who takes enlarged pictures of close up anuses.

Is The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears good or is it just pretentious trash

>You are complaining on how everything was "like a robot" like everyone should be over expressive for some reason, like they should behave like a "normal" human being for some reason, even though the film is clearly not portaying a "realistic" narrative.
Yet the entire movie pivots on the shotgun scene which is clearly supposed to have you on the edge of your seat, all the emotions in the film have been building to this thrilling scene...except there are no emotions. Every character is emotionless, so why make the whole point of your movie a "suspenseful", "emotional" scene which has zero tension, emotion or weight to it because none of these characters are real human beings. There is no joy or happiness in this movie, even before the illness takes hold of Farrell's family. There is no pain without happiness. There is no happiness without pain. This movie is 100% fedora, monotone, autistic, emotionless dialogue. I'm already emotionally numb by the time we got to the shotgun scene.

The cinematography is very cringe inducing too. So many shots where the characters are barely in frame. The director thinks he's being so clever and artsy, he's a fucking joke. If he took the fedora off the lens maybe this film wouldn't be such a piece of shit.

I'll agree with this. I'm OP.

>It's not ridiculous to expect people to act like people
Do you expect for characters in a David Lynch film to act "normal" just because they are people? Or in a Jodorowsky film? It's ridiculous to imply that all films are and should be realist pieces and people should only act as natural as possible.

You will grow out of your juvenile limited minded phase, atleast I hope you will.

Nice pasta.

the lobster was a clever movie. this isn't

I expect people to act like fucking people. I didn't watch this film because I like sucking director's dicks. I didn't know who the fuck directed this piece of shit until more than half way because I was curious as to what asshole would direct people to act so badly.

Its YOU who can't expect me to follow this absolute nigger and know his style before judging his work. If I had known I was about to watch as hot shit landed in my eyes, I may not have made this thread, but I still would have hated it.

You got to have an open mind with art films.

>"emotional" scene
It's not supposed to be "emotional" you dumb ape, it's a take on the greek myth of Iphigenia, that entire scene is clearly supposed to be absurd, not emotional. Uncomfortable and absurd.
The rest of your points are none arguments, the same dumb meaningless points which casuals give for Kubrick, like Kubrick even intended for most of his films to be extremely emotional.

>The cinematography is very cringe inducing too.
Please do tell me where is the "cringe" part

Attached: TKOASD.jpg (3000x1625, 3.41M)

>Do you expect for characters in a David Lynch film to act "normal" just because they are people?
Most of his characters act like normal people though. Weirdos like the mystery man in Lost Highway act like weirdos because they're supposed to be weirdos. But people still have human emotions.

>It's not supposed to be "emotional" you dumb ape, it's a take on the greek myth of Iphigenia, that entire scene is clearly supposed to be absurd, not emotional. Uncomfortable and absurd.
The knowledge this is supposed to be "a take on the greek myth of Iphigenia" does not at all refrain the quality of this movie, neither does it give it any more substance or credibility. So it's a metaphor for a greek story told through fedora vision? I don't want to watch someone with the mentality of a pseudo intellectual 13 year old boy retell a greek story. The movie wasn't uncomfortable. It wasn't absurd. It was literally nothing. There was no point to anything. No attachment to the story or the characters. Knowing it's a metaphor for a greek myth doesn't excuse the piss poor faults.

>The rest of your points are none arguments, the same dumb meaningless points which casuals give for Kubrick, like Kubrick even intended for most of his films to be extremely emotional.
Ironically enough, this isn't an argument either.

>Please do tell me where is the "cringe" part
I watched the movie once when the torrent first came out, will never watch it again, the movie is too forgettable to name specific instances. I remember there being many shots where the characters are barely in frame or sometimes only half in frame. The director is trying so hard to show he's a filmmaker and be unconventional but he's just outting himself as an autistic faggot. Feels like he's fresh out of film school.

