What’s his backstory?

What’s his backstory?

Other urls found in this thread:

empireonline.com/movies/news/last-jedi-exclusive-rian-johnson-talks-snoke-kylo-ren/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unless he's Plagueis it will suck

He loves gooooold

>Unless he's Plagueis it will suck
This.

>He can save others from death but not himself.
Why is that ironic?

I will
thank you, father

He was taken in by Palpatine when he was a young man to be his apprentice. Palpatine then quickly abandoned him upon acquiring Vader. He sought to prove himself to the Emperor and challenged Vader to a duel. Vader wounded him and left him for dead. He witnessed the fall of the Empire and quickly took advantage of the power vacuum to create the First Order.

Snoke is actually Darth Snoke.

What?He had Maul as his first aprentice then right after replaced him fot Dooku that got replaced right after for Anakin and then he tried to replace him for Luke

Bullshit. Plagueis is the worst outcome. Outside of being the most predictable, it ties it back to events from centuries before the prequels, rather than moving the story forward at all.

If it has to be that he's someone we've met before, or someone's father or whatever it is will be the subject of either the next trilogy or the further expanded universe, it being a ghost story that Palpatine tempted Anakin with is an easy getout.

Well, the Sith haven't appeared as a species, so maybe he's a new True Sith?

I'm still going for the moon angels species that Anakin talks about. It's daft enough to work.

He's Ezra

If that article about the toy being feminine isn't bullshit, her story probably is the new canon version of the daughter or abeloth

Those angels showed up in The Clone Wars.

If he's Plagueis it will be fucking stupid

They already said they have no plans to make up a backstory for him because they are lazy fucks like that.

Source

>“We got the whole story of Palpatine’s rise to power in the prequels, but in the original films he’s exactly what he needs to be, which is just ‘The Emperor.’ He’s a dark force: the scary thing behind the thing. That was entirely how I approached Snoke. I wasn’t interested in explaining where he came from or telling his history, except where it serves this story.”

empireonline.com/movies/news/last-jedi-exclusive-rian-johnson-talks-snoke-kylo-ren/

Palpatine was his apprentice.

They needed to reboot the whole shebang due to nostalgia, so you have ersatz stormtroopers, an ersatz death star, an ersatz Darth Vader and an ersatz emperor

The audacity of these people. They literally just wanted a stand in for Palpatine so they could harness the nostalgia for the OT.

>I wasn’t interested in explaining where he came from or telling his history,
>i'm going to leave that to the faggot that created this discount voldermort piece of shit maguffin
>Same with Rey

Snoke is really Luke and his "island" is just a hologram on Snoke's spaceship. The force needs conflict to grow and expand so Luke created this whole First Order nonsense for it to happen while pulling some stunt like going into hiding so that he can be like the Man Behind the Curtain in Wizard of Oz.

Why he's doing this? Fuck if I know. Maybe he's planning some Garden of Eden type thing with Rey and Ben and wants to create perfect balance by making the offspring of a Sith and a Jedi

He had an unfortunate shmelting accident.

Snoke is Luke
Hairy hobo who trains Rey is actually Bigger Luke

Snoke's Poke and Stroke
(Formerly Sheev's)

This here. Its all rather lame. It feels like
>They did all the worldbuilding with the prequels
>The EU did all the interesting things
>so we wil just make a basic story and retell the original trilogy, but everything will just be bigger.

He's Luke after surviving Kylo's outburst. the one that Rey meets is using the force to make him look normal.

This perfectly sums up why Disney Wars is bad.
>Why is everyone fighting? Who cares. Cool space battles lel.

I'm not sure why everything about him is something that needs to be tightly kept secret and only revealed slowly later on.

He seems to be a pretty important mover and shaker in the universe but we still know less about him than what John Q public nobody in the galaxy knows about him. Clearly he interacted with Leia and Han sometime back when.

And I don't think we will ever see the knights of Ren, not sure why anyone ever bothered to name them if they were nto going to appear ever.

it's shit because it isn't a palpatine clone

Except Sheev > "the Emperor"

Didn't they say something similar about Rey too?

Back when people were speculating her parents the crew stated that her parents do not matter and there is not going to be any special reveal about them at all?

>it's shit because it isn't a palpatine clone
Well technically is the same character in every way.

