If The Thing alien infected a city in DC or Marvel Universe would they be fucked? or could they stop it?

If The Thing alien infected a city in DC or Marvel Universe would they be fucked? or could they stop it?

Remember It blends in perfectly and can copy any creature it assimilates perfectly.
It can spread easily from being to being just through cells.
Every part of it is alive and must be destroyed.
And it's incredible smart to the point it can make working UFOs out of helicopter parts and pieces from a shed.

It's honestly the most the deadly creature in all of fiction if you ask me and I think most of the heroes in both DC and Marvel would die or be infected.
Even if it can't infect some heroes I still think the planet and more would be fucked as The Thing spreads and consumes all organic life it finds.

And god only knows if it could possible mimic the powers of super heroes.
Now that's a scary thought.

I dont think it could copy powers

But it would hit the streets and slowly take over the populous with pretty much the entire nation being THINGS would make it hard for any hero to stop it

As for copying powers I don't think it could and we know fire is the only weakness it has

Well yeah it couldn't infect someone like the human torch probably.
But I think a lot of other heroes could be infected.
It copies it's victims perfectly to the DNA so I honestly think heroes like Spiderman and The Green Lantern could be infected and still use their powers.

If the Thing were to hit a major city, all life is pretty much over.
best option from there would have to completely obliterate all life and then start over with clean humans/animals.
and EVEN then you might not be sure since the thing could have infected a fish and they'll be underwater monsters lurking about waiting for the population to grow back.

basically, Exterminatus the whole planet.

If GL gets infected, does the ring work with The Thing's will or Hal's?

X Parasite vs The Thing

Dr. Strange looks up, sighs in frustration, then magics up a solution before getting back to his coffee and email.

I want a story where everything goes to shit and the world is fucked and Dr. Strange just fixes it because magic.

Well it does have some strength when it get big enough but since GL's ring is powered by will I don't think it will work

Pretty harsh user

>X Parasite vs The Thing

Your dubs have made me curious about would they fight each other or join one another making them more unstoppable then we could imagine

Beast could up with a "vaccine". Pym and Reed the same. Tony could deliver nanobots that would destroy it. It wouldn't be a big threat, really.

DC: Depends on how close to Metropolis it touches down and how loud it wants to be, Superman will be able to pick out anyone it's impersonating and can burn it either completely or to where it's weak enough for him to put it in the fortress

I'd be cool to see The Thing fight Plastic Man.

If we're making this a Thing story we pretty much have to make assumptions in favor of the Thing. Let it assimilate powers and we're that much further into "we're fucked" territory and that's where we need to be for this to work.

Fundamentally alien critters like Superman, the Metal Men, fully sapient Iron Man Armors and such would be a problem, especially the ones that can hit back. Brainiac would take a look at the infestation, giggle and go "oooh, shiny!"

Oh, and creatures like the Shrike, late Blood Music infestation and any Culture warship are quite a bit nastier IMO.

DC:Firestorm saves the day
Marvel:Human torch saves the day

Rogue Flash heatwave , suicide Squad el diablo

How are they going to detect every infected creature?
Its a perfect mimic and copies it's victims down to the DNA.
The only way to tell between human and Thing is through a blood test.
The Thing would do everything in it's power to keep hidden and slowly infect as many life forms as it possibly can.

Again they can kill the Thing yes.
But they have to find it first by the time they killed one Thing the entire country could be infected.

Going after the fire users first would probably be its priority after infecting a couple of cities

The SECOND that the thing infects an airborn insect, all life on Earth is irreversibly doomed. Every living animal from blue whales to microbial bacteria are vectors and nothing but total destruction of the planet can stop it if the Thing gets out of Antarctica.

What if it got to ghost rider?

>I haven't seen the movie or don't really understand how it works.

Can it get bacteria I mean we know it can be a blood cell

Is DNA camouflage implied in the remake movie? Original short story and Carpenter's movie had no such capability in the base for obvious reasons.

The plot of the film is "If it gets out of Antarctica we're fucked". World is consumed in less than a month, I think in the movie they say a week?

It's not because of humans, its because of animals. No superhero would be able to stop it.

This. The only reason humanity even stands a chance in The Thing is because we lucked out and the fucker crash-landed in the most isolated, least populated region on the entire planet.

