The Myth of Self Control

vox.com/science-and-health/2016/11/3/13486940/self-control-psychology-myth

Wow, looks like it's wrong to blame the degenerates for being degenerates.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/NINE6
genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/resnick/41/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>whew

>vox

>tfw my donger is bigger than anthony's

>free will

>Myth

Self control can actually be managed. It's been proven (as much as you can with psychological and social sciences) in the lab. Some people can exert greater self control than others, to varying degrees, but if you follow the right measures, you can implement it.

self- control is one of those things that only exists if you believe if exists.

just like free will, you can either believe you have influence over your life or you surrender to the idea that "everything that will be, will be" and you kill yourself by boofing

>no goyim, self-control is a complete myth dont bother trying to better yourself or take responsibility

>I disregard science: the post
coming to a theatre near you

Psychology is pseudoscience at best

If you read the article, it's a bait and switch headline!

>Self control doesn't exist!

>oh, but if you do some of these things, it completely does

They repeat the same thing people already know - You need an objective, it's progress needs to be able to be measured, you should make small, incremental changes, and you need to relieve the pressure from time to time, and that if what you are doing is enjoyable it will obviously be easier to exert more self control over it, and if it's not, it will be a longer process.

Of course, some fat bitch is just going to read the headline and think;

>Damn, I knew I was born obese.

It's not science.

It's even stated in the article that these results of these tests couldn't be replicated.

Moreso, the body of the article itself refutes the headline.

and what's your qualification to make such a bold claim Mr. smartypants?

archive.is/NINE6

Because it is impossible to obtain objective results in psychological studies and the results from most studies can't be recreated.

>Because it is impossible to obtain objective results in psychological studies
wrong

again, what are your qualifications to make such a bold claim?

(((vox)))

I do research at Oak Ridge but I guess I've never done a psychological "study" before. You're probably just mad that you wasted your money on a worthless degree

>gender studies
>worthless
LMAO get a load of this shitlord

In other words, you're right because you made it up.

Sounds just like religion.

It's a balance really

Trump enjoys his junk food and look at all he's accomplished

>Resnick
genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/resnick/41/

>Reznik is a Jewish surname that means a "ritual slaughterer, from Yiddish reznik, [of Slavic origin]." Resnick is a "Germanized or American" spelling of Reznik.

How do they explain the buddhist that set himself on fire without moving?

Psychological studies only ever show correlation and never prove a causation.

Show me one in the last 20 years that has

Probably that psychology can't be accurately measured and experiments replicated.

Which is true, thus far.

So it would only vaguely meet the definition (thus far).

He's not wrong. It's a fact. You can look it up if you'd like.

Dont give them monies

Got me there

thanks I try my best

it's hard shitposting with this flag you know

This is bullshit. I practice self control all the fucking time. If I didn't I would have fucked some gay boy, who was right in the middle of my strike zone and looked super feminine, in the ass. I don't because I know I will get a ticket straight to hell for it.

Can I use this as an excuse to murder?

The title is a little misleading. The study says that people have better self control because they form good habits and are faced with less instances where there is actual "effortful restraint". The author does a pretty shit job at comprehending the quotes from the study.

The people who are good at self-control have removed the things that tempt them from their lives, therefore self control isn't a thing?

I mean fuck, I will devour a bag a potato chips if it's in my pantry, but I don't buy them ever so I'm not just eating chips whenever I'm bored.

There is a replication crisis in psychology, though.

Surely they didn't mean to commit crimes so we can't punish them

Beautiful, more victim complex enforcement for the masses

>myth
Bullshit.
I know from experience it exists.

Having done 3 grams of a-PVP over 5 days and on the 6th day saying NOPE, NO MORE, I'VE HAD ENOUGH SHADOW PEOPLE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I can promise you self-control not only exists, it's absolutely vital to stay alive.

>vox
Explains all I need to know.

All the more reason to gas degenerates

This is what determinism is going to be. Science literally explains your life isn't even your fault, it was predestined. You are excused from all shitty behavior, it was predestined! You couldn't control it, there is no free will, you cannot better yourself. You are a victim of the universe itself.

The ultimate victim complex.

this is basically what Aristotle was saying though

>It shouldn't be a chore to do the right thing
>People who seem like they have a lot of self-control actually don't feel wicked desires in the first place because they have reoriented their lives

So it sounds like lefty mumbo jumbo but it could just be an empirical case for old school virtue ethics

>The ultimate victim complex.
Expect nothing less from libtards. Their entire political model is based on victimhood. Nothing more.
If humanity invented free energy and matter replicators that eliminated the need for money in all of society, those cunts would still whine about the discoverers being male, or having privilege, or how niggers invented time travel and gave the idea to evil white ciscientists to try and save the world or some fucking shit.

Leftists are prey. Eat em alive for freshness.