>I expect people to act like fucking people
This is exactly the the thing what I'm talking about when I noted your limited minded juvenile perspective on film. Even if a film is about a dream or maybe an entire alternate dimension, people should act as real as possible right?

>Its YOU who can't expect me to follow this absolute nigger and know his style before judging his work
I never said that, I just expect of you to not view on film as a strictly realist medium. You probably don't have a problem with superpower people in spandex fighting countless aliens, but people acting uncomfortable is somehow unnaceptable. You don't have to know anything about the director beforehand, just like you don't have to know anything about Salvador Dali before seeing a painting of his.

>Uncomfortable and absurd
it came off as stupid and ridiculous

it was supposed to suck, bro! you just don't get it

"artists" are what killed film

>ou don't have to know anything about the director beforehand,
I know enough to know he's a one trick pony. Haven't seen it but I know the characters in The Lobster act exactly the same way as they do in Sacred Deer. If he did it once and there was a point to it then it'd be cute, but the fact he just does this in every movie shows he's a talentless hack that relies on the same gimmick every time.

>Most of his characters act like normal people though
What? Literally what? Eraserhead is just full of normal people and normal "real" interactions, right?

Completely agree, i have still yet to see anyone explain why everyone in it literally has the dialogue and emotions of an autist.

>Even if a film is about a dream or maybe an entire alternate dimension, people should act as real as possible right?
No, because I know it's a dream or an alternate dimension. Nothing told me this was supposed to be retarded. Nothing told me to expect the film to be shit. The speech was odd but that didn't immediately tell me I needed to ready myself for a hot dicking.

the autismo emotions didn't fit this movie at all, it worked well in the lobster though

That had whacky surreal dream imagery going on at all times. Haven't seen Eraserhead in a long time but I doubt the characters were monotone, autistic and emotionless at all times. I'm sure they expressed emotions at certain points, pretty sure the girl with the bloated out cheeks was smiling. Point is you aren't watching boring, monotone people going around do boring, mundane things. The crazy dream stuff is keeping you occupied regardless of the characters.

Sacred Deer is just boring, monotone characters doing boring, mundane stuff.

Not only that for an "alternate reality" or whatever Sacred Deer is supposed to be, it's an incredibly boring, uninspired, uncreative take on an alternative reality. Oh, some people cant walk and bleed from their eyes? Wow. How engaging. The rest of the movie is just people going around doing boring shit like going to work, household errands or talking.

>People speak and act like fucking robots. No emotion at all until the last third of the movie
This is some of the dumbest criticism of a movie I've ever seen on Sup Forums, good job

>So it's a metaphor for a greek story told through fedora vision?
It's not a "metaphor", it's literally that story told in the modern setting. And saying "fedora" in every other sentence is a bit pathetic user
>The movie wasn't uncomfortable. It wasn't absurd. It was literally nothing
You literally say "It was awkward" in your OP post, make up your mind.
>There was no point to anything. No attachment to the story or the characters.
Now do you really think so? Really? 100% sure about that? The director just made it randomly, the critics randomly all loved it, a lot of people on this board loved it, but we are all just pretending and you know the absolute truth that there was nothing there right?

Some day user, maybe when you finish high school, you will grow out of this.

The characters talked and acted like robots because they didn't really love or care about each other and because they all lived comfortable lives in the suburbs. Only once they left their comfort zones did they start to gain some humanity, and it was simultaneously a relief to watch them get tortured.

Go back to your Disney capeshit. Real movies are beyond your comprehension.

>No, because I know it's a dream or an alternate dimension
How do you know that? You don't eve know that while you are experiencing dreams until they end?
Tell me how Inland Empire let's you know that it isn't a "real" setting

if this is a "real" movie, then you can keep them

that explanation doesn't work because the kid who 'hexes' them acts like the biggest autismo robot as well

Boring" is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching the film.
Same as saying "it was fun", that does not indicate anything about the actual quality of the film whatsoever.