Drop him down in the middle of a populated city center and boom, within a few days all the rats, strays, and homeless will be converted and from there it's just exponential growth and assimilation.

They showed the DNA "looked" human but in contact with real human blood and it would quickly assimilate the human cells.
As I said its the perfect mimic.

Well, good nanotech should fuck the Thing up even on a planetary level, but the collateral damage should be grotesque. Forcibly upload everything and everyone, annihilate Earth, build new Earth with anti-Thing safeguards in place, download with edits to account for missing time, pretend nothing happened, futurism.

A bacterium is an individual organism consisting of one cell. The Thing copies the structures and functions of individual cells.

The second it gets into the ocean if when were truly fucked.

>Will go to fish to fish and probably infect the entire ocean in weeks.
>Impossible to stop as we can't tell real fish from fake.
>No way to really kill The Things in the water as we can't use fire.
>It will quickly go onto the shores of every major country and infect everything.

Well, perfect except if someone hurts it it will start sprouting tentacles and shit. And I strongly doubt superscience (or even normal science with the time we wouldn't have) won't be able to make a test.

>When damaged, X-Parasite reverts to floating gel form
>When damaged, Thing's body mutates to compensate
Honestly, it'd probably act like the thing, but without the weakness to fire

It's a frighteningly real estimate of about 500 days to assimilate ALL life on Earth. Every living organism.
The Thing is a biological apocalypse.

If The Thing gets to Tren Krom, shit gets real.

Spoiler: Everyone on Earth were Things already, doing tentacle shit when we sleep. Only Japanese are fucked up enough to start noticing what's going on.

A lot of people theories the bigger the mass the smarter the Thing is.
Anything smaller then a bug only works on instinct and the bigger it get the more intelligent it becomes.

What? No. One of the guys in the film "dies" from a heart attack and they make an incision on him for the biopsy and nothing sprouts UNTIL The Thing wants his anatomy to change, once the doc's hands are IN the man.

Psh, try the Bydo.

It doesn't copy the DNA, it replaces the DNA with its own. It wouldn't be able to utilize any powers that weren't a natural ability of a given form. I.e. It can fly if it makes wings or breathe underwater if it makes gills, but if it absorbed Spidey it would lose the powers that are in his radioactive blood because that blood would be replaced with Thing cells. As for the GL ring, it would bail because the Lantern in question is no longer the Lantern; it's the Thing.

Also, the Thing isn't really that smart. It acts like... Well, like a series of chained processors. A single small Thing is barely above animal intelligence, but the bigger it gets the more processing power it has. That's why the huge one in the movie kept fucking up -the more it split up to deal with shit, the dumber it got.

Honestly, magic users are the biggest advantage comics have over the thing.

You guys,the "Thing" as you call it is not a bad guy! It just wants to bring you all under one and bring in world peace! Now turn your AC up and crawl into bed and just forget about this nonsense.

Yeah, there was that. It's the little ones that are proper retarded which makes sense.

It would seem implicit that Things can't detect each other.

Sort of - the whole point of the infection is that it mimics the functions of the cells it assimilates, so the more complex the brain of the creature it assimilates, the more intelligent that particular Thing is.

This is why Nazi Cap wanted the space wall

Insects are relatively complex organisms, and already have a drive to infiltrate the space of other organisms to propagate. The Thing behaves similarly to a parasitic insect.

Are mosquitoes going to stop biting? How about bedbugs? Are houseflies going to stop invading homes? Fuck no. Now imagine every encounter you already have with insects and arachnids is potentially a chance for an alien entity to infect your body and kill you from the inside, replacing you at a microscopic level with an identical organism also driven to propagate by contacting other organisms.
Everything, everywhere, is fucked.

But a space wall would need to cover the whole planet and would cause horrible natural disasters. What REALLY need is to give every earth citizen a flamethrower and the rights to wield one.

This poster is The Thing. Do not trust him, or anyone else.

No it copied that guy to perfectly to the point it got his bad heart.
It didn't intend to get a heart attack and when the doc started shocking his heart it hurt The Thing and The Thing retaliated

Who would win the thing or pennywise

Pennywise isn't biological, not really. Literal God had to step in and fuck him up.

