So why was what is part of current day Canada not included in the newly independent United States...

So why was what is part of current day Canada not included in the newly independent United States? I mean the entire Area was under British control, why did the border stop there?

the tl;dr is pirates

American privateers buttfucked Nova Scotia and it remained under British control because they disliked us.

Nova Scotia was well garrisoned by the Brits and culturally distinct from the thirteen colonies. Quebec was content with British rule and culturally distinct from the rest of British North America. The rest of Canada at the time was either unsettled or too sparsely populated to be of any value.

It wasn't so much "content with British rule" as "satisfied with the Quebec Act"

Canada, getting cucked since 1776

You have to take into consideration that the 13 colonies were still in fact independent, self sustaining colonies. If Nova Scotia wanted in on the freedom train they would have joined us

Canada has been freshly colonized by new waves of bongistanis after the French and Indian War.

They were British, not American, so they were Tories for the most part, and that's why so many American Tories cucked up north during and after the war.

bump, threads like these are very intresting.

tfw part French part united empire loyalist from Pennsylvania

There's not much more to say really. Canada was firmly under British rule and didn't have enough people or enough value to become independent. After the Revolution something like 100,000 loyalists migrated to Canada which cemented Britain's hold on the northern Territories for the roughly 200 years it took Britain to slowly ween Canada into a fully sovereign nation.

Newly conquer land from France.
Lot of troop Garrison there.

and then they picked a leaf for a flag.

The Articles of Confederation were written such that Canada could join. They just never did.

Always did wonder this since I live in Nova Scotia.

It was that or a buttplug. They made the best decision they had available to them.

...then wouldn't you fucking know? I mean America gets shit on for our education but we were at least taught about what factors lead to the creation of America as a nation. It wasn't just Columbus then *poof* America! There were almost 300 years of history in between.

Most Anglos are relatively recent immigrants (less than 100 years), and they don't give a shit about Canada's history

>canada
>history

choose one.

More important shit to care about. Plus I don't think you understand how shit this province is.

Or both, as long as you change the spelling from Canadian to Canadien

Oh Jesus Fuck, you frogs need to fuck right off.

Yeah, it would be much easier for you to be rootless atomised consumers without us around, right?

It would just be a lot less irritating to be alive.

I'm glad we stress you out so much, I barely think of you at all

You barely think about the country you actively want to separate from?

Keep my pogey coming.

Tim Hortons isn't even Canadian anymore. What "country" do you have?

I'd ask you the same question but you don't have a country.

For a while.

The license plates in Quebec read "Je me souviens", meaning "I remember", basically expressing a long-standing grudge.

The Front de Libération du Québec caused a stir back during the 60's. They were bombing shit left and right, capturing and killing politicians, etc.

Pierre-Elliott Trudeau (Weedman's father) had to use the War Measures Act to quell them. Martial law in Montreal. Soldiers on every street corner.

It died down for a while after, though there are a lot of people in our generation who are very fervently separatist and, after having lost multiple referendums on it, would not be too shocking if they resorted to similar tactics to the FLQ.

Quebec is in rough shape and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Believe me when I say the US doesn't want to deal with them. The politics of the province are the definition of toxic.

Rather have a nation that is temporarily without a state than have a state this is permanently without a nation

Th War of 1812. We tried to take Canadian clay and got rekt.

The thing is, until recently, Quebecers didn't really learn English.

I'm 29. In my area, they didn't start teaching English until we were in 5th grade. They've gradually moved that earlier and earlier (My kid bro's group started in 1st grade), but there was always a lot of resistance.

Hell, resistance to education itself has been an issue for a long time. The majority of "pure-laine" families (Early French colonist families who basically never left the province or married anyone who wasn't also pure-laine) worked in agriculture, lumber, mining or similar jobs and, as a culture, Quebecers have a tendency to hang on to tradition quite a bit. Getting a college education (or, indeed, even finish their high school education) wasn't seen as a priority for many.

>My father didn't need a fancy education and neither did his father or his father before him!

When you get Anglophones with college educations showing up and earning tons of money, it bred a lot of resentment. You'd end up with a situation where the Foreman would be an Anglo and everyone else would be a Francophone muttering shit under their breath every time they had to deal with him.

>Fucking Anglo's get all the good jobs

All that to say, people couldn't really find out what was going on outside of the province. English aptitude was just not there.

Now imagine all media within the province being owned by a handful of companies.

Then imagine the entire school system being completely overtaken by cultural marxists with a strong penchant for separatism.

Up until 8th grade, all history classes we had (and we had history as part of the curriculum starting in 3rd or 4th grade) was pretty much solely about Quebec. Years and years of covering the same things over and over again.

>The Anglo's stole your land from you

When all of your society is constantly telling you the same shit over and over again and every time you're home your family is salty about some Anglo at your father's work... It's not surprising people end up so damn hostile.