Why does the consensus seem to be that cartoons are in a new dark age and that everything is shit and the not shit...

Why does the consensus seem to be that cartoons are in a new dark age and that everything is shit and the not shit stuff is just passably okay?

Can anyone actually ellaborate on why they feel this way?

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BaPd3yjFV_b/?taken-by=joelle_monique
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cartoons have changed a lot + old cartoons were very good.

here lemme sum it up for you before someone else says it

libruls, some dumb Sup Forums bullshit, numales, calarts, atheism, feminism, I have no sense of humor or perspective and am a giant douche

Probably whiplash from the generally high quality of cartoons in the 90s and even early 00s. Cartoons now aren't bad, per se, but they're definitely not at the level they could be.

>Cartoons have changed a lot + I was a child when I watched them and didn't have perspective or taste

Growing up with the 80's Ninja Turtles and GI Joe made me appreciate modern cartoons all the more.

I miss Courage the Cowardly Dog. The shit he had to go through and overcome. Defeating countless villains like Kat, Fred, the puppet croc, Le Quack, Flan, Dr. Zalost, Eustace's Mens Club, defending space squid from government, defending jesus tree from Eustace, saving bunny from abusive pack of dogs, saving muriel from his own fucking computer, saving muriel & eustace from vet that took his parents from him when he was just a pup

The thing about nostalgia and the past in general is that the things that tend to be remembered are the GOOD things.
See: this. I grew up in the late 80s/90s and I can tell you that for all the cartoons you remember, there is a whole bunch of trash you do NOT remember.

So when we see things in the present, we're seeing the good things with all the trash around it, and it's easy to think "things used to be better" when all you remember is the good stuff.

meanwhile shit like SU has SoL garbage, and season long pending threats like jasper and yellow diamond, and nothing else

SoL is kinda the point of the show dude. If you're not into watching low stakes character comedy interspersed with the occasional bit of world ending space villains then its just not the show for you.

Good news is that there are hundreds of shows out there so its not like you're lacking for something more suited to your tastes. Go watch that instead and be happy.

>Good news is that there are hundreds of shows out there

Not really, that's kind of the problem.

What, just cause something isn't currently airing doesn't mean that it stops existing. If you're big into 90's cartoons the internet has all of them and they usually had dozens of episodes so it would take a longass time to watch them all again

exactly. fuck the guy you replied to. every fucking cartoon out there now dont have villain of the week like KND, Courage, Dexter's Lab, Samurai Jack, Billy & Mandy did

when's the last time you saw villains become as cohesive as this not just to defeat the protagonist, but to mentally, emotionally, and physically torture the protag out of sheer hatred?

You're mainly bitching about people who have already seen most of those shows, though, that's the only reason they'd even make a comparison to how bad modern shows are in the first place.

Also people like new things, people like to talk about new things, you'd be hard pressed to even find anyone who'd be willing to regularly talk about, I dont know, duckman, at the same regularity as people are willing to talk about steven universe.

Right now as far as modern, contemporary, relevant cartoons there isn't any variety. the few shows that are out there just bleed into eachother as far as style and content goes so it only makes the lack of quantity even more pronounced.

Early 90s cartoons were better than late 90s ones.

holding muriel over a boiling cauldron while eustace just laughs at the whole situation that he orchastrated

>when's the last time you saw villains become as cohesive as this not just to defeat the protagonist, but to mentally, emotionally, and physically torture the protag out of sheer hatred?
Courage was a cartoon, not game of thrones you putz.

That's totally subjective though. One persons low-quality is anothers masterpiece, its not like there is an objective way to way and measure this shit.

>Why does the consensus seem to be that cartoons are in a new dark age and that everything is shit and the not shit stuff is just passably okay?

Because hyperbole is a thing. Stuff could be better for sure. But it's not a dark age. Also a lot of people don't remember the bad cartoons from past decades.

Because you're on a board full of disillusioned young adults who have yet to admit that they've outgrown the distractions they remember enjoying as a child

yea they had to keep it within standard, but he still got fucked up most of the time

Actually general consensus is that this is a new Golden Age and the contrarian Sup Forums is just contrarian and Sup Forumstards saying things are only "SJW" now when 90s and 00s cartoons were aggressively "SJW" with lots of "kickass" token minority and female characters and eventually protagonists.

