X-Men thread. Stupid retcons and stupid ideas editions

I think this is the stupidest retcon and idea that succeeded and became canon.
It also has a surprisingly large number of fan art, but then, it may be a single autist making a lot of fan art or paying for it.
I only wish someone remembered Nightcrawler has 2 living half brothers from Azazel, and repowered them, especially Abyss.

Some bad ones which didnt succeed would be Aaron's god awful Hellfire Club with little kids, and the Nova Roma was never real hurr durr thing, that was rectonned again as a lie of Selene. Amara was never a kidnapped British girl.

Some recent smaller things Marvel is ignoring right now are the new adult bara body Anole got in Lemire's Extraordinary X-Men (they are drawing him as a kid with a big arm, as usual), and the horrible IvX Judge Dredd Emma Frost costume she never used anywhere, and even had a cover with that costume modified because of that (they turned her into Magik)

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Lupine
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

red pill me on what you're talking about

>Kurt is a mutie that looks like a demon
>Austen comes along and literally makes him demon-spawn
Shit's retarded.

Hasn't that been a thing for decades? I'm not saying it isn't dumb but why are you getting mad at it now?

because for a decade it was not referenced at all, until some people remembered that, and suddenly we had an Azazel story arc, and Secret Wars Goblin Queen turning Nightcrawler into her half demon pet teleporter.
Also, Nightcrawler is immortal now because he was resurrected without a soul. So he can die.

Being resurrected without a soul is like being resurrected normally, but you become immortal, and some writer may make you a bit more edgy.

he "CAN'T" die. sorry

That sounds dumb, who was it? aaron?

Why was Mystique forgiven so easily for killing Moira McTaggert?

Actually, Austen's run ended up saying that the Azazel clan are just mutants who ancient people thought were demons, and since they have all the powers of a demon and can teleport to Hell, they said "fuck it" and decided to go along with the name.

>Secret Wars Goblin Queen turning Nightcrawler into her half demon pet teleporter.

That didn't happen quite the way you remember it. Kurt being part demon is mentioned but it isn't the reason why he got corrupted

look at this
Nightcrawler being a half demon teleporter was for some reason very convenient for her, like a perfect birthday gift

ok, I was wrong, this was Magik, not Maddie

You know with the current Marvel landscape I'm sure the idea of Mystique as Kurt's "father" would get okayed by editorial.

The teleporting is more important. She needs to get out of the barrier and Nightcrawler is the only way

I was really surprised when they casted Azazel in First Class

Something that was forgotten about this retcon is Angel having healing blood and belonging to a rival race.

The more that is forgotten about this retcon t he better

Not a plural of decades. It came from Chuck Austen, who was writing at the same time as Grant Morrison in the 2000s.

I dunno, humanoid wolf-race that evolved secretly alongside humans and every feral mutant is one is pretty dumb.

he was cool in the movie at least

Also, Jean shold have stayed dead, or she resurrected cos she was actually Phoenix all along.

I had forgotten completely about that retcon. Also, for that retcon they killed Wild Child, now both 616 and AoA Wild Child are dead.

That retcon is dangerous because it could be used by Marvel to say Wolverine isn't a mutant.
The Romulus shit.

that retcon is extremly shit because Marvel can't explain what happened with Jean. nobody is sure if she was asleep in a bubble in the ocean anymore. It's like Marvel wants us to just not think about it.

I still don't understant how Whedon resurrected Colossus.

>That retcon is dangerous because it could be used by Marvel to say Wolverine isn't a mutant.

So? That won't affect the movies and the comics can't get worse

Stupidest retcons?
How is that nobody has posted this one? I think it is the king.

if that happens we'll get Avengers Wolverine forever in the comics, separated from the X-Men in the same way Rogue has been separated from them since Uncanny Avengers.

BP writing crew retconned his and Storm's meeting. Thankfully they retconned it back.
Probably the worst thing that's happened in a long time.

The comics are already shit. The only way they'll get better is if Ike dies

Since this is an x-men thread, I'll share two thoughts I had recently with you.

One, had Miles doing some side-spying on a potential mutie threat. Emma finds him. Emma uses telepathy to make him stand still while scolding him for sneaking. Emma proceeds to turn into diamond and knee his nuts a few times while he's immobilised. Just a thought.

I also thought that it'd be nice to have some Quire/Emma interactions. He'd make a decent pupil for her, back when she was willing to try to be a teacher.

Movie Azazel made him seem cooler. Too bad they killed him off and I guess ignored them all being related.

What's up with Romulus?

if I had to make a gay retcon, I would make Exodus gay.
The gay is probably a virgin, has never shown romantic interest in anybody, and his Marvel Knights origin story reads like a gay man with a crush on his straight friend (a pre encarnation of Dark Knight) who gets jealous when his straight friend falls in love with a woman.

