Can we stop pretending that Gene Deitch era Tom and Jerry wasn't pure kino?

Can we stop pretending that Gene Deitch era Tom and Jerry wasn't pure kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2fDZNCY8XN0
youtube.com/watch?v=QCOHtXCtPcY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It was fever dream nightmare kino

They're amazing. It's like Tom & Jerry made by aliens. The futuristic sounds, the reverb and the surrealistic low budget makes them very unique and kinda creepy. Took me some time to appreciate them.

Is this the 'Dickie Moe' phase?

I don't mind them at all. The slapstick is still there and the humor all tho sureal at times was amusing in it's way.

Were those the Tom and Jerry episodes with solid color backgrounds and bunches of blank space?

low budget animation*
Also forgot to mention the music, which just makes them even more terrifying.

Something about the way he draws them was also so appealing to me as a kid.

if they weren't Tom & Jerry shorts but rather their own thing I have a feeling people would like them better

Yes. Also the ones where Tom's owner was a huge asshole.

The sounds scared the fuck outta me as a kid

They were kind of unsettling. Now the Filmation Era? Full of QUALITY.

Didn't he hate Tom & Jerry and only agree to do it for the money?

Nobody is "pretending". Compared to the various eras of T&J - and yes, this includes modern-day T&J - the Deitch-era shorts sit amongst the worst parts of the franchise. Horrible animation, horrible sound design, horrible comedy. The only thing those shorts did right was using the correct names of the two main characters.

Whatever the fuck your little made-up word "kino" means - high quality, I would assume from context - Deitch's T&J shorts are not that.

They were very odd, it's like looking at the late stages of louis wain's cat drawings.

youtube.com/watch?v=2fDZNCY8XN0

>"HeeeEEEEeeeelp. HeeeEEEEEeeeelp"
>"COME BACK WITH MY WHAAAALE!"

considering everything people claim is 'kino' is utter fucking corn-and-spunk-diarrhea, yeah, I'll give you that

It's "kino".

Why was Jerry such a dick to Tom?

>That episode where Tom gave up chasing Jerry because he had a crush on the neighbor cat next door and was trying his hardest to win her over.
>Tom got jealous and went out of his way to get another cat to actively cuck Tom.

I will never understand why people shit on it but said nothing about the Chuck Jones episodes which were annoying and weirdly animated toi... Oh excuse me it's Chuck Jones! everything he made is supposed to be good because MUH LOONEY TUNES!

I can't really say, but I'm one of those people who just dislike Tom and Jerry in general. I understand and appreciate it's value as a piece of animation history but even as a kid it was one of my absolutely least favourite shows.

I remember having the DVD boxset for the cartoons. It was one of the commentaries or documentaries, but they mentioned how Chuck Jones' type of humor didn't mesh well with Tom and Jerry. Definitely tried to change them to resemble his tastes (ie. Grinch looking Tom, Road Runner like gags, etc.)

>...Also, bump.

I hated this era as a kid

Tom and Jerry was never good.

Maybe you haven't heard, but Russia is our friend.

I don't really know which I hate more.

The Deitch cartoons for being unnecessarily cruel to Tom on top of the bad animation, sound, and jokes or the Filmation cartoons which look bad and have one of the worst "I paid five whole dollars for this so I'm damn well going to use it" soundtracks of any cartoon I've ever seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=QCOHtXCtPcY

Classic.

Where were you guys? I've always felt like the only one who appreciated the unsettling style it had.
I only started to appreciate it as I got older, but they are interesting to watch. The weirdest thing to me has always been the violence. It feels crude as fuck.

They're definitely unsettling. It's almost like those lost episode creepypastas except they're real.
Just listen to Tom screaming here for example What the fuck? It's like they tied up some random guy, tortured him and made him scream for help. Doesn't help that the shorts were done in fucking communist Russia.

I remember one of these episodes where Tom was frozen during a snowfall and is later saved by Jerry and taken to a weird futuristic house. It was pretty comfy.

dickie moe and the one where jerry walks through a dark room with the spookiest music ever (forgot name) were awesome

clearly inferior to MGM but that wasn't the point... they were still hilarious and had unique atmosphere that made them worthwhile

>kino
Please stop using this stupid Sup Forums meme.

when they team up to defeat bigger baddie it's great.

I genuinely believe the alt-right is Russian astroturfing. I wonder how many rubles Putin sends Spencer each year.

Don't worry user, my sister was the same way as a kid.