So does anyone here know why Ultimate Green Goblin is an actual goblin...

So does anyone here know why Ultimate Green Goblin is an actual goblin? This version of Norman Osborne was injected with Peter's blood, so why doesn't he turn into a spider? Also, did the writers not like the old green goblin design with the glider? Why does he control fire? Spider DNA = Control fire?

Bendis has a great imagination

Because Ultimate Spider-Man is overrated. I have no idea why Ult. Gobby is like that, it just makes him indistinct from the Lizard.

He didn't use spider DNA on himself, dumbass. He says as much in #3.

Because Bendis is an idiot.

It’s not Peter’s blood that causes the transformation. It’s the Oz formula in Peter’s blood.

I think Peter is bitten by a spider that was given the OZ formula, whereas Norman took straight OZ

Because its the fucking green goblin you mongoloid.

Green goblin was always a lanky dude on a flying sauceboard, not an actual goblin

Because Bendis hates superhero comics.

The whole point of Ultimate was to do things differently

My only problem with the design is that he is too hulky. He needs to be more skinny.

Come on, get us some gadgets or a good costume. I love the fireballs thing, it is kind of cool.

but if they made him an evil version of spider man he wouldn't be the green goblin any more.
in this iteration he is at least both green and looks like a goblin

this

I don't want him to be an evil version of spider man, I just want him to make sense.

And yet they could do things differently WITH creativity.
The Green Goblin is such a fucking creative villain, a business man that dresses like an elf, rides a bat glider, wears a purse filled with pumpkin bombs, wtf. And yet he's so good it just became a visual pop reference, you see it and you know it's the fucking Green Goblin.

Then Ultimate Goblin comes in. It's a demon. That's it, a really fucking generic demon. It's strong and big, like most monsters, it shoots fire, the most basic elemental attack, and has horns and fangs.
What a piece of shit. Bendis is a hack.

The Oz formula that turned Peter into spider man was one of many many strands of the same formula. Norman got it right in his spider experiment and couldn't get it right again.
His demon steroids version was as close as he could get again.

He was a Hulk monster that threw fireballs at first. At least they slimmed him up later.

My boy.

Because it's trying to do something different instead of being an exact remake of the original Spiderman.

>people hating on ultimate green goblin and USM
Give Sup Forums enough time and they'll hate anything.

>WAAAAHH WAAAAHHH
This is you right now, Bendis.

Because Ultimate was the stupid What If universe. Nothing has any reason to exist but "it's like 616 with a derivative twist".

He got a point, Sup Forums hates anything about marvel.

I don't know that I'd call 616 Goblin "lanky" or "skinny" really, he's pretty muscular but he's just like, normal muscular (as far as comics are concerned), not a Hulk ripoff like Ultimate

I don't remember anybody ever liking Ultimate Goblin....it's literally a Hulk ripoff only demonic, not creative or cool at all

This. Green Goblin's origin was from a time when basically all the super-powers in the Ultimate universe came from trying to replicate the super-soldier serum that created Captain America.

To be fair, Marvel had a sales plan that was literally anger equals sales. How do you respond to a company who thinks the best way to get your money is by doing the equivalent of leaving a flaming shitbag on your porch?

I actually liked the concept and execution of most of Ulimate Spider-Man.
Bagley's art though, was very VERY irritating and off-putting.

I don't disagree with you, but why?

user, I wasn't commenting on the 616 design. I was adding my opinion on the Ulitmate goblin design.

I was saying that ultimate goblin should be more skinny to make him scarier.

Hes just a spiky bald Hulk.

Im not a fan of the design.

>Bagley's art though, was very VERY irritating and off-putting.

I feel ya. It looks like everyone's skeleton is stretched and he has a serious case of sameface, it was hard to take serious sometimes.

He used human DNA tampered in the same way that the spider's DNA was tampered with, which resulted in him becoming a super-evolved human instead of a more tame spider-human hybrid ala Peter.

What I wanna know is why the Goblin serum in 616 made Norman look normal, but later it was changed to make people look like Ultimate Goblins.

Ultimate Steve Rogers was theorized to be the perfect subject because his psychological profile was ideal. The Serum magnified the self-less qualities in Ultimate Steve, thus he became the pinnacle of human performance. This was all speculation from Ultimate Erskine's notes.

The OZ formula probably reacted to Norman's psyche in a similar manner; he manifested his inner darkness to become a wannabe Hulk-Demon hybrid.

TIME IS MONEY, FRIEND!

You are doing literal "not muh"

Mark Bagley admitted in an interview that he was not very excited about working in this book, and (paraphrasing here) somewhat half-assed this book until he realized that the book was here to stay.

kek
Was it racist?

>an actual goblin?

Goblin my ass, he's a Hulk.

That's honestly pretty based.

Ultimate deserved half ass effort, it was a half ass concept.

Bagley half-asses everything he makes anyway.

Bagley stated he did not understand what Bendis wanted with the character design. His notes did not detail anything on his gear and Bagley originally drew him with a human skin tone, a green goblin head and purple ballerina pants.
It was godawful.

Bagley has same face but the concepts were sound when Bendis actually informed him of what to do (like Ultimate Rhino being a Stark Armor contrast, etc)

The same shit happened with Venom, Quesada wanted the webs to make a Venom byproduct, and Bendis told him that was stupid in the Hardcover.

The ideas for the reimagening came from all sides, often they merge in one direction. Osborn eventually got regular Green Hulk because “everyone is a by product of Captain America” but since the Goblin is green they just put it all over his body.

The Glider never came because the Goblin left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth from the start. The only concept for an Ultimate Glider was in the cartoon show but the comic would never see it.

Still more effort than Bendis.

Just a thought that randomly entered my mind....

Peter is Jewish, right? Goblins are a European myth from days of old....also, his Pumpkin Bombs obviously lend a Halloween theme to things, a holiday obviously based on Pagan tradition

Do you think any thought was put into making Normans alter ego a sort of Pagan antithesis to Parker's Abrahamic heritage?

>Peter is Jewish, right?
No, Bendis just writes him as speaking with a lot of Yiddish slang despite being a fucking Queens kid because Bendis is lazy.

>Do you think any thought was put into making Normans alter ego a sort of Pagan antithesis to Parker's Abrahamic heritage?
No. Stan wanted him to be some fucking Egyptian monster. Dikto wanted him to be human just not Norman. It's like the Joker, they didn't set out with him to create Batman's archnemesis, writers just noticed the parallels and played with them until Miller and Moore cemented it in the mainstream. Or how Lex didnt start out with the humanistic tendencies. Or how Magneto was just a generic evil-doer until Claremont.

And worse in most cases

>Peter is Jewish, right?

Bendis' cancerous touch really has infected Marvel for far too long