Storytime

Runaways #2

it's weird that the only thing that gets Anka to draw a feminine woman is she has to be fat.

>That was just the guest house

This is lazy

>the only guy in our club you haven't kissed
Well......

hey, Anka CAN draw
oh, my mistake

I hate that nose ring

I hate that she has to address this shit. I hate marvel's teen character meat grinder.

That is what happened to Klara

I don't know if these lazy close up panels are the writer's fault or the artist. Help me out I've only seen Anka's character design. Is he always this sparse?

RIP Victor

And it should've stayed that way

marvel never seems to forget continuity when it comes to bad things

Are they in the right state for Chase to hook up with Gert? She is 16.

Anka can't draw a proper nose ring, and the hat makes everything worse cause he isn't drawing a hat, just a fucking circle

jesus christ that last face.

Let's just steal her

Gert was always 100% in on fuck old people.

Here comes the Vision bullshit.

cocked blocked by the Dino.

That cover character lookslike tumblr incarnate

Is it holo victor?

Tony is fucking asshole

She was tumblr before tumblr was tumblr. Thanks for noticing.

At least molly is kinda cute. How old is she now?

I'm not mad. King killed him kinda as a plot device, not that I blame him, no one was using him. Also bringing him back might be cool when he sees Viv.

oh shit they're gonna rebuild him.

God she is grotesque

I was gonna say that but I thought that was a bit much.

Man this comic is really heavy on splash pages. I know BKV usually starts and ends with one but this is a lot.

Oh no psychic cats

Nice fucking background work, Kris "Kubo" Anka
Also I'm having mixed feeling about the dialogue being "low-tier Young Adult novel" bad but at the same time Gert sounds 101% like herself

Oh neat is he coming back?

yup, it's the only character Anka captures 100%

>"Yeah okay Imma just send these kids their dead friend's fucking head in a box. Go Tony."

WAIT A MINUTE
Isn't her current timeline body technically still buried there? She could literally dig out her own dead rotting carcass

>I shall not be Victorious

>WHAT'S IN THE BOX? WHAT'S IN THE FUCKING BOX?

Why didn't Tony repair him? What a douche

Still better when most of the young X-Men were falling apart and no adults really gave a shit...?

wow this might be the best action sequence Anka has ever drawn, look at the back ground he really out did himself this time.

also 5 issue mini? This book is moving at a so slow Brian Michael Bendis is saying "get to the point"

If it's been two years since Gert died then Molly should be 14.

Xavin less ignored than expected

How is it better? It's kinda the same. Marvel plays with the idea of characters that are new and diverse then when the sales go under they shit all over all of them and blame the reader for being gun shy of new characters in the future.

It's a vicious cycle. It's surprising Kamala has made it this far when all the others in her comic generation are going under fast.

yes, time paradoxes don't resolve that way in Marvel

Fats are feminine.

I think it's because he's forced not to put cheekbones.

All these spreads and splash pages really make me feel cheated.

>Mojoverse

WHEN

>Two years

I know Marvel has a sliding timescale and universe reset but JESUS CHRIST

Well in Kamala's case Saman-whatever the editors name is protects the hell out of her and she is pushed a lot harder than any of the other kid heroes.

Was supposed to be joke. Though the various x-kids showing signs of just losing it is probably Marvel's all around lowest point imo. That and Murderworld

>also 5 issue mini? This book is moving at a so slow Brian Michael Bendis is saying "get to the point"
"Runaways" debuted at 42k sales, so with the usual monthly drops it'll probably go down to around 28-30k sales this month.

Sounds about right. Time passes slower in Marvel Time than 1/4th real world nowadays.

Sana Amanat

And Kamala Khan is a self-insert of Sana which is why she's so protected. Similarly, Riri Williams is an insert of Bendis' daughter and gets the same treatment.

It's been 11 years in the real world, I think it sounds about right. Not to mention, we don't want Molly to get too old.

I don't get how this surprises people. I'm more surprised they jumped that much.

Makes sense when you remember what happened to the original Vision after his death in Disassembled. Tony just left his body in a warehouse and din't bother repairing him, instead Iron Lad found him and created Teen Vision using parts of his AI. Tony wouldn't get around to actually fixing his friend until years later, off-panel, where he said he did it in his free time like it was some kind of side-project.

>Why didn't Tony repair him?
Because then Vision will go on a rampage again.

There was also the 8 month timeskip after Secret Wars.

I wonder if it would be possible to take all the Marvel comics produced and rewrite them into a coherent narrative with a consistent flow of time. Probably would work at least for Spider-Man since he has solid frames of reference about his age at different points. Only real issue might be trying to work out how he has time for all his adventures in a year.

>everyone's fine

Fuck Xavin and Victor I guess

That's dumb. This shared universe shit where one guy arbitrarily decides to shift time ahead and every else has to cater to them is annoying.