What you find boring others can find riveting and vice versa. Some people are immensely bored by Marvel flicks, some of them think they are just pure fun.
Get better arguments

>Eraserhead is just full of normal people and normal "real" interactions, right?
And that's the one and only instance you can use as an example to compare this hack that made Sacred Deer to Lynch? Notice that Lynch is not a one trick pony.

>It's not a "metaphor", it's literally that story told in the modern setting.
I don't know the story and I don't care. As I said, finding out this story is retelling some greek story does not offer it any substance (which it is completely devoid of) or purpose. It's still the boring piece of unimaginative trash that it was before.
>And saying "fedora" in every other sentence is a bit pathetic user
It's very appropriate for this movie.
>You literally say "It was awkward" in your OP post, make up your mind.
I'm not the OP, autist.
>the critics randomly all loved it,
Critics like shit movies all the time. Especially try hard artsy ones like this. They're easily duped by terrible gimmicks that focus on minimalism.
>a lot of people on this board loved it
Many idiots browse Sup Forums.

I'm not a woman or a beta faggot, you can't peer pressure me into assuming your opinion by shaming me. I don't care what other people think. I only care about arguments, which you have none of. I wouldn't be surprised if you're the director, you're an absolute hack, anyone with any semblance of independent or critical thought knows this movie is a piece of trash.

explain the reasoning behind them acting like robots. if you don't have a convincing explanation then why do you like it? just cuz?

>Uses buzzwords like "fedora" to describe what he dislikes about a film
>Expects his opinions to be taken seriously

Kill yourself, pleb

youre doing gods work

This movie was a steaming pile of shit. That guy should have gotten a blowjob instead of a handy. Total waste of an opportunity.

It was unengaging

>Boring" is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching the film.
I'm not riveted by empty shells going around doing mundane, boring things like going to work, running errands, fulfilling social obligations like attending that doctor's conference, whatever the fuck it is. Said things could be engaging if we had likeable and / or interesting characters. As is established, even by the "fans" of this cinematic dumpster fire, this film has no characters. This entire movie is non-characters performing typical everyday tasks aside from the family killing dilemma, which again, has no weight to it because these aren't real human beings.

Not an argument.

>hack
>boring
>faggot
>trash
Yikes.

>And that's the one and only instance you can use as an example
Holy Motors? El Topo? Institute Benjamenta? Suspiria? Berberian Sound Studio? Inland Empire?
So far the thing you've said is "wtf they act so weird and that is why the film is bad"
Give some actual arguments except "everyone is dumb and pretending but me"

Nah, he's right, and you picked the only film out of Lynch's catalogue where the entire "world" of the movie is stylized. Inland Empire is grounded in real life for the first half-hour or so before Laura Dern's character goes down the rabbit hole. Mulholland Drive shifts into real life in the last half-hour, and that's what makes it clear that the rest of the movie has been in a dream-space. The scene in Lost Highway where Bill Pullman's character talks to the Mystery Man at the party works really well because Pullman's character doesn't respond to his weirdness with something equally nonsensical, he just looks confused and says "That's fucking crazy, man" like you or I would if I was having that conversation. When Lynch uses surrealism it's with clear intention and purpose, and it works on the audience because he's provided a clear contrast between normal and abnormal.

I liked Dogtooth and thought The Lobster was OK too, but Yorgos lost me with this one. If he had any real point or intention, or honestly a reason for this film to exist at all, I just didn't get it. I don't see any point, to me this really was just "weird for the sake of weird" schlock. People say that about Eraserhead, but Eraserhead had a clear point and all the "weirdness" effectively illustrated the character's emotional arc, which was still clear and human and relatable even if the movie was weird.

>Holy Motors? El Topo? Institute Benjamenta? Suspiria? Berberian Sound Studio? Inland Empire?
Yes, every single one of those are Lynch movies. Berbarian Sound Studio does have human characters. Toby Jones becomes more and more concerned with the film being made but is too beta and timid to really dig deeper. Even then that's not a very good movie, good in concept and theory, but poor execution. The movie is only impressive on a technical level.