>This poster is The Thing. Do not trust him, or anyone else.

Hey, I know I'm human!

Oh yeah it was during the shocks, sorry, I misremembered. But still, there's nothing to indicate that it wasn't The Thing luring the guy into its "trap". The Thing does know its The Thing.

Prove it

Keep in mind that the Thing movies only show you how the creature(s) behaves when interacting with a very small group of humans in an entirely isolated environment. It'll play very differently once it gets to a readily-traversable densely populated landmass.

Its not going to reveal itself until it has a majority control, its too vulnerable otherwise. And in high-population areas, its going to have assimilated *millions* and still be the minority. So its going to take a much higher-level cooperation between the Things to grow and reach majority.

Think of, say, how the 1970s Invasion of the Body Snatchers played out. Same scenario, really, a disguising alien takes over humans. In the movie it didn't grow randomly like a spreading fungus, they sought out authority figures to take over human organizations to help them grow. Government agencies and businesses. You weren't going to know that the Body Snatchers were around until it was too late, and they were already well into the logistics of taking over the next area, the next town, the next continent.

Do not respond to Thing posters.
Do not come in contact with Thing posters.
Burn all Thing posters on sight.

The Thing only knows it's The Thing if it's intelligent enough to be self-aware instead of just acting on base instinct. Dog-Thing is probably aware it's The Thing, but Blood Cell-Thing probably isn't.

Human-Thing is not only aware it's The Thing, but also learns how to better fit in and act less like The Thing, possibly so well it forgets it's The Thing.

Kinda difficult if we're typing on a Philipino crochet forum.

>A being that has literally one purpose in its existence gets a GL ring
Shit's dangerous, man

Philipino haha. Just curious where that is haha.

Yes firestorm. DCs resident fire hero. He's just like the human torch.

>possibly so well it forgets it's The Thing.
I don't think this is a possibility. Blair, the smartest of the group, actually starts building a spaceship once he's The Thing. Clearly, this is some knowledge Blair can't have and must have come with The Thing, somehow. Be it via hivemind or whatever, we don't know. But this indicates that The Thing can give more knowledge to those he assimilates.

Any individuals that discovered the truth were either ostracized or taken over, or both. There just wasn't much that a single person or a small group could do.

This is where it'd play differently in a comicbook world, a single human isn't going to stop the tide, a Superman just might. It depends on if they notice the quiet invasion occurring.

Even then... what would a Superman do? Most of LA is taken over and pods have been shipped around the country, what do you do? Well, maybe you could gather up the pods to stop the spread but you're likely looking at a complete loss of any infected areas, you carve out a moat all around California and then sterilize the state from orbit with heat vision.

If the infection is too widespread... you'd end up gathering as many non-infected as you could and you retreated to any area that could be reasonably defended. It might be Iceland or Madagascar. It might even be to the point of abandoning the earth.

Lets not even open the possibility of metahumans being taken over themselves. Once one gets into the Justice League or Avengers its probably game over.

A writer would probably pull a deux ex machina and have the Things unable to assimilate, say, kryptonian or martian biology, and they make a vaccine out of martian blood.

It's a shitty island chain overrun by orange people who can't pronounce the name of their own island nation.
"Pillipeens"

Firestorm, with his mollecular rearrangement, is probably the most effective non-magic user against The Thing though. He'd be one of the last to be assimilated.

The Thing only acts like the beings it copied.
But in truth their pretty much dead and The Thing is just perfectly acting like them.
But it clearly has it own personality and intelligence since it knows how to make a working UFO

>1970s Invasion of the Body Snatchers played out. Same scenario, really
Not really when one just replaces cells with its own and for the other you need to fucking sprout new copies. In the first case scenario, if you drink my soda or play a game of basketball and exchange sweat, you're done, in the latter you need to actively be taken away.

Brown.

I think the first thing The Thing would do is try to get to the Justice league watchtower and infect every major hero it can possibly infect.
It would want to make sure it gets rid of any potential threats before they become aware of its existence.

The Thing really just needs to go around sneezing on people to infect everyone.

It already consumed whole alien worlds. Martians and Kryptonians wouldn't be immune, it makes no sense.