Those angels look just like Snoke. I'm really hoping Snoke's an angel for pottery reasons. But they have to do it quick before JJ takes control, as he won't let anything connect to the prequels.

>I Will! Thank you father!

This just seems like terrible storytelling

when one invents a setting they have to have it make some level of sense. So super ultra powerful bad guy needs to come from somewhere. He does not need the EU autistic levels of backstory where they have multiple books dedicated to his inner thoughts and shitty childhood etc, but some kind of mention with 1-2 random lines of dialog is enough

I can believe it. They have a female character, why bother to give her any story? Diversity is more important than plot.

I hope thats just because they dont want to spoil or dont really know till the next movies.
Even in the prequels we get more and more to know about Luke.

HE'S A NAZI!!!!!!!!!!1 HES DONNALDRUMPFFF!!

Is there any EU work that points out the design and doctrinal flaws in AT-ATs?

Me neither. Thats kinda 101 writing class.
If you just make him mysterious by giving her no backstory, it will always feel bland.I dont remember any mysterious character were we at least get a flashback that something character forming happend. Like Luke loosing his aunt and uncle, getting info about his dead getting "killed" by the empire. At least that motivated him to fight the empire and be a jedi.
Thats the reason many disliked Anakin in Episode 1. He was just there. But atleast he could draw from the prophecy of Darth Vader.
Was in 7 anything that was more than just dragging the story along?

In ANH we knew just about everything we ever really needed to know about Luke in the first 20 minutes.

We know fucking nothing about Rey after a whole movie. At least tell us why she loves that fucking pole so much.

No.
He is...
THE AMALGAMATION OF DRUMPF AND PUTIN!
As if both went through a portal device like the Fly

We still learned a bit more about Anakin in just Ep1.

We knew he was some space jesus, his mom was captured by pirates and sold to slavers on Tattoine. We know that he is strangely good at piloting things even though he was 6, and given some explanation for it. And we hear some bits about what he has been doing on Tattooine.

We know fuckall about Rey or what she is about.

But then who was Luuke?

Dont know, but in Dark Empire they show how Luke can destroy one by hitting their weak spot. Or in the second volume there are special monsters that are evolved to destroy At-Ats

You are right. Ben is a good vehicle to tell Lukes story and Luke family helps that too.
And even over the episodes we get to know more about Lukes family. But with that answer, it sounds that Rey will be never explained, even not in SW9

I don't care much about nu-canon since its shit... but he looks like some deformed Vader, so my 2 cents goes to "deformed Vader clone who went rogue".

After an accident, Luke got seperated in a dark and light side of the force. Rey met Luke the Jedi.

Snoke's Feed and Seed
Formerly Chuck's

I don't like the fact that he's digital and not a human actor

that just sucks major cock, he should have been a man in some sort of mask not a full CGI bullshit character

I consider that to be like Rey is a scrap collector, good with technic, good pilot and force sensitive stranded on a sand planet.
But after you wrote it down, Even Anakin has more character defining moments than just "he is good at something".
I cant remember that we get any explanation why Rey is on that planet, collects crap and why she is motivated to fight the first order.
Heck even in Rouge One we get backstory why hse fights the emperium to get the death star plans.
We even get more character building backstory for Kylo. It seems, Rey is just a token MC and Kylo is the real main. And most women and feminists are happy with that. lol

>I cant remember that we get any explanation why Rey is on that planet,

we get a quick flashback of someone leaving her on the planet when she was a small babby, it's intended to be a mystery, but it's obvious they're making it up as they go and nothing is set in stone

but the fact that she's a god in everything she does makes my skin crawl and basically ruins rewatching episode 7

If Kylo is actually the main it means the new trilogy has had three fakeout mains.

>in the second volume there are special monsters that are evolved to destroy At-Ats
Goddamn, that's a stretch even for Star Wars EU.

But I meant more long the lines of their lack of maneuverability, tall sight profile, limited arc of fire, terrain sensitivity, and the issues with needing screening forces or being both heavy assault units and troop transports.

Yea a conversation between 2 people revealed everything we needed about Luke. Nothing like ever happened with Rey

See, i didnt even remember that flashback.
But it seems they took Anakin and Luke and destilled the bad parts for storytelling into Rey.