80s and 90s cartoons actually weren't very good. Most of them were either shit mafe just to sell toys, even the writers talk today about how everyone knew they were producing aggressive garbage no one cared about making good. The rest were fucking terrible celebrity tie ins you don't remember now, I remember there were fucking three or four Jim Carey cartoons on at the same goddamn time once, there was a goddamn Rosie O'Donnell cartoon. Then the endless parade of what Poochie was a parody of: endless "totally radical" X-treme reboots of old shows with "bodacious" versions of the characters and their super diverse Burger King Kid's Club friends with ever kind of minority in existence.

You only like these and don't remember the nonstop SJW content because of nostalgia and you were a kid.

00s were much better. Even then, though, you remember the good shows, forget the bad, and remember the shows as being much better than they really were. Most shows wete mediocre.

... user, I'm talking about quantity, as in how many cartoons in general are around. That's an objectively measurable thing. There are less currently produced cartoons now than there were 20 years ago. Wether you like them or not isn't relevant, its that there just aren't enough of them to fill all the niches that used to be filled. The only subjective idea is that their styles bleed into one another, but seeing how often people point it out, its a popular opinion.

>when's the last time you saw villains become as cohesive as this not just to defeat the protagonist, but to mentally, emotionally, and physically torture the protag out of sheer hatred?

I feel like you're making it out to be bigger than it actually was. Not to mention this episode was pretty bad on Eustace because he did all this due to Courage being "spoiled". While he didn't exactly like Courage, he never planned to kill him.

those females were kickass because they were kickass, not just because they had an axe wound

Nostalgia for the shows they used to watch as kids, added to the selective blindness of the Johnny Test and CN Real time period.

Early 2000s cartoons WIPE THE FLOOR with all of those.
Early 00s toons also wipe the floor with the shit we're getting nowadays, don't kid yourself user.

Playing it too safe, and when finally trying to be exiting it ends up being a fetish bellyflop.
Combined with aggressive profiteering.

Bring back the action packed "toxic masculinity" as tumblr would call it, and the fun budgets.

A lot of them were Mary Sues with no flaws and better than the boys at everything because "girls do it better!" I remember 80s and 90s cartoons and I've watched some again recently. That's what it was like. They also beat up the male characters a lot and it was funny because a girl beat up boys but not allowed the other way. You have nostalgia goggles on.

Name FIVE (5) cartoons from back then that did that, you fucking liar.

That's just what you think because you hadn't been exposed to gender politics yet

There USED to be.

Bring back Megas XLR and not gay Teen Titans.

>everyone keeps saying 90sfags are just feeding off nostalgia
>be me
>had a pretty conservative rural background, didn't watch tv, just lots of books and some vidya when I was a teen
>got into cartoons during the last ten years
>90s cartoons are hit and miss but more often than not there's so many of them the hits keep coming, plus all the experimental mtv stuff nobody seems to mention
>favorite animation is actually pre 90s psychedellic stuff and soviet animation, they were pretty much the absolute best of the best anyone's ever made for animation
>2000s had some good stuff but was mostly for kids
>modern stuff is nearly exclusively for kids with only some exceptions as far as adult animation goes, but it's sad how many modern shows seem to be made for literal toddlers with cartoonists who just want to show off to their peers and dont actually care about their audience

to be totally honest, Superjail was the last genuinely fantastic show I can remember. Everything else has been sub par and I don't think you even need to be a cartoon nerd to get it. Go look at how tv and videogames are doing, making really cool experimental adult stuff, and then look at modern cartoons and how 99% looks like it was made by people who say they're "indie" when they just dont know how to draw, and 1% exceptions that prove the rule.

I think people who just overuse the nostalgia argument are people who haven't actually put any thought into the content they're consuming.

Babs Bunny and Dot in a lot of eps, the Mighty Ducks girls, Velma in that Scooby Doo show where they were kids, Goliath's daughter in Gargoyles, Miranda from Bonkers, Gadget in Rescue Rangers, Daisy on Quack Pack, the female characters on Yo Yoogi and Loonatics, Rosie on Little Rosie, the pink Snork, Chipettes a lot of the time, kid version of Wilma, I could write more, not even in front of a computer to look up a ton of half remembered ones I have in mind

so you listed shows where the males are morons or one of them is the token retard, just as I predicted

>just as I predicted
You're not me!

