Monstress Story Time

I'm bored out of my mind and there's nothing good on the board.
Let's read Monstress, written by Marjorie Liu and drawn by Sana Takeda.

I'v been seeing a lot of Monstress threads here lately, what's going on?

I dunno, I just finished reading what's there of it today and thought it was neat enough to post.
Also please don't post images.

Just a quick cheat sheet to make this comic less confusing.

Here's the factions:

The Federation (General Humans and Culmea)
- Culmea (a human order of witches who harvest Arcanics for a magic substance called Lilium)

Dawn and Dusk Court
- Ancients (magical immortal furry creatures)
- Arcanics/Halfbreeds (a race of not as magical human/ancient hybrids ranging from looking human, all the way to full on furry again)
- allied with them is a race of talking cats

Old Ones

Anyone in here?

There been a few threads about it before, perhaps people have already read it. But yeah, I'm still here.

If someone storytimed it recently, I must've missed it.

Desuarchive comes up with nothing. I'll just keep going.

Fucking A thank you OP

No problem.

End of the oversized first issue.

My biggest problems with this series;

1) edgy 'OC character do not steal' dealing with a demon/dark inside her is the plot of so many fanfictions and stories

2) the lore and info dumps are overwhelming especially since a lot of it has little to do with the actual plot. You know you're doing something wrong when they have entire pages devoted to lore that isn't very engaging. And I like lore.

But regardless, thanks OP. I've been looking to download a free version of it just for the art alone.

Onto the regular sized issues.

i'm here and reading, poor cyclops boy

I don't really disagree. The world building isn't handled well at the start. It both doesn't tell you enough to let you really make heads or tails of everything and it then tells you way too much about stuff you can't properly process yet.
The lore isn't even that complicated. It's just not told well at the start.

As far as the edgy main character goes, Liu apparently really liked X-23 and took a whole bunch of character traits off her. Maika isn't the exact same character, but they share a lot of traits and tropes.
I don't mind though, I like X-23.

Ultimately it's the art that makes th

>Ultimately it's the art that makes th
is series above average.
Liu isn't a terrible writer, but she's just a little bit mediocre. Poor introduction of the world aside, I do like what she ultimately came up with.

Man, this book has nice monster design

I love this book. My fav Image book atm. I thought second volume was better than first. I will give you bumps

While the story isn't the most engaging so far, I do love the lore we've gotten so far. The world does sound really interesting, and the little segments at the end of the book for worldbuilding are my favorite parts of each issue.

I used to love Takada for her amazing cheesecake. Her Ms Marvel is most fsmous but she did a lot. To see her do horrow now while keeping the female beauty is amazing

Yeah, I think the second volume was a lot better too. It really helped that the ground rules of the world were finally sorted out by that point.