ITT: Comics you were told were great that you didn't enjoy

ITT: Comics you were told were great that you didn't enjoy

After reading Shigurui and loving it, Ronin felt like a kindergarten play compared to a night at the theater.

I mean it wasn't bad, I guess I just had my expectations too high. Also I enjoyed Red Son a lot more after reading Injustice, Red Son is morally gray Superman done right imo

I've read every issue of Tomasi's Superman and I just can't find any enjoyment in it. It just feels like cutesy pandering and nothing stories. Different strokes , I guess, since Sup Forums loves it

I thought it was boring desu

Thank you.

Doesn't help that the art sometimes makes one middle-aged Brit look the same as another.

Carl Barks' Uncle Scrooge.
All the buzz about it being so much better than the old DuckTales cartoon and yet it was just as dull.

Killing Joke is edgy dogshit. I'd rather read Batman Odyssey again.

Right? Like the art isn't bad at all but it wasn't what the story needed. This is one of the few times I prefer the movie to the book.

It would've helped if they kept it black and white like in the original.

Why are western b/w comics so unpopular in the US?

Sin city and max pain are both pretty popular

>Red Son is morally gray Superman done right imo
Yeah, you can tell he legitimately wants to do what is right but also wants to keep the dream alive, Red Son is a story about Superman getting crushed by his own legacy

This honestly

Watchmen, I always see people comparing the comic with the movie but I ended up having more fun with the movie to be honest

Sandman too, I enjoyed the Endless shenanigans but most of the stories were a snorefest

Tintin
Asterisk

Anything French really, they're very overated

I meant on a more mainstream level. 2000 AD used to be black and white. Italy still has a boatload of black and whites. Japan's entire manga industry is black and white. The lack of colour hasn't done them anything bad.

Watchmen is something I always have to read end to end in a sitting or two. It's kind of tough to keep straight otherwise

>Asterisk
Wow, sounds like a fun comic. Care to tell us what you think of Asterix, also?

Read all of this and didn't like it at all.

I read this after Shigurui as well but I still liked it a lot.

I agree. I can't wait for him and Jurgens to leave so someone can make Superman great again

Honestly I feel like it's about showing off. Color is expensive and the West used to boast it whenever they had the chance in early media. Since then it was seen as cheap but now it seen as bold. Idk I need more whisky

JSA, Starman, and Morrison's JLA. Guess I just don't like straight up superheros. All Star Superman was some weird exception.

Homestuck
I guess I got annoyed by it way too soon

>Why are western b/w comics so unpopular in the US?

I wish I knew. Probably just to charge more. I mean those 600 ~ page b/w Usagi Yojimbo collections are $25

Tomasi needs to be banned from writing fathers and sons
He can't help but self insert

I don't hate it, but I think it's run it's course. Tomsai did a wonderful job of introducing Jon and establishing him and such. That said, I think it's time to reign it back a bit and let Superman do other things and let Jon be in Supersons and Teen Titans

every single one of them

I need to start reading Usagi Yojimbo then.

Ronin feels more static and not as dependent on smooth storytelling. The battle in the first issue felt like barely connected pictures that maybe told a story through images if you squinted.

it was ok for me but i find weird how short it was

i have to confess i always skip the pirate comic stuff

>The battle in the first issue felt like barely connected pictures that maybe told a story through images if you squinted.

I don't know if you mean the opening sword fight or the fight with he rat creature, but I just looked at my Ronin collection and the scene flows well.

Have you read Yamaguchi's other works?

>Tomasi needs to be banned from writing
FTFY

This
It reads like a generic adventure comic.

Anything by tom king outside of grayson

It's just overrated by a bunch of Europeans who grew up reading this shit and nostalgic for it. In reality, it's just the capeshit of Europe.

This and Kingdom come. Red son wasn't bad just not for me. Kingdom come imo is honestly garbage.

Walking Dead? Sin City is kinda big with normies.

Does Millar think that DPRK is capitalist?

It felt like those rants you often read in Sup Forums about how superman is the best, and how him not being the most superhero anymore is a sign of the decadence of the civilisation but in comic form.

Alex Ross's art just doesn't work in sequence.

Well, if you weren't such a pleb, you would've enjoyed it.

Batman The Long Halloween. Art style just turned me off, and found it boring in general. I bought Hush on the same day and loved it even though everyone on Sup Forums and in the lcs told me it sucked.

Morally grey? He was just plain evil.

Mouse Guard is bland and its characters are flatter than the paper they're printed on.

On the topic of spicy Superman opinions, I finished All Star Superman the other day...and it wasn't bad. But I don't think Superman, even at his "peak" is my kind of guy.

The story had weird fluctuations of too goofy to becoming very serious. Which in Superman's defense, I think that's the point.

Oh and the art is ugly

>I don't think Superman, even at his "peak" is my kind of guy.

Nah, it's not that. Superman at his best has no 'kind of guy/fan' unless they are a complete edgelord who shops at Hot Topic. He was loved worldwide and in general for a reason.

The issue is that All-Star Superman is overhyped trash. And I say that with regret as I have a copy on my shelf because of Sup Forums. It's almost like the writer and artist masurbating to the Donner movies and pre-crisis days. And yea, the art IS ugly.

I much prefer stories where things are a little more mature in tone. Kingdom Come for example. Red Sun where we get to see his ideals in a different setting, where he eventually comes to realise he is not the 'good' guy, despite being a good and noble man.

Shazam/Superman: First Thunder is amazing, especially when Supes confronts the wizard, one of the few beings in the universe who could casually swat him out of existence, and lectures him on making a child into Captain Marvel.

I even enjoy the DCEU Superman. It explores a different side to him.

Even with the required tie-ins it's still a pointlessly convoluted mess.

Maybe just your taste is bad since you enjoy thrash like Kingdom Come, Red Son and First Thunder.

Didn't like the art
The writing was kind of weak

>ohyou.jpg

>Usagi Yojimbo collections are $25
Really? I might have to pick them up, just because of how cheap they are.

I didn't think All Star Superman was all that in a bag of chips either, but I loved the art.

None of the characters are remotely likeable either. Just a bunch of boring assholes.

Yeah, I actually like Superman, but All-Star isn't that fun and kind of navel gaze-y

Why would a Russian superman be a loyal communist though?

Because he was raised a communist.

>This is one of the few times I prefer the movie to the book.
No, you fucked up your whole post with this. The movie is a simplistic piece of shit that totally misses the point, the comic is actually portraying both sides of the coin, it shows you that the fascist guys are not cartoony evil. Meanwhile in the movie they go full "BOMB THE MEDIA WITH FEAR BECAUSE FEAR IS OUR FUEL, YEAAAAAAAAH, WE LOVE BEING THE BAD GUYS FUCK THE PEOPLE".

Yeah, V was much bigger dick than fascist leader

Watchmen. I was actually really engaged with the beginning and middle. However, about the last third of it got over-expository and the art got stiffer. I remember coming across some info saying that Moore had some dissatisfaction with the later part of it's production, so at least I know it isn't just me.

The pirate content was retarded. Comic books are already a vehicle for subtle comparative imagery, so there was no reason to include a comic within a comic mirroring what's going on in what readers are already seeing.

I foolishly went in expecting it to be on the same level of Swamp Thing for some reason it was just kind of boring.

Also the meta elements, outside of coyote gospel, were shit and cringy