IDW Sonic

Who else is excited about this? What do we know so far?

Modern sonic, Ian Flynn as writer, negro joe as editor, 4 issues in April, hooligans and mighty & ray will probably appear, Ian sounded like some form of the freedom fighter would appear, no origin stories as of now, Tyson Hesse will be involved in some capacity, there will be new characters and old characters, shadow confirmed (obviously), most likely way way way less mandates than Archie put on Ian, new and old artists will be on the book...

Anything else?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MrrRtLxUsaM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Ian sounded like some form of the freedom fighter would appear
Sauce?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MrrRtLxUsaM

> Ian Flynn as writer

At IDW? Nice.

IDW's Sonic will be the first time I actually get the issues, rather than buying old issues on the cheap or trades when I feel like it. It sounds like IDW so far knows what to do with it, and that Sega is actually being less hands on in a good way. The fact that they're promising not to do game adaptations in the main book is a wonderful news.

I need to see some more concept art already.

It's been 25 years since SatAM, and the autistic fanbase won't shut the fuck up about the Freedom Fighters.

Will Sonic comics never escape it?

The Mega Drive books and his brief stint on Sonic Boom showed us that Ian is capable of writing quality comics without jerking off his lore boner, but I have a really bad feeling this is going to be New 252 all over again.

>Ian sounded like some form of the freedom fighter would appear,
I'm sorry, but I can't get behind this if this ends up being the case. I was sick of them near the end of the book, so if they're a regular element then I don't plan to read it.

>most likely way way way less mandates than Archie put on Ian
I really doubt this is actually going to be the case. A lot of those mandates were pretty fair and I doubt they're going away.

>I really doubt this is actually going to be the case. A lot of those mandates were pretty fair and I doubt they're going away.

They already confirmed Sega has looser mandates on IDW than they did on Archie at the panel at NYCC.

Stop spreading lies.

It's not spreading lies so much as I don't believe in their words. Outside of maybe the clothing mandate, I don't think any of them are going away.

What's so wrong about there being different Sonic canons?

>characters established in canon for 25 years as important and fun parts of the story
>has big fanbase

Why are you surprised about that? Are you stupid?

Personally, I liked that the comics kept them alive, and I think its hilarious that there are spergs who hate them with a passion for no reason.

To be fair to Ian, a lot of struggle came from the second Genesis Wave. Huge amount of stories cut short, a focus of "what is going on with everyone in the new canon", having to utilize Unleashed as a way to set things up while glossing over other game events as "yeah those happened".

A lot of writers would have problems with that.

Will the egg bosses come back?

Ian's post-reboot characters are probably in a really weird gray area at the moment regarding if they can be used or not.

Eh, I think they'll be fine.

I doubt the same characters will. It depends on if Archie gives permission since those characters are theirs.

I don't see them doing it. Most that could happen is stand-ins or anyone based on a Satam character.

Why exactly wouldn't they somehow exist? They're pretty big staples of Sonic. I didn't even like SATAM.

If I recall, they belong to sega so nothing like the Penders shots how happens again.

>adventure amy
I would have prefered if they ditched the Adventure designs and went back to the Classic ones, the Adventure style reeks of late 90s edge.

Now hang on there user. Unlike Boco and his unbridled irrational hatred of Amy, most people hate/dislike the FF for a good reason. Put simply, it's because people consider them to be incredibly dull and that they mostly bring nothing to the table other than padding out the supporting cast for the sake of padding. But mostly, it's Sally. I'm going to get memed on for saying it, but if we were to stop and be honest with ourselves, we'd see that she was the textbook definition of Mary Sue for a long time. And from what I've seen, she didn't seem to get a whole lot better in Ian's run of the comic. Which normally wouldn't even be a huge issue, if she stayed a supporting character, but the fact is the entire comic practically revolved around her and the FF with Sonic and friends taking a backseat until Ian got on board. And even then it didn't get much better until the reboot, at which point the problem evolved from too much focus on the FF to too much focus on """world building""" characters. If you enjoy and like these types of characters, that's great, but the title of the comic is "Sonic The Hedgehog" and some people expect the stories therein to reflect that. You don't see the mainline, non-spinoff, "Batman" comics focus solely on supporting characters with Batman/Bruce Wayne only appearing every once and a while. I get that you need to take a little artistic liberty in a IP that doesn't give you much to work with canon-wise, but that doesn't mean that you have to put the titular characters on the backburner for the sake of world building. But more importantly, the Sonic series has evolved since the early 90s and god knows there's a number of "official" characters waiting to be utilized. Characters like the FF have been obsolete for a long time.

