Today marks the birth of a new imprint, BLACK CROWN, curated by Shelly Bond. So.. let's give this a try

Today marks the birth of a new imprint, BLACK CROWN, curated by Shelly Bond. So.. let's give this a try.

Written by Peter Milligan with art by Tess Fowler and colors from Lee Loughrdige, this is...

Kid Lobotomy #1

Variant cover by Frank Quitely.

I very much like the idea of Black Crown. Shelly Bond's idea of mixing up a veteran creator with an up and comer is really smart.

And we're off. Not a bad page to start off a new series with.

Heh

>So I play until my fingertips scream. And their scream becomes my own scream.
>Though nobody hears.

Oh good, more work for the janitor.

>Peter Milligan
oh based, thanks OP

'tis me pleasure. This is old school Milligan too.

Monica Bellucci.

for sure man, was just reading Bad Company this morning

What a family of meanies.

>N-no... I'm more of a harp man, myself.
Haha, why did I laugh so hard?
Big fan of Peat Mulligan but never read that. No real reason, I expect it to be good though.

>It's my misfortune to be Franz Kafka.
Haha, love Milligan's dialogue.

Well, isn't that an unfortunate turn of events...

Let's get this out of the way
>teh heart

ruh-roh

Some info on Shelly Bond and what she wants out of Black Crown.

And that's about it, hope I'm not the only one that enjoyed this. I like the sound of Black Crown, I like the fact that the titles will have letters columns with the actual creators responding. I hope the imprint does well, Shelly has edited a lot of stuff I love.

Thanks for the storytime, I really dug this.

No problem.

i really recommend the first two books, most recent one is decent too

so any of the other imprint books good?

I think I put off reading it because I have a strong feeling it'll be good and I just want to have some Milligan comics still left in my backlog. There are only a few of his older things I didn't read. Have you read a lot of Milligan? He's got a lot of fantastic stuff beyond the usual several series that always get mentioned.

We'll have to wait and see. The creative team on PUNKS NOT DEAD is new so I haven't read anything from them but the preview didn't look so good. There's a 2 page preview for Assassinistas included in Kid Lobotomy but it seriously doesn't show much. This page provides more of an insight. Shelly Bond did say that she tried to work with Gilbert Hernandez in the past on a bunch of different projects but he turned them down but he willingly choose to draw this so... don't know if that says anything but he's pretty picky. The Quarterly sounds cool. Don't know how many people read those Vertigo anthologies like SFX or the CMYK but there were a lot of cool short stories in them.

i going through as procedurally as possible in order of release, he actually did a whole lot for 2000ad that most dont even know about

PUNKS NOT DEAD has potential of being good but the preview didn't impress me and the first person narration was weak. I'll give it an issue.
Gilbert Hernandez is cool and the only thing I know about Tini Howard is that she did some essays on Grayson and Grayson was cool. She wrote some comic for Black Mask called The Skeptics but I didn't read it.
For the quarterly there's some dude called Rob Davis that wrote and drew a comic called The Motherless Oven that Shelly strongly recommend and I like her taste so I'll check it out soon enough.

well this is already shit

Does a company like idw really need imprints?

Yeah, he did a lot fo stuff for british publsihers, can't say I read them all but some are jsut silly 6 pagers and stuff. I recall Tribal Memories being cool and of course his various collaborations with Brendan McCarthy as well as Sooner or Later and Hewligan's Haircut, those were awesome.

Does any company NEED imprints?

Tribal Memories is one of the best thing 2000AD has published, tis a crime its so forgotten.

He did a Judge Dredd strip a few weeks back actually, was pretty good, the psychic slasher was the title it think

>'tis me pleasure

I think it's their way of saying "WE HAVE COMICS THAT AREN'T LICENSED PLEASE BUY THEM".

didn't care for it

the britbong writers all write like it's still the 90s and they think "the kids" are still into punk and it just makes all the current comics coming from the old britbong invasion writers seem hopelessly out of touch

that sucked

IDW is one of the worst publishers out there currently

it's a shame because like 5 years ago they were the best publisher in the business

now they've just got TMNT and G.I. Joe A Real American Hero

>He did a Judge Dredd strip a few weeks back actually
Huh. Didn't know that. Who drew it?

'twas a jest, fella. No need to be so serious.

But Kid isn't into punk, he's more of a harp man.

Well Fowler's art is better than when she crapped all over Rat Queens, but its still pretty shit.

I thought it looked pretty nice, the faces weren't very good but it flowed well and other stuff looked good. Colors probably improved the pencils by a lot though.

>Beto

I'm fucking in.

So, Off-Brand Vertigo?

In hell maybe that sounds like shit so drown in hobo piss.

This was pretty cool. Reminds me of Vertigo books in a good way.

Vertigo became... something else. This is kind of an old school Vertigo revival but with a more indie touch.

cant say honestly, had a vague Ewins/McArthy style to it though

Maybe it was Bret's brother? I think I heard McCarthy say he'll do a Judge Dredd story recently too...

McCarthy did art on a Dredd strip a few weeks back. Milligan had a non-Dredd serial running a few months ago too. I think these days Milligan is just trying his hand at a whole bunch of stuff.

I enjoyed this and hope i more issues get story-timed so i can read them too

nah, i say vague but i mean vague, more McCarthy is a delight to hear
Counterfeit girl you mean right, sequel next year apparently

Yeah, he's been doing a lot of stuff in a lot of places all dealing with different subjects and settings, he even worked on that Spirits newspaper magazine thing curated by Sean Phillips(I think), he did a story with Duncan Fegredo. I'm just glad he's doing another series dealing with themes like identity, that's where he excells and imho he's the best at it.

>Counterfeit girl
Was that any good?

Ah.

>an entire imprint of literal whos
Why does this exist?

so so, good but not great

This could actually be an unused cover for "Bite Club"

This wasn't a bad first issue. Reminds me of old Vertigo a bit. Thanks OP.

We're really targeting that twink loving crowd

What's Bite Club?
>Chaykin
Nope.

Brain surgery, incest, madness, and murder.
Just like in my Persian Tapestries.

Loved it.

Don't forget harps.

Yeah, it's bad. I didn't even bother reading the sequel

They made a mistake then since daddies are in now instead of twinks.

That cover is so gay that not loving it is gay.

Looks closer to American Virgin to me

Makes sense.