Why do people criticize 80s animation so much? It had so many great shows...

Why do people criticize 80s animation so much? It had so many great shows. I see people say "The 80s was a dark time for animation" when it really wasn't.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZviemBWC8SU
youtube.com/watch?v=6Cy2FM2VwVo
kimcartoon.me/Cartoon/Centurions
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Come on in, its time to party.

It was merch driven and commies don't like that

When people criticize 80s animation, they're criticizing cartoons like G.I. Joe, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, and all the other lifeless, dull cartoons that only existed to sell toys and that the animators hated working on. Around the late 80s a few shows popped up that kickstarted the "90s renaissance", they aren't counted as 80s cartoons.

>unironically claims lasagnacat is good anything

But the merch driven shows have the most dedicated fans that keep the faith alive 20-30 years after the shows ended

And now we have 7 TMNT movies, 6 Transformers movies, 2 GI:Joe movies, and all of them have become pop culture icons

Rabblr rabble rabble he's a cat and I know that

>Why do people criticize 80s animation so much?

The direction of the cartoon was heavily controlled by corporate. Storyboarders were just cogs in the machine, and you didn't need any actual animation talent to work on the shows - the actual animation was done overseas, as was most of the design work. Heck, see this screenshot? All the characters in Inspector Gadget were designed by the same team that did Lupin III, despite IG being a French cartoon and Lupin being Japanese

In the 90s it became more acceptable to give full control of the show to the lead animators, ala Ren and Stimpy. The animation was done overseas still, but designs, plots, and the animation instructions got more outlandish and zany

By the late 90s cartoons on broadcast TV were pretty much dead, and so too were big budgets. Animators still controlled their shows (for the most part), but designs and backgrounds got simpler, and things moved less. Inspired by anime, Genndy Tartakovsky was pretty much the master of milking long dialog scenes to save budget for a rewarding action climax, which eventually spread to the Powerpuff Girls and the shows that came after

The 2000s saw the rise of the storyboarder as the a powerful force behind the cartoon, and now in the 2010s they are definitely dominant. The 2000s also saw the return of domestic animation thanks to cheap computer-assisted tools like Flash. But it was Flash and looked like ass. Luckily the tools have gotten better. On a negative side, the 2010s also saw a large spike in shows with "lore", but since the average cartoon is 8-12 minutes long and still meant to be watched in reruns, the "lore" is often very superficial and quickly resolved

Only good cartoons from 80s:

-Ducktales
-Garfield and Friends
-Thundercats
-Real Ghostbusters
-He-Man

nothing else

the smurfs?

The 80's was the era of tracing or Xeroxing the model sheets to keep everything on model. Don't get me wrong, making sure characters look like themselves is important, and in some cartoons things can get off model to that point that it's hard to follow, but the 80's took it too far.

>no centruions, visionaires knights of the magical light or inhumanoids
what a shit list

youtube.com/watch?v=ZviemBWC8SU
cartoon kino. i had to make a second post because im so mad at that guys list

youtube.com/watch?v=6Cy2FM2VwVo
another 80's cartoon kino. im still mad but not as mad as i just opened a drpepper

>in the near future
>the twin towers still standing

oops

these look fun

honestly, id love a network or stream that just ran random 80s cartoons all the time, it's almost like lost media at this point

alternate reality?

Usually that was just Filmation or R/S. Most Marvel shows went far off model, for better or (often) for worse.

To say nothing about H-B and how bad it got, what with them outsourcing to Australia and Taiwan for the better part of the decade.

I don't understand that reference

Those good 80s cartoons are so far and few inbetween. 70s and 80s was a really rough time for cartoons no matter who you ask

>Zenigata and Inspector Gadget
haha saved

Is it wrong that I kind of want to see that Inspector Gadget/Lupin III crossover become a thing now?

>90s renaissance
What? Let me tell you something: Nothing good was born in the 90s. I've hated that decade since 1997.

I remember watching this show as a kid because Garfield's voice was really relaxing but I don't remember a single significant event.

The Smurfs, Muppet Babies, Beetlejuice, Mario Super Show, Zelda, Transformers, GI Joe, ThunderCats, He-Man, Ninja Turtles, Inspector Gadget, Captain N, Gummi Bears, Winnie the Pooh, DuckTales, She-Ra, Rescue Rangers, Jem, Pup Named Scooby-Doo, Pac-Man, Saturday Supercade, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Spidey and His Amazing Friends were all awesome

Also Garfield and Friends and The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show

Fuck, I miss the 80s

>Mario Super Show, Zelda, GI Joe, He-Man, Captain N, She-Ra, Pac-Man, Saturday Supercade
user while those shoes are all charming in their own rights they're a far cry from good. And hell I'd argue that Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Gummi Bears, Jem, and Alvin and the Chipmunks were all pretty mediocre, although I know that those are sacred cows for some people.

Don't get me wrong, the 80's did have plenty of good shows, you'll note that I consider several of the shows you posted good or even great, but overall the decade was pretty mediocre and didn't really start to pick up until its closing years.

>>>/reddit/

Gummi Bears actually paved the way for DuckTales. It was Disney's first TV animated show.

Rescue Rangers was 1989. Also what about Gummi Bears

kimcartoon.me/Cartoon/Centurions

You remember the 80s. Sure ya do. I was born in 75 and was the target demographic throughout the decade, and everything sucked. Everything. The only good cartoons were reruns of things made before 1960. Our obsessions were video games and Spielberg etc movies with splashy special effects. Nobody liked, say He-Man or the Smurfs shows and got toys because of them. They got He-Man or Smurfs toys and tried to watch the shows. And gave up, because the shows sucked.

Animation revived because Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, which ignored anything current and borrowed from pre-1960 cartoons. And that was in 1988. By the time actual shows were produced to ride that trend, 1990 was almost there. And they were still initially drawing off older material. Batman? Max Fleisher's Superman plus live action noir. Duck Tales? Carl Barks comics from the 40s and 50s. Ren and Stimpy? Bob Clampett. Tiny Toons? Too easy.

The 80s were boring. Not just the cartoons, the years themselves. Even for kids, they were weird. Yes, lots of synth pop and lasers in the entertainment, but nobody lives in a pop culture bubble back then like the fucking Goldbergs show. The 80s were stifling and dull. Now is better.

The Smurfs was not a merchandise driven show. Also, it was a great fucking show and it had morals

Nope. They sucked.

>and it had morals
Hot damn really? You don't fucking say? Every fucking show from that period had morals and moral lessons, hell most shows today still do. If that's your qualifier for a good cartoon than there basically ARE no bad cartoons.

What's about colorful horses?
I thought it was pretty popular back then.
Does we allowed to discuss horses of '80 here?

The Garfield cartoon has no right to be as good as it is. Do the writers liked him better than Jim Davis did?