Why do heroes of old myths, such as Heracles, Arthur, Cuchulainn, Rama, Momotaro...

Why do heroes of old myths, such as Heracles, Arthur, Cuchulainn, Rama, Momotaro, or Sun Wunkong not qualify as superheros? Just like your superheroes of today, they too are large than life characters and saved the lives of others.

They're not corporate-owned and exist solely to sell products.

Many argue that they do count.

> Hercules
Well, Marvel does have him as a superhero
> Cu
Cu is way too anime for this world. Hell, he is too anime for actual anime!
> Rama, Sun
Just wait until we have popular Indian orChinese comics (read: never)
> Arthur
Arthur’s problem is as follows. He only has two stories. One is his ascension to power, which is kind of his origin story. And another one is getting cucked by Lancelot/getting killedby Mordred. Now, Lancelot would be more proper superhero (or, better, Tristan)

/thread
no

Both Morrison and Gaiman have said that comics are just "modern mythology".

It's not the popular opinion.

Are they right, though?

>Heracles
This guy was a sociopath not a hero.
>Arthur
Only wanted to be king
>Sun Wunkong
Douchebag that liked to fight, not really interested on wasting his time saving people
>Momotaro
Demon Hunter

Anyway those characters in general don't spend their lives protecting civilians, they don't hold back to not hurt others, they kill innocents if they can get something from it etc.

Is wanting to be a king not heroic now? Is seeking glory frowned upon?
Truly, we have lost our way

Adding: Arthur’s whole work ethos was protecting innocent, civilians, women and faithful. He created his knights specifically with that mission!

Maybe "heroic" but not superheroes.

Hercules destroyed an entire village to get a girl,Arthur never cared about people outside his kingdom.

Superheroes main goal is helping civilians, the villains don't really matter since they can flee many times but to protect their victims.

What exactly makes a superhero, super? Beowulf swam in the sea for five days and nights, without pause. That is super as fuck. Show me Batman, Spider-man, Iron Fist or some other street level heroes doing shit like that. Beowulf is a Superhero in my eyes.

>Sun Wunkong
Are you kidding? We don't have a week without him getting pitted against Supes.

Goku stopped being the monkey king a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago, friend.

>Arthur never cared about people outside his kingdom

So like Namor? Or Tchalla? DOOM? Black Adam?

I've heard people argue Mario is a superhero.

>Namor
Anti hero
>Tchalla
He's half of the time being part of the avengers and helping americans
>DOOM? Black Adam?
Supervillains

mythology is handed down through millenia

no one cares about One More Day anymore.

>Hercules
OP said Heracles

the concept of "superhero" was born with Superman and other similar figures that followed soon after
it's used to refer to people who dress up in ridiculous costumes and fight villains in comicbooks
those guys you mentioned were pretty different
basically every superhero is a hero, but not every hero is a superhero

I'd watch a Guan Yu/Batman crossover

>Douchebag that liked to fight, not really interested on wasting his time saving people
And yet Goku is considered a superhero.

Of course people incredibly biased would say that. They are quite wrong in their assessment however.

>Hercules
Ha!

At least two those do

Why did you chose one more day out everything else? Would it be more appropriate to make this claim about the characters themselves?

>Douchebag that liked to fight, not really interested on wasting his time saving people
And yet Goku is considered a superhero.

they're the same person

And people who work at McDonalds probably call what they sell food

It only means both are wrong

characters alone do not constitute a myth

myths are stories that are passed down.

>obtained Godhood in the newest series
I don't think so.

Speaking of Sun Wukong, it's a shame Marvel didn't do much with him. Thought he was actually pretty cool.

Hercules, Wukong, Arthur Pendragon, Cuchulain, and Rama-Tut are all in Marvel Comics. I think that the only one who isn't a hero in the comics is Rama-Tut. I want to punch you in the head, OP.

Dragonball goku is nothing like Sun Wunkong, Goku is far closer to Superman than Sin Wukong from the original story.

He's not. Maybe the American dub version since I hear they changed his personality a lot.

What is Marvel's Cu Chulainn like?

i'd argue that both batman and superman have endured to that point. batman's basically just an extension of mythology by being a modern day zorro.

I wonder if Marvel's Cu Chulann has his berserker rage that warps and ripples reality?