>but muh mandates

You people say yourselves that the mandates weren't THAT bad. A good writer can take what he's given and make something great out of it. Maybe Ian just isn't up to that task? Guess we'll see.

/sthg/ needs to go back to its containment board

>I'm not from /sthg/
yeah ok sure thing pal

I'm happy cause, since I live in south america, nobody bring the archie comics over here not even in english.

My local comic book store brings a lot of english IDW works so now the chances of actually buying a physical Sonic comic increased.

Man, I never got the same impression of the main FF than most. They were fine. Even Sally was fine to an extent as long as they didn't try some dumb love triangle bullshit.

A lot of the secondary characters were the problem. The side characters that only popped up for plot convenience who were always shoddy in writing but some writers just forced the story towards them.

You are correct that the franchise has gotten so many other characters they can use now that they don't need to fall on the Freedom Fighters anymore. A lot of people forget why they became such big characters in that lore: there was nothing else to use.

Where are you from, latinameribro?
I'm from Argentina.

Shadow > Sonic

Ofw IDW announces Sonic/TMNT crossover.

I remember that the Archie TMNT made a cameo on the sonic comic. Now IDW owns both, the world is a strange place with a good sense of humor.

God I hope so and that it's not the horse comic

That Sega Shop is a great idea. Too bad they won't be able to do stuff like artbooks. I'd love to see a Phantasy Star artbook.

I agree, they should get rid of everyone but Sonic and Robotnik.

It's definitely a little saddening on both sides that the comics simply can't move away from the cartoon setting and cast, but also the removal of said setting would be the complete death of said characters and setting. There's no real winner at the end of the day no matter what decision is made.

Personally, I want to move away from the setting and cast because I feel it's been done enough and that the Satam cast has been in too big a main role in the book for a long time that I simply want to see the book in a completely new direction based way more into the games universe than the cartoon one of the pre-reboot or the awkward mish-mash of the reboot.

Got a problem with that? Maybe Sonic isn't for you.

how the fuck is Amy's Adventure design in any way remotely Edgy?

>the entire comic practically revolved around her and the FF with Sonic and friends taking a backseat until Ian got on board. And even then it didn't get much better until the reboot,
I keep seeing this meme a lot among people who didn't actually read the book.

The first 40 issues were squarely about Sonic with occasional backup strips about other characters (Tails, Sally and Knuckles got the most of those). From around 41 on, every Freedom Fighter except Sally got the shaft. Hard. The series ended up as a Sonic story dealing with the problems of OCs (and Sally) for like 40 issues, became half Sonic/half Knuckles for another 40, went all soap opera for a dozen or so, went to space with just Sonic, came back to Sonic interacting almost exclusively with OCs and Knuckles, ran a bunch of filler stories for a few years, then Ian came along and focused pretty squarely on Sonic while giving the Freedom Fighters a handful of subplots over the course of almost 150 issues.

There are only three issues in the entire run where Sonic isn't the protagonist of the lead story. There are proportionally more issues of Batman where Bruce Wayne isn't even *IN* the fucking comic than issues where Sonic isn't the central character. Fuck off with this nonsense rhetoric.

Sally's lame, but that's no reason to bar Bunnie, Antoine, Rotor or Nicole from reappearing in minor character roles occasionally. You may as well ban Void just because Sonic Shuffle sucks.

I like Knuckles, eat shit.

Gee I dunno, maybe the same reason that autistic fandom won't shut the fuck up about Sonic in general? Could it be that, just maybe, they're all long-running characters with a built-up fandom?

Besides, I love the redesign models despite all the neutered backstories and development (namely Nicole's). I'd hate to see them leave so soon just so some xenophobic old men can stroke their crusty micropeens.

>implying
Her old backstory was fucking cancer.

Man I haven't been to /sthg/ in almost 2 years, how's it been doing?

