Is he right? Do we really need flaws on minority Sup Forums characters...

Is he right? Do we really need flaws on minority Sup Forums characters? Does it defeat the point all of those anti-diversity people are bringing up, about minority characters being coddled, by Marvel mostly?

Nothing benefits form being put on a pedestal. Especially not angry intolerant minorities.

>black
>muslim
>transgender
>feminists

they are already flawed

Sam gets shit on more than anyone

I don't think OP or the fag in the screencap have any idea about what constitutes a character flaw.

No it’s a bad take. Doesn’t really make sense. Also the obvious point that the characters aren’t perfect

Movie Bob is an insane manchild and I have no idea why anyone pays even the slightest bit of attention to him.

You don't put flaws on characters to fill arbitrary quotas, you put flaws because it makes them more human characters. Some characters have the defining trait of being flawless, but we passed the saturation point on those a long time ago. So yes, they need flaws.

>the world beating you down
>is a personal flaw
>and it's problematic that you dare to deserve better as a human being
Did I read that correctly?

I disagree in a way, because character flaws are arbitrary. You can grow up to have them from such an infinite srouce of random event in your life, you never need actual excuses/eplanation to have them.

Depends on what the character's for, how much screen or panel time they receive, etc. If they don't get much attention it's okay for them not to have flaws, but if they have much of a point in they story and you don't want them to be boring, it's a good idea for any character to have some sort of flaw. It's also okay to have a character who's perfect in every way, but that's something that's normally reserved for comedy or for making a point about something, not someone you tend to focus on for too long. Minority status has nothing to do with it.

I don't understand why he is using Kamala as an example. She is one of the few marvel diversity characters with flaws and her own supporting cast

Do we really have to talk about niggers and mudslimes constantly on Sup Forums? Is it culture club, or comic book club?

Riri would be much better one, she's constantly being praised for her actions and non-actions by supporting cast, who seem to exist only for that.

>tfw still remember when The Escapist fired him

It was orgasmic

>MovieBob
This is a guy who literally wrote a book about Super Mario Bros. where the emotional climax was him working up the courage to move out of his parent's house at 35

If so, there's such a bad reading of the criticism. Disadvantages aren't character flaws. Physically disable isn't a character flaw, being a prick is. Being from a race with less social power is a disadvantage, being a showboat is a character flaw. Having expectations put on based on your gender is a disadvantage, being a push over is a character flaw.

Why won't that stupid fat cunt have a heart attack and die already?

having character with flaws make you able to identify to them but also to have interesting character, with depth
I can't care about perfect Riri

This is apologism, it's not about putting characters against the odds, it's about development. If you make a minority character perfect because they're a minority, that's still just racism.

See 'Magical Negro'

People say all this shit as if Bendis didn't once write a semi decent Miles who was kind of useless at being Spidey and knew it - and that's why people loved him. Then his venom thing became a crutch and that was that.

Contrast to Riri who is so Tumblr she's sociopathic. She's not a character, she's a set of topical values for column inches.

Some people like watching trainwrecks in slow motion.

This guy can always manage to overthink think shit and come to the absolute dumbest conclusion.

I agree that characters should have flaws. You need that to make interesting stories. You make that to make your charaters human and relatable.
The big literature isnt big because characters have no flaws. Even Sherlock Holmes has flaws like he is more over autistic, isnt always correct and has a human sidekick with humanly flaws.

Because Sup Forums doesn't know any better. Look at these replies. They took the bait with hook, line and sinker

There is a reason that Sup Forums is considered /x/-tier, albeit /x/ is less dumb

Both Rich and Sam deserve better.

Hi, user. Want to see my tulpa waifu? Also, my grandmother was a viking witch

You know how Moviebob says that Batman v. Superman gets worse the more you think about it?

The same can be said of Moviebob's world view.

Remember how we talked about ending your posts one sentence earlier?

The South Park game is really great at this, by the way. Some rednecks show up to fight you no matter what you identify as, and if you're trans Cartman gives you shit for it and tells everyone to call you the wrong pronouns, while PC Principal is busy beating up a guy for saying his friend looks tired, which is apparently a microagression. Then you go home and your parents are arguing about whose fault it is that you're such a freak, and you eat dinner and go to bed alone while they drink and smoke their problems away.

In other words, completely accurate to the experience of a trans kid.

Marvel seems to believe that readers want Wish Fulfillment characters, and this drives their decisions, particularly regarding diversity and plotlines. Based on how audiences are responding though, I don't think this is a correct reading. Audiences want EXPERIENCES, ones they can connect with yes, but not shallow or meaninglessly.

What Bob is suggesting here is that white characters, coming from a posistion of privilege, need flaws to balance and make them more human. But minorities who lack privilege, do not require these - because their minority status is their 'flaw'

How can it not be seen how backhandedly racist this is?

It is first of all, encouraging a mind-set of victimization. It is second of all suggesting that being a minority is somehow a FLAW, when the erasure of that notion should be the goal.