You mean TTG, right? Because the original TT was significantly better than Megas XLR, user.

Kim Possible
Daria
Mulan
Lizzie MacGuire
Lisa Simpson

All are characters who are constantly showing a capable level head and are frustrated with the actions of the men around them
[spoilers]you probably don't think any of these characters count, but they do. And it wasn't a big deal then or now, it's just more annoying because they're being written by people close to your age[/spoiler]
now can YOU name 5 female characters from nowadays like this?

Isn't that the whole point? It was really common then even in comedies for the girls to be the capable, smart, and pragmatic character. A Hermione type. Boys could do dumb things and make mistakes. Girls could be "quirky" but not in ways that genuinely screwed the group over. If anything, female characters are more likely to be genuine fuckups now. And all of these rules apply to minority characters, too. The thing is people act like this is a brand new thing. When was She-Ra? Static Shock? Hammerman? Jem? Kim Possible? Etc etc.

>If anything, female characters are more likely to be genuine fuckups now.
Bahaha, no.

Female characters nowadays face fewer consequences than ever. "Genuine" fuckups, my ass.

Eustace did all this over a blanket. it is not as deep as you claim

>its not like there is an objective way to way and measure this shit.
Of course there is, fuck postmodernism and its "everything is subjective" mantra.

>art being subjective is cultural marxism duuuuude

its from the renaissance era you fuck

Taste is subjective. Quality isn't.

Learn the difference.

If SoL is the point of the show then they're fucking up by never letting their good boarders work on those episodes... on the rare occasion that Jeff and Joe/Collin boarded a townie episode they were still better than an average Lamar or Raven townie episode

>Kim Possible

There were many moments where Kim goofed up and failed to keep a level head.

>Daria

Daira also caught her fair share of shit too. While people around her were dumb,like half the show calls her out on her attitude.

>Mulan
Mulan was frustrated with the actions of the men around her because the trio she was stuck with kept picking on her. On top of that she did nothing but fuck up until a training montage. She joined the army less because "Girls can do it too! Girl power!" and more "My father is getting on in age and possibly sick. He WILL die out there and I don't want that to happen."

>Lizzie MacGuire

Lizzy barely kept a level head

>Lisa Simpson
Can speak on her because i havent watched the simpsons in years so i barely remember.

It's not the consensus. Only here, where the consensus is always that everything that exists is bad.

>postmodernism

Seems everyone and their mother is using "postmodernism" without knowing what postmodernism is.

And that goes double with cultural bolshvi-I mean cultural marxism.

Like what, Time Squad? Whatever Happened to Robot Jones? Mike Lu and Ogg?

Or are you talking about Nick classics that were frequently shown in the early 00s such as CatDog, The Wild Thornberries, Rocket Power, Chalkzone, and Rugrats: All Grown Up? Pelswick?

Or maybe the Proud Family?

Postmodernism is fundamentally the rejection of objectivity, and that's exactly how I used the term.
"Cultural Marxism" OTOH literally doesn't exist.

No, I'm talking about cartoons like W.I.T.C.H., Teen Titans, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT 2003, Megas XLR, Samurai Jack, Kim Possible, Duck Dodgers, and The Batman.

List long enough for you?

There are no action shows anymore. That the closest thing we have to an action cartoon is Steven Universe is just sad. Also we are all coming down from the high of the early 10s when the three biggest kids comedy cartoons were Adventure Time, Regular Show and Gravity Falls. These shows have been replaced with Teen Titans Go, Loud House and Star Vs. Hard not to feel sad about that.

Sup Forums is contrarian and all the Sup Forumsfags here shitpost about liberal agendas in their cartoons. They complain like a bunch of entitled tumblr divas about every little thing. Y'all complain about fandoms but y'all act like one. Y'all are one.

>Adventure Time, Regular Show
That is not a high. That is a massive low.

>There are no action shows anymore.
see >But there aren't really action cartoons being made anymore, because anime has cornered that market. Even if a good action cartoon were to come out, nobody would watch it because none of the anime-exclusive sites would talk about it - and that's where most of the potential fans are.