At least it feels so. Kyle gets proper character developement, he is with his anger trouble more like just the ordinary bad guy from trilogy start.

>three fakeout mains
Who are the three? Poe was kinda from the trailer sidecharacter. Or do you mean Phasma?

Indeed. But noone knows who Rey is. Either Luke might give us some informations, but trailer hints, he doesnt really know Rey.
So who could give us any informations about her? The only i could see is Snoke. Maybe he planted Rey to get Luke?

Poe and Finn. Poe is an explicit fakeout while Finn became a vehicle for Rey's prominence. If Kylo takes the main then Rey becomes the third. Phasma doesn't count because she was always indicated as a secondary.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

>predictable
>a name that is mentioned once and literally no one but max autism Star Wars fanboys will even recognize

both poe and finn feel more real and interesting than rey, fuck she's a garbage character, awful lines, awful storyline, the only thing she's got going for her is the fact daisy is so damn charming and cute, she looks fucking 12

Poe really doesn't have anything to him other than apparently being a giant bro. Finn had some surprisingly great characterization and moments in TFA.

Who cares, the entire franchise is creatively bankrupt.

>Goddamn, that's a stretch even for Star Wars EU.
It kinda is. Its a story vehicle to show that the empie is shattered, some weapon fascilities gone rouge, the empire is not strong like before, so the rebell. can stop them.
But to be kind, the empire wants new vehicles, but one good weapon developer is rouge and has a counter to the walkers he manufactures. So they have to negotiate that they still make weapons for them.

No, tell me more?

>Outside of being the most predictable,
>rather than moving the story forward at all.

That sounds like Disney Wars to me

Poe? For me he was always like Lando. I thought Fin would be more important, i was kinda surprised that he took the role of the comedic relief like C3PO. But Poe? Even as i only saw the first trailer, it felt like a side character to me.

Most likely his origins go back to Old Republic given the Knights Of Ren use masks, and Kylo's lightsaber, which all date back to the Darth Revan battle according to the canon Ep VII visual dictionary.

It fits given JJ said the Sith are extinct as their teachings died with Palps, and Snoke was from the Outer Rim, making him likely from a Grey Jedi group which only are relevant when discussing the Old Republic.

Rey is just the "perfect female hero" with foggy characterisation, so fangirls can better relate to her.

Cool space battles are what I want.

Stop showing bullshit between characters from the cartoon and action figure bait, give me pic related.

>rather than moving the story forward at all.
And how is moving foward?Another Identical dark force lord get out of nowhere and attack the heroes? This is literally doing the same thing again,not going foward in anyway, at least Plagueis will gave a solid explanation and will not be so absurd that the villain look so much like the previous one.

Hovertank is best girl.

Poe was supposed to die.

Poe's actor mentioned he dies in every movie. Disney wanted JJ to push the toys harder.
So JJ changed it so Poe just kind of survives and shows up later. This freed up Finn to join Han and Chewie instead of suddenly being an X-Wing pilot to be Luke 2.0.

Any chance you have a pic of that wonderful splash page from one of the EU comics showing the Empire civil was as different factions of Stormtroopers shooting each other while the Falcon flies past?

Same as Luke.

Except Rey is Vader's apprentice Starkiller levels of Force power for some reason.

>but the fact that she's a god in everything she does makes my skin crawl and basically ruins rewatching episode 7

You're right about them making it up as they go along, but I think Johnson's at least trying to fix things. Like in VIII Luke fears her power and it actually becomes a plot point and not just bad writing.

CANON

>Civil War
Sure

Snoke is described as being steeped in Dark Side knowledge. Plagueis was known for having "such a knowledge of the Dark Side".

Snoke is described by his apprentice, Kylo Ren, as “wise”. Which villain in the Star Wars saga was labelled ‘wise”?

Snoke's theme is nigh on identical to that of the Opera Scene in ROTS where we learn about Darth Plagueis.

Snoke literally looks like he has cheated death. His injuries are extensive. The only person we know who has actually cheated death (saved others) is Plagueis. Did he really teach his apprentice everything he knew? Have Sith Lords ever been known to bend the truth? Tell a little lie here and there? Masters of deception, anyone?!