It was actually an 8-month time skip after Original Sin followed by another 8-month time skip after Secret Wars, so 16 months total. I honestly don't know what Marvel was thinking.

>Your metal-addicted uncle that killed your brother and basically torn your family apart just came back to life.

There's no reason to go wrong.

Keep reading

How did Klara get taken by the state? She's a girl out of time they shouldn't even know she exist

He died because YOU got him addicted to drugs, Chase!

But Gert is fat regardless of her ideology.

It's a 6 issue mini, and the point of it is to be a "get the band back together" mini. Presumably so they could then use the Runaways as a team for guest appearances or some shit.

>I'm gonna send these kids their dead friend's head in a box
-Tony Stark

Who said anything about Gert's ideology?

I'm making fun of Anka.

It's a stealth mini, meaning that if sales are good it'll become an ongoing, especially if the TV show is a hit.

This is a common misunderstanding I see a lot here. The 8 month timeskip was only for Hickvengers and wasn't actually an in-universe 8 month timeskip. Not really. The point of that skip was that the Hickvengers comics were skipping 8 PUBLICATION months forward, and all the other books were supposed to fill in the blank. It was a good idea that fell apart in practice as a result of Bendis not holding up his end of the bargain.

The only books that timeskipped were Hickvengers. The rest of the books kept running up to the beginning of Secret Wars uninterrupted.

>as a result of Bendis not holding up his end of the bargain.
Huh?

who should write the ongoing? Marjorie Liu

I don't think the writer is too bad so far. She needs to lighten up on the low panel count pages but she's got the characters pretty good.

Too bad she has all this shit she has to get out of the way to get to the point.

I agree, she's pretty decent. And who knows if it's partly Anka that's pushing for more splash pages and slowing it down a bit. This is her first comic so Anka probably has more influence than normal

At the beginning, everyone was supposed to tell Hickman where their comics would be 8 months from now. That way, he could write Hickvengers with all of the developments that every other writer did in the next 8 months of comics as if they already happened.

Well, Bendis was in charge of the X-men at the time. Hickman had a bunch of developments like Cyclops starting Nation-X, repurposing the Sentinels to his will, and a number of other things. But Bendis, in his complete ineptitude and laziness, decided to scrap all the original plans and instead take his Original Sin arc and extend it to the point that it for 8 fucking months then ended that arc by timetraveling it such that it never actually happened, then with the ONE issue he had left before the timeline was supposed to match up (which, mind you, was impossible at this point since Bendis took up the entirety of the 8 month lead time to set up these changes on an unnecessarily long arc which was RETCONNED TO HAVE NEVER HAPPENED at the end) decided to go from the originally solicited "AXIS'd Havok and Cyclops decide to start Nation X" and instead devote the issue to Cyclops breaking up with Emma and the Havok portion was relegated to all of one page at the end where they decide to go get donuts. Then Bendis was given one more issue, a triple-sized issue in fact, and it ended up not only not coming out until AFTER Secret Wars, but he devoted like a third of the issue to retconning adult Bobby to be gay.

Basically, Bendis had this laundry list of awesome things he was supposed to do in his X-men run, but he decided "eh, fuck it" and just decompressed one lame arc to fill up the entire gap because he stopped giving a fuck about the X-men by that point.

Yeah they seemed to work a lot closer than some teams.

I could draw this though. Anka isn't doing it for me. Good thing I loves these characters to stick to it.

nose rings are disgusting and this one makes her look like she has a snot hanging out of her nose

That explains a lot, from the strange covers in Bendis X-Men to the Phoenix Egg nonsense.

oh, no down, Anka sucks. This is even some of his better work
again, blame Anka nose rings can be sexy, just not by him

>Bendis X-Men
Literally the dark age of X fans.

I liked Uncanny, but it might have been because I was reading it while it was still new instead of having as "this is what it does in relation to everything else". A shame about the new recruits becoming irrelevant, but that is how this always works out.

How the hell does Anka keep getting work?

He's probably nice, maybe fast. Also diversity points.

They could have seen her or gotten a tip. Social Services are allowed to pick up any kid in danger even if they aren't documented anywhere. See the feral child Genie, for example.

See it's stuff like this that visibly acknowledges kids aging years to what the rest of the world treats like weeks since all the adults don't grey at all that makes the slide so weird with how no one points it out.

Oh my god, I genuinely didn't expect this. Not gonna lie, got me pretty excited.

Gonna blame Hank Pym.

Considering that she was already having bumps on her chest in the old run, she shouldn't be completely flat here.

Wow that's for that not completely creepy assessment.

>Where do you think you are?

I know. It still surprises me though. Maybe i'm not dead inside yet.

>that's

thanks. I was so jarred. I need a fainting couch.