What now?

I love Adventure Time for its playful occultism, spiritual warrior ethos and healthy masculinity, its references to religions/philosophies around the world, its humour, drama, horror [...]
What to watch now that it's (almost) over?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/user/magusmirificus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well it's October so Over the Garden Wall is always a good answer.
It's a miniseries so you could marathon it within a day.

Yeah, I did download that recently and watched half of it. Really good stuff, hits many of the same spots as Adventure Time for me.
Moomins also come to mind, but I'm hardpressed to think of anything else.

Have ya tried Wander over Yonder?
2 season show of a banjo-ing unstoppable goof who stops evil wherever he can in the most passive of ways.
I want to fuck dominator

I'm skeptical but I will look into it. Thank you.

WOY is my absolute favorite cartoon. if you can get through the first 5 or so episodes of the first season (as they're a little rough), you're in for a hell of a time

Same
Now I don't watch any cartoon except AT, guess I'll just stick to manga after it finish

It does seem interesting, from what I've seen. First episode gives me the impression that this is intended for a younger audience. How would you describe the change that takes place after 5/6 episodes?

Any good manga/anime with a similar flair?

it is definitely intended for younger viewers, no different than AT in that regard, but i'll say that WOY is much more enjoyable due to it's lack of unnecessary drama. The changes after the first 5 or so episodes mostly deal with how characters are handled. you'll be surprised by how much depth is given to the two antagonists, they actually receive 50% of the screen time throughout the entire show, with entire episodes devoted solely to them. As the show goes on the two heroic mains also get more depth as more about their past is revealed. all while being a good spirited, fun, space adventure with the occasional musical breaks (and even a musical episode)

I wouldn't really say it's similar to AT, but I'd check out the Hunter X Hunter anime. It has all the traits OP is looking for, though the tone is very different.

That does sound really good, I would not have expected that kind of attention to character, especially in regards to the villains after parts of the first episode. I would say that AT is intended for an older audience, later seasons especially.

Okidoki.

i forgot to mention the show is also extremely funny, especially when you pick up on jokes about animation and the animation industry

wew

>I love Adventure Time for its playful occultism, spiritual warrior ethos and healthy masculinity, its references to religions/philosophies around the world
its just a dungeons and dragons rip off for kids who are you kidding

You have read a lot of Ernst Jünger and know the Eddas by heart, I can tell.

Star VS adulthood

youre confusing superficial references for the real thing

No, I'm not. Let's just agree to disagree.

is this you?
reddit.com/user/magusmirificus

No, this is me. So you're a reddit user then?

i googled key words in your post and that came up

Sure.

To me, the fact that Adventure Time is equally enthusiastic about depicting the day-to-day existence of its protagonists, as well as the big moments that test and change them, is one of most extraordinary things about it, if not the single most extraordinary. It's a uniquely adult approach that I haven't seen anywhere else in this kind of media, and one of the main reasons it's my favorite show is because it refuses to conform to both the "Silly fun all the time" model exemplified by, say, Spongebob (And most grown-up comedies), and the "Big plot events and status-quo changes are all that matter!" model of Steven Universe and Star vs. the Forces of Evil (And most grown-up dramas).

Counting that fifth point as a flaw puts us on completely different plains as far as how we perceive what the show is doing; to me, the more low-key episodes of Adventure Time are not filler at all, but wonderful pieces of artistry which happen to not connect to the larger, over-arching stories. The emotional and thematic depth of "James Baxter the Horse" or "The Diary" leave me utterly satisfied, not impatient for the Lich or Betty or whoever to show up again. I don't sense timidity in regards to long-form storytelling from those episodes, I sense a very mature grasp of how best to make emotionally truthful art, and a willingness to follow that process with no regard for the internet age's standard of quality programming, which tends to boil down to some combination of "Hype" and "Feels". Adventure Time is not the only ostensible children's show of the past few years to deal with adult topics, but it is the only one that has done so without clearly trying to prove at the same time that it's "Not just for kids". Adventure Time is perfectly comfortable with appearing childish, which, to me, makes it the most grown-up of the bunch.

lol

Is that pasta? Because it's a good point and well worded.

i gonna make OOO a motherfucking joke

>healthy masculinity
>MC is a cuck who can't get a girl

damn

AT has occult references?

>MC is a cuck who can't get a girl

>doesn't mention Jake the Brick
weaksauce

>The Picnic
>A little rough

Damn I was just about to post that. Time Sandwich too.