Within the Darth Plagueis novel that was de-canonised, Plagueis talks about having Superweapons that can destroy entire star systems, he talks about ruling from the shadows whilst Sidious is the public face, of how immortality is more important than the power Sidious is after and on the cover appears as a large hologram overlooking Sidious. There are also many more verses in the novel that could fit very nicely with what we know about Snoke. It should also be noted that Plagueis had his apprentice Sidious murder his family as his final trial - something Snoke orders Kylo Ren to do.

Plagueis was originally a Muun. A tall (7ft), pale, skinny alien. That was de-canonised. Like the book that shares many ideas that resemble Snoke's story. And what does Snoke look like - Tall (7ft), pale, skinny and he's an alien.

Here's the weird bit: JJ even considered the possibility of Snoke being a woman. He didn’t want him to be an old and decrepit, like the Emperor. Um…but what did we end up with?

In the original script for ROTS, Lucas had it that Anakin WAS created by the Sith (Palpatine). He discarded it as it was unnecessary. However it shows what his final thoughts were on Anakin's origins. Then he decides to write the ST. He needs a villain. Would Lucas' villain not have been Plagueis? The perfect tie in with HIS beloved PT and a way of directly continuing the Darth Vader chosen one tale? Keep in mind Michael Arndt's recent comments that Lucas' treatments weren't in fact ditched but that much of it remains.

In the comic con conference, JJ tells us that LK was not being honest when he mishears Plagueis as Vegas as he says "LK is messing with you". This shows us that JJ passed the question over hoping LK would come up with a good cover story. But LK messed it up. Daisy Ridley is also shushed by Abrams as she begins to say "Is that S...". Whatever happened there, it got awkward and is a point for Plagueis IMO. The question from comic con was specifically about whether Plagueis would be mentioned in Episode VII and about the staff - NOT if Darth Plagueis will be in the ST, like many people have misinterpreted.

Thank you so much.
I've been trying to find that page for awhile to post in canon discussions.

Any chance you can tell me the series?

Kylo suggests to Hux that Snoke considered a clone army - something that once had direct implications with the Sith and their plan to take over. A nod to Plagueis' former role. He's minted and funded the clone army - more on this later.
Where did Snoke acquire his extensive Dark Side knowledge? If anyone can get this knowledge what is the point in the Jedi and Sith? Why did they have a monopoly on the Force? Why is so much made of knowledge being passed down within both orders if Snoke can just learn it himself? This means to me that Snoke was a Sith. But the only Sith who could've survived and reemerged is Plagueis.

During Rey’s vision sequence in TFA, we can clearly hear the voice of Palpatine saying “any Jedi!” This carefully selected piece of audio was lifted from a scene form ROTS where Palpatine is talking to Anakin about saving Padme from death. Once again, this is a nod to Plagueis and the power he possessed to save people from dying. Why use this line? Why reference the PT when apparently “Disney are distancing themselves from the PT” as many deluded fans claim?

It was confirmed that there were NO Sith in TFA. Again, this resulted in fans claiming “Snoke can’t be Plagueis!” Nonsense. After cheating death, Plagueis would have abandoned the Sith order (Maul, Rebels anyone?!).

Sidious and Vader were the only two Sith remaining. Once Vader killed Sidious, the Sith were destroyed and balance was restored. Plagueis’ existence does not interfere in the prophecy.

JJ said Snoke isn't Sith, Sith are gone and all their teachings are lost. Meaning Darth Maul is probably dead for real too.

If it is Plaguey, then he lost his memories reincarnating.

enter George Lucas. Plagueis’ creator.)

So, Uncle George decides to bring back Darth Maul in TCW, after we watched him get sliced in half in TPM. George stated that he died in TPM at the hands of Obi-Wan Kenobi. He looked pretty dead to me too. Anyway, we now see Mr Maul pop up in ‘Rebels’ as ‘Old Master’. Mr Maul has made it clear that he despises the Sith and has nothing to do with the order any more. Hmmm, what’s this? A former Sith Lord, who has cheated death, abandoned the order, has been in the shadows for years, plotting his revenge on all of his enemies. What on earth could this be eluding to? Good work Mr Filoni, I see what you did there! Oh and one more thing...Why is Maul on the back cover of the Plagueis novel. Coincidental, isnt it…?
I’ll throw a quote in here….
Andy Serkis: “I have no idea who he is!”