Remember when M.E. was relevant? Neither do I. He needs at least SOME rehash, because all of his plots ended by SA2.

Sonic Forces also have it, there is no escape.

Shitposting, same as ever.

>long-running
Long-tagging-along

Lots of shitposting, but it's actually been the fastest it's ever been this year, funnily enough with no comics despite practically being created due to the comics. They're nearing their #1000 thread.

yfw Freedom Fags finally become Canon in Sonic Forces.

>most people hate

Since the announcement of IDW, its seemed like it has just been 1-2 anons having an autistic fit hating the FF.

Not even a minuscule chance of happening.

Wait, I thought Ray CAN'T appear.

>People say they don't mind the FFs
>Go back to /sthg/!
Here's your (You)

It's had its moments of shitposting, but it's been mostly peaceful lately. It's about to hit its 1000th thread

I've been out of the loop, someone said Ken Penders now owns the Freedom Fighters or something?

No he doesn't. You've been lied to

He knows nothing except a bunch of echidnas and a skunk.

And an evil variation of Sonic, and a good variation of Metal Sonic.

Thank you for clearing that up.
On that note, a shame they'll likely return to this comic. There's plenty of game characters to use and the Freedom Fighters are redundant when there are game character who fit those roles they play. They could just make new characters for the comic, but oh well.

>a shame they'll likely return to this comic

Not necessarily. Its quite possible that after everything Archie put them through, Sega would want the FF dead and buried forever.

Pretty sure last time we saw the Master Emerald was Sonic Advance 3. That was 2004.

>On that note, a shame they'll likely return to this comic.

There's literally no official statement indicating this.

However given this is IDW, the company which made it an editorial style to incorporate every version of their licensed franchises into their comics, you can probably assume that both AOSTH and SATAM characters will show up.

But they probably will just be that, characters appearing in the comic, not central characters.

That said, I cannot fucking wait for Scratch & Grounder Destroy Everything the mini.

>and a good variation of Metal Sonic.
More like the dumb gem in the middle of him. It's still not fair.

I'm not getting my hopes up. One of the things I wanted was a fresh start since they pulled that 'reboot', a true fresh start. Nothing lasts forever, and going from here and /sthg/, people don't want to let go of the Freedom Fighters. They also fail to realize they were made when Sonic had jackshit for a supporting cast. Now that Sonic has a supporting cast, a secondary and even tertiary cast in the games, they aren't needed anymore. Plus, they always represented to me a part of Sonic I've never liked. Why are the OC's from the comics, cartoons, etc. being put in the spotlight while you put Sonic in the background to remind you it's a Sonic product.

>Why are the OC's from the comics, cartoons, etc. being put in the spotlight while you put Sonic in the background to remind you it's a Sonic product.
This hasn't been true for years. People need to stop acting like it still happens

>a shame they'll likely return to this comic. There's plenty of game characters to use and the Freedom Fighters are redundant when there are game character who fit those roles they play.

>It's a shame that Alan Scott will likely return in this comic. There's plenty of space-faring characters to use and Scott is redundant when the Green Lantern Corps fills the role he plays.
>It's a shame Al Simmons will likely return in this comic. There's plenty of hellspawn to use and All is redundant when Jim Downing fills the role he plays.
>It's a shame the Showa Riders will likely return in this movie. There's plenty of Kamen Riders to use and the Showa Riders are redundant when there are Heisei Riders who fit the roles they play.

In any other fanbase we'd be laughing at this stupid ass sentiment.
Here, it's seen as reasonsble and I can't see why for the life of me.

Again, see
Antoine, Bunnie and Rotor were never in the spotlight. There are Teen Titans who showed up in half as many issues who had more dedicated stories. This shit is a meme perpetuated by people who never even read the comics.

>in the spotlight while you put Sonic in the background to remind you it's a Sonic product.

Oh you're that troll again. Nevermind, I wasted a serious response on you.

Real shame about Shard.

Because the FF are the prime example of bloat and overlap with characters who appear in the games. We don't need them anymore.

I think you have me confused with someone else, and it shouldn't be surprising people share opinions you don't like.

