ITT TinTin

what are some good tintin stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zdbn1i3-N_I
blackkat.net/tintin/pdf/24 - Tintin And The Alph-art.pdf
youtu.be/N_EK_tFz9ug
garenewing.co.uk/rainboworchid/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

All the ones once Professor Calculus joins.

All of them

Even the Congo one?

Most of them.

Unironically all of them.
well maybe except "Tintin and the Soviets" and "Tintin in Congo" because they are "particular" but still enjoyable.
Tintin start to be god tier on the story "The Blue Lotus" but it's pretty good even before with plot armor as fucks stories like "Tintin in America"

Essential:
>Cigars of the Pharaoh/ The Blue Lotus
>The Black Island
>The Crab with the Golden Claws
>The Seven Crystal Balls/ Prisoners of the Sun
>Land of Black Gold
>Destination Moon/ Explorers on the Moon
>The Calculus Affair
>The Red Sea Sharks
>In Tibet
>Flight 714 to Sidney

Pretty Great:
>The Broken Ear
>King Ottokar's Sceptre
>The Secret of the Unicorn/ Red Rackham's Treasure
>The Castafiore Emerald
>Tintin and the Picaros

Dismissable:
>In the Land of the Soviets
>In the Congo
>In America
>The Shooting Star
>Alph-Art

Even the congo one

The Congo one is not bad, the plot looks "random" because it was a very old comic strip on the first place and the common edition is a 1950's redrawed and colored reprint, it's pretty much the same feeling than reading old Popeye stories from E.C Segar, but it's kinda funny.

the funniest Tintin story is probably "Tintin and the Picaros"

In America is simple because early but funny as fucks, and the Shooting Star is pretty cool, especially with the weird apocalypse atmosphere at the beginning.

All of them, honestly.

Yeah? Why don't you get those books and shove them up your ass then, you fucking faggot? Kill yourself.

lol

pourquoi avez vous mal au cul cher ami ?

I liked the one where he rescued a little girl from her abusive father
shame about his powers gone

What's the best way to collect Tintin?

I like the Verne-ish "scientific romance" of The Shooting Star, and how most of the antagonism comes from natural forces. It's a cool change of pace from gangsters and spies and the like.

It's also interesting historically for having been drawn when Belgium was occupied by Germany.

My favorites are King Ottokar's Sceptre, Explorers on the Moon, and In Tibet.
Least favorite is the Calculus Affair, although it probably has the best art.

Also ameribros, did the cartoon aired in the US ?
I think it what amazing.

I agree, the Shooting Star is a very good story with a great atmosphere. It's pretty scary too, the giant spider had me terrified as a kid.

I find the art of the Shooting Star similar to the Popeye art from Segar.

How does the animated series compare to the comics?

"Soviets" it's pretty bad though.

>Castafiore Emerald
>Not essential

It's Hergé at his best. Certainly better than Black Island, Cigars of the Pharaoh, Prisoners of the Sun and Flight 714.

It's great. As faithful as you can get, and in many cases, it even gets rid of unnecessary padding so the story flows better.
And they respect Hergé's art quite well.

This. And the music is great too. Outstanding opening theme.

Anyone checked out the The Adventures of Tintin 90's animated series blu-ray. Worth?

youtube.com/watch?v=Zdbn1i3-N_I
fucking amen

It's great but I understand that some people do not like the fact that it only takes place in Moulinsart (or is it Marlinspike in english?)

It was adorable how the last episode of the series had Tintin answer a phone, exclaim "What!? Come on, Snowy!" and run off in that spotlight shot from the end of the intro.

Well, that's a stupid reason not to like it. Ironically, it's one of the most adventurous art-wise, with the whole Calculus invention bit and the scene in the shadows.

I find it entairtaining, it's full of weird scenes and fist fights.

based

>Sequel literally never
It hurts so bad...

Why would you want a sequel to Tintin?

Really? I am skeptical

I'm french and Tintin is ok but overrated af

The best story is Tintin and the body re-animator. Just kidding.
The newest are the best in overal a really good series.
The older ones are more like a travel journal adventure. When captain Haddock joins its gets better, more like Indiana Jones feeling.

I think flight 714 to Sidney is more dissmissable than Shooting Star. Shooting Star is kinda essential for me. It marks this Adventure thing you know from Carl Barks uncle scrooge and this scientific background.

As a germanfag, we had the film, the tv adaption and even tintin as an audiobook. They were really great. Did any other nation had an audio adaption as well?

The one where Captain Haddock and Tintin join to fight the great blithering earthworms.

Faithfull to the original.

How? I can agree to say its your typical youth adventure story. But it really formed and predicted the cinema and book stuff. Maybe i mix it with Spielberg saying Tintin inspired his take on movies, but i think that Tintin helped a lot of movies to have this adventure approach and scientific feel.

Lol

It was Rastapopulous in Alpha-Art, right?

Wonder if Herge would just ignore the whole "he was abducted by aliens" thing.

It could only have been German anarchists!

I have no idea why I laughed at something so juvenile.

I wonder what Tintin would read like today?
More sci-fi?

kino

Or would it be more adventurelike?

Or more horror?

Man, I'm a sucker for those fan covers
I wish the guy that did the Lovecraft ones actually drew a whole comic, like that guy that completed Alph-art on his own.

I really need to see if any of the Tintin books I had as a kid are still at my family home or if they got lost in a move/given to charity during a clear out.

I was never really into comics as a kid (at least not american or british ones) but my parents gave me Tintin and Asterix.

