Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wxjajj3GTG4
strawpoll.me/14143685
vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oxoc6dyAsZ1v79cwg_480.mp4#_=_
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah.

Just muscle through the first season and it's pretty decent. Solid 7/10

Short answer:Yes
Long answer: it takes a while for the story to get going and given its a show for kids pulls the random adventure of the week stick. Season two is when the story picks up and gets going some. Should you drop everything and watch it now no, but if you find the time and want to fill with it somthing not shit then watch it.
>general note: finish the shoe then look up fandom shit so that way you don't hate/love the show on association.

It's pretty good once it picks up.

Don't skip the first season though, some very important shit is established in it

What if I'm not looking for a story heavy "deepest lore" shitshow most cartoons have transcended to these days?

Don't ever invest in anyone who isn't Star or Marco. They are disposable.

Only after Gravity Falls.
Lore doesn't make a show shit, bad writing does.

When I said "story" it's just backstory to some shit. Only the ending gets really deep lore style. The rest is just the chacters day to day shit with some foreshadows here and there with the tail end of season 2 having episodes being more narrative driven.

>Bad writing does
Which most lore centered shows are guilty of

>Having a story and paying attention to its own comtinuity makes a show shit

Yes, if you like hardcore cuckqueaning action.

Having an ongoing narrative and continuity=!Debbest rore

Of course not, you've been influenced by a small number of popular recent cartoons that do tend to do that more often than not. But looking at cartoons in general, it's usually the ones without continuity that have the worst writing by far, it's not even a close contest.

The great cartoons of the early 2000s had no problem combining brilliantly written individual episodes with deep, comprehensive lore.

ye

Most of us watched the pilot, hated ponyhead and an obvious adult voicing a 15 year old girl and then came back to it once we realized ponyhead wasn't a heavily recurring character and that marco wasn't going to be the token cuck

It's a nice show. Don't let yourself get scared off by Ponyhead, the worst character in the entire show. You don't introduce a character like Ponyhead in the second episode. You just don't.

It's really good.

It is OK to be disposable if you are the best. Enjoy little beautiful things.

the show does have some continuity and ongoing plot but also has humor and slight wackyness as it's backbone without going to either extreme.
i'd say you should give it a try even if ponyhead is somewhat obnoxious and watch it in order, also if you go to the threads there will be some spoilers along with memes and shitposts galore, specially on hiatuses.

>marco wasn't going to be the token cuck
Well, not YET, at least.

That's good news for Jackie

source?

This the new Star thread?

The only show I've been actively obsessed about in about a decade. Your mileage may vary, but it's been a sheer joy for me.

Season 1 is incredibly average, but Season 2 and 3 are god tier.

This came out today, I liked it and kinda summarizes the show well

youtube.com/watch?v=Wxjajj3GTG4

I just remembered it's Friday the 13th
What's the spookiest thing in this show?

Hungry Larry. Right? Right guys?

>Shitting on Ludo
>"Star is just lolrandumb and Marco does nothing wrong"
>"The show used to be WACKYXD but now it's about racism and historical revisionism"
>"Season 3 has been exclusively plot-driven and interesting so far"
>Minute long outro for a 3 minute video
Who the fuck is this ignorant pleb and why is he directing anyone cancerous enough to follow him to my show

But hey, he likes Jackie

Which I didn't expect considering how he described Wendy in GF

It's almost like Jackie is a better character

Meh

wings

Thank you, I thought I was the only one.

Was more surprised that he included Hope.

Mmm

>Jackie being a better character than even Wendy
Honestly not an opinion I've heard before

>silky smooth to the touch
>can taste the slightest hint of cinnamon

Cute character designs do funny things to guys' brains.

I'm a huge Starco fan but even I admit Jackie is leagues better above Wendy.

I don't think many would disagree that at least in terms of those two characters, Jackie is much higher than Wendy

Jackie is actually a fucking character, where as Wendy is barely one. Of course it's easy to make this comparison.
Not saying I don't agree, I do agree.

Wendy is an actual character.
Jackie is a plot device.

And I hate SVTFOE so much more now. Why does Disney keep renewing this fucking shit?

Actual Spooky Stuff that I had an "oh shit" reaction to when I first saw it not knowing what to expect
>Moon's drained body on the floor in Starcrushed
>Goo Toffee rising from the corrupted magic
Granted that sense of "spooky" didn't last too long but considering it's not trying to be a horror or anything I'd say those moments were done well

>GF fans are still active
ughhhhh

I'm surprised
Wendy actually did stuff

But Wendy is cute too supposedly

>Wendy is an actual character.
>Jackie is a plot device.
Are you aware those terms aren't mutually exclusive?
Aren't you just trying to spin the fact that Jackie is far more relevant and impactful to her show?

Supposedly being the keyword here. IMO all the character designs in Gravity Falls are some degree of spectacularly unattractive.

I hate CalArts so much.