We don't need Knuckles anymore either.
Why aren't we chucking him while we're at it? What about Charmy? What about Vanilla? What about E-103 Delta? Would you also be upset if they showed up in minor roles?

You and your mind from my beating from my rhymes

A time for a crime that I can't find

I'll show you my gun, my Uzi weighs a ton

Because I'm Public Enemy number one

Leave it to a comicfag to not realize which characters originated from the comics and which characters originated from the games.

>I think you have me confused with someone else, and it shouldn't be surprising people share opinions you don't like.

No you're the same spammer.

Hey, stupid.

The entire point is that redundancy is bullshit and you don't actually care about it. You only want them gone because they're not from the games.

>because people consider them to be incredibly dull

And the Sega Sonic Team characters are interesting? All of them are flat one note stereotypes with the only exception being Shadow as far as substance goes and even then? His "substance" as a character is so badly written that Sega has no reason to pretend to be so arrogant about Japan is Master Race.

Sonic has always been garbage. Garbage that only furry autists like. Goddamn it. If I had a kid and he told me he wanted to buy Sonic shit I'd be the first to tell him to get a job and buy it himself because I will not subsidize shit.

Knuckles is redundant? Charmy is debatable, but Knuckles? One of the main faces of Sonic?
>You only want them gone because they're not from the games
No shit, I already gave my reason. We have plenty of game characters to use, and I'd wager the comic could just as successful with just the game characters.

If the sales of the second Mega Drive comic is anything to go by, it wouldn't. And we're already confirmed to get new OCs, so the IDW comic won't be game characters-only, FFs or not

Yeah, Knuckles is redundant. Shadow effectively replaced him. There's not a single role he could fill that another character can't at this point.

He stays around because, wait for it...
People like him.

Characters being "redundant" doesn't count for shit. You're throwing that up as a smokescreen. All you're really saying is "REEEEE THINGS I DON'T LIKE SHOULDN'T EXIST!" And that's fucking stupid, since these comics are set to cater to the whole fanbase and explore the whole franchise. Of course there's going to be some shit you don't like. I don't like half of Sonic's friends, but their various appearances aren't for me.

Nobody has a good reason for this "no, the Freedom Fighters shouldn't even have cameos!" shit. It's just shitposting and dumbasses screeching that people should not be allowed to enjoy things they don't personally like.

>gamefags in charge of not being retarded

Hey, Adventures fucking sucked and so did 90% of the Sonic games of the past fifteen years.

The stories were a fucking joke even worse than the gameplay, basically one of the only franchises in history where the terrible quality has got the average normie repeating the meme they hate 'new characters'

The games fucking suck and the post-Flynn (and goofy #1 - #30) comic was great, and they were good because of good characters and good writing,

kill yourself you mega pleb

We already have an example of a rigid 'source only' comic within the Sonic franchise, the Sonic X comic.

Sega forbid ANY new characters at all no matter how minor, so to functionally write a comic they literally had to take the most obscure one-scene characters like Chris teacher, one line police men and extra to make them villains.

It was obviously stupid, and anyone who wants that here is genuinely retarded.

The funny thing is the comic could take the terrible, hated game characters and make them good and well liked

You're both retarded. There's been more good Sonic games in the last 15 years than bad & the idea that the comics should be game characters only is fucking retarded.

The people against original content in adaptations tend to not actual read adaptations or know shit about writing. They don't think these things through.

While people like Penders overstate the importance of original content and especially original characters (the Knuckles comic could have easily gone 12 issues without introducing a single OC, Robotnik, Fang and Mogul were more than enough), you're gonna run out of shit to do if you can't establish and resolve character arcs.

user I think you are underestimating the sheer volume of Sonic games that came out in the last 15 years.

>good games (all minimal story, not that a Sonic game with good story couldn't be done)
-Sonic Generations
-Sonic Colors (arguably)
-Sonic Mania

>bad games
-Sonic Heroes
-Shadow the Hedgehog
-Sonic 06
-Sonic & the Secret Rings
-Sonic Unleashed
-Sonic and Black Knight
-Sonic 4 Episode 1 & 2
-Sonic Lost World
These are all unambiguously bad games, maybe you like them personally or like good parts of them, but they're objectively bad overall

>Sonic X comic
Just so you know, Ian was brought on board for the second half of it and saved it by making it a gag comic. The final ten issues especially were amazing.