It could be argued that this would not reflect reality, that despite our desires, in real life black (just for example) people are NOT treated equally no matter how much they should be. And thus to be truthful, we must reflect this.

However, I believe that this is nothing more than self-perpetuating the problem. In the 60's and 70's the challenge was EXPOSING to the world inequalities. However, the collective conscious is more accepting of the idea that there is inequality now more than ever. Preventing complacency and forgetfulness is important, given how human minds work, but the pushback being experienced now is - in my opinion - largely the fact that people are being told inequality exists but provided no solutions or examples. It behooves culture makers to provide examples of how society SHOULD be in this instance, to provide examples. People, being reminded of the problem over and over again but given no solutions or examples see the creator as nothing more than a whiner, harping about an issue but offering nothing else. A siren is necessary for safety but you still want to shut the damn thing OFF.

Bet you feel real big using that kinda language on an anonymous board.

You're part of the reason this shit is even happening, trigger happy liberals making up for dumb shits like you.

He's essentially saying that ethnicity overrides basic expectations for proper storytelling.

And he uses the phraise "lower-middle-class" like the corporate Democrat faggot that he is.

It's still more interesting than constant discussion about blacks

No, bro. "Liberals" will not control my thoughts or language. Also, the reason this shit is happening is because you make it to happen.

And just like in real life skin colour is portrayed as making your life harder but in reality there's no difference but your own perception.

So beloved characters like Superman or Captain America, why do they resonate so much? Because they try. They try, very hard. And often they succeed. And sometimes they fail. And they may be larger than life or seemingly perfect, but when handled properly, they all retain that humanity: they're flawed but they live like an example despite it. They provide an ideal to look up to and work towards, and they are humanized by our ability to see their thoughts and doubts - a facet of storytelling unique to comics. A comic book page can deliver a soliloquy without breaking pace or action, in a way that is difficult for a play or a book to replicate, and near impossible for a movie.

So good job, you pulled the fire alarm. Now stop congratulating yourself for it and grab a bucket or get out of the way. Shits on fire yo.

or instead of writing characters one personality trait as female, trans, gay , black or what ever we can write well defined interesting characters!! like batwoman, luke cage and wonder woman

Fair enough.

of course she's got flaws. she's a sociopath

So... being Muslim is a character flaw? Good to know.

based on the information available about the religion... yes. Knowingly being a muslim is a character flaw

It certainly is not a virtue, nor positive trait

>because their minority status is their 'flaw'
Well that's a boring comic then.

fuck that. all of marvel deserves better than its current staff

She's a Muslim.
I can see how you can mistake one for another, but sociopaths at least don't fuck goats for the most part.

it a character trait, someone can have big or small hand without it being a flaw

is there a kill yourself option?
I'd love to have the full trans experience

>trigger happy liberal alert

No. Islam is a moral allegiance. It's not a physical feature, albeit muslims look the same

Why isn't starting a thread with twitter screenshots a banable offense yet? especially when it's a literal who's tweets.

Same reason people pay attention to Dobson.

Also, who needs to make up a strawman for everything we hate when Dobson and Moviebob are the living breathing equivalent of that? No strawman could ever match their bullshittery.

>Islam is a moral allegiance
>Islam moral
kek

haven't seen her fucking a goat, but who knows. maybe her dad or brother is stretching her out behind the scenes, that would definitely assure she's more of a muslim than a sociopath

It actually reduces the amount of money you make, and some people will like you less. The combat itself does not get any more difficult.

moral allegiance can be good or evil. Islam is of course evil

i still say it was too gimmicky to insert it

dis nigga get's it

>Do we really need flaws on Sup Forums characters
What the fuck do you think?

I think it would have been funnier if they hadn't announced it beforehand. You'd see it, have a chuckle and move on. I don't get why games have to spoil shit like this, although comics are FAR worse about spoiling stuff.

You mean «thugs» or «magical negroes» which are the only two ways to write black characters these days.

Because like the TF2 thread suggests, people like flawed characters. Compare the TF2 Mercs with the Overwatch Heroes.

Being part of a militaristic religion made by and for militaristic tribal societies, yes. I guess sacking towns, owning slaves and having multiple wives/housekeepers is your thing?

Miss America Chavez bring the worst of them all

Which ones are worse?

It's not like blacks are doing a good job in presenting themselves the way asians do.

So Bob is arguing minorities don't need any actual flaws because them being minorities is already a flaw in itself. Bob is a fucking racist.

I wish people would learn that Twitter isn't meant for long rants or stories.

>The South Park game is really great at thi
pft hahaha HAHAHAHAHA
I can't believe you had to shill that shit ina comic board.

Didn't he compare something about Mario games with 9/11?

>Having expectations put on based on your gender is a disadvantage,
Never understood that one. It's an excuse, not an actual disadvantage. You aren't being disabled by people's opinion.

He doesn't realize that what he's proposing is pretty damn racist for all parties involved?