I would also make him be Magneto-sexual, with the dirty secret that he touched Magneto when Magneto was braindead and Exodus had to care for him in Avalon.

I try to forget it exists. When I do remember it I hope it is revealed as Jean unintentionally making them gay.

I'm going to go off the beaten path a bit. Over the weekend there was at least two Satana-centric threads so I went back and started reading her stuff from the beginning and was surprised that Claremont wrote a lot of her early stories; Conway wrote two or three but Claremont did the rest of her appearances up until she dies in Marvel Team-Up #81. It all suffers a bit from the fact that her appearances are sporadic but there's a story he builds up regarding an evil creature called the Basilisk and Satana's desire to live not at the whims of good or evil or what others like her father want from her but free and on her own terms. Real good shit. Fun fact is that the people she was hunting down in those stories were servants of the N'Garai too.

Basically I say this because I'm surprised that, even with her death in MTU, that Claremont didn't find a way to incorporate her into the X-Men the same way he did Carol. The guy always had his pet characters, especially women. I like imagining a scenario where Satana would've been mentoring Illyana in New Mutants.

I stopped reading X-men for a while around the time "Vulcan is the third and worst Summers brother" happened.

Anyone remember Vulcan...

I like the concept of the Hellfire Babies but christ did they not work at all. Like what's even the point of it? What are you trying to say

It's not real, as shit as Austen and the Draco is people (intentionally?) misread that story. Azazel is part of a race of early mutants that, because of their appearance, gave rise to the idea of angels and demons or whatever. Azazel isn't any sort of actual demon, he's just a mutant.

the last time I saw Vulcan mentioned was when Remender resurrected Banshee as a Horseman of Apocalypse, and Banshee attacked Havok angry because a Summer's brother had been his murderer.

Banshee was defeated by Wasp getting into his mouth and shooting at his vocal chords. And he has been alive but in a tank, in captivity, ever since.

Daken who was also resurrected and turned into a horseman, is all normal and healthy instead, and appearing the X-23 books.

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Lupine

Is Day of Future Past canon?

I disliked it, and they retconned out of existance without any explanation. Bunn's Uncanny had Shaw, Magneto, Monet and Black Tom in the Hellfire Club.

The same happened to Fantomex who was divided in 3 by Fraction, with his female part being Lesbian with Psylocke.
He is whole again but it wasnt explained how, just mentioned that it happened.

ACKNOWLEDGE MY EMMA CBT!

>Scanner
She was a sweet girl who helped Cyclops get back to the X-Men and they couldn't even extend membership to her and help her redeem herself for being a "villain". What assholes.

Bru's X-Men is pretty bad. Deadly Genesis is one of the my least favorite X-Men stories ever. It's up there with BotA and The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier.

Best X-Men Writers?

They're still around. They're holding some kind of auction (I can't remember what for) in Generation X. Also Fenris are alive again somehow.

Claremont,Yost,Morrison,Whedon

Osborn and Gwen Stacy had consensual sex and had twins.

Still mad and I'm not even a Gwen fan.

How many times has Daken died in canon?
And can anyone that reads the xmen gold blue or whatever teel me if magneto will send the fake o5 back to their time?

INHUMANS.

Are shit

I dont think QQ is a good choice for an Emma team.
He is stronger than her, a true Omega, and he chose Wolverine over Cyclops in Schism. He would only follow her if he were still obsessed about the Cuckoos, and they had decided to follow Emma.

I think Hellion (because of his name and how he got called monster), Ernst/Martha, the Cuckoos, and some forgotten characters like Mondo whom we saw recently in blue, or some forgotten acolytes like Neophyte, would make more sense.

Also, Tarot was alive recently in Spiderman/Deadpool 11, but I don't know if it's canon because it was written by Penn from Penn & Teller. It was a fill in issue.
She would be perfect for an Emma team. Negasonic Teenage Warhead too because she died in Emma's arms in Genosha.

Claremont, Morrison, Carey, Gillen. Nicieza and Lobdell were good too.

I forgot, this is Tarot being alive

The cloud killing mutants was flat out retarded. It's like they want us to hate them.

Aw. This make me wish she wasn't dead.

Wow, user, you're such a subtle, talented writer, how do you capture these characters so well

Quentin didn't choose logan, he was taken there prisoner.
I think they're a good match because he's an undisciplined, stronger version of her. He'll learn to stick to a goal and think things true, she'll learn not to overestimate herself and how to teach someone who doesn't grovel to her. Plus, cuckoos are bootleg emma, you can't like them and not want to fuck her.

I dont know if she is or not. They never explained why Negasonic Teenage Warhead is alive.

But it was extremely dumb how they resurrected Doug, and used the Hellions as enemies of the New Mutants twice in their last run, but as tecno-zombies, they couldnt even bother to resurrect them.