People don't really know what plot device means anymore, it's just a catch all for "characters I don't like/find interesting" (even if in this case, the character actually is a plot device, but one who serves her purpose well and is actually fairly entertaining)

In a GF thread, or even some Star vs ones, I'd see exactly the opposite be argued

They're not entirely exclusive, but it's difficult to have both. And a show like this one that doesn't even have actual writers cannot do both, ever.

Jackie is used to advance the plot (or portray whatever bullshit the storyboarder suddenly wants Marco to see). She has no character.

Wendy is arguably underdeveloped (I don't agree with that, she's just that type of character) but the vast majority of the time she is not simply advancing the plot, or doing random shit that seems insanely OOC.

>Jackie is used to advance the plot (or portray whatever bullshit the storyboarder suddenly wants Marco to see). She has no character.
I absolutely do not understand this false equivalency. You can "push the plot along" and still show your individual quirks/personality traits along the way.

Most characters advance the plot, dude. And most, not just Jackie, show up only when needed. Buff Frog didn't show up once between Raid the Cave and Puddle Defender.

What the hell does advancing the plot mean to you?

The show is a fun time. Plot and nice continuity are great. The waifu war is kinda shit but that's expected. Lots of potential to look forward to in terms of world building and character development.

Star will most likely win out in the end for the Diaz dick, but I can enjoy the relationship with Jackie now for now.

t. hopelessly Jarco

strawpoll.me/14143685

Anyone else wish that Ruberiot, Fool Duke and the Mime girl would appear in more episodes in the future. I loved Star's biography song and those characters only had 1-3 episode where they had a role and yet they way more interesting than Jackie ever was.
It's an honest to God great show. 8.5/10

I'm just hopelessly pro-Jackie. I just really hope she doesn't go to Ferg and Alf land after Jarco inevitably breaks up, or at the very least they can manage a few more Jarco moments that actually have some substance beyond making Star jealous beforehand.

The fact that you say they were all more interesting than Jackie was, despite two of them only having that one role, shows that you have an inherent bias for novelty, regardless of how fleshed out the characters actually are.

I think Jackie is interesting for what she is, given that she's sort of limited by being a mellow human girl.

"Plot device" literally just means "something used to move the plot forward." There's nothing inherently negative about it, every story ever written with any sort of narrative progression has plot devices by necessity.
People have just associated the term "plot device" with "bad writing" because naked plot devices that didn't naturally flow from or weren't appropriately set up by the story are a common symptom of bad writing.

>Jackie is used to advance the plot (or portray whatever bullshit the storyboarder suddenly wants Marco to see). She has no character.
These statements have nothing to do with each other regardless of how true they are. Jackie's character hasn't gotten nearly as much focus as Star, for example, but that's fucking obvious and to be expected.
She still has a clearly defined personality and it's easy to understand how and why she ended up getting together with Marco, something that the show had been working on since the second episode and took several episodes of direct buildup to make happen. Nothing about what she's done to expand the story and deepen Star's, Marco's and her own character was poorly executed as a naked "plot device" would be.

Okay, let me try putting it a different way because I don't think I can argue about something as basic as that.

Both Jackie and Wendy are "chill" characters. However Jackie seems like that because there is nothing there, so to speak. She is an empty vessel manifesting as a "character" to do whatever the storyboarder suddenly wants.

Wendy OTOH seems like that because that IS her character. She is very much "there", just laid back and relaxed. (Which makes the rare moments she isn't like that quite distressing.)

In short, it's like an empty glass vs. one full of water. Both "transparent", but one of them has actual substance.

Now if they actually do finally stop bullshitting around and make Jackie a fucking mermaid already, that's a WHOLE different story. All her past emptiness is suddenly much more if not quite entirely excusable.

I'm glad someone around here actually shares my sentiments regarding Jackie.

It's fine to not like her, and it's fine to think she needs more development (she does). But to make her this shining example of a hollow character with literally no other purpose doesn't make any sense if you actually paid attention to how they used her and what Star and Marco have had to say about her.

It's entertaining, takes a while to get kicking though. If you have the time to sit through it go a head, well worth it.

Unless Jackie is going to be some mermaid princess or whatever like some people want to believe, I don't think the Earth boy MC will end up with an Earth girl. Most likely ending to the entire series will be Star becomes queen with Marco as King, or Star ruling by herself and Marco staying on Earth with Jackie but I doubt that.

Just going by the fact we are progressing through the high school years, it'll all probably end by their senior year. There are infinite universes with random characters they can introduce, as well as fleshing out both the Mewni world and Earth

>all of these multi-sentence, multi-paragraph posts
Is anyone actually reading this shit?

>She is an empty vessel manifesting as a "character" to do whatever the storyboarder suddenly wants.
And...what would that be? She had no real relevance being a character BEFORE being Marco's girlfriend because she was only indirectly associated with them. Now that she has a direct connection to Marco and Star, now is the time to give her character.

Jackie's been pretty consistently characterized in her appearances. I don't understand what makes you say she is brought up to do what the storyboarders want (whatever that means).

>Jackie seems like that because there is nothing there, so to speak. She is an empty vessel manifesting as a "character" to do whatever the storyboarder suddenly wants.
Show me an example of literally anything Jackie has done up to this point that didn't make sense for her to do.