Interesting comments Andrew. Isn’t Snoke just Snoke? If he was just an original character, why is there a mystery surrounding his identity? But “He’s a newly introduced character!” I hear you cry. Well Andrew, we’ve never actually been introduced to Darth Plagueis before. We’ve only ever heard of him. So, technically Snoke IS a new character. He just used to go by a different name when he was a Sith Lord.

Supreme Leader Snoke, despite being horrifically damaged, is cheating death and all the other similarities he shares with Plagueis, as stated above, might just be a random new bad guy they’ve decided to introduce. Disney and some of the best storytellers and producers on the planet decided that this would be the way to go.

We have now been told by MSW that Snoke is dressed in gold and is all about the money! He's got a "palace" on his ridiculously huge Star Destroyer. He's minted and he flaunts it. Sounds like they've been taken elements from the Plagueis novel...again! #moneybagsdemask

the ST is about the rise of a new Jedi order, which will result in the demise of the Skywalker's. As was heavily implied in ROTS, and as Ian McDiarmid eluded to at SWCO, Anakin was created by Plagueis. The Skywalker's are tainted by the Dark Side and their very existence is due to the all powerful former Sith Lord, Darth Plagueis.

This brings us to The Last Jedi teaser trailer:

Luke: "I know one truth. The Jedi must end". I very much doubt that dialogue is taken from the same scene. However, if it is, it has been cut differently. The way he says "Jedi" sounds way off to the way rest of the sentence is spoken. Could it possibly go like this: " I know one truth. The Skywalker bond with the Jedi, must end..."

There so much more...

Even the description of 'Snoke's' new guards seem to be based on Plagueis' Sun Guards.

Snoke seeing the rise and fall of the Empire.

The fact that Snoke seems to easily acquire the remnants of the Empire for his own First Order so quickly, just doesn't add up, unless his identity is known to the last of the Imperial elite. Then he's in pole position.

The fact that he had an apprentice before Kylo Ren.

Kylo now uses a red lightsaber, just like a Sith? If this guy is all new, and nothing to do with the Sith, why are his methods identical to the Sith?

Awww, we could have had Devil Snoke, Ayye Snoke, Asian Snoke, Bane Snoke, Emo Snoke, or 60's Groovy Snoke

It's like the Rick and Morty game with alternate Snokes

It's probably gonna be something stupid like Luke pulling a Revan and splitting himself into his light and dark sides

>Except Rey is Vader's apprentice Starkiller levels of Force power for some reason.
Which we dont know yet.
Luke is similar easy relateable, but he has differences. He had a family, killed by stormtroopers and was an orphan who lost his father to the empire. He has a clear motivation to get revenge. He wants to be a jedi and comes from a farmer family (aunt and uncle). Distinct features you can relate to Luke but like Rey where you can not fully project into her.

I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying... also he was part of the Banking Clan.

Its the first Dark Empire series.

>It's like the (Shoe we do not talk about) game with alternate Snokes

Get the fuck out

That was a good page.

Yeah, Rey is more like a Hong Kong orphan.
Or a Palestinian refugee camp orphan.
Or a South African orphan.

Luke was kind of a pioneer farmboy in Indian/Mormon country. Or a British farmer in the days of the Zulu Wars.

I guess the bit of continuity where she spent nights on a Rebel flight training simulator is relatable to everyone who grew up playing Rogue Squadron or X-Wing.

Thanks.

According to Disney, that guy hit his head because he literally just remembered Obi-wan mindtricked him.

Deep lore?

The bitch of it is you can have all that and still tell a good story, usually you get that by not hiring JJ Abrams

Just read Plagueis novel last month. I'm sold, and I'm hoping he's Snoke too.

New rumor: Rex is the Endor trroper, then became Snoke.
Because Poe's mom knocked over a candle and it went out the window onto him while concieving Poe in that Ewok hut.

Poe's destiny is to metaphorically burn away the rest of the Republic. Kylo is a pawn to create Poe's Knights Of Ren.

Also C-3PO dies. The red arm symbolizes it or something.

If he's Plagueis, it would suck even more. He doesn't give a shit about Darth Emo.

JJ didn't write it.
He was just stuck directing it, he couldn't change the story without permission and the only thing they let him change was making Poe survive since that sells more X-Wings.

Lol