>Alpha-Art
Someonedid? Must find that!

>Lovecraft
Me too

>surname Haddock
>relatives turn out to be fish people
>goofy, rowdy, drunken fish people

I want it.

Haddock's family ask him to search out a cousin/aunt/uncle that they know about but who moved away and noone knows what happened.

Not their normal type of mission but damn it it's for family.

I believe there has been multiple attempts to complete the Alph-art by fans, but the most well known and "Herge-like" is the one by Yves Rodier, a big Tintin fan, who spent 5 years working on it

Here you go user, have fun:
blackkat.net/tintin/pdf/24 - Tintin And The Alph-art.pdf

I love that too. It also makes the episode a good entry for people new to the character: In the span of a single episode you see him do things and solve situations, and at the end it gives you a "there's more!" feel that pushes you to go and watch the entire show and read all the books.

It worked perfectly on me.

>All of them
this
The idea that there would be "dismissable" Tintins boggles my mind. They're early installments, and are a little rough, but they have the same feel and you ought to have them

It was always adventure first, scifi a distant second and weird fantastic shit trailing far in the back.There's like 2 albums with weird "magic" shit happening without having a Rahan style "actually it was all smokes and mirrors" twist, which is why all those Lovecraft inspired covers trigger me.

Thx very much

Good points.

We're in agreement that the tv show had one of the single greatest themes, correct?

youtu.be/N_EK_tFz9ug

How come Asterix despite losing both of its creators is having new books but not Tintin? Was Hergé THAT good?

It's up there with Indiana Jones for sure

You say that like quality is a factor at all in a world where people buy shit because of the brand that's on it, or if Asterix post Goscinny was still as good as before.

Anyway, Hergé's estate won't allow anyone else to publish official Tintin books, and he never wanted anyone else to write it when he was alive either.
Goscinny and Uderzo never asked that Astérix stays their baby only.

Herge had better lawyers.

Why the fuck would they need lawyers? They allowed other people to make Astérix, it wasn't forcibly taken from them.

Yes, whatever it costs it's worth it.

Though it was weird that they made Tintin in America; the earliest comic they adapted, the last episode of the series. You're watching this great series and loving all of these characters and suddenly the last episode is a standalone adventure of no real consequence with just Tintin and Snowy. When I first watched it as a kid; before I even knew about the Tintin comics, I was left quite confused.

If you want to read something that's definitely in the vein of Tintin, there's The Adventures of Julius Chancer; specifically the Rainbow Orchid series. It's a 1930s globetrotting adventure story drawn in the exact same style as Tintin.

garenewing.co.uk/rainboworchid/

Tin Tin in Molenbeek

At least the anglos put effort in the "Tintin in Sweden" title font.

It is. not the only one. See Lord of the Ring or Jurassic Park, StarWars.

I will be forever disappointed that we never got a John Williams arrangement of it with the Spielberg - Jackson Tintin movie.

U jelly that Belgians have best boy

Because sometimes artist find successors. Some involve other artists that can work on that heritage. See Spirou, Smurfs or Lucky Luke.

>Asterix post Goscinny was still as good as before.
Can agree. The last one of Uderzo were not so good, but because he went out of touch with comics or readers. And he hated manga which seemed to crippled him to make funny history tales.

This here, Uderzo himself searched for and supervised the new artists. I heard he still is involved.

Get better

You're just anal-flustered that Tintin is better than Asterix.

Or like this.

Sometimes you wont get 100%

>More Skut
Nice

I liked the movie. Kinda disappointed that there is no 2nd.

All of them are kino

Jackson said it would happen but it was back in 2012.

Most of them are good. You can also check out the unfinished Alph-Art. Also, are we ever getting that second movie?

That was before he expanded The Hobbit out into a trilogy and kind of burned himself out.

Only thing thats bother me in this cover is that Dunwich doesn't have fish people, innsmouth does
Yes, me too

But does it need fish people? For me the tentacles are enough.

He's actually saying that Asterix post Goscinny wasn't good, which I agree with. They went from mediocre to downright garbage.
But Goscinny is a really tough act to follow. I mean, Lucky Luke had a life before Goscinny and after it, and it was never as good (although it does have a few post Goscinny albums that are good on their own as well).

I'm french too and those guy are right, Tintin >>> Astérix
The only comics I would put before Tintin is Gaston

Oh misread that.
I liked them.The only i really disliked were the one with the aliens and the birtday book.
Maybe im too easy to impress?

>Tfw Corto Maltese will never have an animated series as good as Tintin's
>Tfw Corto Maltese will always be overshadowed by Tintin
I feel like none of the few movies and the short lived TV series it got really lived up to the books like Tintin's show did.

Trust me, you do not want a modern day sequel of your favorite childhood comic whose original author died. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

I was just kidding. I love Tintin but Goscinny was 10 times the writer Hergé wished he was.

Corto Maltese doesnt really lends itself for an animated movie/series as well as Tintin, both because of the art and the nature of the stories.
I'd say it probably works better as literature than animation, while Tintin would be awful in text form.

Not always.

Overrated.

Nah, Bonhomme is incredible.
On the other hand the second "vu par" is underrated.

It's not that irrelevant, Hergé liked Planète, and even drew Bergier in vol 714 (the alien friend). It was him who was responsible for the knowing of lovecraft in france, and diffusion of discussion about pseudo-sciences ; I suggest any user to research about him, it's fun. Good luck if not francophone in any way tho. I do believe the morning of the magicians was traduced, and is an interesting read.