I haven't seen this show in 10 years, but I know for a fact this show is still one of the best 90s shows

I haven't seen this show in 10 years, but I know for a fact this show is still one of the best 90s shows

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LecH7KTDGAo
youtube.com/watch?v=cKHwaV8eAGE
newgrounds.com/portal/view/514691
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It is serviceable

It's alright, there's just all these weird choices made throughout its run. Like why did Rotor go through so many changes, designs and voice actors?

I don't know about best show, but I am pretty sure of top-tier villain.
Are there other 90s villains who can measure up to the Robotnik of that show?

It's a pretty damn solid show. Only ones who seem to hate it are AoStH fags and those who hate the idea of Freedom Fighters in Sonic comic.

I thought that when I was a kid then recently saw it again. Without the nostalgia it's kinda shit.

Pretty shit ending and animation, I just don't think Sonic lends itself well to serious stories like this

The writing is not particularly good, some of the characters are annoying, and the animation i pretty janky in places.

They went the extra mile with the furry racks, though.

Well, you gotta keep in mind that the show was cancelled, hence the shitty ending.

>I just don't think Sonic lends itself well to serious stories like this

Oh look, another "Sonic should be used in silly and wacky plots only" faggot.

>one of the best 90s shows
>Gargoyles, Exosquad, Mighty Max exist
I have to respectfully disagree!

Sonic Adventure and 2 are as serious as it needs to get

Antoine and Bunnie are the best characters in the Archie comic and I'll be disappointed if they don't reappear in some capacity at IDW (the other three are fine too).
SatAM is still a really, REALLY bad show.

The pilot's actually really enjoyable, but the rest of season one is broken on so many levels. It goes for episodic adventures without using that as an opportunity to establish the cast, instead building up some (frankly quite bland) one-off elements we'll never see again. The episode order is real weird, with stuff like a robot replacement episode coming before we even get to know Sally. The backgrounds are well rendered but there's no contrast, so you're stuck staring at dark green and blue, some gray and some occasional brown and orange.

Then season 2 comes along and you have a sense of continuity... that doesn't go anywhere. Reused premises from season 1, a number of filler episodes and half episodes that just play out bog standard stock stories, and a finale where the allies gained through the season don't matter. They also doubled down on annoying running gags and barely used half the main cast.

There's like three or four good episodes in the whole series. I have nothing against the characters or setting, but SatAM is just a terrible cartoon.

Oh look, another "this series having an inherent disadvantage means it simply cannot be done" faggot.

user didn't say it was impossible to do a serious story, just that it isn't very suited for them. As in, it would need far more effort and skill to be done well.

The fuck you talking about? This show was awful!

That wasn't even the best Sonic show of the 90s.

The way that user reacted isn't really misplaced, since a lot of people around here that were making the "Sonic doesn't work in serious setting" argument in the past usually flat-out stated Sonic should be exclusively used in wacky plots ala Looney Tunes/AoStH.

It feels like the show wasn't made with Sonic, like he was thrown into it at the last minute without the world being adjusted for him aside from Robotnik being the bad guy, and even then you could change Robotnik into someone else without losing anything.

Sonic just stands out so hard against everything else in the world, with its realistic colors and down to Earth characters.

Don't forget the series' only two-part story which can't decide which time-travel conceit to use and ends up not making much sense.

Sally outright wants to go back in time to prevent Robotnik's takeover and then later talks about how they must be careful not to change anything!

It's like several drafts of a time travel episode were sloppily combined without sufficient polish.

Robotnik is usually portrayed as a genuinely creepy evil asshole, but Sonic makes a fool of him in many(most?) episodes, so it doesn't work.

Why not have Snively be the incompetent villain the heroes defeat and mock and have Robotnik be the real threat who rarely gets involved and gives a tough fight when he does?

I really like the characters, but SatAM wasn't that good in terms of writing. The comics overall made them more interesting.

It had moments, but more than it had those, it had wasted potential. There is no tension to be had when any time the writers wrote themselves into a corner Sonic just goes "HEY GUYS WATCH THIS" and all conflict is trivialized.

So you're saying make Dr. Robotnik, Dr. Claw? Eh, might have worked.

Not as aloof or unseen as that. Robotnik would be the source of the threat but Snively fails to implement it correctly.

Then when the writers want to raise the stakes he actually does stuff himself and now the heroes have harder time and are less confident about beating the real threat.

This. Sonic essentially had super-powers when no one else did. It was impossible to threaten him so where's the tension?

It's not even just the fact he's super powered. It's the extreme inconsistency of those powers.
Sonic's ability to run fast and curl into a buzzsaw was translated into "he can go anywhere, burrow through anything, run along any surface, destroy any villain/robot, escape from any peril. Except for the times he can't.

Pre-commercial break Sonic:
>UH OH GUYS, LOOKS LIKE WE'RE IN DEEP TROUBLE, FOR REAL THIS TIME, HONEST!!
Post-commercial break Sonic
>HAHA NERD YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME, I CAN RUN STRAIGHT THROUGH YOU LIKE YOU WERE MADE OF PAPER

This poor management of a sense of threat makes this a bad show.