I never do, damn autists

>t. brainlet

Yes,kinda No

There's usually a SVTFOE related thread somewhere so I read them all. funposting soon mate

But those three are all more interesting than Jackie. Ruberiot and Fool Duke are these struggling artists Ruberiot who has this job at first who wished he could do something better than saccharine trite and worries he'll become a hack; and Fool Duke who uses her foolery as social commentary against her society and gets into arguments with Ruberiot, that is more depth and more entertaing than Jackie, imo. Okay maybe Mime Girl didn't demonstrate a lot, but I'd guess she could act as a straight woman in the trio.

>it's another Jackie debate thread

It just looks like noise to me.
I'm only here for cute Jackie and cute Star!

Again though, she can easily remain a friend to them. It's not like Earth will just be ditched forever because Marco is king; he's still gonna be visiting earth pretty damn often I'd imagine, considering the scissors make distances irrelevant.

>TOO MUCH WORDS FOR MY TINY HEAD.

God forbid anyone discuss anything here

Her "emptiness" was excusable because Marco didn't fucking know her.

Ok then

or. Or. OR too little give a fuck to read your autobiographical novel in comment form.

You have two completely differently-minded groups of people that cannot convince the other side of their opinion. And it's charged because the ones who care about Jackie legitimately fear she'll be lost to irrelevancy.

That's why we get nowhere.

Yeah I just take requests and skim most of the time

I think it's less about character and now more of just having her do more things. To me, she was sort of this carefree chill skater chick who was really nice and was cool with everyone. Now she's going out with Marco and more about her can be explored simply because she isn't some random love interest that pops occasionally. I'm sure we'll discover more about her. I don't think the mermaid princess thing will come true but if it does, more power to Jackie.

I guess the bigger question then is whether or not Marco will remain just a friend, or will the Starco ship actually happen. Lots of PLOT in our future, mate

Why can't we just agree to disagree?

Request:
Draw all the high school characters sitting around at the cafeteria, being 'normal'

The random ass shows of emotion come to mind first and foremost. They're a bit OOC inherently but they also get so over the top, at least compared to what one might expect.
But Dipper didn't know Wendy either until they went through some shit together. She was just some cute chick he was crushing on, exactly like Jackie started out initially.

Because every time someone posts anything neutral about Jackie, someone who loves her comes in, leading to someone who hates her/is indifferent to her making a rebuttal. It happens literally every time she shows up in a thread.

>not looking for story heavy/world building
Go watch Disney shorts from the 50's. Even Darkwing Duck had an ongoing narrative, though it was jumbled a bit with episodes being out of chronological order.

>The random ass shows of emotion come to mind first and foremost.
Uhh...what?
You mean like her shocked face at the end of Starcrushed?
How dare a character have human emotions. Do you take it her character is just supposed to be stoically chill forever, and any show of emotion is out of line?

Would posting crackships alleviate some tension?

>How dare a character have human emotions. Do you take it her character is just supposed to be stoically chill forever, and any show of emotion is out of line?
Man, even when I try to word my posts to avoid sperging like this I still have to suffer from it.

OF COURSE NOT you dumbfuck. But it's a writing failure to make her SO unemotional that any emotion appears OOC, and more importantly that's NOT one of the more relevant instances, you know that quite well, and you're one sneaky sperg for ignoring that fact on purpose.

>hurrrr reading is hard and confusing
sad

>I'm curious. Are there any specific moments that were out of character, or is this just more of a general feel.

I'm always up for more bards. If they're going to have Marco spend time on Mewni for this next season, it'd make sense if he rolled with them for a while.

List of supporting, or minor characters that are more interesting than Jackie:
-Ludo
-Toffee
-Queen Moon
-King River
-Eclipsa
-Buff Frog
-Tom Lucitor
-Mina Loveberry
-Ruberiot
-Fool Duke
-Janna
-Sensei Brantley
-Miss Heinous
-Hekapoo
-Omninatrix Prime
-Rhombulus
-Lekmet
-Glossaryck

>The random ass shows of emotion come to mind first and foremost.
Give a specific example.

>They're a bit OOC inherently
How are you arguing that "Jackie doesn't have any real character" and "Jackie acts out-of-character" at the same time

>Show discussions here are autobiographies
Don't worry user, if you believe in yourself and dip down, reading comprehension won't be that hard.

I'm sorry everyone, but, from now on, all shoulders must be censored due to their inherent lewdness. This isn't something that was easy to decide. This may be difficult to face, but, shoulders must now be covered at all times in the vicinity of this thread. There are young impressionable 18 year olds that reside in these threads, these are our future generations. We have a lot at stake here. Such lewd shoulders cannot be tolerated.

-StarFan13
-Kelly
-Baby
-Rasticore
-Gemini

vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_oxoc6dyAsZ1v79cwg_480.mp4#_=_

>But it's a writing failure to make her SO unemotional that any emotion appears OOC
I have to say, "Jackie is a Rei clone" is a new one