He stayed when Scott came to the mansion and gave students the option to follow him.

I think the real question here is why would you want to use QQ when there's a hundred other kid mutants out there that aren't completely awful?

I like him. We lack male telepaths anyway.

Her death was very painful, and very early 90s.

she was resurrected twice afterwards.
Once by King Bedlam, and another time by Selene in Necrosha.

And if Spiderman/Deapool 11 from last year is canon, she has been resurrected 3 times

a male telepath who is a blank slate is the little son of "Nurse Annie" from Austen's run. The kid who called Havok his father. You must remember him from Lorna's failed wedding.

He seems to have been possessed by Cassandra Nova when he left the school, but this plotline was never touched again.
He should have been depowered in M Day but then many M Day depowered mutants got back their powers without an explanation.

> (OP)
>Stupidest retcons?
>How is that nobody has posted this one? I think it is the king.
You easily win. I hope to God that nothing that stupid happens again... But this is close.
Who am I again?

Who am I again?

if Morrison had not been a cunt, Xorneto could have been Joseph mind controlled by Esme.
And by killing him, we would have gotten rid of an unpopular character.

He isnt dead btw, just in limbo, and he was not m day depowered.

Ah this edge. This shit dialouge which is supposed to be witty and modern. Let me guess. This is Hopeless' work.

And if Joe Quesada didnt exist, we would all have a Merry Christmas.

Honestly I like the idea of a chinese mutant with immense power reading books and manifestos by Magneto then deciding to copy him without understanding any of the moral complexities of the man's character.

it's a better idea than Magneto doing it for sure

>Dat mystique

should be her canon look

How could you possibly?

surprising amount of fan art

>Hellfire babies

Why the fuck did they bring them back in GenX? WHY? Who likes the concept?

But wasn't Joseph already dead, as in his whole body disintegrated. It would have been prett dumb to resurrect him just for a cheap bait and switch.

I don't know what happened at the end of it, but there was an arc about a bunch of shitty clones that brought Joseph back.

Astra, who created him brought him, back during the Utopia era and now he was evil because now he had Magneto's old crazy Magneto era memories. Magneto beat him and he was holed up in the brig but who knows where he is now?

I do prefer the scaled look from the movies. Though they really fucked up the costume for JLaw.

I also don't mind it getting downplayed a bit as well so they're less noticeable but still enough to differentiate her from other spraypainted humans

Also, I like how the artist managed to arrange everyone so we can still see her crotch. I'm not being sarcastic, either

>Making existing characters gay.

Haven't we learned anything from Iceman?

Exodus is a zealot who worshipped Magneto like a god, there's no reason to make this sexual, there's already enough to work with there, now that Magneto has moved on and left him behind, trying to get his master's attention and approval.

He was definitely straight in Age of Apocalypse, but in 616, it's canon that he took a vow of celibacy and is like a warrior monk.

While it would be interesting for a minute for Exodus being gay, it would turn into a pander party. Modern Marvel is just terrible.
I like that a character can exist for more than terrible sexual drama. Thats one of the reasons why he was such a scary character (the genesis game helped)

>Exodus
>Scary

Is this a joke?

What's wrong with it?

I'm not like a massive, massive X-Men fan. I read them in the mid nineties as well as some Claremont classics, but I am a massive Wolverine fan and he's a member of the X-Men so fuck it I'll go with my most hated retcon of his which was one of the two things (the other being the end of Civil War) which made me give up cape comics for about ten years.

Returning his memory and giving him a canon backstory. This shit is fucking stupid and destroys the mystique of the character. Also there's so much fun you can have with some dude who has a grudge/friendship with Logan and Logan has no idea who this person is. You can play around with how old Wolverine is, maybe he was around in the middle-ages, or even earlier? There is so much you can do, but they threw that all out for some Romulus bullshit and a bisexual edgelord of a son and his name being sucking James!

Fuck that! If I ever got to write Wolverine I'd begin it with Scarlet Witch basically saying that Wolverine's memories aren't real. She couldn't find them out so she basically made up a backstory for him.Some of the stuff can stay, but otherwise is back to no solid backstory for Sniktbub.

yes

>Stupid retcons and stupid ideas
Doesn't that account for like, the larger part of all X-Men continuity?

Sometimes there are good retcons, like Cyclops' dad being a space pirate fighting the bird emperor

Lol

Why does her hair change colors?

I still don't know what the deal with Silver Fox was. I guess her and Wolverine were supposed to be lovers but it doesn't seem like there was ever much said about their relationship while it always just shows them as merc buddies (with Sabretooth and Maverick and whoever), and then she's a Hydra agent who's killed.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing her come back for that reason. Copycat too.

>Ah this edge.

He's still mad about Avengers Arena