>white guys need flaws because fuck whitey
>minorities don't because them having it rough is assumed

>The extreme left have gone all the way around back into racism/sexism
But that's always what their position was.
They believe they can be racist because racism is just abuse of a power structure and all power structures support white men.
You see with postmodernism if you just define a term radically different to its actual definition then it doesn't matter if you're being massively hypocritical because according to your new version of the word you aren't.

I think it's really interesting how he equates Peter Parker's "world beating me down" angle with an internal character flaw when Peter having to provide for his aging aunt while juggling school and superheroing is exactly as external as Riri Williams' dads getting shot in a drive-by. Difference is that on top of that, Parker has flaws that he needs to work on and that he knows he needs to work on, while Williams is considered pretty much perfect by the story.

Good stories have conflicts that work on several levels. Internal conflict (moral, emotional) AND external conflict (violence, drama, puzzles politics), that interweave and support each other. If you rip out half of that because your character is already exactly what they need to be to achieve their outward goals, your story is gonna suck. Doubly so when there's no real tension in the external conflict.

Bob can't help but be racist. He's white, after all

he compared the wizard movie to 9/11
and also apparently stayed in his parents car during his grandma's funeral & left it early to install an AC unit because his balls were sweaty or something

they've always been fairly racist, considering that they basically treat minorities like children

>hurr durr white people are evil because people trust them more than niggers

I think he's saying that cape comics are shallowly formulaic and in every character arc, there's only room for one flaw and any sort of identity, cultural, or racial issue can fill that quota.

TF2 characters
>lol nation stereotypes
Overwatch characters
>lol nation stereotypes

>Moviebob
>Right about literally anything
>Ever

I wish I was home at my PC so I could dumb my folder of retarded shit that faggot has spouted.

He's worse than Dobson, he's the single most cancerous e-celeb in existence, he's such a spiteful, hateful, tiny little person it frankly beggars belief.

Moviebob is as wise as the screaming meth addict in front of the store
Hope he legit dies of cancer

Because it's the character everyone knows. Do you think Movie Bob actually reads comics? He's just vapidly blubbering on about a general topic so the people who already agree with him can suck him off.

they nearly didn't get past building 7

That was one intense video game tournament

Regardless of the specifics, the answer to the question "is MovieBlob right?" is always a resounding NO.

The context makes it worse: Bob was hyped as fuck as a child and will never forget how amazing it was seeing Super Mario Bros 3 for the first time.

So he thought of the kind of events that might stay with a generation forever. The Moon landing. The Beetles invading America. Star Wars.

Instead, he wrote and published this.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

>I have no idea what character flaws are for

Further proof that ellipses are always a mistake.

autism speaks

>Moviebob is as wise as the screaming meth addict in front of the store
Hey man. Jimmy's made some insightful arguments regarding universal basic income and it's potential long term benefits.
That's way more than I can say for Bob.

Oswald was armed with the power glove

Reminder that Blob the Chipman wants a world where the "stupid" are culled via eugenics.

I get the feeling Bob is secretly a massive racist or a Harvey Weinstein caliber creep. No white man can be THAT obsessed with progressivism/feminism/Trump without some serious skeletons in his closet. Plus, he used to make rape jokes in his movie reviews and would spend huge portions of them talking about how hot the actresses were.

I still don't know why he uses that piss yellow picture

He uses a bunch of these pictures in his videos.

This prose is fucking atrocious. Isn't he meant to be a journalist?

POV shots of himself getting a golden shower?

No, he isn't. He is a racist, misogynistic asshole that protected a a rapist in Devin Faraci and feels guilty because he picked his career over his friends. He desperately virtue signals to make himself feel better and morally superior to those of us that don't just reblog and retweet his virtue signalling to make him feel better and look better in the eyes of the people he is more then happy to throw under a bus if he thought it'd help him out.

Being black is not a flaw. Being gay is not a flaw. Being a woman is not a flaw. To think otherwise makes you a sad, pathetic human. And anyone that pities you without helping, giving you real help and real advice other than "You should feel that way because you are being held down" isn't progressive. They don't care about you. They just want to make themselves feel better the easiest way they know how. And the easiest way they know how is to make someone else worse then they are. It's the reason people watch shit like Cops and Cheaters. Hell, it's the reason I watch Hoarders. No matter how fucked up my life is, at least I'm not that fucker on TV.

If you have a friend that lets you wallow in self-pity and just affirms whatever shit you are feeling without actually helping you because of what you've got going on in your pants, the color of your skin, or the religion you subscribe you, then congratulations asshole you are an unpaid reality TV star. You are that shitstain's personal fucking Kardashian without the endorsement deal.

Exactly. If I want to know what's going on in the world, I'll turn on the news. Oppression is a lot more reported than it was in the 1950's. There's even profit in saying (honestly or not) that [celebrity] used the word nigger, and people know that.

That's a good way to put it.

Too bad for Bob that career didn't pan out.