In Suspiria the characters not involved with the coven do act normally. If that movie was told Sacred Deer 2: Autism Boogaloo style the girl entangled in the razor wire would be silent and emotionless, she would never once scream or react to the agony she's experiencing, even as her throat is slit. No one would ever once express concern for the murders being committed.

Give some arguments why it's good. What did you actually get out of this experience? What do you think the director was trying to say, why did he make this? I got nothing, what do you think?

>hurrrrrr its based on a greek story
that doesn't automatically mean it's good you brainlet. greeks were boy fuckers anyway

sometime you just have to accept that the Dunning–Kruger effect is real, and you are a pleb.

Not an argument.

>I didn't get it either: the post

>What did you actually get out of this experience?
A tense, uncomfortable, scary, ridiculous, riveting superbly shot film.
>What do you think the director was trying to say
A retelling of the Greek story of Iphigenia, themes of justice and moral ambiguity.
>why did he make this?
Because he's Greek

>Holy shit what a terrible film.

Stopped reading there. It's not that I disagree, but I don't really care enough about this one to want to know more. Probably won't be watching it.

>A tense, uncomfortable, scary, ridiculous, riveting superbly shot film.
What was tense, scary or riveting about it? There are no characters, no real human beings in this film.

Yorgos' movies reduce humans down to a base, monotone level. He writes them to be devoid of emotion, he removes the facades of niceties that we all parade around in our dream like state. Sex is perfunctory, conversation is banal. He makes us more akin to animals.

So he removes what makes us human, what makes anyone interesting or likable, necessary qualities for characters in a film, thus making the movie completely empty? It would be fine as a one-off if the movie was actually doing some commentary on human nature, but Sacred Deer is not doing that. And, as has been indicated before in this thread, he is a one trick pony. The Lobster also did this. He writes people like this because he doesn't know how to write real characters or how to invoke emotions, both things which take talent, effort and artistic merit, which he has none of.

Overly emotional scenes and acting are less like real life than most of the characters in this movie.
I get it, you didn't like it but that does not mean those that did are missing something

I keep saying this movie and the characters referred to as stilted and robotic, and I don't get it. Nothing about the movie or the performances came off as odd to me.

It was pretty funny and the music is brilliant but horrifying.

>Overly emotional scenes and acting are less like real life than most of the characters in this movie.
Which is why good movies don't have overly emotional scenes or acting, they have convincing emotional scenes or acting. Sacred Deer's "characters" do not act like real people. No family is this emotionally numb, monotone and dry.

But the kid acts totally realistically
only his actions and "powers" are unreal.
If you don't think two doctors discussing what depth their watches can go to is funny then perhaps the movie is not for you

poor hillbillies can't relate.

he doesn't act realistically lol wtf, he's just as autistic as the rest of them. did you even watch this movie

>f you don't think two doctors discussing what depth their watches can go to is funny then perhaps the movie is not for you
I liked it when American Psycho had yuppies jerking off to each other's business cards because there was an actual purpose and point to it, not to mention wit. I don't care about the le epic dry humor of Yorgos. It's not funny, clever, or witty. Low IQ subhumans like you who want to appear smart without actually liking smart material are being duped by a terrible movie with zero substance. Lol this film doesn't have any characters, everyone is emotionless and autistic and dry and quirky, just like me xD, such a dry cynical sense of humor, just like me xD. This film's "sense of humor" is an embodiment of cringe, just like everyone who claims this movie was hilarious.

And no, the kids did not act like real people. Monotone, emotionless, autistic like everyone else.

Lol. So many people triggered by this movie.