I think this thread highlights the impirtance of threat in the story. Robotnik being an easily defeatable goofball works well in a wacky comedy show like AoSTH, but here he never really seems like a proper threat, especially with Sonic's god powers getting him out of most perils
But most of all, no Long John Baldry, no deal!

I'm 99% sure that is literally exactly what happened. I don't think any of the higher ups ever confirmed it, but the concept art seems to indicate it was its own thing before someone noticed the plot of a plucky young hero opposing an evil mad scientist who turns animals into robots bore a superficial resemblance to the plot of Sonic.

Probably not THE best but it's good.

>the first thing that went to someone's head when they heard the name "Dr Robotnik" was a giant horned animal with a cape that looks like he came straight out of a Don Bluth film

At least this one took heed of the "Robot" part of his name. That other Don Bluth inspired fuck is just out of left field.

So they knew his name was "Eggman" but still went with the edgy design. 90s America is so weird.

it is the reason Sonic became so popular in the west

>Electric ponytail
You can't be fucking serious. I guess this guy went on to Sonic Underground's awful character designs, too.

It had to have been drawn beforehand and had the name just slapped on for presentation, if they knew it was supposed to be Robotnik from the start they already had the western Milton Knight model to use as a basis to tweak from.

AoSTH was a decent shot at the formula though. A plot about a rodent stopping an evil mustache twirling Roosevelt caricature is better suited for wacky adventures than serious stories. Even the japanese OVA was really silly despite the darker tones in between, and don't forget how bad more serious sonic games like Shadow the Hedgehog was in terms of story

I also don't see any other reason there were 2 completely different Sonic cartoons running at exactly the same time, which couldn't be any more different in tone.
It had to be a different show that they rebranded as Sonic.

At the time the Japs seemed to think so too.

youtube.com/watch?v=LecH7KTDGAo

I love how robotnik is just a head on a ball with an ass

Sega of America decided his name is Robotnik, not anybody else. And if you take issue with that, keep in mind Sega of Japan acknowledged it's such a good name, they integrated it into canon. So yeah, he's Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik.

I can just hear Long John Baldry's angry grunts and laughing through all of this

youtube.com/watch?v=cKHwaV8eAGE

>It's like several drafts of a time travel episode were sloppily combined without sufficient polish.
I could see that being the case, especially since there's a few spots where they set up the cliches (Bunnie's about to be roboticized, we have to help her!) and then...neither do the obvious nor play with it, like they just forgot they just set something up.

Robotnik's arm getting roboticized was a cute touch, though.

>Season finale, Sonic's power ring isn't working, he has to do something else!
>pulls two more power rings out of his ass with no explanation

This is what people mean when they say the finale sucks, not the cliffhanger.

Has anyone ever figured out what the deal with this was? Why did Sega make this?

SatAM is trash. Stop giving this thread replies.

>Stop giving this thread replies.
>While replying in this thread
No

I really wish they would bring back the 6-S, they provided a nice dynamic of lackeys that would actively go out to fight Sonic on behalf of Robotnik. Orbot and Cubot provide the comic relief aspect, but they don't really DO anything.

Something that always bugged me is that Sonic doesn't usually go THAT fast in the games. Not compared to other stuff. Tails and Knuckles go just as fast.

Weird to know that Sally was almost a Human at one point.

The red head design is still nice though. The blonde reminds me a bit of Harley Quinn

>lackeys that would actively go out to fight Sonic on behalf of Robotnik
That's actually an excellent point. Also, I love me some reoccurring minibosses. I enjoy characters like Nack who keep getting in the way.

This is Don Bluth as fuck.

I had a friend that would call Robotnlik, "Mr. Conehead."

Sally Acorn in one of the Sonic games when?

To be fair, the filler added in season 2 was at ABC's insentience. In an interview for the DVD, Ben Hurst said they wanted some lighter, more humorous episodes to be added to the show's run.

Two teams pitched two Sonic shows. ABC greenlit AOSTH but didn't want to waste concepts from SATAM, so they greenlit the later too and ran them concurrently.

>they wanted some lighter, more humorous episodes to be added to the show's run.
That's not a terrible idea. It was up to the show's crew to make GOOD humorous episodes and they blew it.

>"Stop talking about things I don't like!"

In 1993. Because she was in Sonic Spinball.

Actually, AoStH was what was pitched first and ABC passed on it. It was DiC that decided to make AoStH on their own for syndication, while ABC funded SatAM.

Mario has more fucking testosterone than Sonic he would make that hedgehog cuck his bitch

newgrounds.com/portal/view/514691

>This. Sonic essentially had super-powers when no one else did. I
so literally every capshit ever?

Superheroes usually have supervillians to fight. Sonic had a bald midget and a blustering fatass.

That doesn't make any sense. "Capeshit" comics all have super-powered villains or friends. Sonic is the only OP character in SatAM.

I was gonna comment, but
sums it up. They're a bad thing because they're awful episodes.

From what I've heard, it was a pitch by TMS for a Sonic anime.