>The very rare exceptions to this are shows like Young Justice, which has the whole DC thing to fall back on, or Samurai Jack itself which similarly had nostalgic fans behind it.

Give me five examples, you emotional mess

cont. and as far as adult cartoons go, there is just nothing new or good. Rick & Morty was supposed to save the adult cartoon but it jumped the shark after one season. The only upside is Netflix, but after you polish off a season over the course of a few days there is nothing to watch for a whole other year.

That's true, we do get action shows based on comics. There aren't really that many action anime either though, most of them are based on manga and I'd rather just read that. The few original anime they make these days are usually moeshit.

I agree with this guy. It's always confirmation bias with you morons. Typical neckbeard attitude.

Aw, how cute. She knows how to write.

Yeah I've asked him twice to name cartoons and he won't. He's got nothing.

Way to make their point

I would have to say that the biggest culprits are worse animation and simpler, yet still inconsistent designs. The quality of writing has deteriorated as well.

Those are mid-00s, mate. Get your eras straight.

>Why does the consensus seem to be that cartoons are in a new dark age and that everything is shit and the not shit stuff is just passably okay?
Because this is Sup Forums and the general mood of anything anywhere is cynicism and anger.

>There are no action shows anymore.
What about all of the capeshit on DXD?

>no action shows
Justice League Action?

>What about all of the capeshit on DXD?
You mean the Marvel shit? Those are all comedies disguised as action shows. Just like the movies.

They're about as action-oriented as something like the original Ben10.

>SoL is kinda the point of the show dude.

Then they shouldn't have introduced non-SoL elements that were more interesting than the SoL shit.

The 'lack' of action shows is because Genndy Tartakovsky isn't working anymore, except that he still is and just released a season of Samurai Jack.

They are exactly at the level as they could be, because of how the world has changed since the 90's

Fuck off Chartfag

First of all, no, SoL isn't the point of the show. It used to be Monster/Quest of the Week with some SoL mixed in. The SoL without any action is a much more recent phenomena within the show. Secondly: even if that was the point, they should probably do something else because they suck at making entertaining SoL.

>2004, 2003, 2005, 2003, 2004, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Averages out to early 2003, doesn't exactly scream "mid" but I guess it does fit a bit better.

Yeah bro, Butt Ugly Martians was pure kino.

You mean he just screwed up Samurai Jack beyond recognition.

might as well post this

Don't worry about that image, it's fake or it's more like it doesn't was drew by sugar. Some anons posted its source yesterday.

The Loud House is considered a high quality cartoon.
This speaks volumes about how deep the quality standard has fallen.

It was, in fact, drawn by Sugar. Back in 2014, actually.

That she ships every character with every other character is not new information.

Its official bud. It was shown on a CN showcase
instagram.com/p/BaPd3yjFV_b/?taken-by=joelle_monique

I miss when Sup Forums wanb't so nasty

Production-wise it's solid. Fluid animation, consistent art. The facts that it has one funny joke tops per episode and that the writing is weak and predictable are parts of a different problem. One that apparently the show's target audience doesn't care about. Also a problem that persists with pretty much all modern Nick shows. They're really going full-kiddy mode with their writing.

I care though.
For example, I don't got to a footie match, because the hometeam has a well kept lawn and a nice and modern score board.

yea i wish they never introduced the dipshit aku daughters and just kept it jack wanting to go back to the past.

hell one fight could have been jack rematching the timegate keeper, but aku finally finding out about the place and immediately shoving his cock into the brawl as well

I care as well. I'd much rather have the cartoon be less successful with kids, but more fun for me. But saying that a competently made cartoon that it's target audience loves is bad because you, a man in his 20's, doesn't like it is objectively wrong.

Mean while, anime has never had a dark age and continues to be amazing.

>+ old cartoons were very good.

