So what was the lore behind these things any way?

So what was the lore behind these things any way?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=14myxfqoU0U
youtube.com/watch?v=PNx-zQDXRY4
youtube.com/watch?v=cs6NQre8s28
youtube.com/watch?v=h_4ziallTsw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lots of polynesian lore ripped off.They are heroes meant to awaken Mata nui, the island god and literal island, who was put to sleep by Makuta.

Then a lot of bullshit happened and now it doesn't mean fuck all since the polynesians sued for ripping off their folklore, so now lego has to make things up that aren't nearly as cool.

Extensive and convoluted.

Lego settled with the Maori people to change some of the names being used, but they cancelled Bionicle due to a lack of sales and a worry that the lore had gotten so extensive that it was turning off new customers who didn't want to have to do a bunch of research just to figure out what anything was.

They tried a reboot a few years ago with a simpler story but it didn't work.

Like spinning ninjas and furry land, huh?

>Main planet sends giant robot with tons of matoran workers called mata nui to smaller planet
>makuta, a robot virus infects the robot and causes it to go to sleep, buried underground, forming island mata nui
>main planet sends 6 toas to mata nui to fix the problem
>they cant fix the problem
>elders find out mata nuis core is buried underground, and waking him up will cause the island to be destroyed
>everyone on mata nui moves to old city called metru nui while toa go wake the motherfucker up
>youtube.com/watch?v=14myxfqoU0U

Is that why the lore went weird?

God, why kind of fucking retarded country no one gives a fuck about would take away the only way foreign children would learn about their culture's lore and have a interest in it?

Thank you. Not OP but I love the comics but counlld not understand any story line at all. And the Wikipedia's explanation hurt my brain.

>Maui Solomon, a lawyer acting for the Maoris, alleged that the storyline bore "a remarkable resemblance" to traditional yarns from Easter Island.

the early years were basically "polynesian folklore meets biomechanical robots"
later it was revealed that the islander shit was just a state of temporary regress, and all the islanders came buck to their high-tech city
then it was revealed that their pantheistic God is dying, which led to many shenanigans

and then the lore kinda went to shit with the alternate universes, other planets, red stars and all of that bullshit. should have ended after 2008, with maybe one last battle against Makuta

>tfw you fall into outcast tier
I was heavily disappointed when g2 was canceled. I get that the story wasn't great but what kid doesn't love playing with customizable robots?

YO YO PIRAKA here
I own like 50 sets, planning to sell most of them off soon

depends on what you mean, the giant robot thing was planned from the beginning

youtube.com/watch?v=PNx-zQDXRY4

I wonder if most kids even knew about G2, since it was barely advertised. Aside from that, standard Lego is the hottest shit these days, Bionicle-like action figures don't have as much appeal.

I wish they were referenced in the lego movie. That really made me sad.

They were.
For a split second under stuff they don't need to talk about

>Is that why the lore went weird?
It didn't affect much beyond the names. Most of the Polynesia-inspired lore was actually already toned down very early on.
I think the lore mainly went weird because Lego didn't anticipate the line lasting for so long, so they had to make up shit to fill out several years' worth of storylines. That stretched out the original concept way too much.

That's bullshit. How can you sue someone for using your lore? Could the church sue people who use Jesus analogies?

I recall buying the bionicle because they were cool first, and the lore was always secondary.

I'm just going to blame the sets becoming less interesting as time went on. Toa metru were probably the high point.

They didn't sue, but they threatened with legal action and attacked some fansites because they were pissed that Lego took "sacred" ancient names from their language and used them to promote toys without their consent.

All of which are not copyrighted.

Did the Maori believe that they held some exclusive claim?

Given how the second wave of Chima ultrabuilds were European exclusives due to poor sales of the prior wave, pretty much true.

If you expect one post to explain it you are grievously mistaken.

Bionicle lore is extremely complicated and intense, just buy Makuta's Guide to the Universe

I'm literally a degenerate on this scale. I have all the comics up to the Barraki ones, and I have approximately 50 Bionicle MOCs on display in my basement. Send help

Is it too late to get into Bionicle?

Toys? Maybe. Story? You can try.

I'm still upset that G2 had such a quick demise.

I liked it for the simpler story, I also liked the alternate personalities of the original Toa.

Werent the story supposed to continue even though toy line ended? Also, i remember that i, as a kid, always liked the most stories that werent happening as part of most important story line, like whole Takanuva journey through some AUs in 2008, so that should be a way to get into whole bonkle universe

From the beginning, before any of the expanded universe baggage, it was about a robot god who fell into an endless coma caused by a virus, and six heroes in pill shaped canisters who were sent on a quest to reawaken and free him from said virus.

I wasn't too keen on Pohatu's character going 180°, but it was a reboot, so I was open to how it could go. He was the only Toa to get any meaningful development, unlike in G1 where he was static.
But the fact that G2 couldn't keep the personalities entirely consistent from the character bios to the webisodes to the Netflix cartoon was pitiful.

>Werent the story supposed to continue even though toy line ended?
Yeah, they wanted to do graphic novels and online serials. But the GNs didn't sell so they canceled those. Then the writer, Greg Farshtey stopped updating the serials because he was too busy with other Lego-related work and his personal life.

Gravity Hurts is objectively the best Bionicle song and any other choice is wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=cs6NQre8s28

I thought it was hilarious that they turned Pohatu into freaking Mad Max, right down to the Master version's color separation referencing his one-sleeved leather jacket with shoulder pad armor.
In the comics he even travelled with a dog for a while and in the Netflix series when he said that he can only do such over the top elemental attacks when mad the others were surprised, saying they thought that he was always mad.

nah
all the sets are still available on bricklink at reasonable prices, and the community is still kicking, though with less intensity since G2 died

Bionicle was the shit. We’ll never get anything as good from LEGO ever again.

You never know.
If they get close to going bankrupt again they may.

They did the same thing over Moana, it bugs them for some reason

Yeah but don't say that out loud near any old school Lego fans. Most of the collectors, builders and general normies never accepted Bionicle and they couldn't be more glad that it's over.

>mfw Yo Yo Piraka
Daily reminder Mata Nui being a 60 million foot tall robot was planned since G1

I'm a Yo Yo Piraka but my toes hang down to Great Spirit level.

BIONICLES = Bionic Chronicles
holy fuck, i just noticed this

>since G1
Since 2001 fuck

one day you'll learn why it actually stands for Biological Chronicles and you'll freak out even more

It seems like you both mistyped and mislinked Insane Bionicle Brain. I'll fix that.
youtube.com/watch?v=h_4ziallTsw

LONG AGO IN A DISTANT LAND, I, MAKUTA, THE SHAPESHIFTING MASTER OF DARKNESS UNLEASHED AN UNSPEAKABLE EVIL. BUT A FOOLISH TOA WARRIOR WIELDING A MASK OF LIGHT STEPPED FORTH TO OPPOSE ME. BEFORE THE FINAL BLOW WAS STRUCK, I THREW OPEN A PORTAL IN SPACE, FLINGING HIM INTO AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE, WHERE MY EVIL IS LAW. NOW THE FOOL SEEKS TO RETURN TO HIS UNIVERSE, AND DEFEAT THE EVIL THAT IS MAKUTA.

Didn't that actually happen at one point?

Yeah. Though I don't know if Takanuva went to a universe where Makuta permanently won. I know he went to one where Makuta was a good guy though, and brought him back to the main universe.

This pretty much.

Technically, it was the good guys who accidentally sent him dimension-hopping, and he got to some weird placed but none of them had Makuta as a ruler. Fucker just can't win out.