It's awful, I genuinely believe anyone who liked it is a fucking moron

>this is boring, unimpressive and pointless
>HAHA YOU GOT TRIGGERED!!! MY BOY YORGOS REALLY FUCKED YOU UP THE ASS WITH THIS ONE user, GOT YOU GOOD!!!

No one claims it is "hilarious"
it is funny in a very particular way
humour is very subjective, you don't find it funny and that is fine, that does not mean that those that do are cynical twats.only pretending to like it to annoy you

Yeah brah, it's so dry and cynical, just like me, xD.

If you thought the watch scene was funny you're an idiot.

And I genuinely believe anyone incapable of seeing the artistic merit of the movie ihas limited Kino intelligence

Watch more movies cunt

? just like me
the complete opposite
totally unlike me or anyone I know and that's what is good about it
You probably don't watch many european movies where this style of acting is more common
May I direct you to this movie which is also brilliant and you will equally hate

Attached: 51HHSJRPZRL._SY445_.jpg (313x445, 36K)

It's kino, deal with it.

>this style of acting is more common
This "style of acting"? This is not acting, it's just a director who never should've left film school trying to be deep and subversive. In other words, uses monotone, emotionless non-characters as a crutch because he isn't talented or skilled enough to craft real human beings.

It was pretty autistic but for some reason I liked it

>waaah people aren't neurotic spastics like your average burger so it's unrealistic waaah

wow
you really have no idea how little you know
have you ever heard of Bertolt Brecht or Samuel Beckett?

>>People speak and act like fucking robots. No emotion at all
That's how they make kino nowadays, everyone has to be a soulless automaton and this is "deep" somehow.

this, all I ever see is smug posts like it's so objectively good it's not worth arguing

Exactly the type of comment I would expect from someone who's triggered.

>Greek myth of Iphigenia
m8

Attached: BrainMask.png (601x508, 127K)

It's definitely polarizing, but I'm on the KINO side so you're a fucking pleb lmao

>People speak and act like fucking robots

its brechtian

I loved is movie, best mumblecore release to date. I cant wait to see yoko ono do a spoken word one man perfomance of it at the MET.

>What was tense, scary or riveting about it? There are no characters, no real human beings in this film.
Chiming in to agree with you here. The movie was boring. Robot autist says what will happen and it happens. Nothing is explained, and at the same time I didn't care enough to question it. The whole experience was boring.

It sure had some nice looking shots though, I'll give it that.

The stilted/monotone delivery was perfect for the kid and maybe even the father/surgeon, because we don't know what's going on with them, why they're acting the way they are, what's wrong with them, until later in the film. My issue is that everyone acts like that. I have no grounding for what "normal" is in what otherwise seems to be a completely mundane setting.

It's hard to feel like there's any tension over what will happen to the children or the wife when they're weird, affectless aliens for 2/3 of the movie. Once we're in the last portion of the movie, some of the scenes are individually effective, but the build up is utterly undermined.

The last scene, where he's spinning in a circle to decide who he'll kill, feels like it's supposed to be the punchline of the whole film, and the scene is darkly funny, but only in the moment. I didn't feel like the payoff was enough to really make the rest of it worthwhile.

The film looks great, but that's about it.

Attached: [buzz] party time leo johnson twin peaks.png (838x620, 578K)

thirded

>watching Lanthimos for the first time

What if it's my third time, and I feel like he's been going steadily downhill since his first film

>his first film Dogtooth
>first

>What the fuck do you mean "for some reason". It's not ridiculous to expect people to act like people.

Movies aren't real dude

>There is no pain without happiness. There is no happiness without pain. This movie is 100% fedora, monotone, autistic, emotionless dialogue. I'm already emotionally numb by the time we got to the shotgun scene.

It's a comedy and you're judging it like a drama.

I like weird flicks. That's what cinema should mostly be IMHO.

It should show audiences stuff that doesn't happen in the real world.

I don't want to watch stuff I see every day.

Attached: 1446264630496 (2016_12_08 01_52_40 UTC).jpg (680x570, 46K)