Not the era of Transformers. sorry you old folks but that shit sucks and you lot have gay ass Nostalgic goggles on

I'd say just because you are a kid doesn't make you can get discount on story telling.
There is a reason why Hey Arnold and pre-movie SpongeBob is so beloved. The latter even get memed on till today.
Also I don't remember Angry Beavers having low-quality plots and humour either.
Kids are not idiots. Mine are able to call out bullshit (more often than not), which is bad for me, because I need to take extra efforts to get them to do what I want, but good for them in the long run. Too bad cartoons now are made by rich ivory tower hipsters who think everyone but them are idiots.

this

You're misunderstanding. Loud House is not interesting for adults in the way Barney the Dinosaur isn't. That doesn't mean either of those is a bad show, they simply don't appeal to adults.

Like almost every episode of Loud House has Lincoln being irresponsible or a dick to his sisters and a bunch of really predictable jokes and "classic" plots. For an adult it's boredom-inducing, for a kid it's funny because they don't have a vault of cartoon cliches in their head yet and can't into deduction. Plus they learn a lesson on the first viewing and then get reminded about it, because kids actually need repetition to learn.

That's objectively bullshit. There are some good and some bad cartoons running at any time. But some decades have more of them. I can name a bunch of fantastic shows from Disney from 20 years ago, and now we only have Gravity Falls (ended on a sour note) and Star vs. (which isn't even universally beloved).

>ended on a sour note
According to Sup Forums, which is just butthurt about various stupid shit. The ending was actually great.

Agreed on the other stuff.

>ending was great
No. This isn't subjective. There's a mountain of plot-points that went nowhere and it was rushed. The fact that this was supposed to be a three season show with the latter one and a half season compressed into the second part of season 2 is common knowledge.

>There's a mountain of plot-points that went nowhere and it was rushed.
No, there are not. Something you would have LIKED to have seen in a hypothetical 3rd season is not a "plot point that went nowhere".
>The fact that this was supposed to be a three season show with the latter one and a half season compressed into the second part of season 2 is common knowledge.
It was actually supposed to be a 1-season show

Well you're just willfully delusional on this it seems. What happened is Hirsch, that procrastinating alcoholic, gave up on the show sticking all of his unfinished ideas into Season 2B. Half of the reason is him getting burnt out, and half of it is him hanging out with Roiland and getting "promised" an adult-oriented show at Fox. If you personally like the generic, low-impact ending, good for you, but it's not "great", it's a "meh, that'll do" from a guy who just didn't care anymore. A dip in quality you can see throughout all of S2B.

1300s were so much better, 1400s are shit with all our SJW tumblrina feminazi bullshit (pic related), don't even get me started on Canterbury Tales and its "le stronk sexually liberated female character" SJW crap shoved down our throats today.

Man 1400s kids today are such fucking libtard snowflakes.

>What happened is Hirsch, that procrastinating alcoholic
Ah, you're one of THOSE anons. Goodbye.

Your pic related.
No one mentioned anything being deep, and why would it being about a blanket change anything? They all hated Courage for their own reasons, they were terrible people and each week there was a new evil to overcome, it kept the show fresh and exciting and there was never any downtime. The lack of overall complexity served the show better because it was able to keep a consistent narrative. I know I'm about to beat a dead horse but take SU for example, because there isn't a constant thread that ties the episodes together in the way they tell a story it just kind of meanders from one scene to the next, from a 'grand' narrative to very minor incidents that besides not being very interesting in their own right contribute nothing to the greater theme of the show, because there essentially isn't one. There is a sequence of events (that we don't know the entirety of) that makes up the plot, but this doesn't create a drive for the characters, they end up just reacting to a bunch of circumstances out of their control with no real goal, it's difficult to become engrossed in a story where even the main characters are only really bystanders in their own story. Compare this to Courage, it's not my favorite show but it's a decent counter to the failings of SU, each of the characters have their own drive, even if it's incredibly simple, their motivations are clear and easy to understand, such as Courage who after being abandoned (not really we find out) by his parents he was taken in by Muriel and wants nothing but to protect her, it's simple, it's easy, it's sympathetic and it motivates him to take action when he perceives a threat to her. Steven on the other hand, has no clear motivation, whatever he wants is what is convenient to the episode, and because it isn't consistent from episode to episode it's very hard to follow, and sometimes difficult to sympathize with, and it makes his characterization overall inconsistent.

Not him but this is just Sugar given a bone to the stupid fanbase. She didn't really ship it because Zuke said that she was the only one that wanted Lapidot, and she said that her boss likes a ship that is not queer. So... this is just fanservice.