Maybe a small enough amount of material could be stopped by a superhuman immune system, but if a Thing spews on Superman, Superman is done.

I kinda wonder, what would happen if it reached total domination of a world. Would it develop it's own society or would it become Blob world?

Most Filipno people I've met have a warm, rosy complexion.
It actually looks good. Is it weird that I think that? Whatever. Back to Thing talk.

So, turn everyone digital and exist as nanobot meshes rather than flesh? Yeah that should stop The Thing from taking over.

I assumed it would try to move to other worlds. The crashed alien ship was either infected on one world, where from the Thing departed into space to move to other planets, or was sent from a totally consumed world to find new worlds to consume.

Isn't that the premise of "Soma"?
Because that's about as horrifying as the Thing.

>The Thing with unassisted flight
>The Thing with Telekenisis
>The Thing that's fire retardant or just fire proof
>The Thing that can shapeshift like Plas, Mr. Fantastic, or Elastigirl
>The Thing with biomechanical enhancements that allow it to take control of machine
Let's say it took over The Borg.
>The Thing that is able to use magic

>The Thing with all the powers of Superman.

There is a hypothetical alternate timeline wherein all life in the observable universe has been consumed and the Thing is Sorcerer Supreme, as well as all other cosmic causal superentities.

So your saying we'd have to nuke it from orbit? I suppose that's the only way to be sure.

The Thing can assimilate all matter, but it would never be able to copy ethereal beings, which is why, at the end of the day, universes like DC, where non-material gods are real, will never be truly fully assimilated.

if the thing infested any urban setting, it would be the end. Marvel, DC, harry potter....
if it infected crossed universe, it would be actually a blessing for it would end the crossed infection

>Crossed Thing.

too many aliens mate.

I doubt the crossed virus/shit can fuck the ubber collective mind of the thing.
eldritch horror beats fanboy rape fantasy

The Thing has already taken other worlds. Every time you reach a new planet hospitable to life, there is a damn good chance that the entire sphere, from pole to pole, is the Thing.

I think the presence of telepaths, magic and supertech would make the thing possible to deal with for a superpowered Earth.
It would be an event-tier problem and you'd see a colossal loss of life, but even without time travel or other reset buttons, I think the thing would lose.

No, in Soma you have copies of dead people "living" happily in a satellite for a few thousand years until the orbit degrades or the solar panels get dusted over.

Now that's truly terrifying

probably it already spread all around Earth.
any alien life form we meet will already be the Thing.

That's a scary thought of The Thing.
Theirs a big chance The Thing is all over the universe and The Thing from the movie is only a "part" of a larger horror.

>I think the Thing would lose.
I disagree. Nothing short of editorial mandate could save Marvel or DC from The Thing. Supertech and telepaths can't stop the Common Cold or eliminate Malaria, they're sure as hell not going to be able to do shit about an intelligent, malicious micro-organism. If anything, it would only make the infection more effective and capable of spreading even faster.
Jean Grey become the Thing, and people from miles around will walk towards it to be assimilated WILLINGLY.

It's like the Romulans, only actually, genuinely intimidating.

Literally the only races I think could kill the thing are the Diamond people from Ben 10, The Crystal Gems or Any Transformer.
Otherwise the thing, unless it lands in a totally desolate landscape, wins. It's just too damn good.

therefore the "victory" on Antarctica was a Pyrrhic delusion of few primitive apes.
yes apes, congratulate yourselves, The Thing is still there waiting.

It really is overpowered. It's fun to think about crossovers, but logically every scenario ends with "everyone and everything everywhere is dead".

>if things get big enough they become smart enough to develop philosophy and ethics and decide to chill out.

I don't think they can beat it, more like "survive it".
I can imagine that if the thing existed in any of those universes, they would try to terminate all organic life out of fear. Autobots would never go to war with decepticons, they would stay together in the ever crusade to end all organic life

>The Thing's philosophy and ethics amount to Manifest Destiny and they actively attack every inhabited world they can find.
>By their own metric, this is the most righteous and morally sound way of life.

That sounds pretty cool actually. I could see a story where Optimus meets the AU version of himself with this morals totally reversed.

Holy shit your right.
The Thing wouldn't be able to do shit to the gems.
If they think human life is gross wait ill they see The Thing.