That's not counting handheld or mobile too

>Sonic Advance
>Sonic Advance 2
>Sonic Advance 3
>Sonic Battle
>Sonic Rush
>Sonic Rush Adventure
>Sonic Colors DS
>Sonic Generations DS
>Sonic Lost World 3DS
>Sonic Heroes
>Shadow The Hedgehog
>Sonic Riders
>Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
>Sonic The Hedgehog 2006
>Sonic & The Secret Rings
>Sonic Unleashed
>Sonic & The Black Knight
>Sonic 4 Episode 1
>Sonic Free Riders
>Sonic 4 Episode 2
>Sonic Colors
>Sonic Generations
>Sonic Lost World
>Sonic Mania
Of these, the Advance trilogy, the Rush games, Colors DS, Battle, Colors, Gens, Unleashed, & Mania were all fun-great games. Riders, Riders ZG, & Lost World were mediocre, & the 4 dualogy, Shadow, 06, the storybook games, & Free Riders are shit games (Heroes is in a weird spot where I have fun with it but hate the controls, & I have no opinions on the DS versions of Gens & LW 3DS). Personally speaking, there's been 11 good Sonic games in the last 15 years, 3 mediocre ones & 7 shit games. 90% is stretching it.

3DS lost world is abysmal.

You also forgot Boom, which is one ridiculously shit game, a 4/10, and a mediocre bordering on good entry.

Fair enough. So 9 shit games compared to 5 mediocre ones & 11 good games.

is that nigga's mug full of ketchup

If I recall, his major change was doing away with trying to tie it to the show and pretending the Metarex storyline never happened so that Sonic's gang stays in Chris's world forever.

I think the whole comic just takes place sometime inbetween the Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation and the end of the second season. The final issue foreshadows Shadow's return (no pun intended) during the third season.

No, it literally disregards Season 3 in full.

An ongoing plot in the second half of X is a bunch of hedgehog-hating humans getting together with the intent to destroy Sonic for humiliating them. One was a commander in GUN who launched an (unauthorized) attack on Eggman during the final arc where time was literally freezing and could only be stopped if Sonic's gang returned home. The comic changes it so that while the attack happened, time never froze and so Sonic's gang never left.

Why does Master emerald even matter? It's just some plot device for certain plots.
>because all of his plots ended by SA2
lol

The final issue sets up for the Metarex arc. It's just some light retcons to justify extended adventures.

Redesigned Sally is cuuuuute. I want more of her.

Those eyelashes make sonic look like girl

There are more game characters now, yes. But here's the thing:

1. IDW/Flynn cannot change their personalities or do anything drastic with them, limiting their flexibility.
2. There might be more, but there are hardly enough characters to make a fully fleshed-out world, and msot of those characters are not the kind that would work by constantly being around.. How many detective plots would they need to have the Chaotix always hanging around? How many time crises would happen so Silver shows up frequently, and the same with interdimensional stuff for Blaze? Does Knuckles no longer guard Floating Island so he can hang around with Sonic and Tails and Amy?
3. The Freedom Fighters all fit roles that the game characters can't because of issue 1, and they provide stories and plots the game characters can't. Using just the game characters would pretty much limit the comic to doing rehashes of the games' plots. They're also there to show that Eggman's ambitions affect more than just Sonic and friends. In the same vein original villans like Naugus allow for more varieties of conflict than just all Eggman all the time, especially when game villian-wise the only other villains have either been small-time annoyances (Babylon Rogues, Fang), only bothered one character (Wendy Witchcart, the Battle Kukku Armada), are storybook characters (Erazor Djinn, King Arthur and Merlina), or are monstrous gods of destruction (Chaos, Biolizard, Iblis, Mephiles, Solaris, Dark Gaia), all of which aren't suited for being recurring villains for one reason or another.

Honestly the Freedom Fighters weren't great at being around all the time either, nor did they bring that much to the table that the game's core cast didn't. I can totally get behind loads of new side characters and villains, but I always hated that the world was mostly populated with nothing but Freedom Fighters, most of whom were all clones of the main team that changed the dynamic of Sonic's character.